Square Enix sings sweet lullabies to the 3DS in Theatrhyhm Final Fantasy(tm)

• Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous
  • JinTypeNoir 6 Jul 2011 09:19:28 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have you ever wanted to play a Square Enix-themed rhythm game with SNES/SFC era super-deformed versions of characters in simplified take on the series old field and battle scenes while you Parappa the Rappa out of the onscreen prompts to classic Final Fantasy music.

Scan of the Jump article. Click on the square picture. (I hope this is allowed.) Cutifying the Dissidia logo is a nice touch.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 6 Jul 2011 09:37:30 10,861 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Link no worky :o( Idea sounds fab though! Won't make it outside of Japan...
  • cowell 6 Jul 2011 10:50:04 715 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Have you ever wanted to play a Square Enix-themed rhythm game with SNES/SFC era super-deformed versions of characters in simplified take on the series old field and battle scenes while you Parappa the Rappa out of the onscreen prompts to classic Final Fantasy music.

That's quite a specific desire. I'm only interested if I can do this while cycling backwards with a badger on my head. Otherwise, count me out
  • Midgar777 6 Jul 2011 12:14:04 472 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Here I fixed it!

It looks awesome!
    but I'm a fanboy ;_;
  • Deleted user 12 September 2011 09:06:13
    Gameplay
  • SirScratchalot 12 Sep 2011 09:12:39 7,877 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is the only final fantasy product I've been interested in, ever, I think...
    Oueeeendaaan but with swords seems a very interresting direction..
  • roz123 28 Dec 2011 10:01:51 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Japanese demo footage
  • JinTypeNoir 4 Feb 2012 18:54:55 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So there's not just one, but two demos up on the 3DS eShop, and the first one released kept me enthralled for a month, with only one song. I never manage to beat its third difficulty level, but I tried and tried, because the game has a puzzle-game like addictive quality to it. The three songs available across the two demos are Final Fantasy VI's Decisive Battle (this is the super hard one I referenced), Final Fantasy VIII's The Man with the Machine Gun and Final Fantasy XIII's Sunleth theme.

The battle ones are classic 2Dish 3D with a party of four Final Fantasy characters on the right and monsters that appear on the left. The better you do at the rhythm game the more damage you do to the monsters and the more and stronger ones come out to fight. While you can't access it in the demo, in the full version you can equip gear, level up your characters, give them skills and magic to use during battle and so on. I'm not sure how the skills get activated, but there's a definite difference in difficulty between level 49 characters who can use Protect to reduce damage and Curaga to replenish your health bar, which depletes when you get notes wrong, and level 28 characters who can't do as much.

As you may have seen in videos, four lines are arranged parallel to your four party members, and notes slide from the left to right, and you must time your tap so that the note covers the circle right in front of your character. You are of course ranked from perfect to bad along five ranks depending on how accurate you are. Successfully hitting perfects means that your party members get critical hits on the monsters. After the end of level, where you see your points, how many notes you correctly chained in a row, ranks and such, there's also a critical gauge that shows you did in getting perfects in each section of the song. It fills up a little more each time you more percentage of the song correct and perfect until you 100% it, and then presumably you get some sort of bonus, though its not in the demo. So for those who like it, there's even grinding in this rhythm game! @_@

There are three types of notes. One where you just tap (anywhere on the touch screen is okay), ones where you must hold down for a certain amount of time and then let go and ones where you must slash in the direction the arrow is pointing. During the level there are special silver notes, that if you do well enough on, will call a summoned monster to come fight for you, depending on the summoned monster you will complete a note chart specific to it and if successful, release a powerful summon attack that usually kills the enemy in one hit.

The Sunleth song is a field song, and this differs in that one character walks right to left across 2D representation of a Final Fantasy dungeon or field. Which character is walking depends, if you take too much damage from misses, it will switch to the next party member. In addition to direction slashs and simple taps, the notes where you have to hold down the stylus on the touch screen go up and down like a waveform and you must the stylus in time to hit the corresponding mini-notes on the wave's line. Also the special notes seem to call some sort of field help or travel method, in the demo I got a yellow, red or black chocobo to make you go faster for a special note sequence to earn extra points. If you do well enough moogles appear and give you treasure chests, though what's in them is not covered in the extent of the demo.

The demo was filled with options, there is a skippable tutorial from the start with a practice sequence, that if you missed you can replay from a menu. You can turn off the sound effects when tapping a note so you can hear the music in a more raw form. In each Final Fantasy title, there seem to be three tunes, one field tune like Sunleth, one battle tune and one event scene tune, the third of which was not covered in the demo, so its unclear what its differences are to the other two modes. You can choose between three difficult levels on each tune and let me tell you Ulimate on Final Fantasy VI's Decisive Battle is difficult to the level of impossible for me in the demo and the normal difficulty level took me 20 tries to complete. The Man with the Machine Gun is a little easier as I can get halfway through the song in ultimate, whereas Decisive Battle kills me on the first 16th of the song. Sunleth was the easiest, I passed the Ultimate level the third or fourth time I tried it. On every difficulty level of every song you can watch a demo of a perfect play or a do a practice run where you can't win or earn points, but you can't lose either.

The presentation is magnificent. It goes without saying the songs are there in their full glory, but the music used in the menu, tutorials and so on is also full of nods to the series' history. The graphics are astounding, for someone like me who has always loved 2D more than 3D, this game beats Resident Evil Revelations as the best looking game on the platform. It's true its polygonal 2D with sprite characters, or 2.5D, the 3D is such at a high level you can't distinguish it from traditional 2D too much. When I first saw the city backdrop from FFVI and Esthar from FFVIII in this style, I couldn't believe how awesome it looked. Its a real treat to see the old titles bumped up to this level and the new titles bumped down to the old 2D super-deformed style. Chibi Lightning and Tidus are adorable. Before you start a level the four of them appear with upclose silhouettes similar to the menu screen portraits of old games and each say a quick phrase that gets linked together into a goofy statement like, for instance, "We shall not give up! (Bartz) For the light! (Light Warrior) And our friends! (Zidane) Whom we abandon? (Squall)"

When the original demo appeared, it produced a massive tidal wave of good press and impressions for the game, so they produced the second demo and now me and others have even more good things to say. If this game is as good as the demo suggests it might be, we're looking at way more than a throwaway rhythm game and possibly the best rhythm game of 2012, and maybe even one of the best ever. It's a must buy for me now.
  • HiddenAway 22 Mar 2012 13:12:36 15,000 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heading to Europe in the Summer

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Oceanstar 22 Mar 2012 15:11:30 114 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Woot! Been thinking of getting the Japanese version but now that a PAL release is confirmed I'll wait.

NNID: Oceanstar

• Afiddes 25 Apr 2012 15:38:35 1,164 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/04/theatrhythm_shimmies_to_europe_on_6th_july

looks like a 6th July release date

also amazon are doing it for 23

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Square-Enix-Theatrhythm-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B007VLYGMY/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335364797&sr=8-1-spell

Edited by Afiddes at 15:40:21 25-04-2012

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• Oceanstar 28 Apr 2012 05:53:07 114 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Amazon listing confirms preorder bonus. Waiting for shopto to do the same....(sigh)

NNID: Oceanstar

• Afiddes 12 May 2012 13:47:32 1,164 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have really been looking forward to this game and reading alot of previews they dont seem to have a bad word to say about it. Really can't wait

• santashi 12 May 2012 16:10:54 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oceanstar wrote:
    Amazon listing confirms preorder bonus. Waiting for shopto to do the same....(sigh)
    I think I read it on the SE European website somewhere, but I think the rep said that the preorder bonus was only with Amazon. Could be wrong though!

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Agent_Llama 7 Jun 2012 23:31:50 3,379 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pre-ordered from Amazon, it's under 25 plus comes with the stylus thingy.

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• Murbs 8 Jun 2012 07:05:36 22,591 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How has the game been received in Japan (assuming its already out there)?
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 8 Jun 2012 09:31:57 10,861 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not what it used to be but, for what it's worth, here's the Famitsu scores for it. For those not bothering to click, it got 10, 9, 9, 8.

I too have gone for the Amazon deal at 22.99. Looks quirky enough to keep me entertained for a bit. Doubt it's a Rhythm Thief beater though - that game is super awesome.
  • Murbs 8 Jun 2012 09:39:56 22,591 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oooh. Cheers for that, I'll probably plump for that too then. And will probably give the stylus to my daughters to fight over ;-)

I'll be checking out Rhythm Thief now too.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 8 Jun 2012 09:48:54 10,861 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    I'll be checking out Rhythm Thief now too.
    There's a demo on the eShop. It does take a while for the game to get going and it can be punishing on the tilt-controlled songs but it really does pay off overall. Best SEGA rhythm game since SC5/Samba De Amigo.
  • Agent_Llama 8 Jun 2012 21:12:13 3,379 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haven't got far in Rhythm Thief but enjoying it very much so far.

• Deleted user 8 June 2012 21:17:45
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    So there's not just one, but two demos up on the 3DS eShop, and the first one released kept me enthralled for a month, with only one song. I never manage to beat its third difficulty level, but I tried and tried, because the game has a puzzle-game like addictive quality to it. The three songs available across the two demos are Final Fantasy VI's Decisive Battle (this is the super hard one I referenced), Final Fantasy VIII's The Man with the Machine Gun and Final Fantasy XIII's Sunleth theme.

The battle ones are classic 2Dish 3D with a party of four Final Fantasy characters on the right and monsters that appear on the left. The better you do at the rhythm game the more damage you do to the monsters and the more and stronger ones come out to fight. While you can't access it in the demo, in the full version you can equip gear, level up your characters, give them skills and magic to use during battle and so on. I'm not sure how the skills get activated, but there's a definite difference in difficulty between level 49 characters who can use Protect to reduce damage and Curaga to replenish your health bar, which depletes when you get notes wrong, and level 28 characters who can't do as much.

As you may have seen in videos, four lines are arranged parallel to your four party members, and notes slide from the left to right, and you must time your tap so that the note covers the circle right in front of your character. You are of course ranked from perfect to bad along five ranks depending on how accurate you are. Successfully hitting perfects means that your party members get critical hits on the monsters. After the end of level, where you see your points, how many notes you correctly chained in a row, ranks and such, there's also a critical gauge that shows you did in getting perfects in each section of the song. It fills up a little more each time you more percentage of the song correct and perfect until you 100% it, and then presumably you get some sort of bonus, though its not in the demo. So for those who like it, there's even grinding in this rhythm game! @_@

There are three types of notes. One where you just tap (anywhere on the touch screen is okay), ones where you must hold down for a certain amount of time and then let go and ones where you must slash in the direction the arrow is pointing. During the level there are special silver notes, that if you do well enough on, will call a summoned monster to come fight for you, depending on the summoned monster you will complete a note chart specific to it and if successful, release a powerful summon attack that usually kills the enemy in one hit.

The Sunleth song is a field song, and this differs in that one character walks right to left across 2D representation of a Final Fantasy dungeon or field. Which character is walking depends, if you take too much damage from misses, it will switch to the next party member. In addition to direction slashs and simple taps, the notes where you have to hold down the stylus on the touch screen go up and down like a waveform and you must the stylus in time to hit the corresponding mini-notes on the wave's line. Also the special notes seem to call some sort of field help or travel method, in the demo I got a yellow, red or black chocobo to make you go faster for a special note sequence to earn extra points. If you do well enough moogles appear and give you treasure chests, though what's in them is not covered in the extent of the demo.

The demo was filled with options, there is a skippable tutorial from the start with a practice sequence, that if you missed you can replay from a menu. You can turn off the sound effects when tapping a note so you can hear the music in a more raw form. In each Final Fantasy title, there seem to be three tunes, one field tune like Sunleth, one battle tune and one event scene tune, the third of which was not covered in the demo, so its unclear what its differences are to the other two modes. You can choose between three difficult levels on each tune and let me tell you Ulimate on Final Fantasy VI's Decisive Battle is difficult to the level of impossible for me in the demo and the normal difficulty level took me 20 tries to complete. The Man with the Machine Gun is a little easier as I can get halfway through the song in ultimate, whereas Decisive Battle kills me on the first 16th of the song. Sunleth was the easiest, I passed the Ultimate level the third or fourth time I tried it. On every difficulty level of every song you can watch a demo of a perfect play or a do a practice run where you can't win or earn points, but you can't lose either.

The presentation is magnificent. It goes without saying the songs are there in their full glory, but the music used in the menu, tutorials and so on is also full of nods to the series' history. The graphics are astounding, for someone like me who has always loved 2D more than 3D, this game beats Resident Evil Revelations as the best looking game on the platform. It's true its polygonal 2D with sprite characters, or 2.5D, the 3D is such at a high level you can't distinguish it from traditional 2D too much. When I first saw the city backdrop from FFVI and Esthar from FFVIII in this style, I couldn't believe how awesome it looked. Its a real treat to see the old titles bumped up to this level and the new titles bumped down to the old 2D super-deformed style. Chibi Lightning and Tidus are adorable. Before you start a level the four of them appear with upclose silhouettes similar to the menu screen portraits of old games and each say a quick phrase that gets linked together into a goofy statement like, for instance, "We shall not give up! (Bartz) For the light! (Light Warrior) And our friends! (Zidane) Whom we abandon? (Squall)"

When the original demo appeared, it produced a massive tidal wave of good press and impressions for the game, so they produced the second demo and now me and others have even more good things to say. If this game is as good as the demo suggests it might be, we're looking at way more than a throwaway rhythm game and possibly the best rhythm game of 2012, and maybe even one of the best ever. It's a must buy for me now.
    I think you've summarised my thoughts nicely.
  • roz123 22 Jun 2012 10:06:55 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Demo up on the European eShop contains two songs
    The Man with the Machine Gun from FFVIII
    Sunleth Waterscape from FFXIII
  • Afiddes 22 Jun 2012 22:21:03 1,164 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Picked up the demo this evening and honestly this game beats rhythm thief to be my fravorite rhythm game I have played. I tried out the man with the machine gun on basic about twenty times before getting an s but even then it was so much fun I carried on that level. I did sunleth on basic in one attempt and hard in one (though I did it again to get perfect combo) tried on ultimate and wow what a shock! The ramp in difficulty is humongous but all it has left me with is an urge to go back and try again

Really looking forward to getting this day one

• DFawkes 22 Jun 2012 23:12:48 24,093 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't even know what this game was until the demo popped up! I already love it. All they needed to do was have any song from FF7 or 8 that I loved and they'd have me, and they went and gave me exactly what I wanted with The Man with the Machine Gun from FFVIII. It taps into my love of nostalgia at the same time as being something totally different to any games I own :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• santashi 23 Jun 2012 09:51:00 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Found the demo rather fun. Not really played rhythm games before but it seemed nicely designed and I can imagine it being pretty addictive. Had a lot more fun than with the Kingdom Hearts demo, too, which I wasn't expecting.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Agent_Llama 23 Jun 2012 11:22:52 3,379 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Enjoyed the demo, very pleased to see the glorious Saber's Edge from FFXIII is in the full game.

• Deleted user 23 June 2012 12:04:09
    Enjoyed the demo, pre-ordered the game.
  • Afiddes 23 Jun 2012 12:50:11 1,164 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you pre order from amazon you get some free stuff and it's only 23

• Deleted user 23 June 2012 13:23:11
    Yep, I pre-ordered at Amazon using free one-day delivery (Prime). The free stuff is a nice bonus.
  • Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous