Life's Too Short

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 02:39:10
    Life's Too Short is a joint BBC2/HBO[1] television observational sitcom series currently in development. It is created and written by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, and is described by Gervais as about "the life of a showbiz dwarf", with Warwick Davis playing a fictionalised version of himself. Gervais and Merchant will appear in cameos as themselves.
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 02:42:22
    Any cunt who starts a thread saying "oh, I couldn't find the thread about this awesome comedy so created my own" fuck off, you post here.
  • PhoenixFlames 10 Jul 2011 09:07:28 9,263 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :-D
  • warlockuk 10 Jul 2011 09:37:02 19,302 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it has Gervais being cockpunched by a dwarf, I'm there.
  • Trafford 10 Jul 2011 09:41:49 6,897 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    More exploitation, masquerading as comedy from Gervais and Merchant.
  • Lexx87 10 Jul 2011 09:44:10 20,853 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked The Office and Extras so sign me up.
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Jul 2011 10:28:19 29,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love The Office and Extras to death, find them absolutely hilarious.

Will be watching this!
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 10:54:50
    Yea i've been following this for some time, Warwick Davies is actually a good comedic actor. Jerry Seinfield is supposed to be in it as well.
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Jul 2011 10:55:52 29,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seinfeld is in it?! Holy fuck that's me sold.
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 10:57:15
    Yep and rumours and Johhny Depp will cameo as well. Extras was comedy gold so i can not wait for this.
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 11:02:38
    warlockuk wrote:
    If it has Gervais being cockpunched by a dwarf, I'm there.

Can I just shock you, I like Gervais. I like Merchant and I like Karl Pilkington. I've actually liked everything Gervais has done, from his days on Channel 4 using shock humour on the Ten O'clock show to his more recent days annoying the stars of Hollywood (Fuck 'em). Oh did he upset you, calm down, he's joking.

Life's Too Short will feature Sandra Bullock, who is currently in the UK filming for this sit-com-drama, now not many people have that kind of pulling power. I'm looking forward to this autumn's telly with this and an idiot abroad the bucket list appearing. I need something now the awesomeness of Eddie Stobart: Trucks & Trailers 2 has ended (fucking hilarious). Otherwise it's just repeats of Come Dine With Me or Four Rooms, or Fat Families, which is hilarious, love the dancing at the end.
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 11:04:41
    Lexx87 wrote:
    I liked The Office and Extras so sign me up.

I can't stop listening to the xfm shows on itunes, some of the funniest conversations I've ever heard, you never see an old man eating a twix.
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 11:08:26
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Seinfeld is in it?! Holy fuck that's me sold.

Larry David and Jerry could bring back Seinfeld and it would work... that season of curb where Larry tries to bring them back is superb. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMTLOk9cK6E

Anyway, I'm derailing my own thread, back to Life's Too Short discussion, can't wait for this.
  • woodnotes 10 Jul 2011 11:14:49 4,961 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Office, Extras, An Idiot Abroad and The Ricky Gervais Show have all been unmissable TV for me so genuinely can't wait for this.
  • Lexx87 10 Jul 2011 11:17:48 20,853 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ricky Gervais Show was odd for me, being an old podcast listener I actually prefer it in that form to the cartoony one.
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 11:20:04
    Any news when it's airing btw?
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 11:21:59
    @woodnotes

They never get the respect they deserve. Not many can take comedy and stop for a moment and do emotional drama. They played about with it with the Tim and Dawn storyline in the Office, but they showed how comedy/drama is done with Cemetery Junction. There is a scene in it, written by them, with no dialogue and is possibly one of the best emotional film scenes ever.
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 11:22:45
    Hindle wrote:
    Any news when it's airing btw?

It's in production now. It has the rather vague air date of Autumn.
  • Bloodloss 11 Nov 2011 03:57:17 4,497 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So did anyone else watch this then? Pretty good I thought. Not amazing, but certainly good.
  • roz123 11 Nov 2011 07:10:38 7,112 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty good, acting is poor compared to office/extras but maybe it will get better
  • Gruff 11 Nov 2011 07:20:13 3,086 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was strange,basically a dwarf version of Gervaise with all the looks to camera and speech patterns of Gervaise/Merchants writing.

Not many LOL moments and Neeson's "turn" was cringeworthy, and not in a funny way.

Hope its a grower
  • Deleted user 11 November 2011 07:44:39
    Just watched it on iplayer despite my not being a Gervais fan in the slightest I was curious to see what this new series was all about.

I agree with Gruff, the bit with WD's conversation with his wife in the kitchen was like watching a mini-Gervais with interjections and sly looks at the camera.

Thought the Laim Neeson bit was ok but over long.

The best bit was the very final clip with the dogflap.

Don't think I'll be bothering with many more, Gervais just doesn't do it for me I guess :/
  • Whizzo 11 Nov 2011 08:19:48 44,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    It was strange,basically a dwarf version of Gervaise with all the looks to camera and speech patterns of Gervaise/Merchants writing.
    That's the problem I had with it as well, the conversation between Warwick and his "wife" in the kitchen was practically a Mini-Me version of David Brent talking to someone.

Hmm, unsure about this one.
  • binky Moderator 11 Nov 2011 08:40:36 10,387 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yup mini Brent.
    Got better as it went along IMO. Thought Neeson was brilliant.
  • TheSaint 11 Nov 2011 09:21:54 15,801 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Neeson saved the episode, aside from that it was quite average. As other have said most of those lines could easily have been said by Brent.

The peripheral characters like the accountant and secretary also seemed particularly weak.
  • Blakester 11 Nov 2011 09:26:55 3,796 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm going to declare myself a big fan of Gervais and Merchant, but this left me cold.

Agree with most of what has been said, in terms of Warwick Davis just acting as if he's David Brent. The whole thing felt unnatural and badly staged, so you soon forget it's meant to be like a documentary, and it comes across as a poor sitcom.

There were a number of major misfires for me, namely having Ricky and Steve in the first episode, dragging back Barry from Eastenders and the scene in the kitchen.

Liam Neeson rescued the end, but it was telling that Ricky and Steve both felt the needed to be in that scene, as if they don't trust Warwick to carry it by himself.

I know Ricky has been hawking himself around the media the past few weeks furiously plugging the show. Maybe he doesn't have much confidence in it?
  • Deleted user 11 November 2011 09:29:49
    Trafford wrote:
    More 'highlighting' exploitation, masquerading as comedy from Gervais and Merchant.

Fixed
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous