Anyone sell on eBay? Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Cappy 19 Sep 2013 10:03:18 12,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just checked my invoice for this month, I'm only paying fees on the final value, not the postage. Are you sure, you're paying fees on postage too?

It's bad enough that PayPal take a slice of your money for postage, eBay dipping in too would be crazy, everybody would have to jack postage prices up. As it is I barely break even on postage and I have to reuse envelopes, get bubble wrap for nothing from the supermarkets etc.

Edited by Cappy at 11:33:14 19-09-2013
  • elstoof 19 Sep 2013 10:19:33 8,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sod posting stuff ever again, I sold an ikea footstool for 7 quid last month, put a fiver down for postage. Had to go parcel force for £16, then ebay took their cut from the "profit".
  • santashi 19 Sep 2013 11:10:32 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Cappy Yeah, they're quite explicit about it on the fees page, for example:

18-Sep-13 15:39:27 BST Final value fee on postage £0.55
    Like you say, Paypal fees on postage were bad enough. :/ I wondered how my eBay charges had suddenly shot up.

What's worse is that I went to a post office I don't normally go to and the lady behind the counter decided that one of my items would be a medium instead of small packet and added £3 to the price, while telling me that she thought I shouldn't go with that and should opt for one of two even more expensive forms of postage as an alternative. Not that the last bit has anything to do with eBay. It's just adding to the pain. :p

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• santashi 19 Sep 2013 11:14:45 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @elstoof That really sucks. :(

• Cappy 19 Sep 2013 11:40:17 12,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @santashi

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/questions/what-fees.html

Final Value Fee - If the item sells, you are charged a Final Value Fee. The Final Value Fee is based on the final amount the item sells for. The Final Value Fee does not include postage costs.
    Maybe it depends on the type of listing? I haven't paid fees on postage as of yet, I'd pack eBay in if they sliced into postage, I often already lose money on postage as it is because Royal Mail have jacked their prices to levels where you just can't send some items for a price that makes sense to a buyer.
  • santashi 19 Sep 2013 11:58:25 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Cappy Technically, that's still true. They charged me a 'Final value fee', which didn't include postage costs, then charged me a separate 'Final value fee on postage'.

I sold some video games, a figure and some bits and bobs like stickers and a belt buckle. They sold on Sunday, so maybe it came in recently?

Agree about the RM prices, too. :/

• Cappy 19 Sep 2013 12:05:57 12,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just checked on something I sold on Sunday, they took fees on the shipping. Nothing previous to that though. :(

Pretty outrageous, especially when you're posting to places like Australia.

*edit*

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2013/09/ebay-sellers-beware-its-fees-now-eat-into-postage-costs

The fees were just introduced earlier this month.

eBay says the move is aimed at encouraging sellers to offer free or low-cost postage.
    How does that work when the amount I charge for postage doesn't cover the postage anymore?

Plus, eBay rules state that you can't increase postage costs to cover eBay or PayPal fees.
    Well that's it I'm done with selling until this reversed, just like last time they tried to introduce this policy.

Edited by Cappy at 12:09:53 19-09-2013
  • santashi 19 Sep 2013 12:29:43 5,167 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Cappy Ah, thanks. I had completely missed that. How on earth are you supposed to not charge anything for postage unless you've invented your own free-to-run teleporter? Postage can be more than the item, sometimes. That seems insane.

• Cappy 19 Sep 2013 12:46:46 12,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    eBay's justifications for this are basically bullshit, they implemented maximum limits on postage for categories like games years ago anyway. How were all these sellers charging excessively?

I sold one thing on Sunday and because it went to Brazil their policy has effectively doubled the final value fee 'take' because it cost so much to send.

The more Royal Mail jacks the prices the more they make. Hopefully listings fall off and they have to reverse this policy.
  • Cappy 7 Nov 2013 16:35:21 12,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well. I decided I was finished with eBay... but they weren't finished with me.

Ever since the abolishment of bad feedback from sellers, I've had numerous nuisance bidders who bid on items, even outbid other people who actually want the item, then they hide behind a wall of silence with no payment forthcoming.

It's a waste of people's time and they get away with it again and again with no repercussions since it's actually really difficult to pick up even one non-payment strike and they get three chances.

My last lot of sales a few months ago, one guy doesn't pay, as usual I don't bother wasting my time getting on his case, I open a case in the resolution centre and forget about it with the expectation that when it's closed the transaction is removed along with it.

That never happened, I don't know if eBay changed their system or something but now the case closes and I still owe them final value fees for an item that didn't actually sell. I've always disliked their automatic billing system it always works on the assumption that you've been paid when it would be a simple matter to check if no payment is recorded, they own PayPal after all, they've got eyes on the whole system.

For a couple of months now I've been plagued with demands (in caps) for a payment for seller fees on a transaction that was never completed. I've had my account suspended, no problem I don't want to use it anymore.

There's just the constant threats turning up in my email, I've lost count of the amount of messages I've sent to customer services explaining the situation and giving them the pertinent information to check. I suspect a human being never reads them, I get the same robot cut and paste message telling how I can make payment today no matter what I write.

I could tell them I'm going to block all messages from eBay, and it seems nobody will ever read it. They'll just keep sending the same demand for money I don't owe them every two or three days.

What an absolutely disgusting company, the only thing that sinks any lower is their abysmal customer service.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Nov 2013 17:03:33 1,033 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    yeah we just had hassle from them as well. Someone complained we were slow to send (how dare we have to wait till the weekend to post it) and even though they recieved the item they wouldnt close the case. ebay deemed our proof of posting and their comment that we were slow to send as enough proof the person didnt get the item and ordered a full refund paid..so they got the item and their money back, we got the ebay fees, a lost item and no money. Basically unless you send something recorded signed for they can simply say they didnt get it at any point and get a full refund from you.
  • dnbuk 3 Dec 2013 16:34:32 4,958 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I listed something yesterday as an auction and with a Buy It Now option and the BIN has dissappeared. I just read that this happens as soon as there is a bid....how long has this been going?
  • hypernova 3 Dec 2013 16:41:57 1,967 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Since always. It's 'reserves' that don't disappear once a bid is placed.
  • Sasahara_Natsuki 3 Dec 2013 17:45:20 1 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • THFourteen 3 Dec 2013 21:36:26 34,267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Cappy

A few days after you've opened the resolution case, if you still haven't been paid you need to go I to it and choose "receive final value fee"

I've just done it and got my full final value fee in credit...
  • Cappy 3 Dec 2013 21:59:54 12,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I eventually had to deal with a representative and get them to cancel the fee, apparently if you don't bother closing the resolution centre case manually yourself during a set period it closes automatically.

For some reason an automatic closure won't credit the final value fee back to you despite no payment being recorded.

All in a total waste of time, they enable time wasters to make nuisance bids, then expect you to spend time logging into ebay periodically to check the resolution centre and administer non-payment cases, closing them manually.

The representative I dealt with was a snaky sort who avoided answering any difficult questions by outright ignoring them.

Lesson learned, don't use eBay.
  • Mexico_70_Jacket 9 Dec 2013 19:32:41 9 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    dealing with a couple of stupid cunts at the moment. Same old sob story, dickheads overbidding and then deciding they don't want it basically. Put up 11 auctions the last few weeks and 7 of them ended last night. clearly state in my auctions "want a quick sale, please pay at auction end and i will ship within 24 hours" etc. predictably, all the cheaper items which went for a normal price, (underpaying in some cases... which always seems to happen to me) paid straight away or within an hour. great. the 2 larger fees i am still waiting on a day later, send another invoice to both but i just know i won't get paid by the fuckers. not going to bother getting into an email dialogue. sent them the invoice twice. they know they need to pay. don't want to hear their "i'm out of town at the moment and can't pay" shite. simply going straight to dispute stage tomorrow night as soon as it lets me.

One is for about £70, and I honestly don't know why they won't pay because there was only 2 bidders and he bid at the last second and won. he has decent feedback of 150 or so. all i can think is that he bid without really thinking he would win, and when nobody else bid he was left stuck with it? not really that bothered because i think i would get more for the item if i relist it, i babbled a bit in the description. seen others go for far more lately in worse shape. so not that bothered.

2nd one is for £45. again i stipulated i want paying right after auction end for a fast sale. i don't expect to see a penny of this as they have massively overbid. had a look at the bid history and at £27 it's clear 1 bidder decided to bid silly money on the basis that they thought nobody would bid more than about £30. and by bidding 45 they guaranteed they got it for £31 or similar. but somebody else had the same idea and bid 44. so the person who bid 45 was stuck with overpaying £15-20. this person has feedback of nearly 3000, so goes to show the feedback means nothing. an idiot is an idiot at the end of the day.

annoying as surely you only use ebay for fast cash and everytime these twats hold you up. going to take me til thursday night to finish the cases and then a 3 day relist. basically at least an entire week without the cash i should of had. think i'm just going to operate entirely on Buy it Now in future. think of the price i want and list it, if it doesn't sell knock a fiver off and relist it and repeat. sick of these list 10 auctions and you're guaranteed 1 or 2 of these idiots now even ones with high feedback numbers. never used to be the case. needs to be more of a deterent on NPBs than their is. NPBs found guilty should have their paypal account immediately docked a £50 fine. that'll soon stop it. it's all linked, could easily be done.

Edited by Mexico_70_Jacket at 19:34:23 09-12-2013
  • localnotail 9 Dec 2013 22:16:10 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I won something last week for 99p that usually retails for over £100 new, I think. Paid instantly. They haven't sent it yet. I don't think it's coming.

I don't really blame them. I'd be well vexed if that happened to me.

Edited by localnotail at 23:22:25 09-12-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• MadCaddy13 9 Dec 2013 22:28:14 2,039 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ... What was it?
  • localnotail 9 Dec 2013 23:21:08 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just a pop-up travel cot that you can also use as a play tent / beach shelter. I've sent them another message saying I was relying on having it by the weekend for a family trip, see if I can guilt them into sorting it out. They usually go for at least £35 on eBay, they just got unlucky.

• oceanmotion 24 Jan 2014 20:18:07 16,090 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, is not paying a thing now ?

Why on earth do they bother bidding. Gits. Twice this month.

I can't even give them negative feedback. Do they not even get a blotch against their account for this ?

Should I bother making a case whatever good that does, they can't make them pay I presume ?
  • localnotail 24 Jan 2014 20:25:31 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Open a dispute (within 32 days). If they still don't pay, request your fees are refunded, if any. They will get a mark against them, for what it is worth.

Edited by localnotail at 20:27:01 24-01-2014

• elstoof 24 Jan 2014 21:40:34 8,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Definitely open a dispute, if only to stop ebay invoicing you their cut of your "sale". Remember to close the case 4 days after opening it too.
  • Cappy 24 Jan 2014 21:48:43 12,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've lost count of the number of non-paying bidders I've had to deal with, not a single one ever got a non-payment strike.

To actually pick up the three strikes that would prevent you from bidding would be a major achievement.
  • elstoof 24 Jan 2014 21:51:13 8,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's no limit on strikes as far as I know, but you can set a block on bidders with a number of strikes you think is too many.
  • Vortex808 24 Jan 2014 22:02:25 7,476 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll have to check out how to do that. I've had to open disputes to cancel sales and get the item re-listed far too many times.

It just goes with the territory I guess, but it is a pain in the arse when it happens.
  • elstoof 24 Jan 2014 22:06:07 8,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-To-Block-An-eBay-Bidder-/10000000012835288/g.html
  • MadCaddy13 6 Feb 2014 07:35:42 2,039 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Just a pop-up travel cot that you can also use as a play tent / beach shelter. I've sent them another message saying I was relying on having it by the weekend for a family trip, see if I can guilt them into sorting it out. They usually go for at least £35 on eBay, they just got unlucky.
    Did you get it?
  • Page

of 4 First / Last