I'm glad I am internet savvy

  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
  • Vice.Destroyer 3 Aug 2011 20:16:13 5,942 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Far be it from me to diss someones ingenuity, but is 400+ not a lot of money for essentially a HD-enabled CD player, with an offline Gracenote database?

    Is there something comparable for a lot cheaper? I think my mum could cope with something like that. Any suggestions?
  • Tom_Servo 3 Aug 2011 20:19:51 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've seen the advert for that, talk about a snake oil salesman. Can't believe it's that expensive!
  • Jazzy_Geoff 3 Aug 2011 20:20:00 7,782 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    squeezebox radio +5 napster sub
  • Dirtbox 3 Aug 2011 20:20:48 79,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What the hell is HD enabledable about a CD player?

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Tom_Servo 3 Aug 2011 20:23:25 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hard drive.
  • lucky_jim 3 Aug 2011 20:28:17 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I keep seeing it advertised in Private Eye, I feel sorry for the people who get suckered in.
  • mal 3 Aug 2011 20:33:32 22,830 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not that expensive when you consider it contains a CD drive, a computer to rip tracks, a hard disc and a 30Wx2 power amp in a pretty small box. But of course and iPod and a cheap dock system will be cheaper if you already own a PC and are happy using iTunes to rip your CDs. This presumably attracts a slight premium because it's designed for people who aren't computer literate enough to do that. They advertise in every issue of Private Eye, which should tell you something about their target market.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • Dirtbox 3 Aug 2011 20:35:55 79,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Hard drive.
    That's HDD.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Trowel 3 Aug 2011 20:37:21 18,054 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Probably bought to replace their Bose Wave.
  • Tom_Servo 3 Aug 2011 20:37:38 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Hard drive.
    That's HDD.

    I know, but I'm assuming that's what VD (arf) meant.
  • PhoenixFlames 3 Aug 2011 20:44:18 9,229 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    mal wrote:
    It's not that expensive when you consider it contains a CD drive, a computer to rip tracks, a hard disc and a 30Wx2 power amp in a pretty small box. But of course and iPod and a cheap dock system will be cheaper if you already own a PC and are happy using iTunes to rip your CDs. This presumably attracts a slight premium because it's designed for people who aren't computer literate enough to do that. They advertise in every issue of Private Eye, which should tell you something about their target market.

    It's the ripping of all his mothers CD's that would be the ball breaker, if you've got the patience. I suppose it depends how large her CD collection is, it took me a good while to rip all mine, ripping my DVD collection is a massive pain in the arse, it takes about half an hour a film, I have roughly 500 DVD's :(

    I thought about doing this but then I realised I don't watch my DVDs more than 3 times so what's the point.

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • mal 3 Aug 2011 20:48:19 22,830 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And anyway, AFAIK this doesn't play DVDs - only CDs.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • UncleLou Moderator 3 Aug 2011 20:51:06 35,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No idea how good the thing is, but compared to the competition (Ripnas, Olive, Naim (lol)) it's actually dead cheap. It really is a terrible market, with traditional hifi companies charging particular ridiculous amounts of money.

    Cheapest option I could find a while ago was a Squeezebox Touch with an external HDD, but you need a PC to rip, of course.

  • Ford 3 Aug 2011 21:07:55 398 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just put most of my DVDs in a big 400 disc wallet and downloaded my favourites off usenet. Chucked all the boxes away, worthless plastic.
  • Carlo 3 Aug 2011 21:16:07 18,218 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    mal wrote:
    It's not that expensive when you consider it contains a CD drive, a computer to rip tracks, a hard disc and a 30Wx2 power amp in a pretty small box. But of course and iPod and a cheap dock system will be cheaper if you already own a PC and are happy using iTunes to rip your CDs. This presumably attracts a slight premium because it's designed for people who aren't computer literate enough to do that. They advertise in every issue of Private Eye, which should tell you something about their target market.

    It's the ripping of all his mothers CD's that would be the ball breaker, if you've got the patience. I suppose it depends how large her CD collection is, it took me a good while to rip all mine, ripping my DVD collection is a massive pain in the arse, it takes about half an hour a film, I have roughly 500 DVD's :(
    I wouldn't even bother ripping my own DVDs, just download it.

    PSN ID: Djini

  • neilka 3 Aug 2011 21:27:17 16,527 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kick Brennan Up The Arse

    BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

  • Vice.Destroyer 30 Aug 2011 16:58:10 5,942 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Hard drive.
    That's HDD.

    I know, but I'm assuming that's what VD (arf) meant.

    Apologies for the typo.

    /puts himself down for the 400 HD-enabled CD-drive and hands in his geek membership. Appropriate punishment.
  • Dolly 30 Aug 2011 17:23:24 3,256 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We bought my gf's parents a PS3 and they've put all their CDs on that.

    They love it.
  • Vice.Destroyer 30 Aug 2011 17:36:25 5,942 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good shout, Dolly. I guess it is not such a hardship to visit the inlays now. And still cheaper than a Brennan.
  • Whatsfor 30 Aug 2011 21:14:17 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Everything in this thread so far < sonos.
  • Kill_Crazy 30 Aug 2011 23:19:15 2,372 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Billy_Sastard wrote:

    I'm doing it because they're taking up to much room, plus it's a headache trying to find a certain film when you've got that many, they don't stay in alphabetical order long when you've got two kids. I'd like to flog em or just stash em in the loft.

    Sorry for the derailment.

    Which program do you use to rip dvd's, Billy? What size do they encode to for decent quality?
  • President_Weasel 30 Aug 2011 23:23:31 9,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You know what, Vice.Destroyer? I'm glad you're internet savvy too.
  • chopsen 14 Sep 2011 08:29:28 16,290 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree with mal.

    Thing is, it's a one-box single-device solution that doesn't look like arse and is presumably easy to use. For many people that fits the bill perfectly. Nerds who have technology that can be combined to do this sort of job lying around are not the target audience.

    Whatsfor wrote:
    Everything in this thread so far < sonos.

    Aye, though you still need a PC somewhere for sonos at least initially.
  • RedSparrows 14 Sep 2011 08:37:53 24,204 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shame vd's savyness doesn't stretch to Japanese RPGs...
  • speedofthepuma 14 Sep 2011 09:04:24 13,320 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    or giant gorillas.

    I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
Log in or register to reply