Dishonored Page 7

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• NotSoSlim 7 Oct 2012 19:22:27 3,116 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    heavy_salad wrote:
    @NotSoSlim PC as it's about half the price for me. I don't have a great PC, but I imagine it'll be good enough to make it look better than my PS3 does.
    Yea i great PC so probably that version
  • Derblington 7 Oct 2012 19:35:25 21,259 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    hello_fi wrote:
    Can we keep this shit out of this thread please?

Game is being spoken about as a potential game of the year and there's a discussion about something totally irrelevant. Fuck sake.
    There's not a huge amount to say about it that hasn't already been said a week before release. The interesting discussion will come when people have actually played it.
  • Syrette 7 Oct 2012 19:35:44 43,055 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @revan8

AC works because it's simple enough for anyone to do the simple stuff but there are more complex moves and abilities to do if you so wish.

And what do you really expect? When you run and jump IRL do you do complex manoeuvres? Or do you run in a direction and then jump when your decide to? It should be a case of only using one button and a directional control.

Edited by Syrette at 19:36:37 07-10-2012

• StarchildHypocrethes 7 Oct 2012 19:41:12 25,389 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The proper non-dumbed down way would be for the LT/RT to represent each leg and the LB/RB to represent each arm, and you then pump each with the correct timing to make Ezio run.

Instead we get this dumbed down analogue stick bullshit.
  • monkehhh 7 Oct 2012 19:43:44 3,266 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Liberal clique control system bullshit.
  • agparrot 7 Oct 2012 20:13:53 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, I'll throw in my two-penneth from my play at the expo. Weirdly my first impression of what I didn't like about it was summed up by psychokitten a couple of pages ago - the Field of View makes it seem almost claustrophobic on the 360 version.

At first I thought this was a bad thing, because you were constantly having to adjust your view to take in all the things you wanted to see. In my first playthrough, ignorant of what any of the powers did or what the hell was going on at all, there was an additional layer of stress introduced by this sense of confinement.

Two things happened that changed my mind about this. The first one, I noticed for myself in my first demo runthrough - your hands, when crouched in the darkness, work to determine how far in darkness you are - they work just like the light-level monitor in the Thief games, or the eye in Oblivion. It's a neat design choice, and it started to immerse me such that I kind of forgot the field of view being initially disconcerting.

The second thing that happened was that I went and watched the developer session, and quite apart from the fact that the two gentlemen who gave the presentation were likeable, knowledgeable and funny, the game took on a whole new life when I watched somebody who knew what the powers did play with them to their full effect. Powers I hadn't even used in my first runthrough looked valuable, fun and fascinating to use, and as I'd suspected, it was made clear that the demo on the show floor had artificially had all the powers unlocked, even though at that point in the game for real you'd really be limited to the ones that you had unlocked.

I don't really want to divulge the level of detail of the powers that were used, but I am the worlds most miserable old bastard, and even I clapped along with everyone else when Dinga Bakaba displayed some neat skill - not the kind you unlock, but gaming skill, to use the powers in an amusing, inventive and visceral manner in his 'brutal' playthrough.

I went back to the Dishonored demo a couple of days later, armed with all this extra knowledge about the powers, the map and the behaviour of the characters in the game and it made my second playthrough of it a different beast entirely.

I've only recently played Crysis, but it does that thing of setting you up with the tools and allowing you to get on with the way you approached your objectives, and Dishonored also seems to do this, albeit in a world realised in its own stylised, coherent universe. So long as you remained stealthy, you were free to explore, search for stuff, sightsee your way through the levels, and while it is hard to get an idea of whether, without all the powers, that same level is going to allow the same degree of experimentation, Dishonored is a game I went from being vaguely interested in because everyone was talking about it, to really wishing I could afford to justify buying and playing on the same day as XCom. Which sadly I cannot!

tl;dr - it looked pretty mint.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 7 Oct 2012 20:19:20 6,654 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm intending to play it with weapons, and supernatural powers kept to a minimum. Not intending to bother with stealth either.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2012 20:22:27
    I really want this; but I am truly broke.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 7 Oct 2012 20:23:09 25,389 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am out for revenge in the worst possible ways I can find. Those steampunk motherfuckers better watch out.
  • neilqpr 7 Oct 2012 20:33:02 2,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can only afford one of XCOM or Dishonoured on Friday. I thought I'd settled for XCOM but my hype levels are building for this now. Hmmmmm.
  • pinebear 7 Oct 2012 20:54:26 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    The proper non-dumbed down way would be for the LT/RT to represent each leg and the LB/RB to represent each arm, and you then pump each with the correct timing to make Ezio run.

Instead we get this dumbed down analogue stick bullshit.
    Assassin's QWOP?

• Kanjin 7 Oct 2012 20:55:37 1,051 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    tl;dr - it looked pretty mint.
    Cheers for the write up, good read!
  • ResidentKnievel 7 Oct 2012 22:40:36 6,100 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This looks really good, everyone having American accents in a game heavily influenced by old-timey London will be a bit jarring, but I'll probably get used to it.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• spamdangled 7 Oct 2012 22:47:26 27,269 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Still no news on a level editor for the pc version?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 7 Oct 2012 23:18:51 27,269 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I find it amusing that hello_fi is complaining about people bringing in irrelevant comments to a thread.

I guess he's annoyed he hasn't had a chance to make a racist comment on the front page today.

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:19:20 07-10-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• PenguinJim 8 Oct 2012 06:36:50 5,754 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Front page review's up. 8/10.

No NG+? Same dumbfuck A.I. as the 1990s? Glad I didn't pull the trigger on a pre-order yesterday. Will splurge on today's Thief sale on Steam instead and wait for £12-15 for this. (Which is still a compliment from me, as I'm extremely cheap and almost never spend more than £10 on a game :p)

This thread might make me change my mind, of course. ;)
  • fletch7100 8 Oct 2012 06:56:45 6,898 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gameinformer review

Does contain end game spoilers
  • Murbal 8 Oct 2012 07:02:25 21,920 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.edge-online.com/review/dishonored-review

Edge 9 confirmed
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Oct 2012 07:40:58 14,369 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Front page review's up. 8/10.

No NG+?
    This thread might make me change my mind, of course. ;)
    That is a shame, I would still think I will play through more than once however.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 8 October 2012 07:44:46
    Itís a rare delight to play a game with such consistency of vision, its art design, level architecture, rulesets, storylines and writing all working in lockstep. Itís more than enough to give you a deep connection to Dunwall, and the impulse to work to save it.

So exciting. Just finished edge review, sounds beautiful.
  • Derblington 8 Oct 2012 07:56:26 21,259 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shame none of the others are quite that positive. Apparently the ai and sword combat are both dumbed down... :(

:)
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 07:58:01
    :)

fwiw, I'm firmly in PenguinJim's camp on this one. Will wait until it's bargaintastic to get a copy, had next to zero interest in this up until now anyhow.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 08:04:08
    @Derblington I find edge the most reliable by far. EG review very positive as well.
  • Ultrasoundwave 8 Oct 2012 08:07:58 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, this is getting exactly the type of reviews i was expecting. A bit disappointed with what EG are saying about the replay value, still very excited for it though.

Just need to get my Shopto pre-order paid for now.......

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Deleted user 8 October 2012 08:09:42
    GameSpot 9.

A rare game....one of the most remarkable of the year....etc.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 08:11:17
    @Ultrasoundwave having just read GameSpot review , it says the replay value is high.
  • Murbal 8 Oct 2012 08:15:38 21,920 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    9.2 IGN. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/10/08/dishonored-review
  • Ultrasoundwave 8 Oct 2012 08:17:03 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    @Ultrasoundwave having just read GameSpot review , it says the replay value is high.
    BUNK!, BUNK I SAY!

Someone is lying to me and i want to know who!

/ shifty eyes

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Page

of 40 First / Last