Another Random Musings Thread Page 524

  • Page

    of 568 First / Last

  • graysonavich 19 Dec 2012 13:03:40 7,457 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    With the amount of children in foster care in this country alone - having your own offspring is just a selfish stab at immortality
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 13:04:23
    mowgli wrote:
    Assumed comparing raising kids to hobbies was an obvious wind up but yet there appears to be a full on debate happening. I guess everyone has switched off for Christmas then.
    Look! Mowgli is here! Hello Mowgli!
  • Stickman 19 Dec 2012 13:05:53 29,660 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Feel free to trash me as a person because I disagree with you though.
    Oh, hush!

    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

  • RobTheBuilder 19 Dec 2012 13:06:55 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bad phrasing there LB.

    You do sound a little Sheldon Cooperish, though I do understand where you are coming from overall.
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Dec 2012 13:08:18 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not sure how mowgli can help, his parents were wolves.


    /king of the swingers
  • ModishNouns 19 Dec 2012 13:10:32 4,681 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Life isn't all rational, though. It isn't all about utility and efficiency. Yes, people have children for all manner of reasons, many of them selfish and very few of them practical (an exception being the benefit maxxers).

    If it weren't so, if children were a means to some societal end, I'd... I'd... well, I'd start building models from bottle caps.

    Edited by ModishNouns at 13:11:02 19-12-2012
  • nickthegun 19 Dec 2012 13:10:46 62,791 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hes also done the classic 'dote on a dog like a child' thing, which actually is a hobby.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    funkula

  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 13:11:07
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    I'm not sure how mowgli can help, his parents were wolves.


    /king of the swingers
    IT was either raise me or take up painting model airplanes, I think we can all agree that society lucked out.
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Dec 2012 13:17:38 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mowgli indeed. *cough* ;)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Dec 2012 13:23:01 41,268 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't understand either, then my daughter came along. Turns out the "you don't understand" cliche is true.

    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom

  • RobTheBuilder 19 Dec 2012 13:23:46 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the first is not what most people think.
    It might look that way from the outside in some cases but people have kids because they want kids, not for self fulfilment.
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 13:23:59
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Look, recap for those who don't want to read the whole thing.

    I didn't understand the difference between:


    PERSON: I want to have a child. It's mainly for my sense of self-fulfilment. It'll be tiring, expensive, and who knows what will happen in the end.

    SOCIETY: Good for you, well done! Here, have some money, and some time off. If you need anything else, just call!

    and


    PERSON: I want to restore a classic car. It's mainly for my sense of self-fulfilment. It'll be tiring, expensive, and who knows what will happen in the end.

    SOCIETY: Yeah whatever, go crazy chief.

    and was wondering whether anyone could shed some light on this for me, objectively. Skip to the end, it turns out SOCIETY isn't all about you having kids, it's all about making damn sure the kids you do have are safeguarded as much as possible. Seems obvious now, but I hadn't made the link before.
    Would you like some fries with your assburgers?

    Because in order to start appreciating the views of others in this thread you are going to have to learn to appreciate the difference between raising a kid and restoring a car.
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 13:26:31
    Sorry Mowgli, what was that? You're engaging in the debate that you mocked just a few posts earlier?
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 13:28:24
    Not so much engaging in the debate so much as trying to figure out if he is serious or not. And I have completely switched off for the year. Also, your mother.
  • sport 19 Dec 2012 13:32:27 12,939 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oh that crazy society!
  • 1Dgaf 19 Dec 2012 13:50:54 4,086 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Is it OK to explode a cow with a bazooka?
    Peculiarly, I reviewed a book that's relevant to your question.

    www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

    www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

  • Psychotext 19 Dec 2012 14:21:55 56,652 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    I didn't understand either, then my daughter came along. Turns out the "you don't understand" cliche is true.
    Not really something you can understand though. You're basically geared at a fundamental level to love and protect your offspring. That's why it's so horrific when you get mothers with severe post natal depression who can't bond properly with their children.

    Doesn't make (your) kids any less retarded or annoying though. Especially to other people.
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 14:24:23
    Yeah but why is that different to restoring a car?
  • nickthegun 19 Dec 2012 14:27:48 62,791 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Someone clearly hasnt seen/read Christine

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    funkula

  • mrpon 19 Dec 2012 14:30:42 30,129 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What my (amazing/talented/better than yours) daughter thinks of this discussion so far:

    Give me $10 I'm worth it.

  • Rusty_M 19 Dec 2012 14:31:59 5,196 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow! A portable person!

    The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

  • sport 19 Dec 2012 14:35:51 12,939 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spoilt kid with iPad!!!!
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 15:46:55
    The reason society cares about children is because children are literally its future. Kal was spot on when he pointed to China, they're going to run into massive problems in a generation because they're going to be a nation of spoilt brats who don't want to continue doing the cheap manual labour that made the country "great". Children grow up into adults who then (mostly) contribute back to the society that protected them as they grew.

    I don't even have kids (nor want them) and I understand this.
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 15:49:02
    Oh, this thread moved on by the time I'd gotten around to posting that. As you were.
  • Page

    of 568 First / Last

Log in or register to reply