Skrillex (Dub Step Electronic Bass Drop WomWomWom)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Gearskin 20 Aug 2011 12:36:28 2,045 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No thread? Our Admin over on BXB started one up a lil' while back now and whilst this isn't usually my kind of music... I'm loving this stuff.

You may have heard his stuff cropping up about the place. I've been hearing him on Radio 1. Zane Lowe seems to be on board. Fearne Cotton named "Equinox" as her track of the week... some... week. Fearne Cotton is hot, don't know why there's an almost comedic hatred of her?

I DIGRESS!

He did the Reptile character track for the latest Mortal Kombat game.

TheOfficialSkrillex has a creepy first music video for that Equinox (First of the Year) track. I like. But it's weird. Maybe too weird.

With 24.5 million views, Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites must be one of the most popular tracks on there?

Rock n' Roll is ace.

But my favourite so far is his remix of Nero's Promises.
  • El_MUERkO 20 Aug 2011 12:43:33 17,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    iBenji is better, good tracks...

E fights cancer you silly old man!!!

Russia isn't a city!
  • StixxUK 20 Aug 2011 13:02:58 7,263 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Man, dubstep all sounds so generic to me. Like iBenji better but I can see Skrillex' identikit "smashers" doing some "dancefloor damage".
  • WoodenSpoon 20 Aug 2011 13:48:18 12,290 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RIP Dubstep
  • urban 20 Aug 2011 14:10:03 10,976 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Music for students.
  • urban 20 Aug 2011 14:10:03 10,976 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Syrette 20 Aug 2011 15:02:42 43,750 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There is a dubstep thread.

Can't stand his music personally.

• QotSAfan 20 Aug 2011 15:16:38 1,717 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He was in some terrible scene band before he started "DJing" as Skrillex. Even more terrible now. Got a firm grip on the Oasis/Prodigy we are proper ladz market though. Anyway, very common denominator stuff, The Black Eyed Peas of dubstep. Yeah, I'm not a fan.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2011 15:31:48
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    RIP Dubstep

So where's the celebration?
  • shamblemonkee 20 Aug 2011 15:53:33 14,485 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    random stabs and wobbles of bass do not equal a tune :-s if you like a good bit of bass may i suggest some music in that vein that still retains a tune...

Flux Pavillion - Got 2 Know
    Rusko - Woo Boost
    Bassnectar - Bass Head
    Blame - Star
    Hyper - The End (Minus Remix)

• WoodenSpoon 20 Aug 2011 16:03:35 12,290 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just for reference it should sound like this
  • senso-ji 14 Sep 2012 22:56:12 5,958 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bumping the thread to post this awful video

Apologies.
  • RedSparrows 14 Sep 2012 23:01:00 23,255 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's an entire sub-genre of people gurning 'like, yeah, i just, like uugghhhh' who need to be removed.
  • richardiox 14 Sep 2012 23:31:44 5,637 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @senso-ji

Wow. Dubstep has really gone to shit.

"He's created a new style of music" says one twat on that video.

Plastician, Excision et al were producing dubstep 11 fucking years ago.

When I used to go out raving 2000-2009 dubstep was still very much a niche "room 2" style, people like the kids on the video would have stuck out like a sore thumb. It now seems exclusively for middle class students and it's all thoroughly depressing considering the roots of the music and scene were quiet edgy. It's got from smoky weed filled clubs to the MTV awards basically and led to the shift in demographics you'd imagine that would cause. It's like these kind of acts signal an end to the producer as a DJ playing their tracks and other peoples culture to a producer as a "live act" culture. I saw Nero at a night in Leeds, first time I had been out in a couple of years and when he took to the stage it was like being at a rock gig not a dance. Things were changing.

Funnily enough, when I first heard Skrillex, as much as I thought some of his tracks were pretty cool I knew it was the beginning of the end for the scene just by the guy himself. Almost carbon copy of the Pendulum story....e.g new producers not from the UK have their ears pricked up by a new underground "heavy" style of music from London. Both Skrillex and Pendulum had backgrounds in punk/metal.

They then produce some tunes that all the big UK 'scene' DJs play out which get them established and their names out there.

Because they're middle-class and not from "the scene" they become media darlings and focus more on getting their productions played on Radio One than going out and smashing dance floors.

They then stop being DJs like their peers who influenced them and originated the style. They become "acts" who charge 20 a ticket to see them play live. They also put NOTHING back into the scene where they got their style from and to all the hard working more underground DJs, producers, MCs who built the scene in the first place.

Skrillex could easily book people like N-Type, Silkie, Quest, Stioian to support him at his shows but he doesn't. Same could be said for Pendulum. They could also help the other acts get exposure by playing their records out...but they don't as they are "live acts" and the promoters and "fans" have an expectation they will just play tracks from their albums "huh...this isnt a Skrillex song...refund now!".

This is even though they themselves relied on other people playing their tunes to help them break into the scene in the first place.

And then they go on to make millions and be all over MTV whilst the pioneers of the scene who originated the whole style live in flats in Hackney, still promote raves, still do pirate radio, still run their own reocrd labels to help up and coming DJs out.

Skrillex could use his fame to educate people about the scene where he got/stole his style from but he doesn't. That's why 90% of Skrillex fans think he is the pioneer of dubstep and that dubstep is a new thing.

And all these kids think they are ravers because they go to a Skrillex concert that finishes at 11pm - 20 a ticket just for one act.

Meanwhile at a club over the road, N-Type, Benga, Loefah, Mala etc are playing a 10 hour dubstep night that's 12 to get in but "the kids" wouldn't ever even consider going.

In case you can't tell this appropriation of culture without putting anything back or acknowledging the source is a real pet hate and I think Pendulum and Skrillex are great examples of cultural theft....leading to massive profits for everyone other than those who built the scene in the first place.
  • Syrette 14 Sep 2012 23:40:02 43,750 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago

• ecu 14 Sep 2012 23:43:02 77,018 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Skrillex.
  • neilka 14 Sep 2012 23:43:37 16,245 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    @senso-ji

Wow. Dubstep has really gone to shit.

"He's created a new style of music" says one twat on that video.

Plastician, Excision et al were producing dubstep 11 fucking years ago.

When I used to go out raving 2000-2009 dubstep was still very much a niche "room 2" style, people like the kids on the video would have stuck out like a sore thumb. It now seems exclusively for middle class students and it's all thoroughly depressing considering the roots of the music and scene were quiet edgy. It's got from smoky weed filled clubs to the MTV awards basically and led to the shift in demographics you'd imagine that would cause. It's like these kind of acts signal an end to the producer as a DJ playing their tracks and other peoples culture to a producer as a "live act" culture. I saw Nero at a night in Leeds, first time I had been out in a couple of years and when he took to the stage it was like being at a rock gig not a dance. Things were changing.

Funnily enough, when I first heard Skrillex, as much as I thought some of his tracks were pretty cool I knew it was the beginning of the end for the scene just by the guy himself. Almost carbon copy of the Pendulum story....e.g new producers not from the UK have their ears pricked up by a new underground "heavy" style of music from London. Both Skrillex and Pendulum had backgrounds in punk/metal.

They then produce some tunes that all the big UK 'scene' DJs play out which get them established and their names out there.

Because they're middle-class and not from "the scene" they become media darlings and focus more on getting their productions played on Radio One than going out and smashing dance floors.

They then stop being DJs like their peers who influenced them and originated the style. They become "acts" who charge 20 a ticket to see them play live. They also put NOTHING back into the scene where they got their style from and to all the hard working more underground DJs, producers, MCs who built the scene in the first place.

Skrillex could easily book people like N-Type, Silkie, Quest, Stioian to support him at his shows but he doesn't. Same could be said for Pendulum. They could also help the other acts get exposure by playing their records out...but they don't as they are "live acts" and the promoters and "fans" have an expectation they will just play tracks from their albums "huh...this isnt a Skrillex song...refund now!".

This is even though they themselves relied on other people playing their tunes to help them break into the scene in the first place.

And then they go on to make millions and be all over MTV whilst the pioneers of the scene who originated the whole style live in flats in Hackney, still promote raves, still do pirate radio, still run their own reocrd labels to help up and coming DJs out.

Skrillex could use his fame to educate people about the scene where he got/stole his style from but he doesn't. That's why 90% of Skrillex fans think he is the pioneer of dubstep and that dubstep is a new thing.

And all these kids think they are ravers because they go to a Skrillex concert that finishes at 11pm - 20 a ticket just for one act.

Meanwhile at a club over the road, N-Type, Benga, Loefah, Mala etc are playing a 10 hour dubstep night that's 12 to get in but "the kids" wouldn't ever even consider going.

In case you can't tell this appropriation of culture without putting anything back or acknowledging the source is a real pet hate and I think Pendulum and Skrillex are great examples of cultural theft....leading to massive profits for everyone other than those who built the scene in the first place.

Edited by neilka at 00:42:09 15-09-2012
  • mal 15 Sep 2012 00:33:46 22,691 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Skrillex.
    :D

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• RedSparrows 15 Sep 2012 01:41:21 23,255 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    hahaha, oh the banal.
  • Khanivor 15 Sep 2012 02:49:05 40,938 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That was a quality post there rich. Skrilex threaf has finally been good for something!
  • WoodenSpoon 15 Sep 2012 03:43:17 12,290 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjAbWKt6q4w
  • Load_2.0 15 Sep 2012 08:24:50 19,442 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am not a fan at all but I wouldn't class Skillrex as dubstep, some of his stuff is pure electro. (God I hate music labels!) and the rest is classed as Brostep (ugh)

I am not a massive dubstep fan either but you compare him to Loefah who I quite like and there really isn't much to compare, the BPM, the samples and the sound is different.

The reason dubstep fits a "smoky weed filled clubs" and "room 2" is that big crowds need faster and louder. So if you want to play the crowds, festivals and mainstage you have to incorporate those elements. Dubstep (of old) will never work in that theatre type environment.

Besides he is hardly the only one, Nero for example, if you compare "This Way" to his later stuff it's worlds apart.

Long story short I don't know why you begrudge someone for taking a paycheck if that is what they want to do.

Besides given dubstep is relatively new in comparison to the many genre's it incorporates it is a bit odd to bemoan it's passing. There is still plenty of decent garage and D&B being produced, no reason to suggest that dubstep as a genre will now all move in this direction.
  • King_Edward 15 Sep 2012 08:31:43 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I stopped really caring about music about the time I left school, but I do quite like Skrillex. I don't know if he's dubstep or not. I don't really know what that is. Wubwubwub.
  • Syrette 15 Sep 2012 11:26:33 43,750 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I used to like Nero back in the day. This Way, Act Like You Know, Something Else, Night Thunder etc. Used to play them when no-one else had a clue who they were and they played the odd small club night over where I used to live.

Then they suddenly blew up off the back of a couple of remixes and went too commercial (not that they weren't accessible to start with).

I still like the odd bit of dubstep but I listen to it less and less now and it's harder to find artists I like/artists that sound at all fresh. I don't have access to the same nights that I used to or hang around the sort of people who could recommend artists back in the day (before dubstep was big, for me I was mostly into it 05-09). I much prefer my dnb now. I can listen to that all day long.

Edited by Syrette at 13:27:35 15-09-2012

• Deleted user 15 September 2012 12:15:04
    Shitty electronic music is serious business.

I also love how people are doing the "i liked it before it was cool" bit for this bilge.
  • richardiox 15 Sep 2012 13:24:07 5,637 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not about the "cool" it's about the "culture".
  • WoodenSpoon 15 Sep 2012 14:35:09 12,290 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dubstep was awesome before 2008/9, now it's pretty much ruined.

There are no decent nights out here with any regularity (Newcastle). You can't tell anyone you like it anymore because they either think you like the shit stuff or they recognise that you sound like you're up your own arse. Just a shame.

Maybe in a couple of years all the scenesters and students will move on to the next genre label that they think is cool and I'll be able to have my thing back.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next