A Good Day To Die Hard Page 7

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Deleted user 14 February 2013 12:32:03
    Looks like the old school action films have had their day. At least with American Teens.

Schwarzenegger
    Stallone
    Statham

all their films are earning shit box office grosses.

Seems its all about "big event movies" and superhero fodder that get bums on seats these days, not old blokes firing big guns.

then again a painfully average and action light bond has earned over 1 billion worldwide despite the comedy home alone conclusion and the fact he's so shit he gets his boss killed.

Edited by espibara at 12:33:52 14-02-2013
  • Mola_Ram 14 Feb 2013 12:37:25 7,384 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    After The Expendables 2 I'd be happy if they (Stallone, Arnie) stopped. It's just embarrassing now.

Van Damme, though, has been in some genuinely great films in the last 5 years. And Willis has done alright, possibly because he's a better actor than those two. And also because he's never really been a "beefcake" hero. His status as an action star has never really relied on his physique, so he can probably age better.
  • captbirdseye 14 Feb 2013 13:24:09 4,964 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    I wonder if he came from the same class as the other hack Paul W.S. Anderson who ranks just as bad as Wiseman. How these two get jobs is beyond me considering how critically bad all their films are.....but people will pay for shite!
    A director who would happily do what the producers want is quite attractive in the days of test screenings being so important. I bet they bend to anything, they don't seem to be the protective type.
    Totally. The amount of films ruined because of the above is becoming much more common sadly.

It also reminds me about Ronald Emmerich who was totally obsessed with Superman fighting a giant spider when on board for producing the now canned film in the 90s. Every director he approached told him to "Fuck Off" and the film ended up on the scrap heap....he then went away and brought us Wild Wild West :(.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2013 13:31:04
    captbirdseye wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    I wonder if he came from the same class as the other hack Paul W.S. Anderson who ranks just as bad as Wiseman. How these two get jobs is beyond me considering how critically bad all their films are.....but people will pay for shite!
    A director who would happily do what the producers want is quite attractive in the days of test screenings being so important. I bet they bend to anything, they don't seem to be the protective type.
    Totally. The amount of films ruined because of the above is becoming much more common sadly.

It also reminds me about Ronald Emmerich who was totally obsessed with Superman fighting a giant spider when on board for producing the now canned film in the 90s. Every director he approached told him to "Fuck Off" and the film ended up on the scrap heap....he then went away and brought us Wild Wild West :(.
    What teh fuck has Roland Emmerich got to do with Wild Wild West.

Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld and Emmerich was fuck all to do with it.

maybe you shoudl get your facts right before spouting off about shit directors and stick to fish fingers or fucking chicken in breadcrumbs
  • Stranded87 14 Feb 2013 13:38:57 890 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:

maybe you shoudl get your facts right before spouting off about shit directors and stick to fish fingers or fucking chicken in breadcrumbs
    Not sure where he got Emmerich from. Just to set the record straight it was Jon Peters (one of the producers) who was apparently obsessed with giant spiders, so I guess his point kind of stands- Sonnenfeld was clearly okay to shoehorn a giant mechanical spider into the film at a producers request, which a good director likely wouldn't have been.
  • beastmaster 14 Feb 2013 13:44:16 11,411 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, Jon Peters was the spider man. Don't think there are any giant spiders in this one.

Edited by beastmaster at 13:44:38 14-02-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• captbirdseye 14 Feb 2013 14:33:07 4,964 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Opps, meant Barry Sonnenfeld.
  • captbirdseye 14 Feb 2013 14:36:10 4,964 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @espibara

Easy tiger!

I may have got the name wrong but my example still stands.

Edited by captbirdseye at 14:36:25 14-02-2013
  • Big-Swiss 14 Feb 2013 14:43:13 8,084 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed Expendables 2

I didn't expect anything else or more than it delivered and felt entertained while the movie lasted. Not a masterpiece, but I like the idea of all our child Stars on one screen.

I mean lets be honest, 15 years ago, there was no way a movie could have afforded all those actors together on one set.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2013 14:47:54
    @captbirdseye

Sorry capn I'ma keybaord warrior today
  • Deleted user 14 February 2013 14:53:18
    captbirdseye wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:

That isn't becoming more common at all. Producers and studios have always made the decisions, the directors that don't have to listen to them have been rare.
  • captbirdseye 14 Feb 2013 14:54:31 4,964 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha, no worries buddy. I wouldn't try fucking Chicken in breadcrumbs though...very messy.
  • beastmaster 14 Feb 2013 20:00:15 11,411 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On my way to see it now. Shit will go kaboom in IMAX.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Feb 2013 20:12:01 38,132 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I keet forgetting to change the name of this thread...

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• the_dudefather 14 Feb 2013 21:07:43 9,288 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    12% on RT, 'worse than Kingdom of the crystal skull' being one opinions I've seen. Think I dodged a bullet by deciding to not see it opening night

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• nickthegun 14 Feb 2013 21:20:58 59,875 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its one of those movies where you dont want to be the first person on RT to give it even a remotely positive review.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• beastmaster 14 Feb 2013 23:54:58 11,411 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Posted this is rate the last film...

A Good Day to Fuck Off and Die - 3/10

I think the Odeon made a mistake at the IMAX screening. The picture was immense in size and the sound booming as you'd expect. However, I think they accidently showed the TV version. That can be the only explination for what I've just seen. It's kind of fitting that this Die Hard film is rated 12A. John Mcclane now joins the ranks of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and other superheroes, as in this film he has no fear and is utterly indescriutable. Hell, he could do mano e mano with The Hulk and give him a run for his money.

The worst thing about this film though is not the lack of swearing, the lack of violence or the fact that John Mcclane is now one of The Avengers. They have done something worse. Die Hard 4.0 for all it's flaws (and there are many) still had the John Mcclane from the first three Die hard films. Willis still managed to retain the character traits of John Mcclane despite the ludicrous situations that were going on around him.

This film is different. It sucessfully manages to turn the character of Mcclane into a bit of a moron. Gone is any kind of wit, charm, intelligence and subtlety of previous performances. Instead he's mostly a loud, ignorant buffoon who has taken total leave of his senses when faced with something he doesn't know or understand. They've even tried to give him another catchphrase. Oh dear.

Another weakness of the film is the father-son relationship. Having Mcclane as the loose cannon to his sons straight-and-narrow should work. Yet the total lack on chemistry between them doesn't make any of it believable at any point. You'd think that if they were playing for this friction between them, the lack of chemistry may possiblly help. It doesn't. It gets worse when they inevitably settle their differences and kick ass together as father and son. It's this central relationship which is also brings the film down as I found it totally unconvincing and annoying at best. it's also the focal point of the film between the action sequences. Or rather the son-father relationship and poor ol' Brucie seems to be in a cameo for the first quarter of the film. All the focus is on his son and he calls all the shots. He's also an intensely unlikeable dick.

What the original three Die Hard films did so well is have a great supporting cast and a decent villian (well, maybe not Die Hard 2 but decent enough). Honestly, the guy who plays the villian in this makes Thomas Gabriel from 4.0 look like Hans Gruber. An uncharamatic characture of a Russian baddy who poses as much of a threat to Mcclane as a toilet bug. He's a carrot chomping, tap dancing bad guy! What the utter FUCK? Was I supposed to laugh instead of wanting to cry out in utter despair? There's a female baddie who is quite sexy. I'd really, really like to knob her. I'm sorry but I'm looking for some positives here.

The setting in Russia is a bit of an odd choice. It's like they though of the setting first, the poster tagline and then reversed engineered a Die Hard film from it. It's not just something a bit more pretty to blow up and it kind of serves a plot purpose but it's nothing they couldn't have done in LA.

But hey, it's fucking Die Hard, so lots of shit will blow up and the action will be awesome, right? Well no, not really. The opening action sequence would have been gobsmacking and amazing if I could actually see what was going on. Really rapid cuts and fast zooms abound! Worse than the opening car chase in Quantum Of Solace but it lasts about five times longer. The other action sequences get more and more GCI based and the final one is utterly preposterous.

Let's get some positives.n There are times when the old Mcclane comes shining through as it's a stark contrast to what the character is doing in this film. Russia looks lovely when it's being blown to pieces.

The sad thing is that this film is at it's best when it deliberately (and very briefly) harks back to the original film. You know the scenes when you see them. It also uses the score from the original film for the most part. It also holds your attention (for the wrong reasons) so I never fell asleep or went into a coma.

A tepid action film and an utter disgrace of a Die Hard film. A Bad Day To Die Hard.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Feb 2013 06:56:24 38,132 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Your film of the year then Beastmaster? ;)

• nickthegun 15 Feb 2013 07:32:09 59,875 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You saw it on imax? Why didnt you mention this before?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• elstoof 15 Feb 2013 12:33:52 7,294 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's always had a buddy, even in the first two, or have you forgotten about Reginald VelJohnson?

Why don't you wake up and smell what you shovelin'?!
  • President_Weasel 15 Feb 2013 16:19:13 9,295 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indescriutable is definitely not a word.
  • Fixxxer 15 Feb 2013 18:05:44 1,304 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You're not a word.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Feb 2013 18:20:43 38,132 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Your face is not a word.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Feb 2013 18:20:43 38,132 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Double-posting is not a word!

Edited by MrTomFTW at 18:21:02 15-02-2013

• neilka 15 Feb 2013 19:12:35 15,913 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grease is the word

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Deleted user 15 February 2013 19:38:53
    The bird is the word.
  • riceNpea 15 Feb 2013 20:03:26 592 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mum's the word
  • castertroy 17 Feb 2013 06:05:52 19 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:

It wasn't emmerich who wanted superman to fight a giant spider but John Peters one of the producers of the Tim Burton batman film. Kevin Smith in one of his q and a dvds did almost an hour on the subject. He was writing his draft of superman and Peters asked for said spider fight. Smith declined and said a couple of years later he was watching wild wild west (produced by peters) and what turns up at the end!
  • castertroy 17 Feb 2013 06:08:40 19 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Here's the link to imdb

Jon Peters wild wild west
  • Page

of 10 First / Last