Resident Evil Revelations Page 16

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• CharlieStCloud 2 Feb 2012 10:30:02 5,530 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ... game = complete.

There is a 8/10 game in there somewhere but those moments are too few and far in-between, which makes me wonder how on Earth some reviewers are proclaiming that this is one of the best Resident Evil game in the series is genuinely beyond me!

The first four or five chapters were rather quite good, especially when you are playing Jill's side of the story but for some odd reason, the story went from being fairly straightforward and keeping in line with a typical Resident Evil game to something entirely incomprehendable and quite frankly, bollocks.

The bosses were not that bad although there was no sense of urgency or tension however, the usual non-zombie thingummies were shockingly poor and made me waste a silly amount of ammo because of a non-existence hit detection model and absolutely no audio or visible clue as to when they die or are dying.

The hunters for example actually have a bit of a skipped animation from still being alive to falling to the floor and die.

I think 6/10 is more than generous, especially when you consider the complete lack of puzzles, more on the action side than the old fashioned gameplay (who thinks this is a 'nice blend of the old and new'? It really, really isn't!) and some odd decisions like only being allowed so much ammo and green herbs (five green herbs... is that all I can have?) as well as the same thing I have already mentioned; woefully poor enemies that belongs in an entirely different game.

... maybe after reading a few interviews from Capcom saying things like 'so scary, you'll never finish it' and 'harks back to the classic Resident Evil games' raised my expectations a little bit too high but ultimately, those two quotes never actually came to fruition:

The game is at no point scary yet alone being scary enough to stop you from finishing it but most disappointingly, apart from the first few chapters, there is no 'Resident Evil of old' to be seen.

Oh well...

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 12:45:03 02-02-2012
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 15:11:21
    Very articulate post. Hope to christ you're full of shit like. My copy is in the post ftr.
  • Trafford 2 Feb 2012 16:08:06 5,971 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loving this game, just coming to the end of Episode 8.
  • StevilKnevil 2 Feb 2012 16:44:11 310 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bloody hell theres a lot of negative shit being posted about this game.
    In fact, if I didn't already own the game it would make me think twice about buying it thats for sure.

It's Resi, in 3d, and it's FUN, for me anyway.

I'm with Trafford, hope you enjoy it too mr BT09 :rolleyes:

6/10 my arse.

GT: SteviL UK PSN: SJM2007

• Grump 2 Feb 2012 16:50:02 1,180 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Love it too!

Did my first co-op mission last night with some random and enjoyed it immensely.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 16:58:04
    Yeah, it's a great game. I honestly don't get the negativity if you enjoyed previous Resi games.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 17:06:30
    Cheers, I also think the magical nature of it being on a handheld with such great graphics will compensate a lot; in my eyes at least.
  • Kami 3 Feb 2012 00:58:55 2,466 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think it is a proper Resi though. It's hilarious, although in a deadpan way, like Leslie Nielsen - there's just that glance afterwards where you realise "Oh wait, you're not being serious. Okay!". Resident Evil 5 was The Rock (Thinks its funny and versatile and isn't) and Resident Evil 4 was Jim Carrey (hilarious in a knowing, self-conscious way even when playing it straight). I think in some regards this is where the confusion is coming in - Resident Evil 3 was camper than a row of tents filled with Graham Norton clones. Resi 1/REmake was funny in a dryly B-Movie way, intentional but making a point, and Resi 2 just had filth. I'm sorry but see one slutty zombie chowing down on a dead guys crotch, you just can't help but see it all the time. Everyone. Crotches. Filth. :p

By this I basically mean the series is darkly comic; but it's never been able to pin down how to do it exactly. It's just there, in differing forms, and it makes the series a little confusing I think to gauge sometimes. It's that the series hasn't been able to pin down how it wants to do this that seems to divide people - we all have our preferences. Personally, I loved the Resi 3 approach. But that's just me. I love high camp in horror. Helps I played Resi 3 on a black and white screen too back in the day for full retro-horror effect. Awesome.

I think Hell Mode in Revelations will drive people crazy though - it's properly tough, especially in the segments without access to the upgrades, where you're reliant on limited ammo and resources against things which generally can two shot you or in many cases, instadeath you if you get too close. I'm on the ship with Chris and Jessica - and I'm telling you right now, this segment is winning hands down against me. Not enough ammo, not enough space, not enough herbs, not enough talent.

STOP THEM COMING! I... can't... no... ammo... help... me... maaaaAAAAyyyddaaaaAAyyyYY...

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• MadCaddy13 3 Feb 2012 07:48:28 2,059 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just got through the first chapter. My god it's beautiful. Controls are fantastic and the audio is brilliant. Only gripe is the enemies. Shooting them is a little shite :/ not like the other resi games (4 and5). And when they turn into that pool of goo, that's pretty crap too - specially when you shoot them on the stairs. Other than that - best game I've ever played on a handheld so far!
  • roz123 3 Feb 2012 10:18:52 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm enjoying Raid mode, only played it a little but managed to get myself a small magnum with a foot long barrel that is stupidly powerful (not sure if this was luck or something everyone gets because I got it straight after doing the first level).
    Its a little annoying that you have to start from scratch with upgrades and weapons but they keep them coming thick and fast and the points you accumulated in the campaign can be spent on upgrades and restocking ammo/grenades. The weapons that drop seem to have a random element about them so you might get the same shotgun but it will have an extra upgrade slot and quicker fire rate. Enemies come in various sizes, speed and strength and their placement is different to the campaign. They have a health bar so you don't waste bullets.
  • Kami 3 Feb 2012 22:47:50 2,466 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @MadCaddy13 ; That's just it, Raid Mode and Hell Mode teach you that shooting isn't about just hitting the monsters - they each have weak points, couple that with the upgrades on offer and you can take a lot of advantage over them by stunning them or stopping their movement, then closing in for the kill. The amount of ammo I must have wasted on my first playthrough doesn't bear thinking about... all that ammo... *sniffles*

Just a good heads up. And another tip for some of you, and a reminder for others - if you die, and don't want to chalk up a death on your counter, restart it. It undoes the death counter by starting you back at the start/checkpoint before you died.

Not that I've been exploiting this bug. No sirree... *meek cough*

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• acousticwilliam 4 Feb 2012 22:36:41 801 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it was chapter 8 that I just completed but wow, the minigun boat chase bit with the tentacles is excellent if you use the gyro aiming and how about that bit where the timer is going down and you have to get to the room to switch on the UAV with that cow chasing you and then the pizza chef chainsaw guy appears too!! Hectic.

While the game is no 'Jesus: The Movie', it is very, very good. Having said that, I haven't finished it yet ;)
    Hopefully multiple playthroughs will be as fun and addicting as Resi 4.

Usually do a bit of Raid on the Tube on the way to work, but decided to give campaign chapter 7 a bash. Actually jumped when you go in that keycard room and get the Magnum. Then when you turn around that ooze falls in from the ceiling grate. I hopelessly tried to cover it up by doing a fake sneeze after.

What a douche.

Edited by acousticwilliam at 22:37:40 04-02-2012

NNID: Willum

• JinTypeNoir 5 Feb 2012 01:01:16 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    acousticwilliam wrote:
    While the game is no 'Jesus: The Movie', it is very, very good. Having said that, I haven't finished it yet ;)

Actually the game's story and atmosphere reminds me a lot of Jesus*.

*The 1980s PC horror adventure game Enix released for the PC and the Famicom.
  • Ror1984 6 Feb 2012 14:01:56 4,247 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just finished Chapter 4 last night (I really enjoyed the Raechel boss fight), time on the clock is six hours. What can I say, I like to take my time and explore! Plus, scanning the environments is bringing back welcome Metroid Prime memories...

My thoughts up to this point: I am absolutely loving it so far. I still can't get over quite how good it looks. Character models in particular are outstanding (though the lack of facial animation during dialog in gameplay is a little strange), and pretty much all of the locations so far have been very good-looking. The only Chris section I've played so far was a little bland from an art/design perspective, but that's to be expected considering it's set in a snowy area with caves.

The Queen Zenobia is an excellent setting (and finding a file that states its interior was designed by George Trevor "before his disappearance" was a really nice touch), and while it's certainly not a scary game, it can be a bit creepy at times - generally when it comes to bosses. Well, the two I've encountered so far, anyway.

I know a lot of people have complained that there's little-to-no combat feedback, but it doesn't bother me. Well, not the standard enemies, anyway. The two bosses I've fought seem to just be bullet sponges, and when you're pumping that much lead into them, it'd be nice to have a little more indication that you're actually doing damage. It's not a huge problem for me though, by any means.

From this first third of the game, it's certainly deserving of a solid 8/10 for me, though I am about to embark on my first 'comedy duo' mission. At least the game has given me control of the (seemingly) less annoying of the two.

We'll see how it goes...
  • Murbs 6 Feb 2012 14:40:31 22,586 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still unconvinced whether or not I'll play this (certainly the main game) with or without the circle pad. What's the general consensus so far?
  • Ror1984 6 Feb 2012 15:02:04 4,247 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I played the demo a handful of times without it, and it was perfectly playable. But I haven't played the full game without the CPP at all, and personally I think it's just a lot more comfortable to control with it.

But then I got the game and CPP for 30. I'm not entirely sure I'd recommend buying a 15-20 accessory just for a single game that handles perfectly fine without it. And Zavvi don't have the bundle listed any more.

Unless you've already bought the bundle and just haven't played it yet? In which case I'd use the CPP. It makes holding the 3DS for long periods a fair bit more comfortable.
  • Trafford 6 Feb 2012 16:17:54 5,971 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished the campaign over the weekend, 15 hours 30 minutes on the clock.
    Very enjoyable, even the secondary charachters didn't out stay their welcome, despite some real padding at the end. 11-2?? no need, but 12 was nice, there's an alternate ending as well I think.

CPP does add a lot more to the controls, currently hoofing round Raid mode on Trench difficulty, it would be hard work for me without it.
    Glad I got the device, MGS 3d next month uses it as well.
  • INSOMANiAC 6 Feb 2012 18:51:50 3,842 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FINALLY got my other two copies off Zavvi today, thanks very much!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• kinky_mong 9 Feb 2012 17:06:45 10,866 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished Chapter 7 last night, and to be honest I'm finding it very boring so far, I can rarely do more than half a chapter in one sitting.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• INSOMANiAC 9 Feb 2012 17:54:32 3,842 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ive not played it for ages, not got te will to carry on. It started so well as well

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Raiko101 10 Feb 2012 02:59:46 6,708 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've not completed it, but thats because I started playing Xenoblade instead. I'm hoping i'll be more interest when i've got that game out of the way. For now my 3DS is used for Mario Kart, Zen Pinball and Twinbee, as you can play them in short bursts if you've not got the time.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Midgar777 10 Feb 2012 09:43:28 472 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Loved this game. To get more life out of it I did the story mode until I unlocked Raid mode then played through all the levels I'd unlocked getting S ranks. Then I went back to the storyline to unlock more raid...rinse, repeat :D
  • roz123 10 Feb 2012 10:32:59 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have finished it now and the campaign was better then I expected. Music and story were great and they mixed up the gameplay enough to keep it interesting. It has some faults but they are minor, I enjoyed it a lot and am looking forward to getting back to it and doing some co-op raid missions and a new game+.
  • Grump 10 Feb 2012 11:43:00 1,180 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One more chapter to go and I'm done. I disagree with those that say that that the best moments are only in the first half of the game - for me it's been great throughout!
  • Grump 14 Feb 2012 09:19:50 1,180 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Done!

Going to trade it in now for some Vita goodies :-P

Edited by Grump at 09:20:20 14-02-2012
  • acousticwilliam 15 Feb 2012 13:26:53 801 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished first playthrough. 11hrs, took my sweet time with it. 5hrs of Raid down too.

Last boss was a little cheap but good. Whittled him down and then ripped him up with the RPG I had saved.

F'ing loved the candle lit hallway and when the candles get blown out. Then you enter the dining room with the bodies on the table. Should have been more of that and less of the parts where you walk or swim from point a-b not actually doing anything.

One thing that made me hop about was in the outro cinema when it shows the clip of Chris and Jill walking up to a mansion. Total goosebumps! I was hoping this would be an 'extra' fan service mission, but looks like it's setting up RE6?

What are your thoughts?

New game+ now, hopefully future replays are as addicting as RE4. Probably not though ay?

8/10

• DFawkes 15 Feb 2012 13:31:39 24,050 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Addictive.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• roz123 15 Feb 2012 13:43:27 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I didnt really make the most of the last boss, went in with a RPG and a powerful rifle upgraded with 60% damage and made quick work of it. The build up was great but I found that in general the bosses were not the best. That could have been down to playing Skyward Sword recently, that has some of the best boss battles I have played.
    Great game though, I'm sad to see it drop out of the UK charts this week as it deserves good sales. I think they made a bit of an error having the CPP bundle exclusive to Zavvi (even though it saved me money).
  • Trafford 15 Feb 2012 22:28:27 5,971 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The clip of the mansion at the end is from Lost in Nightmares , Resi 5 dlc, kinda the missing link between this game and 5.

I've enjoyed playing 15 hours+ of raid. Abyss difficulty really mixes up the enemies.
  • acousticwilliam 16 Feb 2012 10:12:10 801 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh, I see! I didn't play Lost in Nightmares, might well do now though.

New game+ only takes Jill's 'current' scenario weapons over, so all of the other character parts have the basic weapons. Arg!

• Page

of 18 First / Last