Bizarre 360 HDMI and TV problem.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • shisutemu 7 Aug 2011 03:54:08 4 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've posted this in another forum, but I'm really running out of options and I really need some help..

I've got a really bizarre problem with my HDMI and LCD TV, and Its really driving me really mad trying to figure out what's wrong. I've exhausted so many options, this is my last try at trying to figure this problem out.

Okay, so recently I had a new LG HDTV outside at the living room, so I figured I wanna test out my Xbox 360 on it with my usual set of HDMI cable. So I pulled out the HDMI cable and xbox from the TV in my own room and bought it out in the living room to test out the new TV.

Now here's the weird part. The xbox and the HDMI worked perfect in the new TV, but when I went back to my old TV plugging in the HDMI cable like usual, the xbox screen DOES NOT appear. It was strange as this has not happened before. I've tried resetting my display settings with the (Y + RT) and even blindly navigating to the display setting, nothing works, the screen remained blue and does not boot up the xbox.

Now, now before anyone says that MY HDMI cable is faulty, I prove you that it is not, I've tested it using my PS3 and it works perfectly, I even used the same HDMI port that was previously used by the xbox to test out whether it was the port causing the problem, but apparently all the HDMI ports/cable work fine with the PS3.

To test it even further I even used spare HDMI cables (I had 2) and it works on my PS3 but not on my xbox. This is really strange because the HDMI cable for my xbox WORKS ON THE NEW TV in my living room but it DOES NOT WORK when I plug in my old tv.

I tried using the standard AV cable for the xbox in my room, and guess what? It works. Concluding that the xbox is not faulty, but for some odd reason the tv does not detect the hdmi for my xbox.

And before anyone suggest component cables, I wouldn't mind but my TV does not have component support, and I rather not go back to playing at AV cable settings when I have a perfectly working HDMI cable.

so if tldr;

-HDMI cable for xbox360 suddenly stopped working in old TV after using it in the new tv
    - My room TV model is Panasonic Viera 32LE8M, and the living room tv is LG 42LK45, if it matters.
    -HDMI cables are not faulty, all works and the HDMI ports TV in my room are also working fine (tested all with my PS3)
    -tried blindly navigating dashboard to adjust display settings, nothing works. Resetted my console settings so many times til I felt like strangling someone, just so you know.

anymore suggestions would be a tremendous help, i'm running out of options.

I still can't believe just bringing my xbox outside to test out the new TV caused such a major issue here. Please help anyone, thanks so much.
  • PenguinJim 7 Aug 2011 05:17:48 5,824 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It sounds like your HDMI port on your 360 has gone a bit wonky (which I've heard of before). Focus your attention there. Try blowing in it to remove dust, gently wiggling the cable inside it, caressing it gently and whispering sweet nothings to it.

Licking works on my phone connector, but I've not tried that on HDMI before.
  • shisutemu 7 Aug 2011 06:36:01 4 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I dont think so, the thing is my xbox+hdmi works perfectly when I played it on the new tv, but it doesnt work when I tried to play it on my old tv (which is in my room) it just shows a static blue screen (though im still able to open my tray). This is weird cause I just went out for half and hour to play on the new TV and when I come back to my room to put it back the xbox doesnt boot up the dashboard screen.

But I KNOW the xbox is still working, it works perfectly fine when its outside, but it doesnt work when its inside my room.

Im just trying to figure out what the cause of this is.

(and yes alot of people have told me to check the HDMI and HDMI ports, it is working fine, I tested it all with my PS3 and my hdmi cables are not faulty (i had 3 to test with) my ports are working when I tested out my ps3 too.)
  • Beetroot_Bertie 7 Aug 2011 11:13:37 292 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds right frustrating.

I know this sounds daft and I don't mean to patronise, but is the Viera set to the HDMI input and not defaulted to perhaps an unused External port, hence the blue screen? It seems obvious but from what you've posted the other possible faults seem to have been ruled out.

Are both TV's 1080p compatible? Could trying it on the new TV have changed the settings to some that are incompatible with the Viera? Maybe popping back on the LG and changing the display settings to something lower like 720p before trying again might work (not holding my breath).

If nothing else works and the TV has a VGA port then the VGA cable will offer a pretty good picture that's better than the standard AV option. Not ideal but better than nothing.
  • iter 7 Aug 2011 11:14:06 115 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK, this could be utter nonsense, but since nothing else is working for you:

Is it possible that the newer TV has negotiated a 1080p signal with the xbox, then your old TV cannot support this signal (it's a 1366 x 768 panel) and is also not auto-renegotiating with the xbox. So, you could try hooking it up to the LG, manually configuring to 720p and then try it on the Panasonic. You would have thought that resetting video should have done the trick, but it is one more thing to test.

EDIT: heh, Bertie beat me to it. :)
  • Beetroot_Bertie 7 Aug 2011 11:20:39 292 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    By seconds :)

Hope it works out for him but then reread the post and noticed that he'd reset the display settings :(

Still gotta be worth a punt.
  • Vice.Destroyer 7 Aug 2011 11:25:29 5,826 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Something else to do is perhaps tweet this page to @xboxsupport? Those guys are supposed to be absolute demons. As a matter of fact, I'll do that now. You never know. They might answer. As long as they don't look into any, ANY of the other threads on here, we should be okay.
  • shisutemu 7 Aug 2011 13:21:47 4 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for the replies everyone, some of these are really things to keep note of.

As for Beetroot_Bertie, its okay :) It's set to the HDMI input, all the settings for the TV in my room are also unaltered when I tested it. It should work normally, but for some reason it does not read my xbox..some people are saying its a handshake issue. And yes I did went back to my New LG and adjusted it to lower resolution (tested with every single option bringing it back and forth my room and living room, still no dice)

Yeah a VGA might be a good idea. I might get it if nothing else helps :(

I even tried enabling/disabling the display discovery and navigating invisibly through the dashboard. Tough and still doesn't work...

Its still weird though, cause i used the exact same HDMI on my PS3 and plug it in the old tv port i previously used for my XBOX and it works, however my xbox does not respond the same way as my PS3 :( (confusingly, the xbox responds for the new TV but not the old one)

Thank you so much for the help guys, you have been very kind and helpful. :) I'm gonna try a few more tests before i completely give up on my HDMI...

• Beetroot_Bertie 7 Aug 2011 13:30:06 292 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmm. Tricksy.

Can you factory reset the Viera? Or maybe borrow a friend's 360 to see if the issue occurs with that too.
  • masc.box 7 Aug 2011 13:46:44 92 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try plugging in your console via AV cable on the TV that doesn't work, go into display settings and change the frequency from 60Hz to 50Hz of vice versa depending on what it is currently set on. Then turn off, plug in HDMI cable and see if that works.

• mal 7 Aug 2011 13:47:28 22,448 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seems like more of a 360 issue than a TV issue to me. Might be worth hooking it up over composite temporarily (a) so you don't have to navigate the menus blind and (b) to force the box to switch to analogue output, which might reset the digital. That's assuming you can still find those cables.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mal 7 Aug 2011 13:48:20 22,448 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Edit: or what masc.box said

• Sid-Nice 7 Aug 2011 15:23:39 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Panasonic TV is 720p and the LG TV is 1080p. Try connecting your Xbox to the LG TV and change the settings to 720P save the settings. Switch off the console and connect it to your Panasonic TV and see if that works.

NNID Sid-Nice

• mal 7 Aug 2011 15:52:05 22,448 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    shisutemu wrote:
    And yes I did went back to my New LG and adjusted it to lower resolution (tested with every single option bringing it back and forth my room and living room, still no dice)

• Vice.Destroyer 7 Aug 2011 20:07:47 5,826 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @shisutemu
    The tweeters at Xbox support are awake and at work. Someone sent me a tweet asking whether you have tried a different AV cable. I don't know whether you have done this or not, but give them a try, if you have a twitter account. They are quite awesome. Tweet them at @xboxsupport. Link them to this article and I'm sure they'll help you out.
  • shisutemu 7 Aug 2011 21:31:06 4 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks Vice, I'll do that I'm gonna try this one last thing before I completely stop trying to figure this out.

As usual, thanks for your help everyone!
  • Dizzy 7 Aug 2011 21:32:03 2,643 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is a tv issue. Your tv has blacklisted your hdmi xbox connection. This is a well known hdmi issue and one of the joys of piracy protection. Contact tv support.
  • lenny6582 7 Dec 2011 15:28:53 1 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well I have the same problem with BOTH my LG TV's. Everything was working fine on my LG 50PK350 in the lounge with HDMI. I then bought an LG 32LE4900 tv in March for my bedroom, the 360 has never worked on this TV via HDMI but through component it does. The TV detects the HDMI connection but never shows anything; the same with my PS3. I dropped the PS3 to 720p and it started working but the same didn't work with my 360. I messaged LG to see if there was an update for the PC as its all net enabled etc and their reply was "sorry we don't know!!!!"

Then last night when I had the 360 hooked to my PK350 I thought I would change the predefined "settings" option from Expert1 to Gaming mode and pop! Tv kept saying no signal and even setting it back the TV won't show a thing. Have now had to switch that one back to component which is a pain.

I have tried numerous HDMI cables on the 32" that worked when the 360 was hooked to the 50PK350 so I know its not the cable. The 360 still works in my monitor with HDMI and my 24" Technika TV from Tesco. It did stop working when I changed the picture settings on the PK350 so it points to an LG issue!!

Doesn't help anyone but confirms the issue is with the LG tv's
  • kinky_mong 7 Dec 2011 17:42:52 10,122 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have a similar problem with my 250GB slim Xbox and my Samsung TV. If I try to connect them with an HDMI cable my TV shows a "Mode Not Supported" error.

I've tried two different HDMI cables and get the same error, and I've confirmed that the cables are fine because they both work with the PS3. I've tried changing the display options of the Xbox which didn't make any difference, so I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to stick to a component connection for the Xbox.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Vice.Destroyer 7 Dec 2011 17:48:47 5,826 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I now have virtually got the same issue with my PS3. Can someone explain how a TV can dare to blacklist a HDMI connection from a console?
  • Red_Bool 7 Dec 2011 18:32:22 1,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have you tried unplugging the TV for ~30 seconds? My TV sometimes acts funny on the xbox hdmi (coloured noise) - unplugging the tv sorts this out (power button on flatscreens never really switch off the power)
  • gwaterman18 5 Apr 2012 18:07:45 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    i found out how to fix it. i was having the same problem. what i did was turn the xbox on and opened the slot for your hardrive and took out the hard drive. and the screen came on =D now put back in the hard drive. and it will do its own little rebooting and your xbox will be back to new@shisutemu
  • Matt36 8 Apr 2012 14:21:41 1,353 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can beat the problem, my Elite is connected to my TV via HDMi and works great - But only when its stood up! I can't lay it down or it wont show on my TV! I stand it up, works perfect. Lay down, no picture!
  • zoglet 16 Aug 2012 10:11:19 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hey Shisutemu. Saw your post, probably a bit late but felt I should offer my condolences as I feel your pain. For what it's worth I've experienced similar wierdnesses myself. I can't offer any solid advice but I can describe my experience which may add some useful pointers and save you wasting time and money on goose chases. I don't think it's a TV 'copy protection' (which may exist), I think it is cable or handshake/config related. And as a consequence I would tend to agree with the guys suggesting to try and reset the box or connect using different lowest common denominator modes on a functional TV and switching to the troublesome one.

I have two Samsung LCD TVs, a 42 and a 28 and seen similar oddness before with my older xbox. I just recently bought a slim xbox in the UK and used in UK and Germany fine on a knackered old CRT and a small sony LCD but on my way back home to New Zealand (long story) I stayed with a mate in London UK and it wouldn't work on his brand new fancy Panasonic. I've previously found problems with some hdmi cables not working with some kit but not others but as the signal is digital I still can't see a good reason why.

Here's the latest big weirdness:

When I came to NZ I stayed with a mate down the road and we had my xbox connected to his 40 inch Samsung Plasma TV for around a month with no issues, although again, it didn't seem to like one of his hdmi cables. I moved out about a month ago and have since been using it on my own 3 year old UK 28 Samsung LCD TV with no issues or reconfiguration, although it's probably a slightly newer TV. I went over to his place today for a gaming session and we couldn't get it working with any of his four hdmi cables but when I came home it worked straight off connected back to mine. Both TVs are HD compatible, and I think max on 720p.

In the next few days I will pop over with my TV and MY hdmi cable and see if we can figure out why it's not working on his TV now, when it was before. I changed nothing in the settings when I moved from using his TV to using mine. I'm also pretty sure I was using his HDMI cable before that is now not working.

That's why I can only assume that in connecting the box to mine, the display output hardware of the xbox has somehow clicked over to a different mode and perhaps the older TV does not recognise this display mode and can't send a signal saying 'switch over/down'.

The other thing that's odd is that the xbox seems to know when it's connected to a valid source and when it's not. My little TV has only one HDMI port and I share it between the xbox and a media player. If I forget to connect the hdmi port over to the xbox it doesn't actually fully boot up to the main menu until it is connected.

Today, even though I couldn't see a picture on the 'old' plasma TV (it worked before, remember?) you can see it start up and assign the controller to quadrant one etc. You can even switch it off by holding the centre button down for 5 seconds and pushing the crosshair up twice and selecting 'A', so clearly the xbox thinks everything's ok and is functioning, which if it thought it wasn't connected, I don't think it would be doing.

Anyway, I'll repost my findings as and when I go back to my mates and see what we figure out.

In the meantime save your money as even though it could be a cable thing, it definitely doesn't need to be a fancy one. The ones that never fail for me are always the cheapest.
  • BinaryBob101 16 Aug 2012 10:39:39 22,635 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good post. I'm sure he'll be having the same problems over a year later.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• GamesConnoisseur 24 Sep 2012 16:16:47 419 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    X360, HDMI and HDTV throws up all sort of weird problems.

I got my X360 connected to Sony 42" HDTV via HDMI for years, then last month had to move around the basement office/game room stuff for minor re-decoration, then put everything back.

Only now when I switches my TV to TV or other AV, my X360 switches itself off, including when putting X360 on pause and put TV on standby. Same problem.

Frustrating as cant dare put TV over to PS3, PC or whatever away from X360 and tried everything, changing back settings switches off HDMI control on TV and so on. I got no other AV or audio leads to TV other than single damned HDMI. Switches to different HDMI no joy.

Why now? Why resets X360?

Changing resolution, changing display discovery, changing all kind of settings on Sony Bravia TV. No result but same problems!

I ll keep looking for solutions, and will report back if find anything that works other than getting new TV or X360!
  • AcidSnake 24 Sep 2012 16:21:26 7,238 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When switching to other sources do you use the remote or does it do the same when you use the buttons on the screen itself (if it has buttons)?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Andee 24 Sep 2012 16:53:38 681 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GamesConnoisseur wrote:
    X360, HDMI and HDTV throws up all sort of weird problems.

I got my X360 connected to Sony 42" HDTV via HDMI for years, then last month had to move around the basement office/game room stuff for minor re-decoration, then put everything back.

Only now when I switches my TV to TV or other AV, my X360 switches itself off, including when putting X360 on pause and put TV on standby. Same problem.

Frustrating as cant dare put TV over to PS3, PC or whatever away from X360 and tried everything, changing back settings switches off HDMI control on TV and so on. I got no other AV or audio leads to TV other than single damned HDMI. Switches to different HDMI no joy.

Why now? Why resets X360?

Changing resolution, changing display discovery, changing all kind of settings on Sony Bravia TV. No result but same problems!

I ll keep looking for solutions, and will report back if find anything that works other than getting new TV or X360!
    Tried the HDMI CEC/control settings? Certainly sounds like that, although not sure if you'd need to disable it on the tv or 360, or both.
  • alasdairm 24 Sep 2012 19:21:02 154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think hidden away in one of the video options on the 360 is an auto detect feature for hdmi - might be worth switching it on and off

When i looked at it it did something with the audio over hdmi, so might be worth a look there
  • GamesConnoisseur 24 Sep 2012 20:35:40 419 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks, X360 switches off even when I used manual power off button instead of remote so not that. I did try disable Bravia Link but couldn't find it and instead just switch the HDMI control to off or on, auto standby, auto start, all kind of settings made no difference!

I m leaning to X360 itself, may be worth trying factory reset (hard drive/memory card removed etc) I also will try my son's X360 with my TV to see if its indeed just my Black Elite X360. I would try Component but its only got HDMI output and not the old Core multi outputs options.

Mmm, if my son's X360 works perfectly then I ll just permanently swop my Elite to his standard X360 and rejigs our respective HDDs onto the others X360.

Will try above steps tomorrow and report back what happened.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous