Legend of Grimrock - awesome new Dungeon Master homage/clone Page 10

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• neems 19 Apr 2012 18:48:37 1,081 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Woohoo, got me The Dismantler.

Sadly, I have also now encountered the Ice Lizards. Fuckers.
  • quadfather 19 Apr 2012 19:54:53 10,547 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @YenRug - its only 2 key presses. Imagine there's 4 undead knights. They're diagonally adjacent to you, facing you. Now, turn around 180. So they're now behind you, but you and they are facing the same direction. When they move forward you'll be side by side both facing the right way. At this point go back and left (or right depending on which side you were adjacent to) and you'll be right behind them. Now attack.

This takes timing though as if you do the 180 too early they'll go behind you instead. Works though

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• YenRug 19 Apr 2012 20:16:12 1,752 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @YenRug - its only 2 key presses. Imagine there's 4 undead knights. They're diagonally adjacent to you, facing you. Now, turn around 180. So they're now behind you, but you and they are facing the same direction. When they move forward you'll be side by side both facing the right way. At this point go back and left (or right depending on which side you were adjacent to) and you'll be right behind them. Now attack.

This takes timing though as if you do the 180 too early they'll go behind you instead. Works though
    So, it's still 4 key presses then, including the 2 you need to turn 180 degrees, and then a great deal of luck that they go the right direction.
  • quadfather 20 Apr 2012 08:34:11 10,547 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well yeah I suppose its 4. But you can take your time with the 180. It's only the back/left or back/right you need to be quick at. I'm sure you can get them to go the way you want too-if you experiment dodging left and right with an enemy and then turn 90 degrees, it'll change its mind which way its going to go so you can kinda lure them in

• monkehhh 20 Apr 2012 12:15:38 3,124 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PC sounded like it was going to take off after a minute, not sure how long it would've lasted without turning vsync on.
  • Salaman 20 Apr 2012 12:17:33 18,237 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still enjoying this. :-) I'm just really happy I have no plans for Saturday and can sleep in. I've been playing it in short 1 hour session from midnight or 1am onwards most evenings this week.

/tired
  • munki83 20 Apr 2012 12:34:02 1,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmm off to the cinema tonight but no big plans for the weekend so mite plunge into the depths of Grimrock.
  • quadfather 20 Apr 2012 13:02:05 10,547 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gah, got mate coming around for most of weekend, so won't have a chance. Sunday though, going to batter it.

Can't decide whether to go back from level 8 to find things I've missed, or just carry on

• munki83 21 Apr 2012 21:45:00 1,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got to level 7 today :D Level 6 was awesome but its so annoying as I must be missing out on some of the secrets as my spell list is fairly limited :(. Still an awesome game :D
  • quadfather 22 Apr 2012 14:43:34 10,547 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How many spells have you all got by level 8? I think I've got about 5 I can use and scrolls to take me up to about 10-12, but without the skill levels to use them. I'm mainly fire and ice with some spellcraft

• Blerk Moderator 23 Apr 2012 10:51:51 48,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got a little time to polish off level 5 over the weekend, then got royally boned by the evil trap right at the start of level 6! Gaah!

Did you all see that the new update adds quicksave/quickload, btw? :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Apr 2012 10:53:24 35,171 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ooooh, quicksave, really? Nice! Haven't had time all weekend, damn!
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Apr 2012 10:57:40 48,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yup, a bunch of bugfixes mostly but they added hotkeys and a special slot for quick saving and loading, bless their souls.
  • Salaman 23 Apr 2012 11:02:42 18,237 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Yup, a bunch of bugfixes mostly but they added hotkeys and a special slot for quick saving and loading, bless their souls.
    Lovely! :-)
  • quadfather 23 Apr 2012 12:21:57 10,547 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    it gets better :)

• munki83 24 Apr 2012 20:46:33 1,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just finished level 7 tonight and must say I really enjoyed this level even got past the iron door at the end, pretty easy puzzle but fun. I currently have an over abundance of food at the moment but hearing horror story of food becoming scarce I'm going to horde it all.
  • samk 24 Apr 2012 21:45:22 703 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just reached a puzzle on level 9 which had made me have a little cry.

I have to place 4 items into alcoves. One of them is a skull. I don't have any skulls. I've been using skulls as makeweights on various pressure pad puzzles. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. I've gotta go back through half the game searching for a fecking skull now. :(
  • UncleLou Moderator 24 Apr 2012 22:43:23 35,171 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Level 8/9 - is there a trick I am missing with the ice lizards? Killed at a whole bunch, but there doesn't seem to be an end to them. Do they respawn? Every time I think the coast is clear, there's another pair of them.
  • samk 24 Apr 2012 22:53:47 703 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @UncleLou

I think they spawn endlessly. There are doors at the end of that section that you can close behind you.

Basically I think it's just a section for you to farm food if your troops are hungry. The ice lizards pretty much always drop meat when they die.
  • UncleLou Moderator 24 Apr 2012 22:55:39 35,171 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers! :)
  • quadfather 25 Apr 2012 08:25:02 10,547 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I still can't get past those damned ice lizards!

Edited by quadfather at 08:25:45 25-04-2012

• samk 25 Apr 2012 08:53:52 703 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When you encounter the ice lizards the first bit should be straightforward; you can just keep closing the door until your attacks have recharged.

When you start to get further into the area, the trick is to get one to follow you then retreat either to the door or to a 2x2 tile area to keep sidestepping around it, so another ice lizard doesn't get alerted to your presence. They don't repopulate behind you so you can take your time and inch forward, picking them off one at a time.

Remember to quick save after you've killed each one too.
  • neilka 25 Apr 2012 09:12:04 14,940 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    munki83 wrote:
    Just finished level 7 tonight and must say I really enjoyed this level even got past the iron door at the end, pretty easy puzzle but fun.
    That bit was great, the moment I saw the first ball of light coming towards me I realised what I had to do, my gaming reflexes kicked in and I did it first time!
  • quadfather 25 Apr 2012 09:47:52 10,547 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    samk wrote:
    When you encounter the ice lizards the first bit should be straightforward; you can just keep closing the door until your attacks have recharged.

When you start to get further into the area, the trick is to get one to follow you then retreat either to the door or to a 2x2 tile area to keep sidestepping around it, so another ice lizard doesn't get alerted to your presence. They don't repopulate behind you so you can take your time and inch forward, picking them off one at a time.

Remember to quick save after you've killed each one too.
    Cheers

Do you mean the first door, near the "We warned you" sign?

And don't they spawn forever, or do they eventually run out?

If I do a suicide run as fast as I can, I get to where it branches out into two paths, but each one I take, I end up being cornered. Should I just keep running, or take it slow and clear them out (if they don't respawn)

• samk 25 Apr 2012 10:22:18 703 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the door at the "we warned you" sign. Initially just keep retreating to that door. Then when you start clearing out the open areas, like I say pick them off one at a time by getting one to follow you to an open area then do the 2x2 tile side strafing tactic.

They do keep respawning, but quite slowly so you can whittle the numbers down eventually. Just take it slow and clear them out. The area is quite large in size with a few branching paths, so imo there's no chance of doing a suicide run.

At the end of the area are some open doors that you can close behind you, so when more spawn they won't be able to follow you.
  • Salaman 25 Apr 2012 10:53:29 18,237 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pffff ... managed to go from level 4 to 5 yesterday late. I really, really wasn't getting the puzzles. Got so fed up I went and looked up for a subtle hint here and there and then each time it seemed so logical when I read it. yet I totally did't cotton on whilst trying to figure it out.
    Just looking at it from the complete wrong angle and not getting what they were trying to get me to do.

Better luck on l5 I hope. :-/
  • quadfather 25 Apr 2012 10:59:13 10,547 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    samk wrote:
    Yeah, the door at the "we warned you" sign. Initially just keep retreating to that door. Then when you start clearing out the open areas, like I say pick them off one at a time by getting one to follow you to an open area then do the 2x2 tile side strafing tactic.

They do keep respawning, but quite slowly so you can whittle the numbers down eventually. Just take it slow and clear them out. The area is quite large in size with a few branching paths, so imo there's no chance of doing a suicide run.

At the end of the area are some open doors that you can close behind you, so when more spawn they won't be able to follow you.
    Nice one - makes sense - I'll do that - cheers :)

• YenRug 25 Apr 2012 14:10:50 1,752 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm now down on to level 10. Whereupon I discovered that there are enemies who can open pull-chain gates... a discovery that was made whilst in a single-entry room, with a pull-chain gate at the entrance, thinking myself safe and able to rest safely I quickly found myself cornered and splatted, instead.
  • munki83 25 Apr 2012 21:53:37 1,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wooo did levels 8 and 9 today. Both very awesome and fun levels. Had to cheat a little in level 8. Glad I'm playing on easy think I'd of given up by now if I wasn't
  • samk 27 Apr 2012 12:57:15 703 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Completed level 9 last night. The end of the level with the spiral corridor layout was a proper 'rabbit in the headlights' moment. Turned the corner and there's a troll prepping to charge at me. SHIT! Then legging it back through the spiral corridors, hearing the troll stampeding behind me was easily the most terrifying moment in the game.

The second troll is especially nasty, due to part of the spiral corridor route being blocked and requiring a button to be pressed.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last