Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (TiTs)

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • HiddenAway 15 Jul 2011 22:10:05 14,856 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New thread for the EUROPEAN announcement!

Special Collector's Edition and PSN version to be released as well

\o/

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• ghostlight_ross 15 Jul 2011 22:35:46 138 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Beat me again :) Even when we post it at odd hours I still can't get here first. Next time we announce something I'll make sure it goes up at 5 in the morning that'll show you. And me because I'll have to be up at that time.
  • LockeTribal 15 Jul 2011 22:39:22 4,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Woop! Sounds great from what I've heard. Very interested.
  • HiddenAway 15 Jul 2011 22:42:56 14,856 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ghostlight_ross wrote:
    Beat me again :) Even when we post it at odd hours I still can't get here first. Next time we announce something I'll make sure it goes up at 5 in the morning that'll show you. And me because I'll have to be up at that time.

You had your chance - I was eating dinner when it was announced and couldn't read my Twitter feed :D

Thanks again for bringing it over to our shores. Now, about Yggdra Union... ;)

Now, how the hell do we get it on the Eurogamer front page...

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• ghostlight_ross 15 Jul 2011 22:44:21 138 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's awesome. As I say in the blog I was asked to evaluate it and was given a copy. I ended up taking the work PSP with the game on home every evening for about a month to play it.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2011 22:48:11
    Well done to Ghostlight for bringing this game to Europe, great decision. You have excellent taste.

Also, players should definitely take Ross' advice and try to open each treasure chest twice.
    The wit and charm of the writing in this game is a step above the norm.
  • Jonsend 15 Jul 2011 22:52:09 701 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That is totally TiTs!
  • BBIAJ 15 Jul 2011 23:04:59 895 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Awesome, was going to get the NTSC version, but shall hold out for the PAL Collector's Edition now!
  • itamae 16 Jul 2011 00:17:40 9,859 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The game is all sorts of awesome! Everyone should own a copy or two.
  • Mr_Brown 16 Jul 2011 00:32:48 969 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Excellent news, really been tempted to import, but will wait now!

Vita: GameOverYeah

• Mr_Brown 16 Jul 2011 00:32:48 969 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Excellent news, really been tempted to import, but will wait now!

Vita: GameOverYeah

• Rufus 16 Jul 2011 02:55:32 1,754 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is absolutely fantastic news, thank you Ghostlight!
  • Flying_Pig 16 Jul 2011 10:04:39 10,698 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Would love to get my grubby mitts on TiTS. Having a bit of an RPG love-in ATM
  • Deleted user 16 July 2011 11:07:56
    Good news, but I hope they manage the PSN version better than P3P.

/still waiting.
  • Kay 16 Jul 2011 11:14:03 17,762 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, still waiting for P3P here.

Saw a few videos for TitS though, and it does look rather good.
  • Murbal 16 Jul 2011 11:40:50 21,924 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another reason why the PSP is the most underrated system around.
  • ghostlight_ross 16 Jul 2011 11:49:22 138 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MaoZedong wrote:
    Good news, but I hope they manage the PSN version better than P3P.

/still waiting.
    We're aware that we could have handled the PSN release of P3P better but I have been promised some news on that soon. I've also been told that we're going to do our best to get a PSN verion of Trails in the Sky out as close to the UMD release as we can.
  • FabricatedLunatic 16 Jul 2011 11:49:30 12,994 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a few issues with the game but despite that it's definitely one of the better JRPGs of the last few years. And with no random encounters, a detailed quest log/diary, and the ability to save anywhere, I'd recommend the game to more casual fans of the genre too.
  • Deleted user 16 July 2011 11:58:20
    What were your issues with the game FabricatedLunatic?
  • FabricatedLunatic 16 Jul 2011 12:02:32 12,994 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well seeing as you asked...

It's a bit talky at times for my tastes and the plot doesn't really gather momentum until the second half (though everything that happens IS connected to the over-arching plot despite perhaps not seeming so at the time). But it does many more things right than wrong.
  • Deleted user 16 July 2011 12:22:12
    Yeah, I know a lot of people will find the game slow going at the start.

I personally find the pacing refreshing. It concentrates on character development rather than plot for the first half, and for me it makes you care more about the characters when the plot kicks in later in the game.

I think most videogames are cinematic when it comes to story telling. TitS is very much novel-like. In novels character development is more important than anything else, even plot.

I know some of the dialogue might seem banal and pointless (though it is so charming I didn't care). But when you finish the game you realise that a lot of what is being said is actually very important.
    I've played a bit of a second run-through and there are a lot of pointers and clues to the rest of the story. Even very early in the game. There is a lot of foreshadowing.
  • JinTypeNoir 17 Jul 2011 20:37:56 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Porco wrote:There is a lot of foreshadowing.

Ha ha. You have no idea. None. Whatsoever. You are in for SUCH a good time in the sequels.

Wait until you play the second and third games. Your mouth will be agape so often at the stuff they built up from the first game that turns out to be major later on. This series is truly special, but it goes into Total God Mode once you continue the epic story of the first game into the utterly mammoth second game and the very uniquely paced and personal third game.

Also, the music keeps getting better and better.

If Dragon Quest IX hadn't been released, this whole series would be the RPGs of this generation, no contest.
  • WinstonChurchill 18 Jul 2011 12:42:07 137 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just started my import copy of this last night. A hint of (non-biological) incest within the first 2 hours but the battle system and treasure chest dialogue is making up for that.

I ended up buying P3P twice so could end up doing the same for TITS. Make sure the Collector's Edition is good, Ross!

And the t-shirt is not large!
  • Deleted user 18 July 2011 21:07:52
    @JinTypeNoir

Don't. I don't want to get my hopes up high just in case we never get to see the sequels in the west.
    I keep hearing how incredible the second game is, but the third probably intrigues me the most. They better come.
  • itamae 18 Jul 2011 21:58:17 9,859 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Porco wrote:
    Don't. I don't want to get my hopes up high just in case we never get to see the sequels in the west.
    Well there is a teaser trailer for the sequel at the end of the first game (US version), so I'm being hopeful that we'll at least get to see the second chapter in an understandable form.
  • Deleted user 18 July 2011 22:21:27
    Problem is, the second game exceeds the PSN maximum size limit. So it would have to be a dual UMD release. The earliest the translation would be ready is mid 2012 (and Xseed have hinted that's optimistic).
    Will anyone still be buying UMDs by then?

Hopefully the internet buzz around this game and decent sales will convince Xseed (and Ghostlight) it is worth the risk.

If the third game ever comes out it would have to be on PSN to make it Vita compatible.
    Or maybe PC version on Steam.
  • itamae 18 Jul 2011 22:42:15 9,859 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ouch! Well, the XBLA file limit has been steadily increased from 50MB to 2GB over the years, so here's hoping.
  • Kay 18 Jul 2011 23:00:23 17,762 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After reading the comments above I'm even more interested. Didn't realise the game was that highly-regarded. Plus, no random battles? Excellent.
  • michaelius 19 Jul 2011 00:40:20 809 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I need to make an additional clone of myself to play all those jrpg :)
  • JinTypeNoir 19 Jul 2011 05:18:52 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've heard Falcom works with XSeed to translate the games to make sure of high quality (they are pretty wary given how their games were ported and translated in the past), but all their programmers are busy right now, so the project is going slowly.

Falcom is also predominantly a PC developer AND they were one of the first PC developers to offer their games for download (you can go two of them for free right now! And both of them are in English! Wanna link?). I think they are very much open to Steam if the PSP works out. And knowing Falcom they could probably and would probably figure out someway to transfer save data too.

Even if worse comes to worst and you have to rely on a translation patch of the PC versions, Falcom will ship their games directly worldwide if you e-mail them.

I do wonder, at this stage, what the status of the fourth, fifth and sixth games are for translation.

If you have the money, and you want to show your for support them, a great way would be to buy the fantastic Falcom-produced Ys games, Ys 1 and 2 Eternal, Ys VII and Ys Oath in Felghana, or the previously translated Gurumin. (Avoid the Legend of Heroes games and Ys VI, as these are not good ports done by Falcom themselves and Falcom most likely won't see any return on them anyway.)
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous