Dishonored Page 21

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• Daeltaja 13 Oct 2012 14:27:14 1,125 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    5.5hr play time and just completed the first mission. Soaking it all in, reading all of the notes and exploring every nook and cranny. This is a master class in level design, Deus Ex: HR hasn't got a touch on this.

Stunning game so far.
  • itinkuravinalaff 13 Oct 2012 14:46:58 191 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    Itink

Thanks for the help guy, but I knew about the arrow thing. I just find anything vertical with blink slightly trickier than I'd like.

EDIT:

I haven't stolen anything from Corvo's base or Granny Rags and bought some upgrades for my mask. That will mean I've not got as much money as I could, but would it make that much difference?
    You can take anything you come across, I did and wasn't deemed as stealing so grab what you can and find the runes and bone charms for upgrades.
  • CharlieStCloud 13 Oct 2012 15:20:01 5,315 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Daeltaja wrote:
    5.5hr play time and just completed the first mission.
    ... and just how on Earth did several reviews, one of which gave this the lowest score thus far, says Dishounoured takes 'around six hours' to complete?

This game is on my Christmas letter to Father Christmas, which is why I am not playing it (boo-hoo) ... yet it makes me wonder just how many reviewers simply rush through games nowadays and not, as you say, 'soak it all in' - baffles me to be honest.
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 15:28:11
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Daeltaja wrote:
    5.5hr play time and just completed the first mission.
    ... and just how on Earth did several reviews, one of which gave this the lowest score thus far, says Dishounoured takes 'around six hours' to complete?

This game is on my Christmas letter to Father Christmas, which is why I am not playing it (boo-hoo) ... yet it makes me wonder just how many reviewers simply rush through games nowadays and not, as you say, 'soak it all in' - baffles me to be honest.
    exactly, it is criminal and shouldn't be a reviewer. Im 5hours and maybe half way through level one.
  • Derblington 13 Oct 2012 15:50:19 21,939 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not going fast myself but I can see how it can be done.
  • Syrette 13 Oct 2012 16:04:33 43,857 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    yet it makes me wonder just how many reviewers simply rush through games nowadays and not, as you say, 'soak it all in' - baffles me to be honest.
    The fact they work to deadlines baffles you?

• Deleted user 13 October 2012 16:05:08
    Not feeling being stealthy anymore, blinking behind guards and executing one them crossbowing the other in the head is soooo much more fun.

The clinching moment was when I was two floors above a guard going for a wee and dropped down on him and he got his head removed mid flow.

Plus I don't feel it is very clear when you are hidden.
  • Syrette 13 Oct 2012 16:07:58 43,857 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not bothering with a completely stealth-based run, but I may attempt that if I feel the game deserves a second playthrough. By that point I'll know the levels and I'll simply drop the difficulty down if it becomes frustrating.

Anyway my biggest problem with this game is that I only started it recently, when I had a couple of hours before hand that I could have put into it.

• CharlieStCloud 13 Oct 2012 16:10:15 5,315 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    The fact they work to deadlines baffles you?
    No, I am aware of that since my job revolves around the word 'deadline' ... but it makes me wonder if reviewers are simply rushing through the game without soaking up the atmosphere, which, in effect, can be the difference between a seven, eight or nine out of ten.
  • Derblington 13 Oct 2012 17:03:08 21,939 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But it's got high scores anyway?
  • CharlieStCloud 13 Oct 2012 17:25:00 5,315 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    But it's got high scores anyway?
    *groans*

To be fair, it was not the point I was making, just the whole 'it takes around six hours' to complete and saying it is a negative point when the reviewer in question most likely just totally rushed through the game.

Anyway, I shall look forward to playing this ... am a bit boo-hoo that I can't join in the conversation.
  • Stranded87 13 Oct 2012 17:33:09 924 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    While it seems a lot longer than some people have said I'm baffled that anyone can take 5 hours+ to do level one. Granted I'm only playing on normal and i'm not going for ghost, but I am playing stealthy and exploring and my time was 2 hours if that.
  • M83J01P97 13 Oct 2012 17:36:44 6,674 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm guessing the game opens up a bit more later on? I'm on the second mission so far and it's set in the same location as the first mission was... which is a little disappointing.
  • spamdangled 13 Oct 2012 17:42:49 27,413 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    While it seems a lot longer than some people have said I'm baffled that anyone can take 5 hours+ to do level one. Granted I'm only playing on normal and i'm not going for ghost, but I am playing stealthy and exploring and my time was 2 hours if that.
    A ghost playthrough takes a lot longer than just playing a bit stealthily.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• 1Dgaf 13 Oct 2012 18:14:03 3,894 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm just trying to kill as few people as possible. I've turned off awareness markers for NPCs.

I've had a quest affecting bug, where I was able to do a non-lethal thing if I did a different thing. But it went wonky, perhaps when I decided to choke out the person I was supposed to not kill.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• lordofthedunce 13 Oct 2012 19:02:30 378 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I want to write a long piece about what's wrong with the length complaint in this game but my phone is being dick.

So I'll just add my vote to the 'this game is great' pile.
  • Syrette 13 Oct 2012 19:31:35 43,857 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Urgh.

The game CAN be completed fairly quickly. It can also take a significant amount of time to finish.

What's so hard to understand?

Edited by Syrette at 19:31:49 13-10-2012

• lordofthedunce 13 Oct 2012 19:57:22 378 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Quite.

Hope this sells a ton.
  • spamdangled 13 Oct 2012 20:29:22 27,413 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Morrowind could be completed in 3 and a half minutes.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 13 October 2012 21:13:44
    The only thing that irritates me about this is the in-game warning that tells me that more killings = darker/bad ending. It's making me fearful of killing ANYONE. If I do, I reload, unhappy with how I dealt with the current situation. It's the complete opposite of an organic experience as a direct result, that and I'm annoyed that I'm missing out on all of the cool weapons/powers and killing opportunities.

That little tit-bit of information at the bottom of the screen is ruling my play style!

I mean seriously, what is the acceptable/allowed kill ratio in this game before I tip the balance to far in the darkness' favour?
  • Syrette 13 Oct 2012 21:16:31 43,857 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @CaptainQuint

Why not just play it how you want to? You can always watch the preferred ending on YouTube when you've finished, if you don't fancy a second playthrough.

Bit different if you're an achievement hunter, for them I think it's a shame that the achievements/trophies call for such specific ways of playing the game. This will mean that people miss out as not every gamer wants to play through a singleplayer game more than once.

• Deleted user 13 October 2012 21:18:54
    The achievements are partly my problem since I'll be pissed if I miss out on the one I imagine you get if you don't kill too many people.

I have no desire to play through this twice.
  • spamdangled 13 Oct 2012 21:26:16 27,413 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the achievement list in this is brilliant actually, one of the best lists in ages. It takes into account all the various playstyles as well as requires you to think outside the box to get some of the more creative ones.

• sid92 13 Oct 2012 21:34:10 697 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am loving this game so far but everytime i go back onto the game it resets all my new key mapping, difficulty back down to normal and mouse sensitivity. The icon shows up to show its autosaving but everytime i go back on the game its back to default. Any ideas?
  • 1Dgaf 13 Oct 2012 22:11:04 3,894 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bit annoying that attaching a razor trap to a baddie detonates it. I wanted to use it like a 'kick me' sign and have unsuspecting people wander back to their comdrades.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Syrette 13 Oct 2012 22:17:46 43,857 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I think the achievement list in this is brilliant actually, one of the best lists in ages. It takes into account all the various playstyles as well as requires you to think outside the box to get some of the more creative ones.
    I didn't say the list was bad did I?

Just that it's a shame that some of the diehard cheevo hunters might play the game in a certain way, i.e. not organically and not have as fun a first playthrough as they might have. If that makes sense.

• neems 13 Oct 2012 22:48:44 1,345 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sid92 wrote:
    I am loving this game so far but everytime i go back onto the game it resets all my new key mapping, difficulty back down to normal and mouse sensitivity. The icon shows up to show its autosaving but everytime i go back on the game its back to default. Any ideas?

Mine did that at first, when I had Steam offline. When it was back up all the settings stuck.

@1Dgaf - I found loads of sleep darts in the early stages, as well as Mana potions. Granted I don't use all that much mana, as I am on an extremely methodical playthrough, and I'm quite happy to let it regenerate after each use unless I get pushed into action.

It shouldn't be too long before you find a couple of bone-charms that can help with that problem.

This is pretty... sick I guess, but kind of impressive as well -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owg5fS8IwZs

Oh and spoilers for mission 2 I guess.

Edited by neems at 00:36:13 14-10-2012
  • spamdangled 14 Oct 2012 00:46:56 27,413 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I didn't say the list was bad did I?

Just that it's a shame that some of the diehard cheevo hunters might play the game in a certain way, i.e. not organically and not have as fun a first playthrough as they might have. If that makes sense.
    True I suppose.

I was always going to ghost it though, so it hasn't really affected me :-)

• Derblington 14 Oct 2012 01:17:55 21,939 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I disagree. From what I can see, 2 playthroughs will get you everything but one of them has to be a super stealthy no killing run. I'm not sure what the creative ones are, they all seem pretty straightforward with regards to the powers.

I don't know why but I'm not loving this. There's something missing but I don't know what it is: I'm playing but I'm largely bored. The pub is a problem, I hate these little hub world quest giving locations; there's nothing there and it just breaks up the levels badly. I'm also not keen on the powers; blink is cool as its basically the only tool that lets you navigate the maps (hence it being awarded to you) but apart from that I find them either too powerful or useless.

I traded some stuff in for it so I got it for free but I'm wishing I'd gone for XCOM.
  • Errol 14 Oct 2012 02:15:22 12,512 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Absolutely STUNNING game. Art direction/setting/atmosphere best since Halflife/HL2.

Brilliant and a must buy for ALL pc gamers.

10/10.
  • Page

of 40 First / Last