Dishonored Page 11

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• Ultrasoundwave 9 Oct 2012 08:30:52 3,300 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone else done a Shopto pre-order?

Any chance they'll start sending them out today or is it more likely to be tomorrow??

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• beastmaster 9 Oct 2012 08:36:42 11,417 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If it's out on Friday, you'll get it Thursday. You should be getting the emails through pretty soon from them.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• StarchildHypocrethes 9 Oct 2012 08:39:16 25,862 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've looked into my Shopto crystal ball and it says "you seem to ask this every time, shouldn't you know by now?"
  • sickpuppysoftware 9 Oct 2012 08:43:53 1,329 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes I've looked into my Shopto crystal ball and with their current "issues" I'd say tomorrow or possibly not at all or maybe you'll get a copy of FIFA.

< Not at all bitter that they still haven't managed to refund me the correct amount for the order that their system decided it couldn't be bothered actually fulfilling

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• Ultrasoundwave 9 Oct 2012 09:02:23 3,300 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I've looked into my Shopto crystal ball and it says "you seem to ask this every time, shouldn't you know by now?"
    You'd think so, however my last few orders have all been different : i got Mass Effect 3 and Sleeping Dogs two days before release, but i got Borderlands 2 and FIFA one day before.

Not sure why some games arrive earlier than others?, hoping this one shows up soon.....

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• thedaveeyres 9 Oct 2012 09:08:35 11,061 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shopto will dispatch today.

I HAVE SPOKEN.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• spamdangled 9 Oct 2012 09:09:34 27,355 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I guess it just depends on how busy they are. They normally charge Tuesday, Dispatch Wednesday for a Thursday delivery but occasionally you might get it earlier than that.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Toonster 9 Oct 2012 09:42:30 6,842 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sat in on my mate playing this for the first few hours. Enjoying it so far, and has some pretty cool mechanics. Some of the artistic design choices irked me, but it's a really beautiful-looking game overall. I didn't even know this game existed until yesterday.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• Lotos8ter 9 Oct 2012 09:51:37 2,359 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Toonster wrote:Some of the artistic design choices irked me
    I saw a Victorian/Germanic streetscene complete with air conditioning units on building wall in the Giantbomb quicklook. I suppose they needed places for the character to "blink" to, but it jarred a wee bit for me too.

Fiat Lux

• Murbal 9 Oct 2012 09:55:37 22,220 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well done Simply Games!

Dishonored dis early \o/
  • DUFFMAN5 9 Oct 2012 10:00:49 14,680 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Murbal
    nice one ;)
    Early thoughts please...when you get a chance of course.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Vortex808 9 Oct 2012 10:20:56 7,144 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wow, Murbal that's early.

I have mine pre-paid with shopto, so thursday should be fine, but on american relaese day, that's good going!
  • Murbal 9 Oct 2012 10:30:45 22,220 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh! Back of the box - 'Game in English. Manual in English. Not for supply in the UK'
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 10:42:57
    Who wants to buy this for me?
  • DUFFMAN5 9 Oct 2012 10:50:47 14,680 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    efebayor wrote:
    Who wants to buy this for me?
    If you buy me ACIII...

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 9 October 2012 11:23:50
    No deal.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 11:57:45
    @Goodfella I hate you.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 12:10:13
    I know where I ordering from for now on.
  • NotSoSlim 9 Oct 2012 12:19:32 3,124 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Been playing this morning through the beauty of VPN. My God it's absolutely stunning. You can tell Viktor Antonov (HL2) has been at work here. :D
    VPN for me probably tomorrow now. Mrs over :-(
  • Dr.Haggard 9 Oct 2012 14:18:18 4,205 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've now seen articles on two different sites explaining how to play Dishonored, and why there are some reports of very short playthrough times. I'm sure there'll be more before the week's out.

Either this is a depressing reflection on the motivations and attention span of today's gamers, or Arkane are to blame for making direct aggression a viable, even easy, approach to the whole game.

I don't recall reading magazine articles at the time of Thief:TDP's release urging people not to spoil the experience by trying to play it like Quake, because direct combat simply wasn't a viable option to every (any?) scenario in Thief.

So should Arkane have bothered trying to make the shooter approach viable? If it's just going to bypass all their hard work and spoil the experience then they either had a lot more work to do to make it more difficult/involved/not a content shortcut or maybe they needed to resist those pressures (the same ones that derailed Bioshock so far from Irrational's original vision).

I guess these days if you want console gamer's money the latter simply isn't an option, but perhaps it's backfiring a bit already.

Then again for all I know maybe they wanted running and shooting/stabbing your way through the game to be a viable tactic all along, but just didn't have the time or the ideas to make it provide as good or as long an experience as the other options.
  • agparrot 9 Oct 2012 14:45:48 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    Toonster wrote:Some of the artistic design choices irked me
    I saw a Victorian/Germanic streetscene complete with air conditioning units on building wall in the Giantbomb quicklook. I suppose they needed places for the character to "blink" to, but it jarred a wee bit for me too.
    This clash of the old and the new is part of the themes of the game, though, with the new power source offering rapid technology advances leading to jarring new buildings, machines and devices against the archaic backdrop of the old, decaying city. It is my understanding that this serves as something of an underpinning motif for the universe and backstory, too.

Not sure what to make of all the speed-run stuff. Presumably these people are playing it on normal difficulty, like a shooter, and I suppose there is nothing you can do about that. I switched the demo difficulty at the expo to Hard, and it certainly meant I died a couple of times, and there was a REALLY HARD difficulty level above that which I did not attempt.

I don't really like it when any developers have to say 'You're playing it wrong', as this always strikes me as being a problem at the design/development end rather than the player end. Perhaps from a sales point of view they had to offer a package that would be approachable by people who do not like a challenge.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 14:48:07
    How is it bad? It is choice. Sleeping dogs I could rush in ten hours but I enjoyed it for 23. Batman I could finish is 6 but played 20. Witcher I could complete in 12 but played 40.

A action junky completes dishonored in 6? I will love my 20 hours.
  • SuperBas 9 Oct 2012 14:50:55 1,453 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am still waiting for the pc version in my mailbox. Anyone know if it matters a lot if you play it with a controller instead of keyboard and mouse?
  • shamblemonkee 9 Oct 2012 14:55:22 14,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, the RPS article irked me a bit. It's a sandpit game but you should only play it one way?!

Is game length now a measure of enjoyment?

From my previous experience with games of this sort i know that despite my best intentions there will come a time when I have had enough of skulking around and fed up of chasing collectible and just want to 'see the world burn' as it were.

in games where you're given a toolset and a world ot use it upon in the way you see fit i often find the most enjoyment from creating humourous, or chaotic situations and then using the tools to escape or resolve them.

I can't help but feel that warning people off to play it in a specific way is either highliting an area where the game is deficient or failing to realise others might enjoy it more played another way.

to warn people that playing it one way over another will drastically reduce playtime to a level that might come across as being ripped off is fair enough, forewarned is forearmed but feel uneasy about being asked to play in a certain way.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 14:58:50 09-10-2012
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 15:01:32
    Also if it is easy to complete in 5 or so hours if you are play it as an action game surely turning it to the hardest setting would change that?

I will play it on hard but am also going to be like ninja not terminator
  • Dr.Haggard 9 Oct 2012 15:02:42 4,205 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    I don't really like it when any developers have to say 'You're playing it wrong', as this always strikes me as being a problem at the design/development end rather than the player end. Perhaps from a sales point of view they had to offer a package that would be approachable by people who do not like a challenge.
    Yeah, this was my point. It strikes me as ridiculous that there are articles popping up explaining that people are 'doing it wrong', and my question was should Arkane have gone the extra mile to make that approach suck less (which would mean virtually making two games, or making combat much harder, which would then just frustrate players who'd been told it was a viable option and want to play it that way) or should they have resisted the desire and/or pressure to include it altogether?

Or as revan8 said should it just be accepted that it's a player choice, which on the face of it can never be a bad thing? Though I do think there's a big difference between this and an open world game where you can just ignore side quests and distractions if you want to, in which case it's obvious you're skipping content and the game won't last as long.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 15:04:56
    i have not read the articles, are they saying "dont play it as a action game" ??

Edited by revan8 at 15:05:09 09-10-2012
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 9 Oct 2012 15:06:14 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How I'm intending to play it tbh. I don't like the idea of blink.
  • shamblemonkee 9 Oct 2012 15:07:17 14,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/dishonored-length/

...there is one complaint that may reach a crescendo in short order, and that is the issue of length. For me, Dishonored was a deliciously long game, clocking in at about 25 hours even without the total replay I intend on having very soon. For someone else Ė someone who has a lot of numbers in the name they use when playing Halo 4, say Ė it will be insultingly short. It may not even make a double figures quantity of hours. Thatís not the gameís fault, itís theirs (or, perhaps, the fault of the marketeers who sold the game as an action opus). They gobbled the onion up whole, too greedy or too lazy or too accustomed to inflexible fare to peel apart its layers.
  • Page

of 40 First / Last