I just bought a smoker! Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • binky Moderator 28 Sep 2011 11:41:20 9,462 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for the offer fella.
    Before seeing this though, I've had a ring around some slightly further afield garden centres and come up trumps \o/

One bag of Applewood and one bag of Pecan.
  • Grunk 18 Nov 2011 12:42:38 4,718 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally ordered one of these, and am planning on a chicken this weekend and some pork shoulder the following weekend.

So advice required...

I'm looking at having about 5 hours to do each of these, and if they are not cooked they will be finished off the oven.

I guess I need to know, how much charcoal, how much wood-chips and whether they need refilling? My thought was to have a seperate BBQ for the charcoal and add it on demand.

I take it the water bucket also gets filled with whatever (beer probably) and this keeps the temperature down and steam roasts the meat.
    What sort of temperature am I aiming for inside the smoker?

I've done carnitas in the oven before, which was between 4-6 hours at 180C.

This was a joint of pork, crushed garlic, salt, coriander, OJ, and beer all in a casserole dish, lid on, and put in the oven.

I'm guessing the idea is the same except with smoke?

Anything special to do to stop the chicken drying out? or will the addition of steam keep it happy?
  • orpheus 18 Nov 2011 13:44:27 994 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Brodie wrote:
    If you've got a smoker, don't bother buying chipotles in adobo, just smoke your own jalapenos then make it yourself, it's pretty simple.

:D

True, and I will be doing just that. But honestly those chipotles in sauce, blended, make such an awesome marinade that everyone should try it
    That Mexican mail order website is fucking awesome, how that slipped me by I'll never know. Nice one for the post!
  • smoothpete 18 Nov 2011 14:22:10 31,362 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Grunk:

Fuckloads of coal
    Not much wood (chunks are better than chips)
    Middle of the temperature gauge
    The liquid is for steam, not to cool the thing down. quite the opposite.
    Buy a meat thermometer.

Also - RTFM :)

It comes with full, helpful instructions, and some recipes.
  • Rhythm 21 May 2012 12:03:18 2,471 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A local shop has these in for 40. Worth taking a risk? Anyone tried a horizontal smoker?
  • Grunk 21 May 2012 12:29:39 4,718 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Definitely.
  • Rhythm 21 May 2012 13:14:16 2,471 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cheers Grunk, but it looks like it's one to miss.

Need to find a UK stockist of those $57 Brinkmann bullet shaped ones - they're cheap and effective but the shipping from the states is a killer :-(
  • smoothpete 26 May 2012 10:34:30 31,362 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Today I start the procedure for making corned beef. One week on the fridge curing, then next week I will smoke that mofo and make pastrami. Will also be making pulled pork, probably chuck some ribs in there too. Oh yeah baby.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next