Football Manager 2012 Page 2

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• LionheartDJH 15 Aug 2011 17:52:44 19,295 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Orange wrote:
    The move anywhere feature is class - being able to change your selected leagues at any time. I love to globe trot around but it meant running a slow game in the past.

Yeah same here, I usually start in the Prem but run La Liga aswell because I always dream of making a move to Real at some point. However like you say it slows the game down a bit with the extra loading and most of the time I never even get offered the job, so all that waiting time is for nothing. Being able now to just switch between leagues as you go on means I'll hopefully have quicker games and get further as a result. Great feature for those of us running older hardware who can't run loads of leagues and big DBs.

She dives for cheese pasties

• vijay_UK 15 Aug 2011 19:36:18 1,666 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Football Manager could use a little dumbing down a bit, I know there are ways to automate things but FM is just too much clicking. Far too much shit involved just to play one match, let alone a whole season.

My suggestion is to bring back (somehow) the CM2 / CM97-98 interface, just a bit more updated with new features.

I wouldn't agree with that, I mean real footie managers have a load of shit to do just to prepare for one game aswell, and I like that simulation aspect. However I can understand the complaint to an extent, maybe a more rough and ready streamlined mode should be introduced, whereby you can remove parts of the game you don't want to bother with (e.g. media interaction) so that it plays quicker and isn't as hard for newbies.

@kal, no actually, FM11 changed quite a bit in terms of interactions, transfers etc. from FM10 and like Bmovie says, you can usually nab it for £18 which is pretty good value. Yeah some years the changes are more major and you can notice more difference than ones which are more subtle upgrades, but the game is always evolving and having new features added. I for one have no issue with paying that kind of money for a title which provide me with hundreds of hours of entertainment.

It is the media interaction I absolutely hate the most, I'll get Steve Clarke to do it for me. As much a headache FM can be with the glut of features it will possess, I will buy it as usual - if only to work out how I can get rid of Christian Poulson. And deleting him by using the editor is not an option, I will be fairer than that.
  • vijay_UK 15 Aug 2011 19:40:27 1,666 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    FM should really move to an annual payable DLC model really. Itís such a cheek charging full price for what it genuinely little more than last yearís version and a 10Mb patch.

Itís considerably worse than the likes of FIFA and PES.

I actually agree with what Superman says here.
  • hiddenranbir 16 Aug 2011 16:59:15 5,744 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saying before Christmas...is that missing the normal October release then? :(

I agree about pricing. BACK IN THE DAY; Champ Manager would release seasonal update packs. Lasted over two seasons with CM2 thanks to that.
  • AaronTurner 16 Aug 2011 17:05:40 7,521 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    Orange wrote:
    The move anywhere feature is class - being able to change your selected leagues at any time. I love to globe trot around but it meant running a slow game in the past.

Yeah same here, I usually start in the Prem but run La Liga aswell because I always dream of making a move to Real at some point. However like you say it slows the game down a bit with the extra loading and most of the time I never even get offered the job, so all that waiting time is for nothing. Being able now to just switch between leagues as you go on means I'll hopefully have quicker games and get further as a result. Great feature for those of us running older hardware who can't run loads of leagues and big DBs.

Wow, two leagues? I run 10 with all of the tiers :) It's not too bad really.
  • heavy_salad 16 Aug 2011 17:06:07 674 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Last year's came out the start of November.
  • MysteryLamb 16 Aug 2011 19:59:24 524 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Several retail sites have this down as 21st Oct.

• LetsGo 16 Aug 2011 20:05:13 5,072 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think FM needs a bit of a reboot to be honest.

The last one was so buggy despite it's patches and the media was horrible.
  • MysteryLamb 26 Aug 2011 23:22:11 524 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Predictor League

Anyone doing this FM2012 marketing tie in 'extravaganza'? Simple format, predict Premier League scores and there are monthly prizes etc. It's free and doesn't start for a couple of weeks.
  • THFourteen 26 Aug 2011 23:37:06 31,799 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Football Manager could use a little dumbing down a bit, I know there are ways to automate things but FM is just too much clicking. Far too much shit involved just to play one match, let alone a whole season.

My suggestion is to bring back (somehow) the CM2 / CM97-98 interface, just a bit more updated with new features.
    Try the iOS or psp versions
  • heavy_salad 27 Aug 2011 00:02:26 674 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's strange, with other strategy games there's loads of complaints when it gets 'dumbed down' (Civ 5 for example) yet with FM it's all a lot of people seem to ask for.

Personally the more detailed it gets (and therefore the less things that are 'random' or out of my control) the better.
  • hiddenranbir 27 Aug 2011 00:52:10 5,744 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is cause a lot of the things in FM don't actually do anything -significant-. Half the training shit where I do 'match preps' like gelling the team or practising a specific aspect to counter my next opponent are for all intents and purposes useless.

The reality is, you just need to set your perfected tactic (I use classic mode), pick your team and continue on until the end of season. only having to replace injured/unfit players.

The media handling is, again, unnecessary and given the impact it has you don't lose anything at all having the assman npc do it for you. The interactions with players go the same way, negligible.

A plethora of features but they don't -do- anything.

And the trend for a management sim is to -not- give you more control. The problem is you can still 'break' the engine by fine-tuning tactics to win. All of a sudden it has nothing to do with the thrill of 'on the day' footy but you set the sliders 'just right'.

As far as I go, I stick to one set and just trust my electronic players to do the job. That's about as realistic as I can get.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2011 00:52:59
    heavy_salad wrote:
    It's strange, with other strategy games there's loads of complaints when it gets 'dumbed down' (Civ 5 for example) yet with FM it's all a lot of people seem to ask for.

Personally the more detailed it gets (and therefore the less things that are 'random' or out of my control) the better.
    Adreed.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2011 01:00:44
    The difference in Civ is that the additional features people request are things that give them more freedom and/or will have a significant impact on the end result.

There are a number of features in FM that have been added that don't really impact the end result and feel cosmetic, even if they aren't. The options for letting assistants handle them so they don't get in the way of the on the pitch elements should be made more obvious from the start.
  • heavy_salad 27 Aug 2011 01:22:36 674 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well I guess the thing I most want from the game, is instead of adding new features is to expand on those features that need work - media, training, team talks, etc, etc. Afterall how many more 'features' can they really add?

I admit at the moment there's many areas that need work, and they need refining, but the people asking for things to be simplified are surely missing the point of what the game is about?

I don't want to just pick my team and formation and click my way to victory.
  • hiddenranbir 27 Aug 2011 02:16:04 5,744 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If we want to talk about management sims that had a lot of control but made you feel something, games like:

Ultimate Manager or Prem Manager where you had an actual phone to use when calling clubs for players.
  • Zomoniac 27 Aug 2011 02:23:14 7,402 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good old Ultimate Soccer Manager. You could bet on your team to lose. That never went down well.
  • hiddenranbir 27 Aug 2011 02:58:08 5,744 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Now those are good extra features! :D
  • hiddenranbir 2 Sep 2011 19:34:21 5,744 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The best thing about FM12? I can finally use my real year of birth! 1985!
  • MadCaddy13 15 Sep 2011 17:32:25 1,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeh I reme
  • hiddenranbir 6 Oct 2011 16:52:30 5,744 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Demo is up. Already downloaded, starting NOW.

Ugh, the thing about starting new games:

Sorting out the backroom staff, training schedules etc.
  • Kosmoz 7 Oct 2011 12:49:54 7,509 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone had a go at the demo? Any good?

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• AaronTurner 7 Oct 2011 13:42:39 7,521 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just find the interface so bad these days, I haven't tried the new one though. Problems I have for instance are get to a team that you want to scout a few individuals of, you have to right click and go through a series of annoying and fiddly arrow expanding menus before being able to do it - try doing this for more than a few players and suddenly you realise how badly designed it is. Or if there is no reserve league in your country but you want to set up friendlies for the entire season so your players remain fit, it's the most annoying system ever, it takes around 30 seconds just to add one team to the fixture list!
  • hiddenranbir 7 Oct 2011 17:53:20 5,744 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished the demo. Don't like the new tactic screen, especially the pitch display. So ugly.

Bad UI. Game-wise, meh, typical FM. Team talks come with tone, too many tones, 3 could have been enough.
  • Kosmoz 7 Oct 2011 17:56:45 7,509 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like the new team talk stuff. Not sure why they changed the UI though, the player profile choice was especially odd. Not noticed many other changes yet, but the option to offer players a trial until the end of pre-season is a very good, if minor addition.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• hiddenranbir 7 Oct 2011 23:42:26 5,744 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yeah, can't be sure how the new tactical stuff works because I instantly use CLASSIC mode.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 7 Oct 2011 23:46:51 9,529 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Classic mode?
  • hiddenranbir 8 Oct 2011 00:16:05 5,744 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No 'roles', no tactical wizard, no 'philosophy', no 'shouts'.
  • Orange 8 Oct 2011 00:23:40 4,564 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm so far the changes seem to be even more minimal than usual.
  • hiddenranbir 9 Oct 2011 21:02:58 5,744 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got myself a new desk chair, the cushion on the old one flattened. This one was a bit more expensive a 'manager's chair'. Very leathery and soft and comfy. Gaming for the next few months will be gooood.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last