Football Manager 2012 Page 6

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Bmovie 3 Nov 2011 12:11:32 893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    17.99 on play today.
  • Deleted user 3 November 2011 13:10:44
    Really? Looks like 29.99 on my internet.
  • Bmovie 3 Nov 2011 14:12:26 893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well it was 17.99 earlier, cleverclogs.
  • Deleted user 3 November 2011 15:52:01
    Fair enough - that's a big price drop though. Maybe it was a mistake... shame, if I'd seen it I'd have bought it.
  • vijay_UK 3 Nov 2011 16:15:30 1,646 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I saw it earlier, it was on for 17.99 as Bmovie said. It's worth the purchase especially if you have not played it in a while.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 3 Nov 2011 16:41:07 4,603 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GI_Phil wrote:
    Is there a review for this on EG yet?
    There's no review planned at the moment due to the heavy Christmas release schedule. That may change though.

You can always follow my diary on facebook!

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• estoo 3 Nov 2011 18:36:03 2,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there a way to launch this offline like there has been in the past? Just went to boot it up and got a Steam dialog saying "This game is not available at this time"

Like fuck it isn't, it's sitting on my PC and I've validated it through Steam every time I've loaded it up. Can't find an .exe anywhere though.

Pirates don't have this problem I guess?

I'm really fucking pissed off at this.
  • AaronTurner 3 Nov 2011 19:52:11 7,521 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I haven' been able to use offline mode either, it keeps trying to install something if I go offline.
  • kentmonkey 3 Nov 2011 19:58:39 20,067 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not actually FM2012 but as I only play FM when I'm offline (and not able to connect online)...is there a custom made database that will update FM 2010 to this summer's transfer activity?

I've got no choice but to go back to that, but I'm not happy with playing with 2010 data (or January 2010 data). Even if Arsenal were better then.
  • totalphaseout 8 Nov 2011 08:52:39 3 posts
    Registered 2 years ago
    hello guys

1. FM 2012 players are not usual gamers, most of them only play FM

2. They do not know steam and its complexity. They do not want to bother and manage the additional complexity (ask your dad to use steam you will see)

3. They are going to be very frustrated by the choice of SI to impose steam

4. the 'fight piracy' is a wrong excuse (you can already find free of charge modified versions that solves all technical issues related tio steam usage :().

and now we see copies of FM 2012 (downloadable from anywhere) below 30 USD

where lower eurozone price today is 40 (the double of price compared to dollar price !)

I think SI do not really master how fast the power os social networks can destroy a long standing reputation (FM has an established reputation)

to a marketing stand point:
    due to these SI choices Many FM Fans are going to be incitated to find an illegal copy of this game. they are already preparing update of the datagase to play FM 2011 with 2012 players value

I would be VERY interested to see sales volumes, but if we can already find (two weeks after release) downloadable versions of this game for 30 bucks on amazon.com, i think we all know the answer.

Big marketing mistake, indeed.
  • Deleted user 8 November 2011 08:57:10
    To play the game offline, restart steam in offline mode and keep it that way when you want to play the game.
  • faux_carnation 8 Nov 2011 09:27:03 8,473 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If someone is too cackhanded to use Steam, I generally doubt they would have the ability to find, download and run a cracked pirate version, no?
  • faux_carnation 8 Nov 2011 09:29:25 8,473 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @totalphaseout - You registered just to post that? How many forums are you spamming?
  • Bmovie 8 Nov 2011 09:34:35 893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If someone is is too cackhanded to use steam I struggle to see how they cope with what is now a very complex management sim.

Edited by Bmovie at 09:34:41 08-11-2011
  • AaronTurner 8 Nov 2011 09:38:08 7,521 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I prefer that it's on Steam, keeps all my games in one handy place.
  • AaronTurner 8 Nov 2011 09:38:08 7,521 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • vijay_UK 8 Nov 2011 10:23:10 1,646 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Had a go at Wycombe Wanderers but struggled with them after a while; too many games come along and the first team squad isn't big enough to cope. I usually pull players from the reserve squad to help pad out the first team, but they usually are crappy so my results started to drop. Any tips on how I can keep first team players fresh (like 92% condition and upwards) so they can handle a game every 3-4 days? And if a key first teamer is injured, it means I'm buggered for a while so it's hard.

I've dopped Wycombe and taken up Crystal Palace and have started better with them (beat Wolves 2-0 in a pre-season), and now I sit 2nd after 4 games in the league. But I kicked myself out of the League Cup so I could concentrate more on the league with so many matches coming up. Had 0 in the transfer kitty but got a 500k windfall from Stoke, as an ex-player played his first international. I thought at first: great. I bet none of it goes into my transfer kitty. But was pleasantly surprised to see 480k go into the pot (woot) and went out and bought a talented full back from Motherwell, who got a 6.3 rating in his first match. Clearly, money well spent there (blame my scout, Mr Chairman!).

Once I'm done with The Eagles, I'd like to take on Dortmund. German footy is a little under-rated imo, not everything should be about City, United, Barca and Real :0

Glad I could automate all the bull and give the assistant some things to do; even then FM takes up a lot of time. Good game so far.

Edited by vijay_UK at 10:24:10 08-11-2011
  • AaronTurner 8 Nov 2011 10:38:52 7,521 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Taking on a lower league club is an exercise in patience and pain. I fairly quickly replace most of the team aside from the few players I feel can do a job. Normally there are one or two players on massive wages in comparison to everyone else and it's worth either trying to get them to sign a contract on reduced wages or sell them on. Then it's all about scouring the free transfer market. I tend to first look at European national teams u21 and u19 squads and find players that aren't under contract. Next I take a look at leagues with a similar reputation as the one I'm in and look at their released players list, it's a lot of clicking but in the end the work pays off. Basically I rarely find players through the player search, it doesn't seem to display everyone for some reason or another so I find it's better to hunt them out. With free transfers you can sign them up after the window shuts don't forget, you'll find that a few higher rep players will sign for your club after the window has shut and they start worrying about not getting club for the season.
  • AaronTurner 8 Nov 2011 10:41:03 7,521 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm fairly meticulous though and understand that not everyone enjoys doing that stuff, for me though it's the best part of the game. I always ensure I have large database and loads of leagues on the go so that there are loads of players to search through.
  • White_Shadow 8 Nov 2011 11:09:11 2,534 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The reason not all players show up in player search is (I think) because the search is in some way based on your scouting knowledge, so naturally a lower league club will display fewer players.

With lower league clubs it is definitely worth it to scour obscure u21 and u19 national teams and clubs. If it's an EU country (or you're lucky enough to get a work permit) good, young players from obscure countrys are generally available for next to nothing and have low wage demands. They can then either become an integral part of your side, or be sold on after a year or two for a massive profit.

It's also worth checking the domestic sides of countries with good national teams but few domestic teams that appear or have 'real' players (ie not blacked out). As an example, in one of my older games which was quite far into the future, the Ivory Coast national team was entirely made up of youth products from the only two Ivorian domestic sides which generated real players, most of which were initially bought for sub-100k. I'm sure there must be some formula in the game which ensures that each decent nation produces x number of good regens every season, so if you know where to look you can guarantee yourself some bargains.
  • estoo 8 Nov 2011 12:13:17 2,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My tip for lower league management is to look for physical players with only a sprinkling of skill.
    My midfield will have plenty stamina and workrate and I will have tall strong defenders and strikers. Playing an ugly long ball game usually does the trick.

Also, there is no point in nurturing youth at lower league level IMO, journeymen seem to be the way to go.
    I took Stafford Rangers from the depths of hell up to the Premiership in the 2010 version, I don't want to get sucked into that rabbit hole again, but it was really satisfying getting success with a squad of free transfers and loan signings. Didn't have a penny to spend until I reached league 1. Loan signings were probably the most important thing for me at that stage as they were usually a lot better than the rest of my squad.

Oh, one more thing... an easy way to greatly expand your scouting knowledage is to hire staff of many different nationalities. A Brazilian physio will add all his knowledge to your scouting pool!
    I hire staff based on nationality more than their capabilities most of the time. Heh, I feel a tribunal looming.
  • vijay_UK 8 Nov 2011 13:20:28 1,646 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks all, spent a bit of time reading everything written (twice!) - good tips there.

I will give Wycombe another go, for some reason I'm addicted to that club. It can be hard getting rid of players and buying new ones, not as easy as was in say Premier Manager 3 or CM2. Those were the good old days when you could re-vamp your squad in half an hour.

But I will certainly go deeper into my scouting, although with Wycombe I did fancy a mostly British squad of players. There is a less room to maneuver when bringing in players with the weekly wage structure shown, but I'll have to be creative a bit.

Thx all.
  • estoo 8 Nov 2011 16:34:07 2,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good choice with Wycombe! They have been my English team since Champ Man 93... ah the days of Steve Guppy and Jason Cousins!
  • totalphaseout 8 Nov 2011 20:45:51 3 posts
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bmovie - additional complexity between FM 2010 and FM 2012 is manageable.

Complexity between no Stean and intensive and not bypassable Steam is questionnable.

That's my opinion. could be wrong

opinion is widely spread. look at official first reaction (post has been closed after 12 days, 1 month before game realease)
    http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/274801-A-Message-On-Football-Manager-2012-Activation

and the official FAQ of technical issue is already impressive, not talking about Steam forums of lost customers (showing that first comments were completly true)
    http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279162-Football-Manager-2012-*OFFICIAL*-FAQ?s=577a43e1443bbc8ae21ad44d7caae3de

added value between an updated DB with FM 2010 and the new FM 2012, compared to its drawback...

It reminds me the way coca cola tried to change the real coca cola taste in the US, based on blind test of 'chosen' customers. The book made around this incredible marketing mistake is a best seller (for those intersted : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke)

Edited by totalphaseout at 22:14:09 08-11-2011
  • totalphaseout 8 Nov 2011 20:48:25 3 posts
    Registered 2 years ago
    @faux_carnation - for sure such comment can be added to thousands. may i kindly ask you to comment on the arguments ?

may be it is not your purpose.

Fine for me.
  • vijay_UK 8 Nov 2011 22:39:05 1,646 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    estoo wrote:
    Good choice with Wycombe! They have been my English team since Champ Man 93... ah the days of Steve Guppy and Jason Cousins!
    You star!

For me, my personal hero would be Sergio Torres, always played him behind 2 strikers. Assists galore! And lovely hair to boot.

Once I've been sacked by Palace, I'll give Wycombe Wanderers another bash - nice to see a fellow EG'er taking on the might of WW :D
  • lucky_jim 17 Dec 2011 16:46:00 5,160 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure this is an absolutely idiotic question, but I can't for the life of me work out how to stop players mentoring each other. I've got one of my old hands mentoring a youngster, but the arrangement isn't working out and it's affecting both their morale: but I can't work out how to end it! Help, somebody?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 17 Dec 2011 20:05:50 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kadlec is good but the cunt won't sign for West Ham..
  • Deleted user 17 December 2011 20:24:05
    lucky_jim wrote:
    I'm sure this is an absolutely idiotic question, but I can't for the life of me work out how to stop players mentoring each other. I've got one of my old hands mentoring a youngster, but the arrangement isn't working out and it's affecting both their morale: but I can't work out how to end it! Help, somebody?
    Don't you have a discussion with the mentor? I think it's right click then interact.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 17 Dec 2011 20:42:21 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I didn't even know this feature existed. This program is so fucking complicated it blows my mind.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last