Midwife Issue

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Scurrminator 23 Aug 2011 10:07:28 8,718 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So my wife is currently 11 weeks pregnant and is classed as a high risk pregnancy as we've had a MC and Ectopic in the past ten months.
    To begin with we were monitored on the early pregnancy unit at our local hospital and then discharged at week 8 with a clean bill of health; well looked after.
    When we first had our midwife call she did not seem to know this and hasn't really paid any special attention to my wife which she has found quite worrying.
    We've had our booking appointment and that went ok I guess; my wife did not really get good vibes from the midwife.
    Anyway my wife called up the hospital today to check when we were due our dating scan as we'd not yet received a letter and she was told the 14th September. This puts her at 13.5 weeks. Now I know that 1.5 weeks doesn't seem like a lot but due to all the worries and so on that my wife has she kind of wants to be seen as close to 12 weeks as possible. The ward at the hospital said that the midwife had not put on her notes that my wife was high risk.
    We're calling up the head midwife office at the hospital today to get advice and hopefully arrange a closer date.
    So ANYWAY! I was wondering what other people's experiences of widwives was?
    Obviously for me it's easy as I don't have all the stress and anxiety and can sort of see that this one midwife cares for the whole town; but that also she should be a bit more careful and double check details at the same time (and be a bit more compassionate - quite a cold woman).
  • Dougs 23 Aug 2011 10:23:30 77,726 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bit hit and miss really. Think my wife only saw her community midwife three times, inc the first time. And the last time (3 days before he was born 7 weeks early), she failed to notice that he'd engaged already. The hospital ones were fantastic though, from start to finish. I wouldn't worry though, chances are you'll get someone entirely different for the delivery, and it's good that you've flagged it with Maternity early on, so hopefully they'll be on the ball...
  • mrpon 23 Aug 2011 10:30:07 32,000 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was your wife given a big green file with all her notes in? Maybe different between hospitals. But that file was considered the bible and had everything in it, all the scans, appointment notes etc.. I'm surprised the midwife hasn't read it to be honest.

Nothing but praise for all the staff we came into contact with doctors, nurses, sonographers etc. Are you having a home birth?
  • Scurrminator 23 Aug 2011 10:53:03 8,718 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    we were given the green file at the booking appointment where we filled it out.
    this is the community midwife mind and not the hospital ones who i expect will be a lot better; they were fantastic on the EPU (early preg unit).
  • DaM 23 Aug 2011 11:02:02 15,610 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ours were always excellent until the very final one. My wife was approaching the end, and I said to her that I would check the dilation if I were her (going on past experience!). She refused, and said that she would check in an hour, and not 2 hours as she wanted to keep us happy. 10 minutes later, she was doing paperwork, and I said, "I think you should get over here", which she ignored, as I saw the head come out, I had to shout, "Over here NOW!", at which point she had a fit and hammered the emergency button, as she practically had to catch Ewan before he hit the floor!
  • Goban 23 Aug 2011 11:17:07 9,603 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty hit and miss, the community ones were mostly poor, bar a couple o exceptions, they didn't forward information to the hospital and gave us really daft advice. The hospital ones were all great though.
  • Lotos8ter 23 Aug 2011 12:12:58 2,455 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought our Community midwife was useless and didn't seem to do much but she came into her own towards the end. My wife had had a fairly routine pregnancy until towards the end when the CW turned up for a routine check and took blood pressure on a Friday, didn't say much and then came back on the Monday (unannounced) to check it again as she said it had been high on Friday and she was a wee bit concerned. (My wife has always had legendary low BP) It was still high so we basically got the "Doing much tomorrow? Fancy going to hospital to be induced? Yes, thought so"
    So, she obviously knew her stuff and only really sprung into action when she needed to.

I thought the midwives and doctors in the hospital were fantastic and we saw every shift of them as the inducement took about 4 days (I thought I'd barely have time to nip for a burger)

I don't know where I'm going with this but all the best to you anyways.
  • repairmanjack 23 Aug 2011 12:14:40 6,132 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good luck with everything, Scurmm.

(Thread should be called "Midwife Crisis" though.)
  • DaM 23 Aug 2011 12:18:28 15,610 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just threaten her with a GI Scurrm!
  • mrpon 23 Aug 2011 12:18:47 32,000 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Holding blunt instrument? ;)
  • Vortex808 23 Aug 2011 12:27:33 10,484 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    I thought the midwives and doctors in the hospital were fantastic and we saw every shift of them as the inducement took about 4 days (I thought I'd barely have time to nip for a burger)

Really? when my missus as induced it took no time at all, she didn't even get a chance to decide to opt for drugs, it was just gas & air. The midwife almost needed a baseball glove to catch him he came out so fast.

Admittedly, she was ten days, or possibly two weeks overdue by then. I was beginning to think we'd need to use dynamite to get him to come out!

On topic, I though our midwives were fine, they all knew their stuff and were all very helpful in calm manner. Our health visitor after the birth was also great and really helped the missus deal with not being able to produce enough milk in a great manner condsidering all the shock of a new born was impacting at the time too.
  • Scurrminator 24 Aug 2011 10:42:39 8,718 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We phoned up the midwife supervisor part of the hospital and they listened to my wife's concerns and moved our scan forward. All sorted.
    Hospital midwives seem to be awesome; going to continue with current community one and see how it goes next time we see her :-)
  • Whatsfor 24 Aug 2011 16:24:16 2,187 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem with some (especially older) midwives is that they think they have seen it all and know every scenario.

Pretty much what DaM said, they don't want to lsiten because they assume they know best!
  • mothercruncher 24 Aug 2011 17:37:17 12,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ^^ Definitely this.

We had the "head" midwife, if that's what you'd term it, for our area. She was incredibly knowledgeable but it was almost as if she'd just disengaged with the every day low level care people need. Could talk for England too, often forgetting to that you might need to say something too during the visit.

I was really relieved when it became apparent that she wouldn't be there at the birth.

As for the scan. We were high risk too, after a "phantom pregnancy" previous to our successful one. That automatically had us down for a scan at, I think it was, week 9.
    I'd do as people have mentioned above and express your concerns, explain that it is a source of worry and sleepless night for you both and hopefully bump yourselves up the list.
    Obviously, any spotting or unusual feelings then bypass all of that and get yourselves to A & E pronto.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.