Persona 4 Golden Page 13

• Page

of 36 First / Last

• santashi 6 Feb 2013 10:53:59 5,044 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm not entirely sure what you thought it was going to be either. ;) When you say a 'strategy game like this' do you mean the strategy of the social link aspect, or the turn-based/weakness-based combat?

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Ghibli 20 Feb 2013 09:31:23 63 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This is out on the store today right? I have credit in my wallet ready for the second it becomes available.

/unreasonably excited.
  • Kosmoz 20 Feb 2013 10:29:46 7,588 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Think its out on Friday.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• HiddenAway 20 Feb 2013 11:13:13 14,856 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's on the store right now if you want to risk the purchase (you know SCEE and all that) :)

NOTE: It's 3.4GB :p

Edited by HiddenAway at 11:14:35 20-02-2013

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Ghibli 20 Feb 2013 13:53:10 63 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ooooh. I'll take the risk. =)
  • steveb07 20 Feb 2013 14:40:02 848 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really?!

/runs off to get Vita

Can't find it :-(

Edited by steveb07 at 14:49:42 20-02-2013

PSN: IIIQuid

• HiddenAway 20 Feb 2013 15:13:58 14,856 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @steveb07 The Vita store always updates later than the web store.

You can buy it from here

• steveb07 20 Feb 2013 15:26:34 848 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll wait then, impatiently....

• Ghibli 20 Feb 2013 17:22:26 63 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It was there in the latest games bit straight away for me... =/
  • steveb07 20 Feb 2013 18:00:37 848 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll have another look now !

• steveb07 20 Feb 2013 18:18:08 848 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes!
    It's on the Vita PS Store and downloading now. ETA 107 Sony minutes....

• mumtoucher 20 Feb 2013 18:34:46 263 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got this from shopto today, my first proper jrpg since ff8, so far i'm intrigued by the whole thing - if this grabs me, which I hope it does, I can see myself ploughing hours into it......... Might finally be the game to tear me away from my unhealthy Dark Souls addiction.
  • Gregolution 20 Feb 2013 18:47:45 3,164 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    First persona game, and not a jrpg veteran but hate easy games. Is normal difficulty a good bet for me?
  • HiddenAway 20 Feb 2013 18:52:20 14,856 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Gregolution I would play on Normal in case the trophies specify it. Good games incorporate Easy mode in the normal trophy :p

• Gregolution 20 Feb 2013 19:09:35 3,164 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @HiddenAway

Good games have a gold trophy for completing on hardest;)
  • HiddenAway 20 Feb 2013 19:19:45 14,856 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Gregolution Either way, having looked at the comparison of the difficulty levels, Normal will be the best for you.

• jonsaan 20 Feb 2013 19:21:49 25,326 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    2 copies of this in CEX today.

FCUTA!

• jonsaan 20 Feb 2013 19:23:04 25,326 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really good games have no need of a difficulty toggle. They ramp with player skill and are easy to play yet hard to master.

FCUTA!

• Feanor 20 Feb 2013 19:28:55 14,054 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    First persona game, and not a jrpg veteran but hate easy games. Is normal difficulty a good bet for me?
    Normal should be fine.
  • Gregolution 20 Feb 2013 19:39:06 3,164 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cool, cheers for the feedback. Normal it is
  • santashi 20 Feb 2013 20:43:19 5,044 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Seriously, don't pick the Very Hard option on a whim or you'll scare your housemates with your occasional howls of rage. ;)

I'd agree with normal being best for you. It really is Normal, not some polite way of saying 'also easy'.

• Gregolution 20 Feb 2013 21:14:57 3,164 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So far I have no idea what the game is about or what's going on but bloody he'll is it a good demonstration of the vita screen or what? The colours are eye popping

Production value seems very high
  • Darren 21 Feb 2013 09:49:15 8,698 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got this game yesterday because I wanted a proper RPG (sorry, Dungeon Hunter Alliance, you don't count!) for my PS Vita. I wasn't sure what to expect; after all, I hadn't played any of the previous games in the series and the game certainly doesn't look amazing from the screenshots. Furthermore, after playing the sublime Ni no Kuni on my PS3, I wasn't sure that another JRPG could measure up to Level 5/Studio Ghibli's magnificent effort either.

How wrong was I?

This is game is just sensational so far, which is about five hours in after freeing the first victim, a girl from the school you go to. At first, I was thinking "oh-oh" when it was clear that there was a lot of dialogue to wade though. In fact, it takes around TWO HOURS before you're given full control of your character and can play the game properly, which may put some people off it. But, and this is a big BUT, the dialogue and characters are engaging and I found that I wasn't bored or wanting to skip through stuff just to get the game started. I never felt like I was having to listen to reams of filler or small talk. Also the story is very interesting, a bit different from your normal fantasy-inspired JRPG, and revolves around a series of murders in a small Japanese town but it does share some similarities with Ni no Kuni in that you are a boy separated from his family (this time because they're working not dead) who meets a strange creature (called Teddie) in an alternate dimension (here the inside of a TV rather than another world!) where Familiar type Personas fight for you and your party. What separates it from Ni no Kuni though is that you have a school and social life that, if I understand this correctly, improves the fighting skills of your Personas. There's also cards that appear at the end of some fights which give you bonuses and additional Personas.

If I have one complaint about the game at the moment it's that having you as the lead character (you're asked to enter your name at the start) means that you can feel slightly disconnected from the world since you never actually speak. The intention is presumably to make YOU part of the game but I personally do not think it works quite as well as having a voiced character who you play from a third-person perspective. Or maybe it's because I've come from Ni no Kuni? Whatever, it isn't a major issue and the other characters make up for it with their quirky and distinct personalities. The English voice acting is also pretty good, I did not find it annoying in the slightest, although as per usual with these games one of your party is a slightly dim, hyperactive, high-pitched speaking girl. What surprised me too was how much voice-acting there actually is, seems like 80% so far, but given that the first two hours of the five I've played where essentially cutscenes I guess I shouldn't be. The switch between voiced and non-voiced dialogue is far less jarring here than in Ni no Kuni though which often switched between the two during the same cutscene!

Combat has been fun so far, again similar to Ni no Kuni with the ability to switch between Personas and the boss fights have been enjoyable too. The "dungeons", the first proper one of which is a castle conjured up by the girl you have to rescue, is a bit bland and apparently randomly generated each time you enter it. You have to find the stairs on each floor then work your way up through progressively harder enemies until you reach the top where there is the obligatory boss fight. This dungeon is not particularly interesting visually, consisting of blocky corridors and rooms as well as being rather empty expect for the odd enemy, door and treasure chest, and a short draw distance masked by blackness. The in-game graphics on the whole are not amazing, they're very PS2 like, but the anime FMV and slick presentation complete with lovely 2D art work helps distract from the rough jagged edges of the game visuals. The music is also worthy of mention as it is superb, some of it even has vocals!

Unless you loathe games of this type then I can easily recommend Persona 4 Golden. It looks like being another PS Vita stunner and I can easily see why EG gave this 9 out of 10. It takes a bit of time to get going but once it does it becomes griping and the depth to the combat and Persona system means that there is plenty to get your teeth into. I still find it amazing that I can play games as deep as this on a mere handheld but admit that the PS Vita is the first one I've owned since the GameBoy Color so I might be just a bit out of touch. Compared with shallow smartphone and iPad games though, PS Vita games are certainly a revelation as far as I'm concerned.

Oops, yet another overlong and perhaps over-enthusiastic post. Sorry about that! :)

Edited by Darren at 09:56:31 21-02-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Gregolution 21 Feb 2013 17:25:39 3,164 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm enthralled by this. Still confused, but can't stay away from it.
  • Feanor 21 Feb 2013 17:49:31 14,054 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Darren Nice write up. Please do a follow up post a few months and 80 hours of gameplay later when you finish it.
  • Zackv4861 21 Feb 2013 19:25:50 1,082 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    @Darren Nice write up. Please do a follow up post a few months and 80 hours of gameplay later when you finish it.
    80 hours. My colleague is 120 in and still has plenty to go. lol
  • Gregolution 21 Feb 2013 20:10:56 3,164 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

head popping!

All in a good way. Why the hell have I never discovered Persona before? This is mind blowing.

1 question about Personas and the Compendium. What happens when I register a Persona? I understand all the other tutorials, but this one is confusing. There's a persona in there already at level 1 which is the same as the first Persona I had. My persona is level 4 though. What happens if I register my level 4 Persona and why would I want to do that? What do I lose and what do I gain?

I literally haven't been able to take my eyes off the Vita since 'giving this a quick 5 minute go'.... 6 hours ago.
  • Singularity 21 Feb 2013 20:12:30 2,434 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You register your personas so that you can fuse them into something else, and then repurchase your original one.
  • santashi 21 Feb 2013 20:18:32 5,044 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Register the best version of the Persona that you have. If you happen to get a lower level version of a Persona you've already registered then don't overwrite the other one by accident (unless you want to start over and pick different skills, etc). :)

• Feanor 21 Feb 2013 20:23:58 14,054 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Create as many new Personas as you can. Filling out the Compendium comes in handy down the road.
  • Page

of 36 First / Last