Another Random Musings Thread Page 525

• Page

of 568 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 19 Dec 2012 15:55:52 43,246 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    The reason society cares about children is because children are literally its future. Kal was spot on when he pointed to China, they're going to run into massive problems in a generation because they're going to be a nation of spoilt brats who don't want to continue doing the cheap manual labour that made the country "great". Children grow up into adults who then (mostly) contribute back to the society that protected them as they grew.

I don't even have kids (nor want them) and I understand this.
    Yep it's true that maintaining your population is important and I agreed with kal at the time. I'm not sure this is the conscious reason for what we see in child support / general enthusiasm about everyone having kids etc though.

But yeah, let's move on.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• SolidSCB 19 Dec 2012 16:07:17 6,410 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone else been struck down with this bastard norovirus?  Stomach's kicking the shit out of me and if I so much as move I've got a feeling I'll be doing a liquid mowgli.
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 16:14:33
    Literally everyone I know has had it in the past week. You'd think the end of the world was approaching or something.
  • localnotail 19 Dec 2012 16:16:14 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep, I had it at the weekend. The dread fear actually happened. Still not farting with confidence yet.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• localnotail 19 Dec 2012 16:26:44 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SolidSCB It's been over pretty quickly in our house, only a couple of days. Need to keep your fluids up, get some lemonade if you can - rehydration + energy.

Also, if you feel you want to spew, then do so - I held mine down for a few hours not wanting to face the retching, but felt better pretty much instantly. Take some water with you if poss, keep swilling your mouth out but don't drink any until it's over, then just sips. (edit: I realise I've just described how to be sick, but most people haven't done it sober since childhood)

Other end, well, just go with the flow. No farts til Friday though. Trust me :(

Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by localnotail at 16:28:42 19-12-2012

• SolidSCB 19 Dec 2012 16:30:31 6,410 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fuck attempting any sort of flatulance right now. I've got a feeling trying to burp would have me pissing out at both ends. Going to have to move out of this hunched over position soon. My arse is starting to twitch.
  • Vortex808 19 Dec 2012 16:36:58 6,975 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Fuck attempting any sort of flatulance right now. I've got a feeling trying to burp would have me pissing out at both ends. Going to have to move out of this hunched over position soon. My arse is starting to twitch.
    You know what you need?

A colon snake.
  • SolidSCB 19 Dec 2012 16:37:05 6,410 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'll take that under advisement local.

I was also told to drink flat coke too. Yeah, because I'm always well stocked on that essential household item aren't I dickhead? So now I'm sat here with an open bottle waiting for the fizz to do one.
  • Deckard1 19 Dec 2012 16:37:44 27,254 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shake it

baby
  • localnotail 19 Dec 2012 16:43:05 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Flat coke is ok for rehydration, but caffeine tends to accelerate the gut in most people, which you don't really need right now. If you want it go to flat then pour out a glass and stir it.

Basically what the Norovirus wants is to empty you completely. Utterly. You can fight this, or you can just accept it and succumb to the inevitable. Once you are emptied both ends, it will rest.

Some people pay a fortune to get this clean internally.

Edited by localnotail at 17:06:04 19-12-2012

• Deleted user 19 December 2012 16:47:29
    Flat coke is (allegedly) good for settling upset stomachs, but it's fuck all use against rampaging viruses.
  • King_Edward 19 Dec 2012 16:51:24 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shitting is always my first attempt at a cure for ailments. Usually works too.
  • SolidSCB 19 Dec 2012 16:51:45 6,410 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I'm under no illusion I'm going to be shitting through the eye of a needle for the forseeable, but I'll take a win where I can get it if it makes the stomach pain do one.
  • Psychotext 19 Dec 2012 17:15:12 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Missus got offered a job today and whilst it seems really good on the surface, when you look at the details she's actually going to lose benefits, money, and time. Now I've got to tell her, and I really don't want to.

She's going to be gutted. :(
  • neilka 19 Dec 2012 17:19:14 15,678 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try not to be around King_Edward if he gets a paper cut.
  • nickthegun 19 Dec 2012 17:24:20 58,885 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Missus got offered a job today and whilst it seems really good on the surface, when you look at the details she's actually going to lose benefits, money, and time. Now I've got to tell her, and I really don't want to.

She's going to be gutted. :(
    Can she not work these things out for herself?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• neilka 19 Dec 2012 17:26:42 15,678 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The picture in the brochure must have looked good.
  • Psychotext 19 Dec 2012 17:26:50 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Of course, but I already ran the numbers for her because she's in work.

Fucking fuel / tolls. :(

Edited by Psychotext at 17:28:02 19-12-2012
  • sport 19 Dec 2012 18:04:36 12,579 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I'll take that under advisement local.

I was also told to drink flat coke too. Yeah, because I'm always well stocked on that essential household item aren't I dickhead? So now I'm sat here with an open bottle waiting for the fizz to do one.
    Pour fizzy coke in a glass. Add teaspoon of sugar, stir, watch fizziness disappear.
  • localnotail 19 Dec 2012 18:08:57 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Psychotext Maybe she can get travelling expenses from them?

• Psychotext 19 Dec 2012 18:18:38 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    @Psychotext Maybe she can get travelling expenses from them?
    Doesn't seem likely. She already managed to get them to offer her a position at an office closer than the one the job was originally based at. Only thing I can think of is negotiating working from home a day a week.

Shit atmosphere here now. Should have been celebratory. On the surface it looked like a 20% pay rise.
  • graysonavich 19 Dec 2012 21:17:38 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Working now

Edited by graysonavich at 21:18:15 19-12-2012
  • Carlo 19 Dec 2012 21:50:51 17,948 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://now.msn.com/squeezing-breasts-can-stop-cancer

PSN ID: Djini

• Bremenacht 19 Dec 2012 23:17:28 17,613 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    meme wrote:
    The reason society cares about children is because children are literally its future. Kal was spot on when he pointed to China, they're going to run into massive problems in a generation because they're going to be a nation of spoilt brats who don't want to continue doing the cheap manual labour that made the country "great". Children grow up into adults who then (mostly) contribute back to the society that protected them as they grew.

I don't even have kids (nor want them) and I understand this.
    Yep it's true that maintaining your population is important and I agreed with kal at the time. I'm not sure this is the conscious reason for what we see in child support / general enthusiasm about everyone having kids etc though.

But yeah, let's move on.
    Can I add my 2p before the page turns? Having had kids, my chief hope for them was that they'd do better in life than I did. Better educated, better socially and hopefully more successful.

In the context of this conversation, I'd hope that by being better than their parents, they'll contibute more to society and justify the 'investment' made in them by the government in terms of child allowance/tax breaks/whatever. ahh, or what meme said.

Carry on.
  • cubbymoore 20 Dec 2012 00:30:32 36,468 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Amazon recommendations,  I've just bought a keyboard off you, why do you think I would be interested in looking at several other ones?
  • thelzdking 20 Dec 2012 01:43:36 4,328 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
  • thefilthandthefury 20 Dec 2012 07:53:40 24,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Made my morning, that :D
  • Chopsen 20 Dec 2012 08:08:39 15,727 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bought a firewire video analogue to digital capture device for work, and then amazon decided to recommend a lot of soft-core erotica. Cheers for think I'm a perv.
  • nickthegun 20 Dec 2012 08:21:39 58,885 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I followed a link on here to a Nazi flag and for a while amazon thought I may like a wide range of fascist memorabilia.

I also bought tucker a 'where's maddie? ' book for secret Santa and it now recommends anything to do with child abduction.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• ElNino9 20 Dec 2012 09:49:38 13,291 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Shitting is always my first attempt at a cure for ailments. Usually works too.
    Spot on!

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Page

of 568 First / Last