Dishonored Page 17

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• 1Dgaf 11 Oct 2012 18:17:51 3,976 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the detailed response.

There's going to be a conflict between marketing and dev. That's understandable. But it seems that the industry - at least the money side - is moving towards a model that is tempted by F2P and compulsion loops and whatnot. And we can see aspects of it creeping into games at the moment - with microtransactions and such.

So, I think it's a valid concern that, when people have an incentive to alter gameplay or levelling rates, that might affect the player.

That's not a conspiracy theory, that's looking how human and commerce work. Shit rolls downhill. It would be remiss of gamers not to consider it.

I'm glad you acknowledged my point about items being able to affect gameplay. Now, it's a complex subject but one way to think of it is 'don't add any ambuity or annoyance to the result'.

I think we've all had the experience of dying in an MP game and wondering if the guy got the kill because he was better or if it was lag. That lag thing niggles; it fucks people off. It's ambiguity and the sense of annoyance he shouldn't have got the kill.

WIth microtransactions and paid unlocks, you add ambiguity. And that ambguity .. it calls the whole point of playing into question.

Now, contrary to what you might think, on EG and Twitter and the podcast I'm always thinking about ways that the industry can have its unlocks and still keep people like me happy. For example, if BF had 'No microtransaction' servers and leaderboards, I might keep playing.

Because there'd be no ambiguity.

EDIT:

If you know how many individual accounts are playing a game, you can compare that to units shipped/sold and from there you can work out, if not the type of player, at least numbers of people that played before vs goty sales and players.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 18:34:15 11-10-2012

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• DUFFMAN5 11 Oct 2012 18:27:33 15,408 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Like Bioshock you say Duff? Excellent news. My shopto copy is on 'the pile' as I type.

Just about to collect my code from shopto and get it added.

:D
    Indeed mate. You will get a lot of enjoyment from it...if you have time what with Borderlands 2 and Gears nights ;)

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 18:27:42 11-10-2012

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Vortex808 11 Oct 2012 18:48:29 7,583 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am going to try to avoid borderlands tonight.

I know I will spend hours roaming the areas for stuff to loot/explore on this. It's almost a requirement in my gaming/rpg behaviour.

It's a wonder I don't have ocd!

Edited by Vortex808 at 18:48:57 11-10-2012
  • Dr.Haggard 11 Oct 2012 19:29:06 4,256 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Only had time for about an hour and half so far but it's brilliant. Very atmospheric, looks beautiful on PC, and everything about it is extremely well polished. You can feel its pedigree and inspirations everywhere from the mantling mechanic to the notes you find and the scrawled graffiti on the walls, and much more. It's a world apart from being dumped into a later level on the console version in a busy hall at the expo.

I almost ghosted the first proper level but ended up choking a couple of guards near the end. No one dead yet though and that's my plan, but who knows when things open up a bit.
  • spamdangled 11 Oct 2012 19:35:25 27,466 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ghosted the tutorial. Took me quite a while actually; I explored every nook and cranny I could find but still ended up missing around 200 gold.

Just started the first mission. If anyone has already done this yet, if I'm going for the "Mostly Flesh and Steel" achievement ("You finished the game without purchasing any supernatural powers or enhancements, besides Blink"), does anyone know if it also precludes the use of Bone Charms, or are those ok?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 20:11:59
    Completed Borderlands 2, Traded it for 30 credit note (I'll rebuy it GOTY with all DLC) will buy Dishonoured for 38, complete it and trade it, then buy it again when it's GOTY edition comes out.

Both games are going to have such massive amounts of wallet raping DLC, it's just not worth the cost or HDD space.
  • monkehhh 11 Oct 2012 20:16:09 3,516 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Prison guards are a bit stupid - to say they're a prison guard, they don't really care about spotting someone skulking about with a gun and sword.
  • shamblemonkee 11 Oct 2012 20:19:08 14,655 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    from another forum...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xN3MOK9xWL0
  • docrob 11 Oct 2012 20:37:35 326 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My Amazon order of this (and X-Com) shipped today. Should be here tomorrow, and I'm off work :D

The only problem is that there's an INSERT day for my kids' teachers tomorrow, so they'll both be home all day and I won't get to play at all. Then my wife will get home from her trip away right after I get them off to bed :(
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 20:53:39
    Am quite excited for this game, I know little about it though, which makes it better in a way. Trying to skim read posts to not pick up too much detail, just the general positively, sounds good.

Any idea how much I may get at blockbuster for fifa 13?
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 21:04:38 44,957 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The advert on the side doesn't half devalue this with the comments:

Like a painting in motion
    So, like a cartoon then.

Winner of over 50 E3 awards
    Makes them sound like confetti.

Game of the year contender
    Yeah, kinda every game is game of the year contender when you think about it...

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• PrivateFloyd 11 Oct 2012 21:11:51 4,189 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Apostle

you get 33 at Game or Gamestation up until the 18th.

Goat is hungry.....

• neems 11 Oct 2012 21:23:43 1,457 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @shamblemonkee

Holy shit what was that? I've been playing for hours and I had no idea.
  • shamblemonkee 11 Oct 2012 21:29:40 14,655 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-Mc3SA9sKGU
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 21:37:19
    @PrivateFloyd that's pretty Damn good considering I bought it for 35. I can't get to the nearest game for a while though, I hope blockbuster matches it, or at least close. Thanks for the tip.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 22:30:46
    @Apostle lazy boy. I guess going to ten miles down the road would be pointless though as if blockbuster o...never mind.
  • beastmaster 11 Oct 2012 22:32:47 11,993 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got this through today but it's my first time on-rota ever having to keep an eye on stuff at work via home PC.

Which means I can't really relax. I want to give this game lots of attention without any distractions. So, tomorrow night it is! I've been played a few demos I've downloaded that won't really bother me if I have to sort shit out as it were.

People seem to be loving it. A game to savour and enjoy!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• thesonglessbird 11 Oct 2012 23:26:58 196 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loving what I've played so far. Didn't think I'd like it prior to the reviews (the gameplay videos I'd seen left me cold), but it's really pretty great.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 23:41:35
    @revan8 lazy?! Mods please ban this person, they are virtually attacking me with mean words!

True though! :-) Its going to rain in the morning tomorrow, I have my excuses all lined up.
  • Vortex808 12 Oct 2012 00:22:37 7,583 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was going to give this a go tonight, then got carried away with borderlands 2.

Hopefully try it out on saturday. /o\
  • spamdangled 12 Oct 2012 01:35:50 27,466 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think this might be worth an Ironman Very Hard Ghost playthrough...

Just for the crack.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• drhcnip 12 Oct 2012 06:38:08 2,651 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5
    ah, can it be played 'gung-ho', as it were?

i had the impressions, from what little i'd read, that it was more stealth-based...which becomes an instant no-play for me

the bioshock/singularity mention piques my interest as well

Edited by drhcnip at 06:38:19 12-10-2012
  • monkehhh 12 Oct 2012 06:50:45 3,516 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @drhcnip You could murder lots of people (you have a gun, sword, crossbow and super powers), or no people. The world is worth exploring (don't just run to each objective marker), but there's nothing to stop you killing everything as you explore :)
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 06:52:51
    @Apostle can't see if its raining. Can't believe I have to work for 11 hours today before I get to play. Tempted to go sick but that would be irresponsible :)
  • drhcnip 12 Oct 2012 06:57:57 2,651 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @monkehhh

cheers, my interest in this is rising...
  • Tuffty 12 Oct 2012 07:06:42 1,746 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got my copy yesterday from ShopTo. Pretty cool so far, though I haven't played as much as I would like (damn work). I will say this though, you can really mess up someone's day with the pistol. A guard rushed towards me and I pulled out the pistol and took a shot. It kicked like a mule, the guard was immediately down and above all else it was loud.
  • bbvDJC 12 Oct 2012 07:52:28 1,766 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have work til three then to go pick up my copy. Excited!
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Oct 2012 08:43:07 15,408 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    @DUFFMAN5
    ah, can it be played 'gung-ho', as it were?

i had the impressions, from what little i'd read, that it was more stealth-based...which becomes an instant no-play for me

the bioshock/singularity mention piques my interest as well
    Morning Tony
    I'm playing it 80/20 full on murder death kill. I'm only at the start of the 2nd proper mission. The people that are going for Ghost and no kills, will have their work cut out... I killed 53 guards on mission 2. No way will I'm be ghosting anything ;)

Not to mention the dog and NCP slayings

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 08:43:54 12-10-2012

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Murbs 12 Oct 2012 08:47:36 22,589 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 the NPCs get hit by my sleep darts(and dumped in a skip).
  • Page

of 40 First / Last