Another Random Musings Thread Page 3

• Page

of 568 First / Last

• Genji 19 Aug 2011 01:32:31 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I've always viewed Karma as a "poetic justice" type thing. You do bad things, and they come back and bite you in the arse one way or the other. It's often more a case of social justice rather than random coincidence.
    That's the common useage of it, yeah. The difference between that and the Hindu version is that, in Hinduism, the "justice" can take the form of you being reborn as a tapeworm.
  • spamdangled 19 Aug 2011 01:41:41 27,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I spend enough time in people's colons as it is, I don't need to be a tapeworm for it ;)

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Genji 19 Aug 2011 01:43:28 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TMI
  • Deleted user 19 August 2011 01:43:31
    /voms
  • spamdangled 19 Aug 2011 01:50:36 27,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :D

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Genji 19 Aug 2011 02:02:49 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Actually, now that we're on that topic - with a real live gay person here! - I had a question.

Obviously, there is a certain stereotype associated with gay people, that quite a few of them seem to feel the need to reinforce. Limp wrists, feminine-sounding voices, impeccable fashion sense, bright colours, listening to Barbara Streisand, etc.

None of which particularly offends me, but it does kind of baffle me, as very little of that seems to have anything to do with what I reckon would be the chief factor of homosexuality - being attracted to the same sex. I'm just not sure where all of that comes from!

Was some ideal image popularised, with everyone then trying to live up to it? That happened with the yakuza in Japan, who now style themselves after characters in yakuza movies. Or is it some sort of marker that lets gay people readily identify like-minded individuals?

Of course, not every gay person is like that, but what then do they think of all the gay pride marches and such?
  • Khanivor 19 Aug 2011 02:12:56 41,262 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've wondered that too; how much of the 'flaming' is innate behavior and how much is learned. Obviously you can't accurately speak for all but I've spent enough time in gay bars to form the opinion that a lot of it is intentional identifying behaviour.
  • convercide 19 Aug 2011 02:17:06 6,206 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A lot of it is actually innate.

National Geographic article about brain structure in Homosexual men.

It's something I covered at Uni. I could probably find some relevant journal entries but I really can't be arsed.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Psychotext 19 Aug 2011 02:18:51 55,032 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reminds me of a couple of cousins of mine. One is the campest motherfucker you've ever met. Just, so frilly and soft! The other, a mans man, hunts, is all about the sports and the outdoors.

Was told last year that one of them came out as gay and is having a civil partnership thingy with his boyfriend. Naturally assumed it was the flowery one and congratulated him when I saw him. Yeah... that was a mistake. :D
  • spamdangled 19 Aug 2011 02:23:33 27,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I genuinely don't know. Campness irritates the fuck out of me and I find it incredibly unattractive - if I wanted someone who acted like a woman, I would go for a woman.

Personally, and with my experience of the gay "scene", a lot of it tends to be restricted to young people looking to get some attention after having not so much come out of the closet as having bursted out of it and taken the door off the hinges in the process. The older people get, the less camp they become in my experience. The exception seems to be celebrities who use it as part of their persona and the whole drag queen circuit.

That's probably pretty reductive as I am sure there are all sorts of theories and explanations out there, but that is my experience of the scene - which is itself pretty poisonous anyway and really not something that you would want to embroil yourself in unless you are single, a massive whore, young or part of a specific clique.

• Psychotext 19 Aug 2011 02:25:00 55,032 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha, you sound like my old mate Bjorn. He fucking hated camp gay blokes (mind you, he wasn't exactly butch himself. ;)
  • spamdangled 19 Aug 2011 02:34:04 27,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And to answer the point about Gay Pride - which I missed - that specific point is much more borne out of politics and awareness. Yeah it has very much become known now for summer street parties in various cities like Brighton, Manchester, London and Brum. But there are also serious political issues behind it and it does continue to be relevant for highlighting those issues.

I'm actually going to manc pride this year (bank holiday weekend). Stupid fucking hotels have MASSIVELY inflated their prices though. Twats.

• convercide 19 Aug 2011 02:45:27 6,206 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here you go DM. Search for the Manchester City Centre (Portland Street) hotel.

It's a hotel right in the City Centre, right near the Gay Village and seems to be inexpensive per night.

• spamdangled 19 Aug 2011 02:48:25 27,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's ok, Alex has booked us into some swanky 5 star business hotel weirdness now. He seems bizarrely excited by the fact that they have a swimming pool and is now nagging me to buy swimming trunks.

I have told him politely to fuck off :D

• convercide 19 Aug 2011 02:57:20 6,206 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bar names..

Looks like the running Canal Street joke has been highlighted by the image at the top. Usually the letters get painted over and not strategically hidden by a sign.

• spamdangled 19 Aug 2011 03:00:28 27,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's nothing. There's genuinely a place in Lincoln called Glory Hole (complete with street sign) which has become something of a tourist attraction by the gay scene purely on the name.

• convercide 19 Aug 2011 03:02:54 6,206 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just Googled it. Ever seen seamen pass through the glory hole?

/arf arf

• convercide 19 Aug 2011 03:03:51 6,206 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I suppose there's also these places.

• spamdangled 19 Aug 2011 03:04:50 27,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well it is right next to a canal!

• convercide 19 Aug 2011 03:07:15 6,206 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, saw the image. I wonder if for comedy value a phallic shaped barge occasionally starts to pass under it, reverses, goes forward, reverses etc. until all watching are crying with laughter and/or bored to tears?

• Syrette 19 Aug 2011 03:25:21 44,230 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had no idea it was that well known (in certain circles at least), or in fact known to anyone outside of Lincoln/ye olde Englishe historians.
    I passed by it (not through it; I don't really fancy swimming in that water there, utterly filthy and quite a few have died in it) almost every days for years when I lived in Lincoln.

The sign itself is just s small sign by a set of stairs but the bridge itself is historically a big deal.

• Genji 19 Aug 2011 03:58:54 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    convercide wrote:
    A lot of it is actually innate.

National Geographic article about brain structure in Homosexual men.

It's something I covered at Uni. I could probably find some relevant journal entries but I really can't be arsed.
    Yeah, but the final sentence of that says: "The next big research question, Witelson said, is to determine whether these brain differences influence behavior." So it's kind of inconclusive regarding my question.

Personally, I would guess that it's more of a learned thing, insofar that a lot of behaviors related to gender are learned or conditioned by society. "I am a woman, therefore I should walk like this, talk like this, wear dresses, be silent when the boys are talking, etc" Which obviously is a very old-fashioned, conservative view of gender roles, but is something that has been learned, and reinforced by society.

And then applied to gay people, where there seems to be a view that if one is gay, then one has to walk, talk, and dress a certain way, be attracted to a certain kind of job, etc.

Keeping in mind that I really don't know about any of this, and am just guessing. But as far as "innateness" goes, I'd reckon that the core "gay" part - being attracted to the same sex - is innate, and that the "mincing gay" is part of a desire to differentiate oneself from heterosexuals, be unique. Of course, the question is then where the innate stops and the learning begins.
  • sirtacos 19 Aug 2011 04:12:27 7,378 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seems that the simplest way to answer the question would be to look at a culture where homosexuality is the norm. If Spartans acted FABULOUS, then it would be a good indication. The Sambia of New Guinea are another example.
    IMO the gay == feminine (men) / masculine (for women) thing is almost entirely cultural. In some cases it may be 'innate' (however you define that), but mostly I think it's a case of finding an identity within a specific cultural context.

Basically what Genji said.
  • Genji 19 Aug 2011 04:14:44 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sirtacos is a mod?!?

OUTRAGE

or something

Perhas Spartan should come back and give us his views on this conundrum.
  • sirtacos 19 Aug 2011 04:15:47 7,378 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll ban you in the face.
  • Genji 19 Aug 2011 04:16:46 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :/
  • sirtacos 19 Aug 2011 04:18:39 7,378 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :\
  • Genji 19 Aug 2011 04:19:33 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • sirtacos 19 Aug 2011 04:20:20 7,378 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    8===D---- O-:
  • Genji 19 Aug 2011 04:22:56 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    8===D---- O-:
    So immature. Someone revoke his mod powers!
  • Page

of 568 First / Last