Power-ups / gameplay mechanics that don't make sense

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • TheTrueSpin 27 Jul 2011 07:47:52 37 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was hunting through the normal nonsense on n4g.com when I came across this article about video game health items that don't make sense.

It's something that I have thought about quite a lot in the past and I have always wondered whether developers could come up with better solutions. It's a bit like in RE4 when you have that salesman that is everywhere and can seemingly navigate this hostile environment with no difficulty. That really ruined the game for me as it made absolutely no sense. Same with the storage chests in RE that you can access from any other chest... it makes no sense, especially in the context of a serious survival horror game.

Anyone else get annoyed by this, or do you just accept these mechanics?
  • RedSparrows 27 Jul 2011 08:00:22 22,213 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I accept them, usually because the game world makes no sense anyway.
  • Ged42 27 Jul 2011 08:36:40 7,713 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    /eats shrooms

/doubles in size

What do you mean it doesn't make sense?
  • Deleted user 27 July 2011 08:38:03
    It's a game, I let things like that slide.
  • mrpon 27 Jul 2011 08:40:57 28,692 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pickups that require you to press a button, just pick it up already!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Ultrasoundwave 27 Jul 2011 08:45:40 3,276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FIFA 11 - Robbie Savage catching up with Theo Walcott

Modern Warfare 2 - Having to shoot someone 10+ times before they feel a thing

Bulletstorm - Recovering from being drunk in 60 seconds (without a hangover)

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• King_Edward 27 Jul 2011 08:47:47 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blindfire in cover shooters. It's not blind is it, I can see just as well as if I were aiming.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2011 08:52:26
    Games never make "sense", i mean how come in resi evil when i come to a locked door i have to search a key when i have a bloody great rocket launcher?? Oh, and resident evil isnt a "serious survival horror"
  • Deleted user 27 July 2011 08:56:33
    TheTrueSpin wrote:

Anyone else get annoyed by this, or do you just accept these mechanics?
    Yes, because they are games you weirdo, I'm already playing Real Life and it's pretty boring.
  • TheTrueSpin 27 Jul 2011 09:09:39 37 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    djronz wrote:
    Games never make "sense", i mean how come in resi evil when i come to a locked door i have to search a key when i have a bloody great rocket launcher?? Oh, and resident evil isnt a "serious survival horror"

I think RE took itself quite seriously. It certainly wasn't meant to be a comedy.

Yes, I accept games can't always be realistic, and we are meant to "suspend disbelief" as we do with films, but if developers want us to properly engage with the story, the game mechanics have to make sense, at least within the context of the game. Don't get me wrong, a lot of games wouldn't if the devs stuck firmly to reality, but sometimes I think developers are just a bit lazy and think... what the hell, it's just a game.
  • Gambit1977 27 Jul 2011 09:11:01 9,583 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nicely folded outfits that upgrade your armour :D
  • Gambit1977 27 Jul 2011 09:11:40 9,583 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Nicely folded outfits that upgrade your armour :D
    Thing is, it's a mechanic. They're games. Remove the unrealistic and they're sims. It's about fun.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2011 09:18:58
    Why did you quote yourself debating your own point?
  • mrpon 27 Jul 2011 09:20:15 28,692 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Pickups that require you to press a button, just pick it up already!
    Thing is, it's a mechanic. They're games. Remove the unrealistic and they're sims. It's about fun.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Metalfish 27 Jul 2011 09:20:32 8,818 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Er, a trader who follows you around ruins the game with its lack of realism? In a game where there are cultish tentacle waving infested alien zombie things? Where massive disembodied button prompts flash up in times of danger? Where a WWII pistol is a good choice of weapon over modern equivalents?

You're weird.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2011 09:33:13
    In Link to the Past you can go storming into a villagers house and start smashing all their pots looking for rupees while they sit idly by - I always thought that was a bit strange.

• Dolly 27 Jul 2011 09:37:13 3,221 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Link can also fly if he picks up a chicken in Ocarina.

/wishes real life was more like games.
  • roz123 27 Jul 2011 09:37:58 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Half Life 2. gordon wakes up from a 20 year slumber (or something) and he dosn't even stop to have a biscuit, cup of tea or a poo let alone a proper dinner. He then embarks on a long and dangerous journey. What a kook.
  • Dolly 27 Jul 2011 09:41:08 3,221 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In Shenmue, Ryo goes around the roughest part of town at night, asking for sailors and doesn't get set on by chavs.
  • AcidSnake 27 Jul 2011 09:41:12 7,233 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The REmake on gamecube/wii unlocked the true survival mode at the end of the game...It made the inventory chests stop teleporting their contents...Try playing that and you'll realise that there's a good reason those chests teleport stuff...

Also, yeah, they're games...One that has come close to escaping it was Assassin's Creed simply because you're actually playing a VR game in the game as well...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Gambit1977 27 Jul 2011 09:44:09 9,583 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's a character in street fighter 2, that everyone is shocked about because he's green...never mind the fact he's ginger too!
  • Ford 27 Jul 2011 09:48:08 398 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The real problem here is games pretending to be realistic that include this kind of thing.

They need to stop trying so hard to make games realistic and just make them uncompromising fun instead. Nods to realism at one point and silliness at others is fucking dumb.
  • Ged42 27 Jul 2011 09:48:13 7,713 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    There's a character in street fighter 2, that everyone is shocked about because he's green...never mind the fact he's ginger too!

I think they're shocked because he just electrocuted them, not because he's green.
  • Gambit1977 27 Jul 2011 09:49:23 9,583 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ged42 wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    I think they're shocked because he just electrocuted them, not because he's green.
    \o/
    Dons orange wig and crouches making sizzling noises.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2011 09:50:37
    The Getaway was hilarious. Shot to shit? No probs chief just lean against this wall for a few seconds and you'll be mustard.
  • Gambit1977 27 Jul 2011 09:52:14 9,583 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Billy_sastard wrote:
    I think they're shocked because it was a terrible port on the Amiga.
    With it's 256 on screen colour palette? How dare you! :D

After rise of the robots, it was a revelation!
  • Deleted user 27 July 2011 09:55:03
    Alipan wrote:
    In Link to the Past you can go storming into a villagers house and start smashing all their pots looking for rupees while they sit idly by - I always thought that was a bit strange.

Actually, that is one thing that kinda bugs me in some RPGs and adventures, the fact that you can ruthlessly steal everything.

I would also mention the infinitely deep pockets that adventure game characters often have (think it was one of the Secret Files games that had you carrying around a full sized ladder, a chair, a bucket, a large rock and a 20ft rope simultaneously), but this is lampooned so much in the genre itself it's not worth mentioning.

The only time gameplay elements are weird are when they themselves break the rules of the gameworld, not just because they're 'not the same as real life'. The Aeris/Phoenix Down thing is a decent example of that.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous