Evil Dead 4 Page 2

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Deleted user 13 July 2011 09:51:09
    bad09 wrote:
    meme wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    To this day I'm still unsure why he ruined one of the greatest horror movies ever made by going down the comedy route.

Because he was a massive fan of the Three Stooges and decided he was a bit bored with just constantly doing horror. The decision to tone down AoD was entirely conscious on his part, and in all honesty I think it works better than just treading over the same old ground again.

But he wasn't constantly doing horror though he made one, ED (which was a big screen take on his short film anyway) then remade it as a comedy in ED2.

Well, he was, he'd done ED1, ED2 and Darkman. He made a comedy film inbetween but it didn't get any notice at all, and part of it was him worrying he'd be typecast as 'the horror/gore guy'. So him and Ivan both threw in more comedy and action over horror.
  • bad09 13 Jul 2011 10:00:51 5,783 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Well, he was, he'd done ED1, ED2 and Darkman. He made a comedy film inbetween but it didn't get any notice at all, and part of it was him worrying he'd be typecast as 'the horror/gore guy'. So him and Ivan both threw in more comedy and action over horror.

Well I consider ED2 a gore comedy more a than horror and Darkman is pretty much a super hero black comedy so I doubt he would have been typecast but I see your point.

Still considering how good the original evil dead was more actual horror movies from him could have been wicked. Even in the fairly decent Drag Me To Hell he rather pointlessly pulls the comdey card.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2011 10:05:35
    I actually think one of Raimi's best films is The Quick And The Dead - it's really where he came into his own as a director, where all his amateur experimentation matched up with professional quality. Also helped that his natural style almost perfectly complimented a Western. Shame Bruce's cameo was cut (and IIRC one of the only films where his Oldsmobile doesn't appear - it was originally supposed to be heavily transformed into part of a horsecart, but it never happened).
  • Buztafen 13 Jul 2011 10:08:30 16,176 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't understand the hate for ED1? ED2 is genius and it works as a comedy and horror lite but 1 was still awesome and had some vicious scenes (tree rape, pencil in ankle and twist!) and gore in it, plus some top notch makeup and prop work for the time and money they had to make it.
  • AaronTurner 13 Jul 2011 10:10:37 7,683 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Who hates it?
  • Buztafen 13 Jul 2011 10:14:41 16,176 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Err...some people. Im just getting a bit of a negative vibe for it here that's all.
  • richarddavies 13 Jul 2011 10:15:08 2,627 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is the quick and the dead the one with Sharon Stone in? Not seen that in years. Pretty good film. I might have to see if Play have it.

And I don't know anyone that hates Evil dead 1.
  • bad09 13 Jul 2011 10:43:02 5,783 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    I don't understand the hate for ED1? ED2 is genius and it works as a comedy and horror lite but 1 was still awesome and had some vicious scenes (tree rape, pencil in ankle and twist!) and gore in it, plus some top notch makeup and prop work for the time and money they had to make it.

Yeah for the budget they had some amazing FX. Possessed Cheryl is still one of the most disturbing images of film I've ever seen.
  • beastmaster 16 Oct 2012 08:44:15 11,325 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bump.

Red Band trailer here. It's on a camcorder but quality is not so bad.

Most, most defo NSFW. Very bloody and violent.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3197640/here-it-is-the-gory-first-footage-from-the-new-evil-dead/

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Chopsen 16 Oct 2012 09:02:42 15,870 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, not having Raimi on-board, and the unavoidable fact that there is no way it can have the same cultural relevance as the original makes me a bit ambivalent tbh. Yet another remake to add to the list. However, I do love the originals so I will probably turn in to screaming girl when I will eventually and inevitably see them.
  • bad09 16 Oct 2012 21:30:47 5,783 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Link had the trailer removed. Found one here though

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/horror_movies/news/?a=68741

Looks OK..and pretty much the same film but with better looking people for today's "we need sexy!" generation and obviously some better effects. Surprising from the teaser it looks like they are doing the rape again. Would have thought that would go in a remake.

Most of these remakes are pointless, I just watched a teaser for Carrie and only thought "why?", but I dunno about this one. There is no denying, as Chopsen rightly says, it just will not have the same relevance as the the original and it'll just be another gore flick by today's standard.

For me though (as I said in this thread last July) The Evil Dead was a series that was utterly destroyed after just one film to become badly made, but cool, cult comedies. Yes ED2 is a fun film and 3 is...OK if you take it for what it is, but the horror of ED1 was horror at it's best and to this day I still see it as a crime to cinema what was done to it. A remake trying to get back to the horror and dread of the first film is really, really welcome.

Looking forward to it but still wary though, Hollywood lost it's touch when it comes to horror a LONG time ago so it's hard to believe they can make a decent horror never mind recapture the awesome feeling of watching ED1.
  • Moot_Point 16 Oct 2012 22:10:37 3,983 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Looks like those trees are up to no good again. Bloody rapists!!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• ronuds 16 Oct 2012 22:20:52 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doesn't look too bad - certainly gory enough from those few scenes.

For the record: big fan of ED1 & ED2. AoD... not so much. I can't believe that one has such a huge following, tbh. The other two were exponentially better, imo.
  • bad09 16 Oct 2012 22:39:54 5,783 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the love of AoD is a cult thing, a "so bad it's good" kinda love. Personally I don't rate it that much lower than 2, it's a lot sillier than 2 sure, but both are fun comedy films.
  • ronuds 16 Oct 2012 22:45:11 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember being so psyched for it and then thinking, 'wtf is this bullshit?'
  • Moot_Point 16 Oct 2012 22:50:44 3,983 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ronuds Are you an American by any chance??

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• bad09 16 Oct 2012 22:59:26 5,783 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I remember being so psyched for it and then thinking, 'wtf is this bullshit?'
    Really? Did you not know it was a follow up to 2 when you saw it? Once I knew they were picking it up from where 2 left off I knew what was coming. Admittedly I wasn't prepared for just how silly it was but knew laughs was where it was going. :)
  • bad09 16 Oct 2012 23:59:53 5,783 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Goodfella

I was younger about 10 or 11 but it was after the ban so a bootleg copy :) Different time I suppose but my mum knew I had a passion for film, horror especially (used to read fangoria, had horror posters. I was like the kid from Salems Lot), and I had a clear understanding of what the aim of such films were and how that gore on screen was fake so she didn't mind so much.

I agree with what you are saying about "why bother?" but the problem with "just go watch the original" here though is it's not aged well at all and if done right probably one of the few remakes that are actually worthwhile doing. It was low budget, the acting level is understandably poor, and even for the time the FX were rough (not that you noticed on pirate VHS). Throw in the fact that ED1 has almost been forgotten by the later comedies Raimi did I think it's a film and script that warrants a revisit.

Obviously it will have abnormally attractive people but will it be watered down? Not sure from that trailer, like I said the one thing I thought would go is still there surprisingly although whether we "see" the rape like uncensored ED (they cut that scene when it finally got a release here in the UK) remains to be seen. The rest is just gore which is nothing these days. It's like Chopsen said in that respect it won't have the cultural effect of the original, it can't. It can succeed as a good remake though it just needs to "feel" like Evil Dead. The tension, dread and fear you had watching. If they handle the possessions right this could be good or least worth a watch. Of course they're off to bad start not whiting out their eyes but we'll see :)
  • Chopsen 17 Oct 2012 00:26:58 15,870 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was sure I'd said this before ages ago in this thread but apparently not, so here we go...

I like AoD. It's not a proper Evil Dead film, being completely at odds in tone to the others. It was also undeniably totally fucked up by Raimi - the "theatrical" version is much better than the longer intended directors cut. Not cool to think the studio cut makes a better film, especially for somone with "cult" status, but it's true.

Either ending works, though, and it's quite enjoyable as a bit of nonsense.
  • localnotail 17 Oct 2012 01:24:09 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like all of them, but I probably won't bother with a remake.

Thread soundtrack

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• GuiltySpark 17 Oct 2012 07:19:49 6,362 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks generic as hell.

Get bent.

• bad09 17 Oct 2012 09:28:57 5,783 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Goodfella

Funnily enough the first thing I thought with the new Cheryl was "Exorcist" :)

I hear you, it was jarring and it's already a tick against the remake but for the moment I can live with it and still holding on to hope for know, apart from the eyes it looked OK (although you are right if the demon talk is ballsed up it won't be Evil Dead).

I dunno, normally I'm quite cynical about Hollywood doing remakes and it's inability to create new interesting ideas but maybe it's because I want another horror Evil Dead, maybe it's the ED1 fanboy in me or maybe I'm just frustrated with how low the horror from Hollywood has plummeted in recent years and want something resembling horror of old but I'm rooting for this one....silly I know as it WILL be shit but one can hope :)

Does make me want to watch the original though "we're gonna get ya, we're gonna get ya..."
  • quadfather 17 Oct 2012 09:34:41 11,979 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Haven't watched the trailer yet but I love all 3 films for what they are. Am I evil?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• spindle9988 17 Oct 2012 09:51:23 3,528 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I loved all the evil dead films. I watcherd them when I was ypung though so was more easily impressed. The 2nd was the 1st one I ever saw, when I watched the 1st a couple of years later I was baffled as it was the same film except a lot darker
  • bad09 17 Oct 2012 10:15:58 5,783 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheryl had a lot of great scenes and she is gonna make or break the new one I reckon. She is so important to the original she really is the focus of a lot of the film. She is where it starts and she is a lot of the tension and unease. Some of the most uncomfortable and uneasy scenes are her in her basement watching, laughing and mocking IMO.

Edited by bad09 at 10:16:30 17-10-2012
  • Page

of 8 First / Last