I just bought a smoker! Page 2

  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

  • Ultrasoundwave 15 Jul 2011 12:33:06 3,305 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Smoker had its first use yesterday, got a joint of pork from the butcher which included the tenderloin.
    Put the charcoal at the bottom and covered it with apple wood chips. We also put water in there, but decided to mix a bit of Magners in with the water.

    We seasoned the pork with a meat rub that we created ourselves : Sugar, Salt, Garlic, Paprika, Worcester, onion salt and pepper.

    The joint was put in the smoker, by itself, at about 1pm and we decided to take it out at 8, so it had a solid 7 hours of smoking.

    We also created a mop sauce to put on the pork : honey, soy sauce and MORE magners mixed together.

    I got the joint out of the smoker and put it on our biggest plate. I took a fork to it and the meat literally just pealed away and the smell was absolutely gorgeous.

    Me and the girlfriend have eaten at some great places since we've been together. We've been to paris and eaten their finest meats, cheeses, breads, etc. We've been to 3 michelin star chef's restaurants (Sean Rankins place in Jersey, Stephen Terrys place in Abergavenny and James Summerin's place in Monmouth) and generally eaten some great food.

    However, nothing we have eaten tastes as good as this pulled pork. God bless America for making food smokers, it is easily the best 100 i have ever spent.

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • geeza2020 15 Jul 2011 12:42:20 1,887 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think you meant to post this here:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/food-and-drink
  • Grunk 15 Jul 2011 12:44:29 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Smoking food has been around for much longer than America.
  • gammonbanter 15 Jul 2011 18:48:26 1,499 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds amazing, what's next for a good smokin' ?

    We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

  • Ultrasoundwave 15 Jul 2011 23:17:02 3,305 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    Sounds amazing, what's next for a good smokin' ?

    Heading to the butcher in the morning and picking up some Welsh black beef brisket.

    Cant.........wait.

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • smoothpete 27 Jul 2011 11:17:13 31,521 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I saw these things for sale in Home Depot in the states for 40 bucks... That's 1/5th the price over here. I would have brought one back but I couldn't figure out a way to package it (plus I was skint)

    So all being well I will get one for my birthday next week. I took the liberty of getting some hickory and mesquite chips is preparation. Gonna go the pulled pork route first I think.
  • Ultrasoundwave 2 Aug 2011 15:25:45 3,305 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I saw these things for sale in Home Depot in the states for 40 bucks... That's 1/5th the price over here. I would have brought one back but I couldn't figure out a way to package it (plus I was skint)

    So all being well I will get one for my birthday next week. I took the liberty of getting some hickory and mesquite chips is preparation. Gonna go the pulled pork route first I think.

    Only done two smokes so far, both have been a big success though. The first we tried was the pork tenderloin (as explained earlier) and the second was a Beef Prime Rib (which i got instead of a Brisket) which was fantastic - we used the same seasoning as before, but we added budweiser to the marinade tray instead of cider which worked beautifully.

    Our new and improved sauce, for applying to the meat after its cooked, is a must-try : Honey, Soy, Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, onion sault and Paprika. Mix them all together and apply to each piece of beef that you cut - absolutely to die for.

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • smoothpete 3 Aug 2011 09:34:30 31,521 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yay so I got my smoker (happy birthday to me). I have a plethora of different woods to try out too, apple, mesquite, hickory and something else I forget the name of. I think I'll try pork first. Mmmmm.
  • Ultrasoundwave 3 Aug 2011 09:56:29 3,305 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Marvelous - although i will warn you to try and use as little wood as possible IF you have neighbours close by, the amount of smoke that these things chuck out is hilarious!.

    The first rule of smoking club : More charcoal, [u]less wood.[/u]

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • smoothpete 3 Aug 2011 10:00:32 31,521 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Duly noted, thanks :)

    /throws whole tree onto coals
  • DaM 3 Aug 2011 10:12:53 13,247 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You might try soaking the woodchips in water, then wrapping in a silver foil parcel, with holes in it.

    They burn slower.
  • TheRealBadabing 3 Aug 2011 10:30:46 1,314 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The hardest thing about hot smoking is (apparently) keeping the temperature down. I must be some sort of culinary demi-god as every smoke I do tends to end up needing a blast in the oven to actually cook it.

    Must be the crappy lumpwood charcoal I'm using but no one seems to sell briquettes that haven't been soaked in "easy light" chemicals any more. Getting a bit worried as I have a brisket on order from my butcher and I really don't want to ruin it.
  • Grunk 23 Aug 2011 13:56:22 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hey Ultra,

    How does this work as a bbq instead of a smoker?

    I'm thinking of buying one for a mate's wedding/house warming present, but they will probably want to use it as a BBQ first and smoker second.
  • DaM 23 Aug 2011 14:19:04 13,247 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll answer for Ultra, he's obviously off smoking a bear or something.

    Yup - you just move the charcoal bucket up to the middle layer, and use the top shelf as the grill.
  • smoothpete 23 Aug 2011 14:47:54 31,521 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This saturday is smoke day. Looking forward to it. Gonna do pulled pork, and a sort of jerk-ish chicken too
  • Grunk 23 Aug 2011 14:59:31 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cool,
    The other question is, would it be a suitable bbq/smoker for a (large) balcony?
  • smoothpete 23 Aug 2011 15:15:00 31,521 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think so, yes. They're quite compact. You would want to get the cover for it too if it will be stored out in the rain
  • Benno 23 Aug 2011 15:33:43 9,910 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Smoker had its first use yesterday, got a joint of pork from the butcher which included the tenderloin.
    Put the charcoal at the bottom and covered it with apple wood chips. We also put water in there, but decided to mix a bit of Magners in with the water.

    We seasoned the pork with a meat rub that we created ourselves : Sugar, Salt, Garlic, Paprika, Worcester, onion salt and pepper.

    The joint was put in the smoker, by itself, at about 1pm and we decided to take it out at 8, so it had a solid 7 hours of smoking.

    We also created a mop sauce to put on the pork : honey, soy sauce and MORE magners mixed together.

    I got the joint out of the smoker and put it on our biggest plate. I took a fork to it and the meat literally just pealed away and the smell was absolutely gorgeous.

    Me and the girlfriend have eaten at some great places since we've been together. We've been to paris and eaten their finest meats, cheeses, breads, etc. We've been to 3 michelin star chef's restaurants (Sean Rankins place in Jersey, Stephen Terrys place in Abergavenny and James Summerin's place in Monmouth) and generally eaten some great food.

    However, nothing we have eaten tastes as good as this pulled pork. God bless America for making food smokers, it is easily the best 100 i have ever spent.

    sold
  • BinaryBob101 23 Aug 2011 16:28:10 22,992 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I think so, yes. They're quite compact. You would want to get the cover for it too if it will be stored out in the rain

    Slow smoked chicken is an absolute win pete. I have perfected the ultimate dry rub for this now I reckon - remember to get under the skin with loads of rub, you can pull the skin away from the legs too, so you get flavour over the whole chicken. Use loads of dark brown muscovado sugar is my advice for the rub.

    The Grumpy Vaper

  • Grunk 23 Aug 2011 17:27:14 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have been having fun removing all the bones from a chicken, and then stuffing it with a mix of bacon, apples, butter etc.

    Tastes amazing roasted, I reckon it would be even better smoked.
  • BinaryBob101 23 Aug 2011 23:05:53 22,992 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    But, the bones give flavour, more so when you slow roast.

    The Grumpy Vaper

  • Grunk 24 Aug 2011 13:26:51 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    More flavour than Bacon?
  • binky Moderator 27 Sep 2011 15:26:07 9,643 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Going to use the sunny weekend to finally try smoking some meat in my weber kettle BBQ. Was going to attempt the pulled pork, any tips?
  • smoothpete 27 Sep 2011 15:35:36 31,521 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No tips as such, I don't know how you would do it in one of those

    I shall too be getting the smoker out this weekend. I'm thinking beef.
  • binky Moderator 27 Sep 2011 15:39:59 9,643 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This looks fairly sensible.

    http://www.instructables.com/id/Pulled-pork-on-a-Weber-kettle-grill/?ALLSTEPS
  • binky Moderator 27 Sep 2011 16:13:54 9,643 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Received a meat thermometer recently as a present \o/
    Do NOT have a thermometer on the BBQ though which is a shame.
  • binky Moderator 28 Sep 2011 10:02:50 9,643 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cock. No wood chips in stores :( Too late to order online for Saturday without paying for super fast delivery. Boo.
  • smoothpete 28 Sep 2011 10:22:20 31,521 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PM me your address, I'll send you some for free. What kind do you want? I have loads of different ones

    I think I have an open pack of leftover mesquite if that is any good for you
  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

Log in or register to reply