Dishonored Page 10

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 16:30:31 3,791 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You don't know of any designer that's done that. That's OK. Are you suggesting that fiancial incentives have no effect on human behaviour?

As to your second point, are you stating that a weapon or an unlock never has any effect on the outcome of an encounter?

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• El_MUERkO 8 Oct 2012 16:32:58 16,970 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It doesn't look like fluff to me, in a game where you use abilities to play the way you want to play they've kept back some abilities.
  • ronuds 8 Oct 2012 16:43:58 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I mean, in the overall scheme of things, it's not earth shattering. But I agree with 1Dgaf and the only way to stop this sort of thing is not to buy it.

Today it's a small, seemingly insignificant buff. But tomorrow... who knows what.

Selling unlocks for an MP game is also terrible. You're assuming earning those unlocks is meaningless to people. It's like giving away college degrees for doing nothing.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Oct 2012 16:48:34 25,519 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Unlocks in MP games are meaningful?

Like degrees?

I think some people need to get out more.
  • thedaveeyres 8 Oct 2012 16:52:10 10,810 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having just revisited the list on the last page to see which enormous game-changing exclusives I'm missing out on, it's hard not to escape the conclusion that playing without any of the bonuses is the way it's intended to be played. Funny that.

They are basically cheat codes - you remember them? PRemium rate phone line? Back of the manual? Still... this is different eh?

Edited by thedaveeyres at 16:55:30 08-10-2012

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• ronuds 8 Oct 2012 16:55:30 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    People play games like BF for hours upon hours for those unlocks. Might not matter to you or me, but it does for some.

Obviously a degree and MP unlock aren't one in the same! I was comparing things that require time and effort.
  • Derblington 8 Oct 2012 16:56:39 21,478 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    College degreeslol

It's actually exactly like awarding unlocks for playing the SP game, or the co-op, or as rewards for a veteran program. It's giving you content for doing something else, which in the case of paid unlocks, it's being at work, or with family, or whatever else you do in your real life.

edit: What'd be the difference if the game gave people the option to unlock whatever they want at the click of a button, for free, or opt in to rank and unlock it all?

None, except to unlock right now you pay. That freedom of choice is still there though.

Edited by Derblington at 17:05:46 08-10-2012
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 17:00:13
    ronuds wrote:
    Selling unlocks for an MP game is also terrible. You're assuming earning those unlocks is meaningless to people. It's like giving away college degrees for doing nothing.
    You're right, those two things are essentially the same thing.
  • Tuffty 8 Oct 2012 17:00:45 1,534 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's unfair to beat the developers over the pre-order stuff when it's not their decision, but rather that of the publishers. And while stuff like this is never welcome, it sounds like minor upgrades. Rather that than actual gameplay content being whored out.

Really glad to hear this has got great reviews. Considering I finished Witcher 2 last night, it means I can get this on Fri with no hesitation :)
  • RedSparrows 8 Oct 2012 17:02:28 22,241 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I dislike it for the fact it just makes things needlessly tiring when searching for pre-orders etc etc. I am with 1dgaf, minus hyperbole and effort.
  • Derblington 8 Oct 2012 17:06:45 21,478 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do what I do, buy it from the cheapest or closest/fastes. That's all that matters.
  • ronuds 8 Oct 2012 17:07:05 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    College degreeslol

It's actually exactly like awarding unlocks for playing the SP game, or the co-op, or as rewards for a veteran program. It's giving you content for doing something else, which in the case of paid unlocks, it's being at work, or with family, or whatever else you do in your real life.

edit: What'd be the difference if the game gave people the option to unlock whatever they want at the click of a button, for free, or opt in to rank and unlock it all?

None, except to unlock right now you pay. That freedom of choice is still there though.
    It isn't actually like any of those things. Because I have kids, I deserve to be able to buy something completely unrelated to that which others had to earn? Most people I know buy games for the challenge.

For the right price, they're saying you don't have to earn anything with their games. It's all for sale. Which is fine, but completely misses the point of why people play games. The "press x to win" attitude, except in this case it's "pay me to win."

And good grief about the degree comment. No, I don't think they're of equal importance. Point somewhat went over people's heads, I guess.

Edited by ronuds at 17:09:41 08-10-2012
  • Derblington 8 Oct 2012 17:13:13 21,478 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is it missing the point? What about people who play to unwind, or purely for entertainment.

The challenge comes from the combat encounters, PvP, not the ranking/unlocking. That's just time played. As soon as one person has it, essentially everyone has it as you can pick up dropped kits anyway. It only matters if the unlocks are better ratehr than catering to other playstyles. Why should anyone have to suffer elements they are uncomfortable with, just because someone else wants to?

edit: And it's not about deserving anything, it's just about freedom of choice to have the game be accessible to your playstyles. You'll never be able to tell anyone who has bought them, in-game, so how does it break any systems or ruin anything for anyone?

Edited by Derblington at 17:19:52 08-10-2012
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Oct 2012 17:29:43 25,519 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GMG keys seem to have been released. I didn't get an email, but I have a Dishonored key sat in my account.
  • ronuds 8 Oct 2012 17:38:36 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In the end, there's really no "need" for it. It takes away from the overall integrity of the MP, imo. Unlocks do very much matter (in terms of gaming, not life... just in case!).

Plenty of MP games have unlocks and don't let you pay to have them - and people with and without families enjoyed them all the same.
  • joeymoto108 8 Oct 2012 19:20:59 641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just preordered off of GMG, 25% off the PC download with the voucher thing on the front of their site, bringing the total to 22.50. Bargain :D

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• agparrot 8 Oct 2012 19:28:20 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    Really glad to hear this has got great reviews. Considering I finished Witcher 2 last night, it means I can get this on Fri with no hesitation :)
    Ah, that was it! Witcher 2 is the other thing I've been playing recently that has a lot of interlinked systems - magic, swords, traps, thrown items... and it was something else that was called to mind when I played the Dishonored demo - that combination of things in your right hand, things in your left hand and powers you've selected. It felt brilliant, and complex and satisfying.

I think the pre-order bonuses are stupid though. I'm very happy if it helps the publishers and retailers paste over the horrific cracks in their relationship left by their animosity over second hand sales, but as a buyer I don't quite understand why I get different things from different points of sale.

As with Red Dead Redemption, I wouldn't have wanted to use any bonuses anyway - I like to challenge myself with single player stuff, generally. With Red Dead though, generally the bonuses were just speeding you towards things you could get with longer play, but in Dishonored it looks like the ONLY way that I can eat white rats to regenerate Mana is to order from the GAME group. Similarly, ordering from Amazon would give me a health bonus in drop-down attacks, and these things are specifically rewarding me for playing in a certain way, or perhaps even punishing me for playing another way, because I did not order from one of the other retailers that would have rewarded me for that play style.

If the bonuses really don't make any difference, if they really are trivial, meaningless little bits of fluff, then why introduce them at all?

Don't get me wrong, the game looks great, and I'd be buying it in a flash if I wasn't stony broke. This pre-order differentiation certainly isn't a reason for me not buying it, but it is something that makes me less unhappy about not picking it up on day one.
  • ronuds 8 Oct 2012 20:03:44 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @agparrot - not a public demo - right?
  • psychokitten Moderator 8 Oct 2012 20:08:20 7,794 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At the Expo
  • ronuds 8 Oct 2012 20:14:18 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's what I figured. :/
  • bbvDJC 8 Oct 2012 20:26:24 1,710 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is it this Friday it's out?
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 20:28:28
    yes
  • bbvDJC 8 Oct 2012 20:31:44 1,710 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's come around quickly, pretty happy now. Looking forward to this!
  • xxblindmonkeyxx 8 Oct 2012 20:32:24 248 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tubes wrote:
    the_dudefather wrote:
    xxblindmonkeyxx wrote:
    If anyone has preordered on GMG have you received your pre load code as of yet?
    nooooope

Not until release day according to them
    Weird, I have just bought it from GMG and got a key to activate in Steam straight away.
    Yea got mine tonight!
  • the_dudefather 8 Oct 2012 20:37:19 9,266 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got my key too, guess they were cleared by the publisher to release them early!

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• itinkuravinalaff 8 Oct 2012 21:16:41 191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Im gana kill everyone that gets in my way!!
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 21:25:43
    I know what is going to happen, I'm going to.try be super stealth but will mess up and end up killing everyone.
  • itinkuravinalaff 9 Oct 2012 00:16:56 191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Iv just ordered this with SimplyGames 32.85! Im going to have fun with the freeze time and blink tele:)
  • fletch7100 9 Oct 2012 07:54:43 7,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    20 min video gameplay here

Game Informer Test Chamber
  • Page

of 40 First / Last