Evil Dead 4 Page 7

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• evild_edd 8 Apr 2013 08:43:32 3,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @beastmaster

Encouraging. Article states there were mixed exit polls, but I suppose that's to be expected for such a gory flick....

As one of the comments in the article says, let's hope this signals a return to films using 'proper' physical effects over CGI; at least in horror films, anyway.

Just a shame that, unfortunately, I know that there's no way I'll be able to drag the wife to this one :0(

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• DJCopa 19 Apr 2013 12:05:24 1,058 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saw it last night - Quite enjoyable but never (imo) going to rival the original (but what films do). A LOAD of gore and blood but not many scares.

Worth a watch.

Oh, and if you've been told to stay to the very end credits I wouldn't waste your time. There is something but maybe 3secs worth. I'd heard it would explain if this was a prequel or sequel but doesn't
  • Deleted user 19 April 2013 12:10:21
    Seeing it tonight.

/excited
  • ZuluHero 19 Apr 2013 12:12:25 4,302 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saw this last night too.. Was quite enjoyable, but the number of people just talking through the entire thing made me want to summon my own demon to kill them all.
  • DJCopa 19 Apr 2013 12:56:31 1,058 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Goodfella Off to see original Evil Dead at cinema on Monday night, which will be a treat!
  • beastmaster 19 Apr 2013 13:28:35 11,986 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm off to see it in 30 mins. Probably.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Oh-Bollox 20 Apr 2013 00:27:48 5,425 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Before I say anything about Evil Dead, let me just say: after Cabin in the Woods, you cannot just knock out another generic 'cabin in the woods' film and expect anything more than a gentle kicking at best. You just can't. Unless you're going to do something different with it, you can't just trot out the same formula.

Yet they trotted out the same formula. Dodgy cast, poor writing, wobbly acting, good effects, too much focus on gore and jump scares. One of the things that irritated me from the very beginning was how staged it all looked. In The Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, etc you knew they were actually in the woods, because it was no budget. I understand they did film in woods for ED, but it looks staged for large portions of it. Enough bodily disfigurement for a Saw film, too, which was out of place and without any real humour to alleviate the disgust.
  • Deleted user 20 April 2013 00:40:33
    I  thought there were some cracking shots in it. I can see from your review you didn't think much of it though. Shame. I loved it. I still love the original more but I loved it.
  • Oh-Bollox 20 Apr 2013 00:44:46 5,425 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought it had good moments, but as a whole, it missed the mark for me.
  • Deleted user 20 April 2013 00:48:43
    Were you, and I'm not being deliberately antagonistic here, expecting anything other than dodgy acting, Gore and jump scares from an evil dead film? I'm glad the humour was lacking, although I thought the long haired guy added a good amount of humour.

There were faults though, but could you be being a bit harsh?
  • Gambit1977 21 Apr 2013 06:25:56 10,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought the second half was rubbish.
  • Ged42 21 Apr 2013 09:54:57 7,807 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saw it last night and I thought it was good, not particularly scary, but much better than other horror films i've seen recently.

Lacked the fun of Evil Dead 2 and AoD, but taken on its own it's very well done gore horror.

Also I thought the end of credits moment was totally worth staying for. :D
  • Oh-Bollox 21 Apr 2013 16:32:44 5,425 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    Were you, and I'm not being deliberately antagonistic here, expecting anything other than dodgy acting, Gore and jump scares from an evil dead film? I'm glad the humour was lacking, although I thought the long haired guy added a good amount of humour.

There were faults though, but could you be being a bit harsh?
    Well, don't want to post too much, as I know a lot of people enjoyed it, and I'm not one of those cunts who insists upon posting repeatedly in a thread for something they didn't enjoy, but as you asked.

The dodgy acting in particular, when combined with a weak/lazy script and/or writing, is a bit of a killer. It's been a while since I've seen such an obvious 'cast' on screen. It's always been a bit of a puzzler for me why shit actors get hired. I never believed in any of the relationships, David (I think it was David, Mia's brother?) in particular was a void, all the charisma of a biscuit with two shits inside. The writing was barely even mediocre, the possessed Mia's lines could have been straight out of The Exorcist, and if you don't care about any of the characters, how can you care about what they do and what happens to them? By the time I got home from the cinema, I could remember and name for certain one character, Mia. That's not good.

I'm firmly of the belief that gore detracts from horror, not the genre, but the feeling. Whatever you show cannot possibly be as bad as what someone will think of if you hint at it and let their imaginations do the rest. The massive gushes of blood almost felt out of place because very little otherwise seemed to hearken back to the originals (in terms of individual elements).

Likewise with jump scares, they're the 'easy money' of horror, and badly overused, especially by inept or inexperienced directors. Quick movement or a jump cut, audio stinger and jump in volume, job done. You've also fucked any build up of tension or creepiness for an insignificant payoff.

I really liked the possessions, I thought they were great. The return to almost-all practical effects was very welcome.
  • Oh-Bollox 21 Apr 2013 17:36:35 5,425 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really don't understand why some people are hired, it's not like what they do isn't obvious. They do audition, they do script readings, you get to see what they can do, so why hire someone who is deficient. The genre is so spat upon because people just chuck a load of shit together and hope it works. If you're really not bothered about the quality of the acting, hire people who are amateurs, or non-actors, and save yourselves thousands. You might as well.

Horror requires a fine touch, not a blunt instrument.

Just read the script was translated from Spanish? That can't have helped.

Edited by Oh-Bollox at 17:37:23 21-04-2013
  • Gambit1977 22 Apr 2013 05:46:35 10,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wasn't Mia's brother hired simply for his looks?

It's a shame, there's a good movie in there, for sure.
  • spindle9988 22 Apr 2013 09:10:46 3,676 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. If this came out as a standalone horror film I think it would of been amazing. As I cant help but compare it to the original It will always lose a mark for me becausse it is the inferior version
  • Deleted user 3 July 2013 04:26:55
    Worth it just for the end credits. Aside from that it was...okay. Relied far too heavily on gore, whereas the original, while gory, was also filled with unique and experimental cinematography to back it up.

And Bruce Campbell.
  • GuiltySpark 3 Jul 2013 06:28:10 6,466 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Unique cinematography isn't really as easy as it was 30 or so years ago though.

Get bent.

• Deleted user 3 July 2013 14:25:01
    True enough, but there wasn't really any sort of interesting cinematography in this, let alone unique. No shots stood out, it was just bog standard filming. Whereas in the original, practically every shot looked either good or interesting. How the camera moved was as important as what it was filming. This felt more like point and shoot.
  • Deleted user 3 July 2013 21:19:07
    Started watching this, i'm fifteen minutes in and can't believe how bad the acting is.

The brother in particular is straight out of a cutscene for a 90's FMV video game.
  • Dirtbox 3 Jul 2013 21:28:15 79,202 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not really an ED film, it somehow misses the point of the originals so deftly that you have to wonder if it's the same Raimi and if this imposter has ever even heard of the originals.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• beastmaster 27 Oct 2013 00:21:22 11,986 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rami confirmed as director for Army Of Darkness 2

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3261606/sam-raimi-confirmed-to-direct-army-of-darkness-2/

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Dirtbox 27 Oct 2013 01:40:27 79,202 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ash recast with Shia LaBeouf confirmed.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Page

of 8 First / Last