Shmups! Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• itamae 17 Jul 2011 01:14:11 9,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Or to put it succinctly, I like side scrollers, what's good?
    What Dirtbox said, and personally I would add Last Resort to that list. It's not exactly recent, but it still looks lovely and the gameplay hasn't aged that badly either.
  • senso-ji 17 Jul 2011 01:23:29 5,858 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Or to put it succinctly, I like side scrollers, what's good?

If you have a Dreamcast (and you should if you love shmups) then Dux is a recent one worth checking out.
  • Dirtbox 17 Jul 2011 01:42:31 77,761 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Which reminds me, Kenta Cho has some pretty capable shmups. All free.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html

Sidescroller: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/tf_e.html

Topdown: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/p47_e.html
    http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/noiz2sa_e.html
    http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/ttn_e.html

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Vroom 17 Jul 2011 02:21:04 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Noiz2sa and rRootage are also available for iOS btw. !;)

Vroom

• Beetroot_Bertie 17 Jul 2011 11:49:45 292 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also for Mac:

rRootage
    Noiz2sa

A handful of others, a lot by ABA Games too
  • senso-ji 17 Jul 2011 15:55:43 5,858 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Speaking of Kenta Cho, there some decent Doujin Shooters out there worth checking out. Ok, some of them lift mechanics and designs from the more well established games, but it's still incredible to think some individual/small team out there can produce a great shmup in their spare time. Some of them are even completely free to download, and the trial versions give you at least a few levels to try out.
  • Dirtbox 17 Jul 2011 18:02:02 77,761 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aside from Cho's, I've never played any Doujins that were really worth bothering with. Dux falls into that category as well, as does Last Hope.

Do you have any recommendations?

• senso-ji 17 Jul 2011 19:09:26 5,858 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It depends on what type of shmup you're into. I personally like the bullet hell games:

Exceed 2nd
    Exceed 3rd
    Perfect Cherry Blossom
    Alternative Sphere.

If you're a fan of the 16 bit era of shooters like Super Aleste or MUSHA, then I recommend:
    Cho Ren Sha 68k
    Solid State Survivor
    Altynex Second
    Kamui
    RefleX
    Tails Gear.
  • Dirtbox 17 Jul 2011 19:14:07 77,761 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice. The Shanghai Alice shooters are a league of their own. I actually forgot they were doujin. I've already got most of them . 16bit are almost unplayable for me these days.

• MrVengeance 17 Jul 2011 23:17:52 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Oof, tough room. Calling a classic of the era above average is a little strong. But I think you're massively overrating Souk, which is only good in my book and just as repetitive, so I suppose it's gravy.

I'd take what I have to say regarding the genre with a pinch of salt! I'm a reletive newbie to shmups as I only starting buying them in earnest as year ago when I finally got my hands on an import Saturn. I still have a lot more to play, and a lot to learn about the genre.

I suppose after I play more examples, I'll be able to critically appraise these games with a little more technical knowledge, and be able to articulate that a little better. All I can say is that I enjoy the "fun" and presentation of my favourites shooters.

This is what I have, shmup-wise on the Saturn:

Radiant Silvergun
    Soukyugurentai
    Battle Garegga
    Layer Section
    DonDonPachi
    Shienryu

I'm hoping to add Batsugun to the collection later in the summer (after I get Mushihemisama Futari 1.5 and Espgaluda II on the 360). Anyone want to recommend me some other Saturn shooters? I'm going to get the Thunder Force series on the Mega Drive, but am interested in V - any thoughts?
  • senso-ji 18 Jul 2011 00:05:01 5,858 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thunder Force V is apparently the best in the series. Can't find one for an affordable price to check though :(

As to other Saturn shooters, you're spoiled for choice, but here are my recommendation:

Cotton 2
    Darius Gaiden
    Gunbird (IMHO this is better than the sequel)
    Layer Section II (I enjoyed this as much as the original)
    Salamander Delux pack
    Strikers 1945
    Time Bokan (a little different, but enjoyable)

Hyperduel looks stunning but it's way out of my budget.
  • Dirtbox 18 Jul 2011 02:09:35 77,761 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also:

Sengoku Blade
    Cotton Boomerang
    Parodius Series
    Twinbee Yahho!
    Gekirindan

Tons on the Saturn, but a lot of it is showing it's age now.

• kupocake 18 Jul 2011 08:38:42 125 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok folks, a challenge. I've just acquired a Sega Master System... not exactly reknowned for its shumup catalogue, but still knee deep in an era when these games were a lot more common. I've already ear-marked four or so titles, but I'm interested in what you guys think I should get (yes, yes 'another console' is a hilarious answer).
  • Dirtbox 18 Jul 2011 08:44:20 77,761 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Master System had pretty much nothing. Power Strike 1 and 2 and maybe Fantasy Zone 1 and 2 were okay, but it's stretching it a bit. Really crap console for shmups. Astro Warrior was sort of okay too, also not forgetting Aleste.

• senso-ji 18 Jul 2011 12:15:04 5,858 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, not many good ones on the MS; which is ironic given the fact that the other Sega home consoles had an excellent selection of Shmups. Two which stand out IMO:

Sagaia (Darius). Not a bad looking conversion.
    R-Type Again, a pretty good conversion considering the hardware its running on.
  • MrVengeance 19 Jul 2011 00:56:03 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Senso & Dirtbox

I've a few of those on the Taito 2 PS2 collection disc... must take it out again actually and give it another whirl. Been meaning to get back into PS2 gaming lately in general....

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I've look into get a Parodius and/or a Cotton title at some point soon now that you mention them.
  • Obiwanshinobi 19 Jul 2011 20:05:11 866 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrVengeance wrote:
    Anyone want to recommend me some other Saturn shooters?
    Sonic Wings Special, easily. Best value for your money on Saturn (it's very cheap for an import Saturn shmup and comes with up to 26 fighters, some of them unlockable and very, VERY varied in a good way at that). Just two conditions:
    - play it on a CRT put on its side in the Arcade screen mode (tate)
    - play it on Hard (the first stage boss makes a MASSIVE difference on Hard and then it only keeps getting better and better).
    It's just about as good on the PSX (up on the US PlayStation Store), but steer away from the retail PAL release (usual PAL convertion issues aside, you can't save in the PAL version, which means you can't keep your unlocked fighters, which basically strips the game of like a half of its content).

senso-ji wrote:
    Hyperduel looks stunning but it's way out of my budget.
    Just play Hyper Duel on MAME, where it's emulated just about perfectly. I don't really like any Thunder Force game I played, but Hyper Duel is the shit. Also, play Eliminate Down.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jul 2011 20:08:41 77,761 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I went and played Hyper Dual on Mame after reading that recommendation, it's a nice game for a side scroller. Funnily enough I'm not into the Thunderforces either although I like the look of 6. Some day I'll see if I can hunt down a copy.

• senso-ji 19 Jul 2011 20:19:00 5,858 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Doesn't Hyperduel have a special Saturn mode that looks and plays better than the arcade port? I think that's what all the collectors are after.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jul 2011 20:25:15 77,761 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apparently. Some comparison screenshots at the bottom of the page here.

• MrVengeance 19 Jul 2011 22:52:07 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Obiwanshinobi wrote:
    MrVengeance wrote:
    Anyone want to recommend me some other Saturn shooters?
    Sonic Wings Special, easily. Best value for your money on Saturn (it's very cheap for an import Saturn shmup and comes with up to 26 fighters, some of them unlockable and very, VERY varied in a good way at that). Just two conditions:
    - play it on a CRT put on its side in the Arcade screen mode (tate)
    - play it on Hard (the first stage boss makes a MASSIVE difference on Hard and then it only keeps getting better and better).
    It's just about as good on the PSX (up on the US PlayStation Store), but steer away from the retail PAL release (usual PAL convertion issues aside, you can't save in the PAL version, which means you can't keep your unlocked fighters, which basically strips the game of like a half of its content).

Sounds great. I'm going to look it up. 2 and 3 on the AES have always interested me, but both are very expensive these days. All AES carts have gone up in value over the last year or so for whatever reason.
  • senso-ji 22 Jul 2011 23:30:59 5,858 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dodonpachi Resurrection to get a European release?

Fingers crossed it'll happen.
  • MrVengeance 23 Jul 2011 20:54:29 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Absolutely fantastic if its true! Loved the iPhone version.
  • Dirtbox 4 Aug 2011 13:36:33 77,761 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As a point of interest, the new version 0.57 of the DEmul emulator is capable of playing some of the more recent Cave SH3 games. Still very unoptimised though, I'll stick to playing Ibara and Mushihimi-Sama on the PS2 for now.

• Veracity 5 Aug 2011 00:45:17 352 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Nice. The Shanghai Alice shooters are a league of their own. I actually forgot they were doujin. I've already got most of them . 16bit are almost unplayable for me these days.
    I'm only about half into Touhou apart from the camera ones, which are genius (and, yes, only tenuously shooters - I don't care). As far as pretend arcade games go, Zen-Ichi (train stage! why is there always a train stage?) is fabulous. Kind of old and import only, so you might end up needing to resort to piracy to find it. I also quite like Acceleration of Suguri, a fighter/shooter hybrid like Senko no Ronde or Virtual On in 2d. Looks like utter arse, but that doesn't hurt it too much. As in Suguri, the main gimmick is a dash that goes (sort of) safely through energy projectiles but not solid ones. You can get that on Gamersgate or PSN in English, so at least it's easy to find. I assume there's a demo.
  • MrVengeance 7 Aug 2011 20:27:20 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I finally got round to (and the funds for) placing my order for Espgaluda II and Mushihemisama Futari 1.5 the other day for the Xbox 360 - looking forward to getting them hopefully by the end of the forthcoming week.

Someone mentioned Ibara above this post.... reminded me of that double pack Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets, which is Ibara related I do believe. Its region free from what I hear. Anyone on here have it and if so, is it any good?
  • senso-ji 8 Aug 2011 01:30:23 5,858 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Muchi Muchi Pork / Pink Sweets and Bullet Soul are two 360 Shmups on my radar, but are unfortunately very hard to find for a reasonable price.

I've had Espgaluda II and Mushihimesama Futari for a few weeks now but never got round to posting my thoughts on them. Each game has it's positives and negatives, with some horrendous slow down being the main problem with one of them. Still worth while getting them if you're a shmup fan.
  • MrVengeance 9 Aug 2011 12:53:11 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm going to be picking up as much shmup goodness a I possibly can over the next few months, before Christmas. As I was saying in my dc-x topic I'm looking towards the Dreamcast now as some of its shooters look astounding - Zero Gunner 2 in particular is magnificent. Keep us up to date on your pusuit of Much and Bullet Soul! I'm interested to hear if they are worth buying. The former in particular is very pricey alright, though it does have two games on there so its probably reasonable value when you think about it.

Shmups in general really take the piss out of your wallet it has to be said, they are the most expensive types of games surely? Even more expensive than RPGs I reckon....
  • Cadence 18 Dec 2011 20:23:43 1,684 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry if this has been mentioned previously in the thread, but I just stumbled upon a freeware, gradius type game called Hydorah

It's an absolutely stunning shoot-em-up and plays like a dream. The music also has to take special mention, it's superb. It's so good I reckon I might give them some money for it.

Edited by Cadence at 20:24:36 18-12-2011
  • Page

of 6 First / Last