Dishonored Page 20

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• Deleted user 12 October 2012 23:20:25
    Just started first mission, 3h 30 min.
    Can't be bothered to ghost, ghosted tutorial but took too much effort, think will just go will flow and do a bit of everything. Ive Maxed blink so slow time next then predator vision.
  • beastmaster 12 Oct 2012 23:24:03 11,322 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Superb game. Bioshock meets Thief.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• MatMan562 12 Oct 2012 23:24:54 2,405 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've played a few hours of this and i'm really enjoying it so far. I think i'm on the first mission but doing some side quests for Granny Rags at the moment.

I'm attempting to play as stealthy and non-lethal as possible but, if I do get spotted, I will... defend myself. Looking forward to playing more but it's going to be tough splitting my time between this, Xcom and Borderlands 2!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Dr.Haggard 12 Oct 2012 23:49:59 4,175 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    *phew*

First mission ghosted with all bone charms and runes found, and no powers used.

Now, onto the second one...
    I just couldn't stick to my plan, the temptation was too great when (1st mission spoiler) Granny Rags asked me to deal with her 'callers', and I heard what they were saying. I slipped upstairs to the balcony above them and they didn't know what hit them.

The problem is that killing is just so incredibly satisfying in this game, and with a bit of imagination you can feel like such a supernatural badass.

I'm still playing full on stealthy of course, not leaving a stone unturned or a conversation unheard and never getting spotted by the watch - I can't imagine approaching this game any other way given that it feels like a spiritual successor to Thief in so many ways - but when certain rare situations call for it I'm bringing sudden, bloody justice from the rooftops :)

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 23:59:39 12-10-2012
  • Syrette 12 Oct 2012 23:55:04 43,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, fuck forcing yourself to play the game a certain way throughout for an achievement or whatever. Save that for a second playthrough.

• spamdangled 13 Oct 2012 00:00:35 27,276 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    *phew*

First mission ghosted with all bone charms and runes found, and no powers used.

Now, onto the second one...
    I just couldn't stick to my plan, the temptation was too great when (1st mission spoiler) Granny Rags asked me to deal with her 'callers', and I heard what they were saying. I slipped upstairs to the balcony above them and they didn't know what hit them.
    I dealt with that one by going up to the balcony, dropping down, and choking the guy at the back before dragging his body to the alley. Then I hung back, and fired a couple of sleep bolts at the others, before dumping them in the same alley.

I'm pretty OCD about ghosting this, so I'm reloading whenever I even think someone has detected me. I have learned that the dramatic strings that play on the soundtrack don't actually mean you've alerted someone. Until all three bars above their head go red and they start shouting, you're safe as houses as they are just "suspicious". You can use this to your advantage to lure them into dark alleys

Dogs are giving me some trouble though. Only way I've found of dealing with them so far is to hang back and take out the dog at range with a sleep bolt before waiting for the guard to come down. If there was a way to separate the two of them without using ammo (say, by using drugged meat and leaving it in the way of patrol), somehow that would feel a bit neater to me. There's loads of food around the world, so it would be nice if you could use a sleep bolt to drug it then use it as a tool.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Dr.Haggard 13 Oct 2012 00:07:54 4,175 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Yeah, fuck forcing yourself to play the game a certain way throughout for an achievement or whatever. Save that for a second playthrough.
    Good god no, I couldn't give a stuff about achievements or anything, but I did want to challenge myself to ghosting as much as possible since it's a satisfying and tense way to play.

As it turns out there are other aspects of Dishonored that are so well realised and so enjoyable that I can't resist mixing it up a bit.

I rarely truly ghosted in Thief either, since I loved water arrows. And yes, very rarely an innocent taffer might occasionally wind up with an arrow through his throat...

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 00:08:25 13-10-2012
  • Dr.Haggard 13 Oct 2012 00:12:42 4,175 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I dealt with that one by going up to the balcony, dropping down, and choking the guy at the back before dragging his body to the alley. Then I hung back, and fired a couple of sleep bolts at the others, before dumping them in the same alley.

I think that's stretching the definition of ghosting a bit, but well played for sticking to the no deaths playthrough. I just can't resist the occasional blink ambush now :)

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 00:14:00 13-10-2012
  • spamdangled 13 Oct 2012 00:16:49 27,276 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

I think that's stretching the definition of ghosting a bit, but well played for sticking to the no deaths playthrough. I just can't resist the occasional blink ambush now :)

They weren't alerted to my presence and I still got the tick for ghosting :-)

The definition of ghosting I've always gone for is that it's ok to do anything non-lethal. Where you break the Ghost is when you raise the alarm.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:17:25 13-10-2012

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:18:55 13-10-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Dr.Haggard 13 Oct 2012 00:24:21 4,175 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I guessed the game is defining it as not being detected. From the Thief days true ghosting, as I always understood it at least, was leaving no sign that you'd been there, so unconscious guards and even doused lamps were out.

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 00:25:29 13-10-2012
  • spamdangled 13 Oct 2012 00:28:25 27,276 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    See, back when I played Thief 2 the definition was just "no kills, no alerts", and that does seem to be the common definition these days.

No unconscious guards? That would make the game impossible in something like this...

• Dr.Haggard 13 Oct 2012 00:34:26 4,175 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Agreed, it would be incredibly difficult. And probably not much fun.
  • spamdangled 13 Oct 2012 00:39:15 27,276 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I still wish the game had an Iron Man mode. No reloads, save file deleted after death. Would really be worth the challenge.

Hell, more games in general need an IronMan mode.

• richardiox 13 Oct 2012 01:13:01 5,579 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow this is amazing. Only about an hour in (thanks to getting XCom today too) but the attention to detail, setting and art style is blowing me away. It feels like it felt exploring City 17 for the first time. Gorgeous to look at too - that lighting is lovely.
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 08:39:18
    Hmmm had something terrible happen that has not happened for many a year. Went to bed after playing dishonored and couldn't sleep! Was in dishonored world still, was soooo annoying. Won't play before bed again. Guess it says a lot for the quality.
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 08:49:47
    @richardiox yes, definitely a city 17 feel to it despite obvious differences. Graffiti on the walls with resistance propaganda, walkways across buildings, erie feel. Being a hunted man is of course no coincidence it feels similar I suppose. Oh I forgot the announcements over intercom and the walkers/striders, obviously. I love it.

Edited by Apostle at 08:51:04 13-10-2012
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 09:01:02
    I've been reading everything as well, like to enrich the world.
  • 1Dgaf 13 Oct 2012 10:49:03 3,798 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't know how far through I am - next mission to do is the Golden Cat one - but Ive not got much money and only two mana potions. So, it's a bit hard to experiment with my powers; bend time has hardly been touched,

Also, the blink icon is a bit annoyijng, both in placement on a ledge when I want to climb up and gauging distance. I think it's something to do with the tendrils coming outnofnthetop and bottom.

Is there any way to knock people out without killling the in regular combat?

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• spamdangled 13 Oct 2012 11:02:23 27,276 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sleep bolt?

Something like a cosh would have been nice though.

Edited by darkmorgado at 11:04:19 13-10-2012

• 1Dgaf 13 Oct 2012 11:07:04 3,798 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry, I should have clarified - any way without the sleep bolt. Because I have no money, I can't afford them and normally find standard bolts in the world.

I Am enjoying it, I played for several hours straight, but so far it feels like I'm being kept from doing what I want and not for great reasons.

• itinkuravinalaff 13 Oct 2012 11:14:50 191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The blink icon will show moving upward arrows when pointing to ledges or anywhere indicating you will climb!
  • spamdangled 13 Oct 2012 11:16:47 27,276 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @1Dgaf

No, I don't think so. I agree it does seem like an oversight.

@itinkuravinalaff

Youve only just noticed that?

• itinkuravinalaff 13 Oct 2012 11:17:22 191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Aim slightly above reticle, bit of trial and error and you will suss it!
  • itinkuravinalaff 13 Oct 2012 11:20:38 191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @1Dgaf

No, I don't think so. I agree it does seem like an oversight.

@itinkuravinalaff

Youve only just noticed that?
    I'm helping 1Dgaf!
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 11:28:52
    revan8 wrote:
    I've been reading everything as well, like to enrich the world.
    There is quite a lot to read too. What with the posters and audio machines its a lot to get immersed in.

I find the blink icon is to pale, its hard to see when there is an arrow or otherwise. Could have been designed better.
  • itinkuravinalaff 13 Oct 2012 11:30:13 191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I must have killed about 400 or more, even maids who ran for help i'm sorry to say! Very enjoyable though!
  • monkehhh 13 Oct 2012 11:31:04 3,294 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wasn't too sure with the opening section but now I'm in the first mission proper - this game's a bit good innit. Blinking around, stabbing necks, pinching keys. Love the whaling world they've created too.
  • 1Dgaf 13 Oct 2012 11:34:41 3,798 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Itink

Thanks for the help guy, but I knew about the arrow thing. I just find anything vertical with blink slightly trickier than I'd like.

EDIT:

I haven't stolen anything from Corvo's base or Granny Rags and bought some upgrades for my mask. That will mean I've not got as much money as I could, but would it make that much difference?

Edited by 1Dgaf at 11:37:36 13-10-2012

Edited by 1Dgaf at 11:43:39 13-10-2012

• itinkuravinalaff 13 Oct 2012 11:39:59 191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    Wasn't too sure with the opening section but now I'm in the first mission proper - this game's a bit good innit. Blinking around, stabbing necks, pinching keys. Love the whaling world they've created too.
    Your in for a treat because each section of the game world had me taking time out to admire and wow!
  • 1Dgaf 13 Oct 2012 13:55:08 3,798 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, Blink is starting to piss me off. I restarted a level three times because I couldn't teleport to a ceiling light. It was right in front of me. Anything horizontal on a single plane - no need to move upwards - is fine. But if I want to 'flow' across the landscape, I'm not just moving on a single plane.

They need to do something to it, whether it's adding a different colour to the climbing icon, making it more forgiving in targeting...just something. Because it's an interruption in enjoyment and pulls you out of the experience.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 13:57:47 13-10-2012

• Page

of 40 First / Last