Dishonored Page 30

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• Vortex808 25 Oct 2012 12:39:40 6,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    Ajay wrote:
    In addition to what others have already mentioned, the game does just pop-up spawns of patrols in some areas that you'll already have cleared.
    I'm not sure they do spawn. They might do, but I've watched guards leave their route to incorporate - or sometimes switch entirely to - the area of one or more AIs that you've removed.

If there are guards not far away they're notified that no one's patrolling an area fairly quickly, and expand their routes. It's actually really bloody good if you watch them for a while.
    I noticed this too last night while playinv the first 'proper' mission. Removed a guard, heard one say 'someone should be patrolling here' and they took over.

It was very handy as it was in a nice quiet place. :)

I have now used this technique a few times in various areas of that mission and it works quite well.
  • jellyhead 25 Oct 2012 12:59:49 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had a nice chat with Mr Campbell last night. Well i say chat, i overheard him while i was wandering around his offices looting the hell out of them :)

I really wish there was an in-game stats screen though.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Stranded87 25 Oct 2012 14:41:46 850 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I've nearly finished this and have to say I'm kind of glad. It's not something that I want to abandon but I'm definitely feeling done with it. Great mechanics and decent level design, but other than getting harder the gameplay doesn't really change much (I know there's a handful of different ways you can approach things, but they're much the same in every level and I unlocked at least level one of every skill I was interested in pretty quickly, so not much has changed in that regard), many of the levels seem aesthetically a bit samey, story is dross, graphics aren't great and I don't know about anyone else but personally I spend most of the time with that look-through-walls skill on, which just makes things look even worse.
  • Stranded87 25 Oct 2012 14:42:02 850 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ajay 25 Oct 2012 20:02:31 2,412 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Dr.Haggard Some of the behaviour's pretty good, yeah - that they notice an area's devoid of guards is a great thing.

There is definitely spawning though - on the Golden Cat mission I found a particularly bad example where I could get two guards to pop out of thin air about eight feet in front of me when I walked backwards over the trigger point. Another good example is the bridge mission - it's very linear and narrow and thus easy to clear out, and backtracking from a control room to a shore point there were two fresh guards who'd found their sleeping mates who were never there before.

I'm not averse to the game bringing in reinforcements at all, far from it - I actually really like the idea that you can never be sure you're safe or there aren't more on the way - but the way the game sometimes fails to hide it or implement it is one of its weakest points, for me.

Another thought - maybe it's because I'm spending so bloody long on each level? Far longer than most, I'm sure so perhaps I'm more susceptible to noticing it.

Edited by Ajay at 20:08:51 25-10-2012
  • aeschylus 25 Oct 2012 20:23:01 446 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    any tips on this guys, just started and allready getting very frustrated, went down to a whisky distillery and got my ass handed to me, so went the other way, now in the building and I just seem to die all the time, have no health so one hit and I am toast
  • Stranded87 25 Oct 2012 20:27:02 850 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @aeschylus Depends how you're playing it, but for the most part you probably shouldn't be getting hit. Use your teleport (can't remember what any of the skills are actually called) to stay high/on rooves. Also teleport behind guards when they're facing away from you and take them down silently. Hide bodies, learn patrol routes and be patient. Only come out into the open when you're sure the coast is clear.

If you've got sleep darts don't be afraid to use them either, you can one hit enemies with them.

Basically just don't get spotted. And the two best skills I find for that are teleport and the one that lets you look through walls- so upgrade them asap.

Edited by Stranded87 at 20:29:54 25-10-2012
  • aeschylus 25 Oct 2012 20:29:30 446 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cheers mate, clearly need to change my approach as I have just been fighting in the open
  • BravoGolf Moderator 26 Oct 2012 09:32:54 12,740 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    I think I've nearly finished this and have to say I'm kind of glad. It's not something that I want to abandon but I'm definitely feeling done with it. Great mechanics and decent level design, but other than getting harder the gameplay doesn't really change much (I know there's a handful of different ways you can approach things, but they're much the same in every level and I unlocked at least level one of every skill I was interested in pretty quickly, so not much has changed in that regard), many of the levels seem aesthetically a bit samey, story is dross, graphics aren't great and I don't know about anyone else but personally I spend most of the time with that look-through-walls skill on, which just makes things look even worse.
    I agree. Although on the whole it is a surprisingly more engaging game than I expected I'm now on the second last mission and getting slightly tired of it. Beautiful game though.
  • Errol 28 Oct 2012 11:06:15 12,454 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still loving this. Any number of ways to do each mission. Just played the Solonikov mission again and deliberately missed out 90% of his house and just went onto the roof. Next time I'll do it the harder way!

Loads of replayability. I'm looking forward to the DLC now.
  • Deleted user 28 October 2012 11:38:57
    Errol wrote:
    Still loving this. Any number of ways to do each mission. Just played the Solonikov mission again and deliberately missed out 90% of his house and just went onto the roof. Next time I'll do it the harder way!

Loads of replayability. I'm looking forward to the DLC now.
    Great mission. I possessed a fish and went up the rotors at the far end. :)
  • MatMan562 28 Oct 2012 11:39:30 2,309 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I finished this last night. I really enjoyed it but I got a little annoyed towards the end. When I was told to "finish this" I assumed it would be the final mission of the game so, with a couple hours to play, I thought i'd finish it. Then, of course, they put an extra couple hours on the end.

Maybe i'm alone in this but once I think the end of a game is close I feel as though I have to finish it there and then. This made me rush the Flooded District part, not worry about killing people and forget about the Bone Charms and Runes, 3 things i'd been avoiding throughout the rest of the game. Each death made me more and more annoyed, intensifying at the Hound Pits. Eventually I switched it off and when I came back I enjoyed the final mission.

It's just a shame that that happened to me as otherwise it was a near perfect game.

I'm looking forward to playing through again, just unsure whether I should try for a ghost, no killing playthrough or try out a combat style.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Vortex808 28 Oct 2012 11:51:33 6,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    Great mission. I possessed a fish and went up the rotors at the far end. :)

Haha. I did this mission last night and thought I'd done pretty well and tried to help various other npc's too.

Guess I'm not utilising the full range of options available!

I don't get much gaming time, but this may well get a couple of playthroughs to experiment more next time out.
  • andywilkie35 28 Oct 2012 15:50:56 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Getting pretty near the end now I think - just finished mission 6.

Brilliant game - the amount and variety of routes to take through each mission is superb. Really well made.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Commander-Keen 28 Oct 2012 21:01:12 806 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    aeschylus wrote:
    any tips on this guys, just started and allready getting very frustrated, went down to a whisky distillery and got my ass handed to me, so went the other way, now in the building and I just seem to die all the time, have no health so one hit and I am toast
    As others have said, the point of the game is somewhere between Thief and Deus Ex in that stealth is king and, despite many variations in the way in which you can do things, going gung-ho and doing a Leroy Jenkins in the open is almost never a good idea.

Also, it's worth baring in mind that there are consequences to your actions and that the more people you kill, the higher your chaos rating will be, which can have an affect on a) your surroundings in later levels and b) the ending of the game!
  • Deleted user 28 October 2012 21:06:25
    Commander Keen wrote:
    aeschylus wrote:
    As others have said, the point of the game is somewhere between Thief and Deus Ex in that stealth is king and, despite many variations in the way in which you can do things, going gung-ho and doing a Leroy Jenkins in the open is almost never a good idea.

Also, it's worth baring in mind that there are consequences to your actions and that the more people you kill, the higher your chaos rating will be, which can have an affect on a) your surroundings in later levels and b) the ending of the game!
    going all out attack is only okay if A) there are not more than 2 or 3 guards in the area or B) later in the game when you are very powerful,

At first just pick your fights, if you want to be a killer just make sure you hunt them like predator. You didn't see ugly face attack the whole squad of marines in Predator now did you?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 28 Oct 2012 21:09:31 6,654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You sure you're a girl. Girls don't like predator. Bull Dyke minimum.. No offense
  • Deleted user 28 October 2012 21:23:14
    Last time I checked. Maybe it just comes from having only older brothers.
  • Commander-Keen 29 Oct 2012 09:10:55 806 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    You sure you're a girl. Girls don't like predator. Bull Dyke minimum.. No offense
    Bit racist.
  • PearOfAnguish 29 Oct 2012 09:24:00 7,137 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished it in just under 30 hours, which is pretty damn good. Shame you can't start at the beginning with all your abilities and gear though.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 29 Oct 2012 10:11:10 6,654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Bit racist.
    Yeah, the red wine was flowing last night. Sorry.
  • Vortex808 29 Oct 2012 13:51:48 6,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Did lady boyle's party and the regent missions last night. I am enjoying this game immensely.

I'm not sure I will replay it due to time constraints, so will probably sell it on, but I may well do 'a Duffman' and buy it again later if the additional campaign dlc is worth playing. :)
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 13:59:00
    Oh is that called a duffman? I do a duffman quite often.

That mission was great. Did it the non lethal way with no one at the party knowing. My favourite part was taking a risky running jump from three floors up to assassination drop a tall boy.
  • Vortex808 29 Oct 2012 14:50:35 6,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    Oh is that called a duffman? I do a duffman quite often.
    :D

Have a quick look in any his many swapsies thread for confirmation!
  • gammonbanter 29 Oct 2012 16:24:10 1,486 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tried to be non lerhal in the prison, but killed a few when discovered. Will this mean I get the darker end? To be honest, I'll try and be nice, but if it comes down to a choice between me and some kind bad guy, he's going down!

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• Deleted user 29 October 2012 16:35:27
    Darker end only if you kill often. Kill innocents and the such.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Oct 2012 16:49:09 14,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Vortex808
    :)
    ...I aim to please mate

I'm not even going to mention I just ordered another vita*...

*sold the last one about 3 months ago.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Vortex808 29 Oct 2012 17:04:41 6,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :D

It's great to know there's someone worse than me mate!
  • FanBoysSuck 29 Oct 2012 17:19:25 1,447 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finished this last night at the 25 hour mark. Really enjoyed it but the last couple of levels dragged a bit. Also, I was going for a no kills run (more for the RP aspect than the achievement) and despite not committing a single murder I still didn't get clean hands. I shouldn't be surprised really, I came across some wired bugs :(

For the emperor!

• Deleted user 29 October 2012 17:41:41
    Anyone playing Dishonored all the way through with out the joys of three floor drop assassinations, blink killing tall boys and decapitating men whilst they pee don't deserve achievement points :) Hell just the toilet move is worth more points then not killing anyone.
  • Page

of 40 First / Last