Resident Evil Revelations Page 3

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• roz123 12 Jan 2012 23:15:34 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah it was taken down after a short time. I read it and I thought the review was mostly positive.
    Game informer gave it a 9 here are the details I nicked from gonintendo

- Delivers a console-caliber Resident Evil experience on a handheld
    - Rich animations, detailed environments and solid cutscenes make this a visual stunner
    - Some of the best music in the series, and disturbing monster noises help get you into the game
    - Controls just as smoothly as its console predecessors, and the slick new dodge mechanic makes it even better
    - A perfect blend of action and survival are driven home by a gripping episodic narrative that will have you struggling to put down your 3DS
    - A story that puts the last two main series entries to shame

"Since its inception in 1996, the Resident Evil series has gradually mutated from the eerie, slow-paced horror into a guns-blazing, explosion-riddled blockbuster. Resident Evil Revelations, the newest worthwhile title for 3DS, improves the fantastic gameplay established by recent entries while rekindling the dread and survival from the earlier games. Jill and Chris' latest ordeal is the most satisfying Resident Evil experience we've played in years.

What about the circle pad? Personally, I didn't experience one moment in the game that left me wanting for an extra circle pad.

The D-Pad is used to switch between all your items, a simple but useful addition when cornered by a pack of zombies. My favorite addition is the dodge ability. One well timed flick of the circle pad lets you evade enemy attacks. Out maneuvering monsters is priceless in a game where choosing your battles is both crucial and fun. Revelations also incorporates deep weapon customization in the vein of Call of Duty. Want a shotgun with augmented power, a wider spread, and gigantic clip size? No problem. Considering how precious ammo can be, tailoring weapons to your specific play style is a dream come true for survival horror fans."
  • Deleted user 12 January 2012 23:24:01
    Dodge sounds like it was taken from powerstone
  • roz123 13 Jan 2012 09:24:23 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I never played that, whats it like. Other M has a really good dodge mechanic that sounds like it controls similar but that was quite fast moving, obviously this is a zombie game so it will be slower and maybe more difficult to do.
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Jan 2012 09:42:07 15,046 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm going to have to get a 3DS...for fuck sake :)

Still looking at the icewhite (lovely colour) + mario pack at 150 to be the best value for money, anyone know different please.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:42:21 13-01-2012

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• evild_edd 13 Jan 2012 12:36:32 3,148 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    6/10 in this issue of Edge.

Haven't read the review yet, but the score saddens me - I usually agree with the Edge opinion and they've remained fans of the series historically :/

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• INSOMANiAC 13 Jan 2012 13:01:09 3,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gamesmaster 91% , NGamer 90%, Nintendo power 9/10, Edge 6/10. Spot the odd one out.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• andywilkie35 13 Jan 2012 13:08:00 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not bothered by what Edge say - irrelevant magazine.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Cadence 13 Jan 2012 13:08:09 1,693 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fucking hell Edge. Any idea what their beef was with it?
  • Kay 13 Jan 2012 13:08:42 17,936 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Two Nintendo magazines, and Gamesmaster? I know which score I'd trust more.
  • Cadence 13 Jan 2012 13:11:43 1,693 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gamesmaster? :)
  • Kay 13 Jan 2012 13:13:37 17,936 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, Edge. Probably should have mentioned that actually!
  • Cadence 13 Jan 2012 13:15:13 1,693 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hehe, I knew you meant that really. Just teasing. I might pop over to the shops in a bit, see if I can find a copy. I'll try and report back with my findings if no one else has.

Edited by Cadence at 13:16:17 13-01-2012
  • DFawkes 13 Jan 2012 13:17:31 23,432 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd probably trust the demo more, one it's out. That way it's your own opinion rather than some person who may or may not feel totally different about the game.

Is the demo that's supposed to appear on the eShop going to be different to the Merxenaries one?

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• INSOMANiAC 13 Jan 2012 13:26:07 3,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes Edge is much more reliable because it uses big words and is slightly pretentious/up its own arse

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• evild_edd 13 Jan 2012 13:27:15 3,148 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just read the review, a few criticisms:

1. (main criticism) the game feels like it doesn't know whether it's an action game of a survival horror. Sounds like it leans more towardss the RE5 spectrum, with side-stepping and more relaxed item management alleviating any tension
    2. Poor, "brain dead" enemy AI behave "erratically" with a "lack of spatial awareness".
    3. Fractured, broken plotwith what sounds like a hideous misstep in the "third act" when - after the previous Jill and Chris sections (each with their own partner) - the game, and I'll quote here, "bizarrely...introduces a comic-relief double act, Quint and Keith" O.o

Why look, it's a blog:

• INSOMANiAC 13 Jan 2012 13:31:26 3,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Every Resident Evil game so far should have had a double act called Quint and Keith. That's where they've been going wrong

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• evild_edd 13 Jan 2012 13:32:15 3,148 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Two Nintendo magazines, and Gamesmaster? I know which score I'd trust more.
    This is a fair point - most console specific mags will score exclusives way too high. The only exception I can think of is (or was) OXM, that went through a phase (early in the 360's life) of giving really harsh marks compared to others. Not read it for ages.

Anyway, like all mags/reviewers, I guess it's a case of finding one you agree with the majority of the time and trusting them. That's the case for me with Edge, who I'd trust over any others. But then I'm a fan of superfluous word use and general pretentiousness ;0)

Why look, it's a blog:

• ecu 13 Jan 2012 13:33:24 77,097 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trust the content of the review not the score.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2012 13:33:32
    It always looked a bit arse from the videos so a six isn't a big surprise. Still interested though.
  • MatMan562 13 Jan 2012 13:38:58 2,522 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just read the Edge review for this. Their main gripe seemed to be with the story and some of the characters. Whilst they say Jill Valentine's part of the game "comes closest to the series' former gameplay glory" they also claim that "The push to make Resident Evil accessible was arguably instigated by Resident Evil 5, but Revelations picks up the ball and runs even farther toward the casual-shooter goal." Which is a complete contrast to what everybody else seems to be saying about the game.

The closing paragraph is:
    "Revelations is a pick 'n' mix of the series iconography and mechanics, then. It takes the best and worst of Resident Evils past and present and spot welds them together unevenly. If the designers had commited wholeheartedly to either polarity of action or horror, Revelations may have been a headshot, but what we're left with is more like a glancing blow."

My pre-order is still in place.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• evild_edd 13 Jan 2012 13:39:20 3,148 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ecureuil - well said!

Cappy just posted the following in the Edge #237 thread (general gaming):

"Games TM gave Resident Evil: Revelations the exact same 6/10 score so it's not exactly the outlier opinion that some will argue it to be.

That's 6/10 in both of the prominent UK multiformat publications, it's the rave reviews that probably deserve greater suspicion.
    "

A little worrying. I won't be rushing out for a 3DS just yet...

Why look, it's a blog:

• INSOMANiAC 13 Jan 2012 14:10:38 3,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I stick to the EG law of scoring. Is it mildly fun? Does it last more than 6 hours? 8/10. Therefore, I am giving RE 8/10 before Ive even played it.

It's similar to digital foundry law of conclusion making

'It looks slightly better on the Xbox 360 but PS3 owners will still be able to enjoy the game'

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• roz123 13 Jan 2012 14:38:00 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think NGamer (UK) is actually one of the mags that gives surprisingly low scores quite often.

The interesting thing about all these reviews that I have noticed is how widely opinion differs on individual aspects like the story and if its more action or horror. Did Edge mention the co-op mode as I have not seen much on that?
  • evild_edd 13 Jan 2012 14:54:19 3,148 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @roz123 - there is a little, yes. All sounds 'tacked-on'.

Areas for the mode are unlocked as you progress (there's no standalone co-op mode from the get-go), and then Edge claims that what there is feels more suited to SP, filled as it is with narrow corridors ripped from the campaign. Little in the way of co-op puzzling, either.

A missed opportunity, by the sounds of things.

Note: Edge did praise the overall production values of the game, and it clearly wasn't all bad; it reads as though they were frustrated RE:R didn't offer more - or at least a more coherent vision - given the level of development lavished upon it...

Why look, it's a blog:

• Deleted user 13 January 2012 15:04:07
    6/10 sounds better than RE5
  • el_pollo_diablo 13 Jan 2012 15:23:57 2,112 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Who plays Resident Evil for the story? It's turgid, overblown bollocks.

I just want to know if it's a) scary, and b) fun to pop heads. Fuck the story.
  • kinky_mong 13 Jan 2012 16:50:59 10,523 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:

I just want to know if it's a) scary, and b) fun to pop heads. Fuck the story.
    Agreed.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Jmek 13 Jan 2012 17:31:12 1,352 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm so close to buying a 3DS to play this....
  • mrpon 13 Jan 2012 17:38:19 29,238 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have you got it in your hand (the 3DS) at the till and about to hand over the money?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 13 January 2012 18:15:45
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    That's part of the fun, who doesn't like movie stuff?

TBF you could apply that to almost every game this gen :D
  • Page

of 18 First / Last