• Khanivor 10 Nov 2012 01:55:12 39,865 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pass the bong
  • mal 10 Nov 2012 01:56:45 21,929 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    EatMyCow wrote:
    And the person who said may you live in interesting times can do one too.
    I thought that was supposed to be a curse?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• SolidSCB 10 Nov 2012 01:59:22 5,822 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh shit. I forgot the world ends next month. Best pick up my dry cleaning sharpish.
  • RobTheBuilder 10 Nov 2012 02:03:41 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is this the most complex discussed on EG for a while??

Good replies folks :)

"Homer. Your theory of a doughnut shaped universe is fascinating. I shall steal it for my next book."
  • mal 10 Nov 2012 03:58:42 21,929 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Facepalm wrote:
    what do you think of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8axMaBL4uo

but more importantly this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNAUR7NQCLA
    I think you really need to stop posting that contact scene, mate. I groaned the first time I saw it tonight.

The intro though, I've not seen for a long time. Good nod. Scientifically, it's a bit inaccurate (saturn shouldn't eclipse the sun from outside the heliosphere, the gaps between the planets is a bit odd, and the journey to Alpha Centauri was rather too quick), but I love the idea of going back in time, radiologically, as you head away from earth (although since Saturn is 'only' 80-odd light-minutes from the sun, realistically you'd only go back an hour and a bit by the time you got out there, not back 100-odd years as suggested there), but mad props for including both what I assume is the heliosphere and the oort cloud, and mad mad props for including ceres (even if they put it just outside the asterioid belt, rather than in it).

Edited by mal at 03:59:07 10-11-2012

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Rusty_M 10 Nov 2012 22:40:28 4,344 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Many drugs are already based on plants. In fact, frequently highly poisonous drugs.

An issue is that most drugs have both a therapeutic and a toxic level. For medication, the goal is to keep the amount in the body over the therapeutic level but below the toxic level. For some drugs, these levels are closer than with others. You'd be surprised how close they are in paracetamol, for example.

That which heals us, can kill us. Even oxygen is toxic, but we need it. Too much salt will kill you, but so will too little. Drugs and chemicals in the body. They all have to be balanced.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Bremenacht 10 Nov 2012 22:51:14 15,741 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Facepalm wrote:
    what do you think of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8axMaBL4uo

but more importantly this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNAUR7NQCLA
    I think you really need to stop posting that contact scene, mate. I groaned the first time I saw it tonight.

The intro though, I've not seen for a long time. Good nod. Scientifically, it's a bit inaccurate (saturn shouldn't eclipse the sun from outside the heliosphere, the gaps between the planets is a bit odd, and the journey to Alpha Centauri was rather too quick), but I love the idea of going back in time, radiologically, as you head away from earth (although since Saturn is 'only' 80-odd light-minutes from the sun, realistically you'd only go back an hour and a bit by the time you got out there, not back 100-odd years as suggested there), but mad props for including both what I assume is the heliosphere and the oort cloud, and mad mad props for including ceres (even if they put it just outside the asterioid belt, rather than in it).
    Love that opener. Sums up the whole ethos of the film.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Page

of 568 First / Last