Persona 4 Golden Page 36

• Page

of 37 First / Last

• TenderChicken 28 Apr 2014 10:14:05 1,184 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    12 hours in and I'm loving it. I agree with the dungeon crawling being a bit tedious though - some enemies seem to be frustratingly tough too, my entire party got one-hitted by one of those dice looking enemies that used the move like Explosion from Pokemon. Enraging!

I'm just on the second main boss but going to level up a bit before hand, tried him once but ran out of revival beads. I think I'm going to read up on how to fuse personas properly too, my current tactic is just banging three together and choosing the outcome that has the highest level I can use... that can't be right!

PSN: TenderChicken
    Xbox Live: TenderChicken1

• Vortex808 28 Apr 2014 10:19:31 7,318 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Are you going back to get the shadow bosses in the dungeon you've cleared too? That helps a lot IMO and should make life a bit easier.
  • TenderChicken 28 Apr 2014 11:22:32 1,184 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Vortex808 I went back and got utterly destroyed by the first optional boss!

• Vortex808 28 Apr 2014 11:33:38 7,318 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It does get easier as you level up. One or two bosses do have fairly cheap attacks, but may not use them every time.
  • Ror1984 28 Apr 2014 23:10:18 3,657 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• TenderChicken 29 Apr 2014 10:24:32 1,184 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    After a few attempts I took down the second boss last night. A few near chucking the Vita at the wall moments in the process, including the almost constant poisoning and the multi-target electricity move that took large chunks of health off of my team.

• Wavey 30 Apr 2014 19:37:10 410 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    13.49 currently for plus members on the vita. Finally decided to play it having completed the ps2 version many moons ago.

The only thing I would want to know is, what specific vita additions can be missed and how do I go about not doing. For example, I know there are new social links, do I need to do any for the extra Marie dungeon at all?
  • Ror1984 30 Apr 2014 20:15:14 3,657 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Wavey AFAIK you just need to max Marie's SL for that. Although I haven't finished the game (though I have maxed that SL), so can't say for sure.

• Ror1984 2 May 2014 18:20:21 3,657 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Speaking of Marie...

• TenderChicken 22 May 2014 09:40:51 1,184 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Argh, I just find the combat in this so frustrating at times. The dungeon crawling is pretty tedious, and coming up against some very powerful enemies and being killed in a few hits is really grinding. I'm at Rise's dungeon, but the grinding to make sure I'm leveled enough to take on the boss is really making it a chore.

Such a good game minus that!

• TenderChicken 25 Jun 2014 10:54:23 1,184 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I went back to this for the first time in a few weeks. Argghhh the dungeons are frustrating! I still don't quite get the combat system to be honest. Most battles end up with me prevailing with no actual strategy. Also when the main character dies in battle and it counts as game over, fuck me, that's frustrating.

• Gunzberg 25 Jun 2014 11:00:24 1,741 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got about 4-5 hours left to complete this but I can't be bothered.

Been parked for 2 months now whilst playing other stuff.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Zomoniac 25 Jun 2014 11:12:11 7,858 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've played a bit over the last few days, now got 12 hours on the stage and expecting Rise's dungeon to appear soon. I'm really enjoying the main game, but the dungeon stuff is a bit bollocks. I've never really played a JRPG before because the whole combat mechanic is bollocks, and this is really no different, but the setting intrigued me enough to give it a whirl. I intend to stick with it, but the bits outside the TV are much more enjoyable than the bits in it.
  • lucky_jim 25 Jun 2014 11:39:58 5,326 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Zomoniac

You not a fan of Japanese dungeon-crawling games generally, or just this one? It's a damn good example of the genre (imo).
  • Zomoniac 25 Jun 2014 11:52:44 7,858 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @lucky_jim

I've never really played one before. My experience of JRPGs is FF7 and Panzer Dragoon Saga, both of which I abandoned due to hating random battles and turn based combat, and a bit of Eternal Sonata and Tales Of Vesperia which both had characters and voices so painfully annoying that I couldn't tolerate them.

I still don't like the battles, the selecting attacks from menus and the absurd amount of numbers everywhere (and tbh I have no idea what half the stuff I'm looking at even means, when it says my persona has increased in St or Ae or Lu I haven't got a clue what it's on about), but the setting and story is keeping me enjoying it for now. The Shenmue-style sleepy Japanese town setting is a lot more enjoyable for me than the usual whiny kids in sci-fi setting saving the universe from oblivion.
  • lucky_jim 25 Jun 2014 12:12:14 5,326 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Zomoniac

Yep, sounds like you're not really a JRPG person, in much the same way that I'm not an FPS person (occasionally, one manages to hold my attention for a while, but they generally leave me cold). The dungeon-crawler types are specific subgenre of JRPG that's arguably even more Marmite-y.

You're usually ok not to worry about the details of the stats though. Don't feel bad about using a FAQ/guide either, sure some might sneer but if it's not really your genre, there's no shame in getting some pointers.
  • Zomoniac 25 Jun 2014 12:22:02 7,858 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @lucky_jim

I had a gander at a guide, not for a walkthrough, just to try work out what everything meant, and the list of personas and stuff was so long that I just couldn't keep up. I'm playing on easy and have died in battle a couple of times but I'm slowly picking up the different kind of skills as I go along and whilst I don't understand everything it's slowly starting to click. It's just the sheer volume of it, going to fuse a persona and being told it will be shit because I'm not part of whatever arcana. Are you really supposed to remember exactly which ones you've already unlocked?

I'm glad I played through Catherine last year as that served as a nice introduction to trippy anime psychedelia but without the confusing game mechanics. I suspect had I jumped into P4G unfamiliar with both the game genre and the style genre I'd have given up very early.
  • lucky_jim 25 Jun 2014 12:49:29 5,326 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Zomoniac

To be honest with you -- and I'm sure the "hardcore" would rip me to shreds for this -- I just view that side of things as optional, and let it sink in as I'm playing the game. So pretty much what you're doing. Yeah, you'll get more depth from the game if you get to grips with each stat and how they interact, but I just go with what feels cool to me, at least to start with, and wait for my favourite traits/skills to emerge. As long as you make sure you've got a pretty broad range of options when it comes to your personas' skills, you should be ok.

I'm not the most experienced SMT/Persona player either: in fact, this is my first Persona game, but I played SMT Nocturne on the PS2 as well as a few of the DS games (the latter of which are a different genre but have a similar creature-merging thing happening). I've never found that I *had* to get OCD about it, just that it gives the game a bit more meat if I do.
  • Dave_McCoy 26 Jun 2014 16:36:17 2,789 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished this a little while back. Can I go through again on easy and still earn trophies? I kind of just want to enjoy the story and earn the social links I didn't get last time.
  • Paulie_P 3 Jul 2014 12:50:15 416 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dave_McCoy yeah, trophies are achievable on easy.
  • Kujata 31 Jul 2014 21:37:15 2,279 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apologies if everyone asks this, but... are any of the social links particularly important?

I seem to be getting a lot of them, and am wondering if I'll have time to finish them all, I don't want to miss anything interesting/important.

Edited by Kujata at 21:37:45 31-07-2014
  • TheMayorOfJugs 31 Jul 2014 21:41:01 4,035 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    They allow you to fuse better personas, and the ones with your party members give them better abilities, and a higher chance of coming to your aid in battle. Maxed out social links with your party members also has an extra bonus reward late on in this version of the game, but its spoilery, so I can't tell you.
  • Kujata 31 Jul 2014 22:14:18 2,279 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs - Thanks. So I should focus on making sure I max all the links for my party members? I'm mostly bothered about missing out on interesting story/parts of the game, rather than worrying about getting high level personas or abilities.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 31 Jul 2014 22:27:00 4,035 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Kujata You really shouldn't worry about maxing all of them in one play through, because that's difficult. Spend your time with your favourite characters, and if you really like the game, do a second quick run through for whoever you missed. There are different links depending on the clubs you choose anyway. So don't worry about missing things. The links are more for upgrades and fleshing out the characters, you won't miss important story bits.
  • TenderChicken 1 Aug 2014 07:03:43 1,184 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I actually stopped playing this because I found Rise's dungeon so frustrating. The amount of one-hit kill enemies is just stupid.

• Nazo 1 Aug 2014 07:56:05 372 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Kujata
    Make sure you do max out Mari before December or you'll miss part of the game, as I found to my cost :(
  • Kujata 1 Aug 2014 08:19:03 2,279 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for tips. I will make sure to max out Marie (I probably would have done anyway, her backstory seems like it'll be interesting) and will just follow what ever stories interest me outside of that.

The dungeons are definetly my least favorite part. I like the stories and set up for them, but the scenery is just a bit to repetitive. I think my fave part is trying chaining Shuffle Times for as long as possible.

I ended up starting on Very Easy as I heard the difficulty can spike. I really didn't want to have to grind just to carry on with social stuff.
  • elstoof 1 Aug 2014 09:13:12 7,763 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You'll blast through on very easy, you won't even have to worry about battles just smash your way through the dungeons.
  • Kujata 1 Aug 2014 12:13:05 2,279 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @elstoof - Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing. I'm still fighting and opening chests as I generally enjoy the dungeon gameplay, I just think they go on a bit, so tend to take the stairs as soon as I find them, rather than clearing.
  • elstoof 1 Aug 2014 12:19:17 7,763 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You won't miss too much much doing that, but it's worth have another run through the previous dungeon to the one you're on just to kill the shadow boss and pick up some quest items.
  • Page

of 37 First / Last