Another Random Musings Thread Page 510

• Page

of 568 First / Last

• graysonavich 4 Dec 2012 17:16:36 6,802 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If there's a thread on reddit, will it stay in reddit?
  • Rusty_M 4 Dec 2012 17:16:37 4,349 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh for fuck's sake! If that dog pisses in the flat again, I'll...
    Well I don't know what I'll do, but I'll probably be in trouble with the SSPCA!

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• cheeky_prawnking 4 Dec 2012 17:49:25 3,795 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Are they the Nazi ones?
  • Rusty_M 4 Dec 2012 18:45:25 4,349 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They're the Scottish ones ya bloody sassenach! :D

Edited by Rusty_M at 18:45:39 04-12-2012

• jonsaan 4 Dec 2012 19:01:51 25,249 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it a puppy rusty?

FCUTA!

• Rusty_M 4 Dec 2012 19:23:01 4,349 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nope. It's a 11 year old Jack Russell who is really spiteful. She knows to ask outside, but I think she's too lazy to want to go downstairs. It's getting tempting to throw her out of the window.

• localnotail 4 Dec 2012 20:12:15 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have this problem with one of my cats. He does it when he is pissed off about something. He knows it annoys us. I don't know how to stop him. We are currently taking him to the scene of the crime and spraying him with a plant mister, but we are still finding new spots on a weekly basis. At least it doesn't smell too bad since he's neutered.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• localnotail 4 Dec 2012 20:18:44 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Some days (like when I've had to wash the curtains twice in a week), I daydream about leaving the front door open and letting him have an accident :(
    He's been like this for 3 years, it's been pretty bad since the baby arrived. He pisses on her stuff. Yesterday he pissed on Mr Local's leg because he was hungry and hadn't been fed yet.
    I love him, he's sat on my lap right now, but he's the worst cat I've ever had. Terrible issues.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Nexus_6 4 Dec 2012 20:49:21 3,832 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This wee guy on masterchef just now looks like some bizarre combination of Rory Macellroy and Ralf Little - alarming...
  • kickerconspiracy 5 Dec 2012 01:42:57 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Snail is critically hit by Garlic Butter Of Greater Vexing.
  • altitude2k 5 Dec 2012 20:06:23 3,160 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dallas Campbell is basically that freaky alien at the end of the credits in classic Star Trek.

Discuss.
  • RelaxedMikki 5 Dec 2012 20:42:25 892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro is right about the Monty Hall problem. It works because the host knows what's in the boxes and removes a losing box. If you've got either of the two goats initially then switching gets you the car.

I think about it like this:

If you don't switch you can only win if you chose the car initially (1/3 chance of winning)
    If you do switch you can only loose if you chose the car initially (2/3 chance of winning)

It's hard to explain why we get confused by it though. It is confusing. But not easy to explain why.
  • Deleted user 5 December 2012 20:55:09
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    It's hard to explain why we get confused by it though. It is confusing. But not easy to explain why.
    Because the human mind is hardwired to make sense of chaos but also chaos of sense. Our very nature of wanting to know specifics means once those specifics are presented to us we sometimes reject them simply so we can continue the search.

I'm writing a paper on this very issue right now, even referencing Monty Hall.

(fact - pigeons comprehend it quicker than humans)
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2012 21:00:26 27,197 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    meme wrote:
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    Because the human mind is hardwired to make sense of chaos but also chaos of sense. Our very nature of wanting to know specifics means once those specifics are presented to us we sometimes reject them simply so we can continue the search.

For some reason this made me think of how conspiracy theorists reject even the most logical explanation so they can keep up the search for "the truth".

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RelaxedMikki 5 Dec 2012 21:06:54 892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think one of the reasons it confuses us is that implies a kind of backwards causality (i.e. We resist the idea that the host's actions can influence the value of a the box we have already chosen...)
  • cubbymoore 5 Dec 2012 21:10:13 36,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

David Brubeck 1920 - 2012 R.I.P.
  • Deleted user 5 December 2012 21:14:03
    There's also some element of gut instinct in there, in that more people go with superstition or instinct over raw probability, and the overriding gut feeling is that "two boxes are left therefore it's 50/50", and that there's a quasi-bias for our initial selections because people don't want to perceive that initial response as "wrong".

It's quite interesting how utterly ass-backwards, irrational and illogical human reasoning actually is.
  • RelaxedMikki 5 Dec 2012 22:16:05 892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Optical Illusions
  • Mr-Brett 5 Dec 2012 22:41:07 12,676 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    meme wrote:
    RelaxedMikki wrote:

For some reason this made me think of how conspiracy theorists reject even the most logical explanation so they can keep up the search for "the truth".
    It's also worth bearing in mind how much people hate admitting that they were wrong about something. I recommend the book Mistakes Were Made (but Not by Me) to anyone interested in the subject.

Portable view - Never forget.

• X201 5 Dec 2012 23:00:29 14,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    LeoliansBro is right about the Monty Hall problem. It works because the host knows what's in the boxes and removes a losing box. If you've got either of the two goats initially then switching gets you the car.

I think about it like this:

If you don't switch you can only win if you chose the car initially (1/3 chance of winning)
    If you do switch you can only loose if you chose the car initially (2/3 chance of winning)

An easier way of explaining Monty Hall is with 999,999 goats and 1 car.

At the start you have a 1 in 1000000 chance of picking the car.
    If you remove a goat each round until you are down to 2 goats and the car you end up with
    your initial choice which still has odds of 1 in 1000000 or the switch with odds of 2/3
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 12:18:03
    I'm convinced I could go on a masked machine gun spree at work and get away with it. No-one would know...
  • warlockuk 6 Dec 2012 12:53:45 19,101 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    It's also worth bearing in mind how much people hate admitting that they were wrong about something. I recommend the book Mistakes Were Made (but Not by Me) to anyone interested in the subject.
    Like "I'm not a asshole, I'm disabled"? :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• glaeken 6 Dec 2012 13:01:32 10,976 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think with the Monty hall thing you have people thinking it's 50/50 and with that the thought that you would hate to swap and then find out you were indeed right all along. I don't think it's about admitting you were wrong as much as it's about kicking yourself for swapping away from a correct answer.

Just think of it this way if you did swap away and it turned out you had picked correctly first time that would be more annoying than just not having ever had it right. As most people think it's a 50/50 chance this is why the vast majority of people will not swap from their first choice. This has been backed up in a number of experiments.

Edited by glaeken at 13:02:04 06-12-2012
  • LeoliansBro 6 Dec 2012 13:05:55 41,864 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I reckon there's a lot of truth to that. If people think it's 50/50 they'l stick with their first choice so as not to look indecisive, or make a decision they could regret.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RedSparrows 6 Dec 2012 13:07:32 20,754 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone ever get it when their imagination constantly wanders off to a recentish sexual encounter (not with their partner - not in an affair sense, but say last person before yer gf or w/e) and it's really bloody annoying, and you wonder why that one is sticking in your head?

Cos of course, there's loads to choose from...
  • guts 6 Dec 2012 13:38:24 1,690 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Missing working on lifting gear today. Could really do with being half under a scissor lift 'repairing' the hydraulics when really I would be having an hours kip.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• mikeck 6 Dec 2012 14:18:59 1,837 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    localnotail wrote:

He's been like this for 3 years, it's been pretty bad since the baby arrived. He pisses on her stuff.
    That would be the final straw for me. It's hard though I know, especially for a pet you've had for years and do love.
  • Deckard1 6 Dec 2012 14:51:46 25,413 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah we had to get my granddad put down for pretty much the same thing.

Called it

• Bremenacht 6 Dec 2012 14:56:52 15,753 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did he shit outside the box?

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• ronuds 6 Dec 2012 14:59:48 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone used or know someone who has used the electronic cigarette to quit regular cigs?

I'm wondering if it would be an adequate replacement. My biggest issue smoking is when I play games. I could go through a pack in like 4 hours, but otherwise I don't smoke much at all!
  • Page

of 568 First / Last