Video issue (digital camera)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • kentmonkey 4 Sep 2011 19:51:01 20,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Erm, weird problem.

I've shot some videos on my Panasonic TZ-10 before and all has been fine. However, now, all the videos on the memory card are no longer showing up when I connect it to my PC, either directly through the Panasonic software, or via searching the memory card manually.

I thought maybe they had been corrupted, but if you put the memory card back in the camera, you can view all of the videos directly on that. I just can't copy them to the PC.

As I'm trying to send some videos of family to other family members who couldn't be present, this isn't very helpful though.

Anybody have any ideas?
  • Deleted user 4 September 2011 20:16:42
    Can your comp recognize the mem card device normally? When you choose Properties on it, does it say X MB free, the file system used, etc?

If so, try creating a test folder/file in there.

Then I'd check so the file extension used isn't interpreted as a "system file" thus hidden. In the explorer properties you can find the "show system files" checkbox and tick it.

Maybe get another USB reader or connect your camera via USB and use it as a mem card reader?
  • kentmonkey 4 Sep 2011 21:22:01 20,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tried both of the latter points already but haven't tried your original suggestion so on that now.

It worked fine up until about four days ago! :o(
  • kentmonkey 4 Sep 2011 21:24:38 20,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yup checked and works fine. No hidden files etc. I've even copied what I think is the video file on to my hard drive and it just doesn't recognise as a video file in the Panasonic software, in Media Player...in anything! :o( (file is a .mts)
  • Deleted user 4 September 2011 21:34:27
    Sounds like your comp has decided to not open those files. Were the previous files in the same .mts format, because you shouldn't be able to open those any more either.

Mediaplayer classic should be able to deal with that file btw, also it shouldn't be a problem uploading it to Youtube for instance. MPC:
    http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

Oh, MTS is H264 and you could probably try renaming it to TS, M2TS or even MPEG/MPG and try re opening it.
  • kentmonkey 4 Sep 2011 21:37:13 20,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, you're right. It's not reading any of the older videos now either. At all. No matter what software I use!! :o( So I can't even convert them to MPG.
  • Dougs 4 Sep 2011 21:44:52 67,739 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tried VLC? Assume you've gone into folder properties and made sure .mts is checked against a piece of software?
  • kentmonkey 4 Sep 2011 21:54:16 20,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep. The Photofunstudio and Media Player, doesn't like it.

I've copied all of the folders off of the memory card as well and still not liking it. Although they play on the camera.

Going to format the SD card and try recording a new one, see if the camera is doing something very screwy. I can't imagine that's the case though.
  • Dougs 4 Sep 2011 22:00:43 67,739 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not found a file VLC can't handle yet unless it's corrupt....
  • kentmonkey 4 Sep 2011 22:01:43 20,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    VLC is working actually. Well done. Nothing else does, not even the bloody software it's designed to play back with (the Panasonic software). Fuck knows why it's stopped working. You get a virtual jaffa cake for that!
  • Whatsfor 4 Sep 2011 22:05:27 2,189 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does handbrake see it?
  • kentmonkey 4 Sep 2011 22:06:02 20,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    VLC does. So I can at least play them now. Must be something squiffy going on with my PC.
  • AaronTurner 4 Sep 2011 22:21:39 7,741 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds like a codec got deleted from your computer?
  • Deleted user 4 September 2011 22:46:51
    kentmonkey wrote:Going to format the SD card and try recording a new one, see if the camera is doing something very screwy. I can't imagine that's the case though.
    No, it's definitely your comp. VLC has probably an internal codec to deal while the rest rely on MS.

Aaron is right or a software you've installed has deleted the old codec. Re-install Panasonic's software or a codec? I have only cccp codec pack installed and I can run all AVCHD/264 files I have around (Nikon D7000, Pinnacle HD capture card, iphone4, Sanyo Xacti Full HD camcorder).
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next