Dishonored Page 35

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• faux_carnation 8 Jan 2013 20:46:52 9,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Ahh. I asked everyone, didn't find anything. Ohh well, next time.
    Even more than some of the other missions, the non-lethal option is a fate worse than death. I wasn't entirely comfortable doing it - only picked it as I was trying to be totally non-lethal.
  • FWB 9 Jan 2013 01:32:24 44,251 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Went back and redid it. Had to be done.

[Spoiler] Just done the Regent mission. Knew what was coming next. Not because of the story, but cos of the limited missions I had done. Plus picked up the explosive pistol plans, but had completely forgotten about the assassins.

Is there a non-lethal takedown for the torturer?
  • BryanAKADJ 9 Jan 2013 05:08:23 284 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Played this game for about half-an hour today, got it in from Amazon, brilliant. Of course I start going back to work tomorrow as well. Bah.
    Seems like a good game, looking forward to playing it more.

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• hypoBla5t 9 Jan 2013 18:27:57 1,395 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, 'tis finished. Only took about 10 hours, I wouldn't say I'd rushed it but couldn't be arsed to obsessively sneak around looking for everything. Once I'd maxed out all the powers I could see myself using I stopped looking for runes etc. Got the good ending too which I was pleased about, started out as Mister Slashy-Slashy but became more merciful as time passed.

To critique the game slightly:

Was a bit gutted that the game moved away from the assassin simulator of the first few missions as the story became more revenge-betrayal based. Really enjoyed scoping out places, culminating in the fancy dress ball, felt like I was being tunnelled and focussed more in the last few missions and I felt as if I should play them in a more linear way. No biggie like!!
  • robc84 11 Jan 2013 10:41:24 5,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just starting playing this game. Wasn't sure about it to start with but starting to enjoy it now I have a couple of powers!

Quick question though:

If I am going for a no kills run through, can I complete the side mission on the high overseer campbell mission that involves poisoning the water supply?
  • Deleted user 11 January 2013 11:32:43
    robc84 wrote:
    Just starting playing this game. Wasn't sure about it to start with but starting to enjoy it now I have a couple of powers!

Quick question though:

If I am going for a no kills run through, can I complete the side mission on the high overseer campbell mission that involves poisoning the water supply?
    Yup, as it doesn't kill anyone during the mission.
  • robc84 11 Jan 2013 11:51:53 5,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Excellent thanks.
  • mcmothercruncher 13 Jan 2013 21:01:41 6,808 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    Stranded87 wrote:
    I think I've nearly finished this and have to say I'm kind of glad. It's not something that I want to abandon but I'm definitely feeling done with it. Great mechanics and decent level design, but other than getting harder the gameplay doesn't really change much (I know there's a handful of different ways you can approach things, but they're much the same in every level and I unlocked at least level one of every skill I was interested in pretty quickly, so not much has changed in that regard), many of the levels seem aesthetically a bit samey, story is dross, graphics aren't great and I don't know about anyone else but personally I spend most of the time with that look-through-walls skill on, which just makes things look even worse.
    I agree. Although on the whole it is a surprisingly more engaging game than I expected I'm now on the second last mission and getting slightly tired of it. Beautiful game though.
    I'm surprised I'm not really enjoying this much. Played the shit out of the Thief games, original Deus Ex, early Hitman games etc, but I'm finding this a bit of a chore.
    I probably shouldn't be trying to go through first time without killing anyone because it has turned the game into a save/load fest that reminds me of the worst types of PC play... Dark Souls making every decision permanent and final makes everything feel so heightened. In Dishonored, I just shrug when I fuck up and go through the clunky menu to reload again.
    Love the world and the gameplay should be a perfect if, but it's a bit numb at the moment. Hmm, will give it a few more hours.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2013 21:07:28
    Oh so you messing it up for yourself and you say you surprised you not enjoying it? Durr.

Maybe try this...try and play it stealth if you desire, then if you mess up adapt and either escape or kill everyone and continue the level. Rocket science it is not.
  • LionheartDJH 13 Jan 2013 21:13:31 19,394 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FWB wrote:

[Spoiler] Just done the Regent mission. Knew what was coming next. Not because of the story, but cos of the limited missions I had done. Plus picked up the explosive pistol plans, but had completely forgotten about the assassins.

Yeah, although the game doesn't explicitly give you the option in the mission briefing you can do it (although I decided to off him in mine; one death wouldn't hurt my low chaos rating). Solutions:

1. Take out the dog with a sleep dart (not that killing animals affects chaos, just I think the 'death' noise is more likely to alert the torturer).

Then either stop time and sneak up behind him to choke him out, or alternatively blink behind him and do the same thing.

I think once he's finished flailing the corpse then he goes into a patrol type pattern so may be worth waiting around a little and then striking.

2. Just avoid the entire quest altogether, it's only a side mission so you don't have to do it. Though if you want the rune I guess you might as well deal with him while you're down there.

Edited by LionheartDJH at 21:15:08 13-01-2013

She dives for cheese pasties

• mcmothercruncher 13 Jan 2013 22:06:56 6,808 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm a bit concerned that we aren't friends any more Pepsipop.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2013 08:58:44
    mcmothercruncher wrote:

I'm surprised I'm not really enjoying this much. Played the shit out of the Thief games, original Deus Ex, early Hitman games etc, but I'm finding this a bit of a chore.
    I probably shouldn't be trying to go through first time without killing anyone because it has turned the game into a save/load fest that reminds me of the worst types of PC play... Dark Souls making every decision permanent and final makes everything feel so heightened. In Dishonored, I just shrug when I fuck up and go through the clunky menu to reload again.
    Love the world and the gameplay should be a perfect if, but it's a bit numb at the moment. Hmm, will give it a few more hours.

Hate to say it but I'm over half way through now and kind of feeling the same. I too played the crap out of Thief back in the day and I hoped I would get into this the same way, but for some reason I'm not, can't quite explain why. I want to love it.
  • quadfather 14 Jan 2013 09:24:14 11,983 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've just put some time into this and am at the level where you need to go and eliminate Campbell.

Am enjoying it so far but I can't seem to do it completely stealth yet. Managed the distillery poison mission ok though - just knocked 2 guys unconscious and it felt cool coming out of there unscathed and them not knowing.

I've gone for blink level 2, and the vision one, can't remember what it's called. What are the other skills like? The one where you can possess rats or fish seems like I'll have to do that at some point? Or do they just make certain areas easier?

It's not up to the level of love I had for thief yet, but we'll see I guess

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• krushing 14 Jan 2013 10:49:02 777 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    FWB wrote:

Yeah, although the game doesn't explicitly give you the option in the mission briefing you can do it (although I decided to off him in mine; one death wouldn't hurt my low chaos rating). Solutions:

1. Take out the dog with a sleep dart (not that killing animals affects chaos, just I think the 'death' noise is more likely to alert the torturer).

Then either stop time and sneak up behind him to choke him out, or alternatively blink behind him and do the same thing.

I think once he's finished flailing the corpse then he goes into a patrol type pattern so may be worth waiting around a little and then striking.

2. Just avoid the entire quest altogether, it's only a side mission so you don't have to do it. Though if you want the rune I guess you might as well deal with him while you're down there.
    I'm pretty sure just choking him won't work, as I did just that and the mission didn't count as completed until I stuck a sword in him..
  • MoGamer2006 14 Jan 2013 12:15:30 975 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blagged a free copy of this of a mate and, tbh, wasn't expecting much from it - generally not a fan of stealth games as I find them too slow and tedious.

In a lot of these games I also get intensely irritated by the fact it's not always obvious why you've been spotted, with the enemy sometimes missing you when you're crawling under their noses and other times spotting you half a mile away even when you're hidden in shadow behind a crate.

Anyway, although Dishonored suffers occasionally from the aforementioned problem, generally it's pretty consistent. It's also a lot more 'fun' than other stealth games, partly due to the setting and also due to the magic effects - the Blink power is a masterstroke, allowing you to crouch/hide yet still zip around nimbly.

I wouldn't quite say it's a classic but it's definitely a great game and worthy of anyone's time.
  • SClaw 14 Jan 2013 13:27:18 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This game was too annoying – in places – for me to enjoy it completely. I mean it was great… but little irritations just kept coming up.

The non-lethal option is nice but once they’re out cold they turn into glass dolls; having someone roll off a box, fall one foot and die… annoying. Limitations on upgrades were also a bit irritating – I can get more standard bolts but not more sleep darts, but why not? No way to tell if you’ve been spotted during a mission, which requires a frustrating restart for the credit. Occasional very linear sections which are completely at odds with the ethos of the rest of the game, although these were uncommon. Ridiculous level design in places (giant air vent, motionless chandeliers despite the man standing on them, etc.) which were just at odds with how carefully crafted everything else was in the world. The arbitrary endings were the most annoying thing, however – the chaos thing is bad camouflage for a totally generic good/evil ending number ticker. I’d have rather seen the hard numbers.

On the plus side it was a beautiful setting and many of the characters were fantastic. I love the setup of the story. I could have done with more audio recording things and less books though, as I couldn’t be bothered to read most of those in the second half of the game (seems silly to stop sneaking around to read a book). The storyline was – overall – a bit obvious and clumsy but it was entertaining and game-y so I enjoyed it way more than your usual save the world plot.
  • gamestatistics 17 Jan 2013 21:11:47 3 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Here is a summary of the main results of the Dishonored's survey, which has been done two or three weeks ago on various boards (including this one). This is a raw summary, without graphics or very deep analysis… However, if anybody wants any additional details, please do not hesitate to ask.

Sample description

- Around 220 players’ opinions have been taken into account for this survey. All of them had played Dishonored, around one half on PC (56%), the other half on consoles (26% Xbox, 17% PS3).
    - Average age of respondents was 21 years old, and half of them were Americans.
    - About 80% of them come from reddit (Dishonored subreddit). Other respondents come from eurogamer, RPGcodex, Destructoid or IGN boards.

Overall Satisfaction

- Dishonored already had great reviews, but the survey shows that the players are really enthusiast too toward the game : 64% of the them said the game was "excellent", 27% it was "very good" ; less than 2% said the game was bad or average.
    - Average notation given to Dishonored by the respondents was 8.9 / 10. As it was the first GameStatistics survey on English-speaking people, then we can not compare these results with other surveys yet. However, for sure it is a very high score, probably one of the highest possible on such kind of sample.
    - As a comparison, the same respondents gave an average rating of 7.8 to Deus Ex Human Revolution, of 7.1 to Hitman Absolution, of 7.4 to Assassin's Creed 3 and finally of 7.6 to Dark Messiah of Dark and Magic (but only a small proportion of players played this game, and rated it).

Assets and drawbacks

- Respondents were asked to give their opinion about various Dishonored features. Generally speaking, almost all of them were rated positively: scenario, universe, originally, well written dialogs… almost all of these have been rated positively by at least 70% of the respondents.
    - Background (79% of respondents did totally agree with the sentence “Dishonored is a game with an interesting background universe”) seems to be the main asset of Dishonored, as well as many other elements such as “good infiltration part” (76%), “visually pleasant” (67%), or “immersive” (65%).
    - Only two points have a quite important proportion of negative ratings: difficulty of the game (25% of respondents think the game is not difficult), and the lack of intelligence from the opponents (25%).

Other stuff

- 45% of the respondents finished the game two times or more.
    - Dishonored ending was positively judged by more than 88% of the people who finished it (and 50% were absolutely satisfied)
    - The mission of “lady Boyle’s last party”, seems to be the most appreciated mission: 37% of respondents rank it on first place, and 23% on second place. Second preferred mission is “House of Pleasure”, followed by “High overseer Campbell”. “Royal Physician”, “Flooded district” and “the light of the end” were the less appreciated.
    - Half of the players chose a “relative discretion” approach (very few deaths) for their first run; on the other hand, 30% of them preferred a more aggressive approach; the other respondents tried the “ghost” approach (without any death).
    - For further Arkane’s game, more than 80% of the respondents said they would prefer another game on Dishonored universe, far beyond any of the other proposals (Arx Fatalis 2, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic 2, a new license…)

I hope that some of you will find these statistics interesting. Do not hesitate to put a comment or ask additional questions.
    Next survey on English-speaking people should be more complete (and you won’t be asked this time, if you’re “a men” or “a women”…)
  • FWB 17 Jan 2013 21:52:04 44,251 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have to kill the executioner for the credit. I choked him, but also got no mission completed.

Thought it was pretty obvious when spotted. They run after you. Anything else and they will think you were just a rat.

Rumour has it high chaos leads to another ending. Will go back and do that after a break.
  • LionheartDJH 17 Jan 2013 23:15:45 19,394 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Have to kill the executioner for the credit. I choked him, but also got no mission completed.

Thought it was pretty obvious when spotted. They run after you. Anything else and they will think you were just a rat.

Rumour has it high chaos leads to another ending. Will go back and do that after a break.
    Ah right, guess I was mistaken!

Yep, there's 'very high chaos' too...

She dives for cheese pasties

• Vortex808 18 Jan 2013 10:25:59 7,073 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I should watch the other endings on you tube some day, I only got the low chaos one as I only killed a few guards the whole way through.

I only killed a few after annoyingly losing my no kills and never spotted chances during the show down between granny rags and what's his chops (the moonshine brewer whos name escapes me now).
  • FWB 18 Jan 2013 11:12:44 44,251 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You can knock her out to complete it. I did.
  • Deleted user 24 January 2013 14:46:55
    Finished! Actually really enjoyed it in the end. Went for a no kills walkthrough on hard, finished the game, where's my achievement? Huh. Stupid game must have a bug. Go back through my mission stats:

01: Dishonored Kills: 5

Ah. Balls. I forgot I was mucking about that time. I meant to re-do it. I obviously didn't and thought I had. Bugger. Had to be the very first sodding mission!

Fuck it I'm going high chaos on very hard now. Pricks are going to pay!
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jan 2013 22:01:29 10,585 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Struggling with Kaldwin's bridge and fed up with it, the abandoned pile beckons :-(

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• FWB 29 Jan 2013 22:04:59 44,251 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought that was dead easy. Blink your way to the top and avoid most of the guards. There's an achievement for walking around on the top.
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jan 2013 22:18:18 10,585 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    I thought that was dead easy. Blink your way to the top and avoid most of the guards. There's an achievement for walking around on the top.
    I'll give it another try tomorrow...

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• FWB 29 Jan 2013 22:20:46 44,251 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do. Best game of 2012 for me. Not that I played a ton.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 23:51:13
    Yeah same, blink to the top. The view is lovely :)
  • Sunno 5 Feb 2013 10:26:03 156 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone else playing the Dunwall City Trials DLC? Oh my god some of it is hard!

Gettting 3 stars on everything is going to be tough. Got a few, but I can see 3 starring Bonfires on expert taking a while to do.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2013 10:29:00
    Yeah I'm pleasantly surprised with it as it's pretty good. Can't remember what it's called but I love the one that you plan your attack before smashing the glass and then killing everyone as quickly as possible.

Yeah, hard too though! Or I'm just rubbish!
  • Sunno 5 Feb 2013 11:08:48 156 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think it's called Bending Time or something like that and yeah, that is a good one.

It can be a bit glitchy though which is my only complaint really. I spent about half an hour trying for the cheevo for beating the train on train run and i swear i was getting it everytime but it just wouldn't pop. Reset the console and it popped straight away. I've also got stuck a couple of times which can be really annoying, especially on speed run challenges.

But all in all this game is incredible. On my 4th playthrough for fun now but the DLC is taking up a lot of my time. Would love to see some story DLC coming up soon.
  • Page

of 40 First / Last