Turned my E-PL1 up to 11

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • TheRealBadabing 25 Jun 2011 10:34:23 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just received my VF-2 and a Canon 200mm f/2.8 FD lens. Couldn't resist after the fun I had using an old 70-210 zoom at Woburn. Wanted moar! And bettar!

The EVF is simply amazing, it adds so much and lets me think I'm using a "proper" camera again. Always felt there was something missing and this fills the gap. It suits the E-PL1 really nicely too. I have the silver version on a black body and was a little concerned when I ordered it that it would look a bit wrong. It looks bloody lovely.

As for the lens, time will tell but my first impressions are very positive. Considering the biggest filter size I have used before is 58mm, the 72mm front end is pleasingly chunky. Images so far have been very sharp and focusing easy. The big aperture gives some nice depth of field and attractive bokeh. Will have more of a play with it this weekend.

No doubt the Panny 20mm is the best lens for the M43 system but, along with the MkII kit lens, I think I will be well served with this setup. Now I just need to learn how to take a good photo ;)
  • PrivateFloyd 25 Jun 2011 10:37:41 4,182 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice!!

My e-p1 should be here next week, alas if I want a viewfinder it will only be compatible with the 17mm kit lens.

Some pics would be nice of that set up dude if you have another camera you can take it with, I have been looking at FD mounts for a macro lens I want to but for it.

Goat is hungry.....

• TheRealBadabing 25 Jun 2011 11:20:24 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Here you go:

Overcompensating?
  • PrivateFloyd 25 Jun 2011 18:07:31 4,182 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hehe that's epic!!

Does look good, not sure whether I am going to regret not having an evf. We shall see.

Goat is hungry.....

• Nth 27 Jun 2011 12:36:29 3,121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't miss a VF on my E-P1 at all to be honest.
  • secombe 27 Jun 2011 13:07:15 1,332 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I use my E-PL2 alongside a Nikon D90 and surprisingly have got on just fine without a viewfinder, it was a big concern before I bought it, but I haven't had any problems.

25mm f1.2 CCTV lens is on its way to me from Hong Kong (32!), really looking forward to it.
  • Clive_Dunn 27 Jun 2011 13:08:11 4,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Just received my VF-2 and a Canon 200mm f/2.8 FD lens. Couldn't resist after the fun I had using an old 70-210 zoom at Woburn. Wanted moar! And bettar!

The EVF is simply amazing, it adds so much and lets me think I'm using a "proper" camera again. Always felt there was something missing and this fills the gap. It suits the E-PL1 really nicely too. I have the silver version on a black body and was a little concerned when I ordered it that it would look a bit wrong. It looks bloody lovely.

As for the lens, time will tell but my first impressions are very positive. Considering the biggest filter size I have used before is 58mm, the 72mm front end is pleasingly chunky. Images so far have been very sharp and focusing easy. The big aperture gives some nice depth of field and attractive bokeh. Will have more of a play with it this weekend.

No doubt the Panny 20mm is the best lens for the M43 system but, along with the MkII kit lens, I think I will be well served with this setup. Now I just need to learn how to take a good photo ;)

Is this so you can take more detailed photos of children in swimming pools ?
  • Nth 27 Jun 2011 13:21:50 3,121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    secombe wrote:
    I use my E-PL2 alongside a Nikon D90 and surprisingly have got on just fine without a viewfinder, it was a big concern before I bought it, but I haven't had any problems.

25mm f1.2 CCTV lens is on its way to me from Hong Kong (32!), really looking forward to it.
    Got a link about that lens? Sounds interesting!
  • henro_ben 27 Jun 2011 13:47:05 2,220 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    secombe wrote:

It'll be interesting to see what kind of results you get with that.

I've seen some interesting street stuff shot with cctv lenses, although apparently they can have issues with flare, fringing, vignetting & sharpness - they seem to suit a certain type of shot though. The street stuff I've seen always looks quite moody & atmospheric.

For 32 well worth a play with it!
  • secombe 27 Jun 2011 13:52:29 1,332 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think they've been mentioned here before, just a CCTV lens adapted for Micro 4/3s use using a particular mount. Bonkers bokeh, but I love Holga type gear so will no doubt have a lot of fun with it.

A few companies repackage them and triple the price (such as the SLR Magic Toy Lens reviewed below), but you can get them direct on eBay for 30-40. Most common seem to be 25 or 26mm at f1.2 or f1.4, and a 35mm at f1.7.

26mm 1.4 Review
  • henro_ben 27 Jun 2011 13:58:58 2,220 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    secombe wrote:

26mm 1.4 Review

Bleurgh. A lot of those example shots make my eyes feel funny! It's that strange way the bokeh mixes with the softness on the edge of the lens - makes me feel drunk when I look at some of those.
  • Nth 27 Jun 2011 14:02:29 3,121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I quite like the mono shots on there.
  • TheRealBadabing 27 Jun 2011 17:21:33 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some people are fine without a VF, especially if they have a DSLR to use for more serious/technical shots. I only have one camera so it has to be a jack-of-all-trades.
  • PrivateFloyd 30 Jun 2011 19:37:19 4,182 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    i have a FD 50mm f1.4 on its way too me at the moment for my e-p1. And an adaptor.

Any of you lot know anything about the rarity of the commemorative front lens caps Canon did for the Olympics and World Cups in the late 70's/early 80's?

Apparently my 50mm is coming with one of these caps and they are apparently quite rare.

I have ordered a leather skin wrap for it to make it look even more retro, yet to take any amazing photos on it though!!!

Goat is hungry.....

• TheRealBadabing 1 Jul 2011 00:32:53 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ooooh, let me know how you get on with the 50 1.4, specifically how easy you find it to focus quickly.

Was torn between that and the macro 50 and ended up with the macro to try some creepy insect portraits.

Still want a fast 50 for general use though; loved my old 50 1.8 on the 350D. Nobody seems interested in doing a cheap lens like that for any of the newer mirrorless bodies.
  • monkman76 1 Jul 2011 09:29:24 4,758 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Isn't there a 45 1.8 on its way for m4/3? I'd wait for that if you can afford it and get autofocus. Tricky to nail focus manually at f1.8 especially if your subject is moving at all - been trying with a Canon FD 50 1.8 on my new NEX. Guess I just need more practice..
  • TheRealBadabing 1 Jul 2011 09:42:31 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was excited about the 45 until I saw the estimated price.

No doubt it will be a great lens but in order to get fast AF, Olympus seem to be saying an upgrade to the E-P*3 range will be required. Admittedly, even on an E-PL1 it will be much faster than my fat sausage fingers trying to focus manually.
  • henro_ben 1 Jul 2011 09:44:58 2,220 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:

Any of you lot know anything about the rarity of the commemorative front lens caps Canon did for the Olympics and World Cups in the late 70's/early 80's?

Apparently my 50mm is coming with one of these caps and they are apparently quite rare.

Not sure how rare they are, but I've seen quite a few on eBay over the last few months - although that might just be because it's the sort of thing people would keep.

What's it like with manual focusing? I'm still vaguely tempted to get one, but the 20mm 1.7 is so far proving very satisfying on the GF1.
  • Nth 1 Jul 2011 10:28:32 3,121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can see my 20mm 1.7 being on my Pen almost permanently now I've adjusted to the field of view. It cost twice what I paid for the body but it was worth it!
  • monkman76 1 Jul 2011 10:37:37 4,758 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes, Sony need to release an equivalent (30 f2?) in NEX mount!
  • PrivateFloyd 1 Jul 2011 12:30:17 4,182 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Henro I havnt received it yet but will update when I get it. Looks like it's in superb condition.

Playing around with the idea of selling the 17mm pancake and getting the panny 20mm.

That new 45mm 1.8 looks nice but I knew they were going to price it just outta reach, 300 for that or 50 for an FD adaptor and 1.4 50mm? Il take alot more out of learning to MF properly. I have my pancake for shots I want to take quick.

Goat is hungry.....

• PrivateFloyd 1 Jul 2011 14:51:13 4,182 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Unbelievable.

Wife just rang. Postie chucked my 50mm over the fence while we were out and smashed it.

Raging. Seller put no protective packaging on the lens at all either.

Goat is hungry.....

• PhoenixFlames 1 Jul 2011 14:56:03 9,185 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Unbelievable.

Wife just rang. Postie chucked my 50mm over the fence while we were out and smashed it.

o_O Tosser.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• mal 1 Jul 2011 15:11:13 22,710 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ouch! The curse of the 50mm strikes again!

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Jeepers 1 Jul 2011 15:21:51 13,183 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Unbelievable.

Fuck me - did your wife see him do it? What a massive twat.
  • Deleted user 1 July 2011 16:28:44
    Fork, wasn't the package spammed with FRAGILE labels? I'd be fuming as well if that happened to me. Have ordered at least 5 lenses from ebay and the like, no such nasty surprises. :(
  • secombe 2 Jul 2011 11:00:45 1,332 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    secombe wrote:

It'll be interesting to see what kind of results you get with that.

I've seen some interesting street stuff shot with cctv lenses, although apparently they can have issues with flare, fringing, vignetting & sharpness - they seem to suit a certain type of shot though. The street stuff I've seen always looks quite moody & atmospheric.

For 32 well worth a play with it!

My impossibly small lens arrived, took it out in the garden to have a little play with it. Super impressed, really easy to use, just switch the E-PL2 to Aperture mode and do all the rest with the lens rings (one ring for aperture, one for focus), a few samples with no processing...

CCTV Lens Samples

I will give it a proper work out over the next few weeks, but so far really pleased, the small area of sharpness really is quite sharp.
  • PrivateFloyd 2 Jul 2011 11:20:12 4,182 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well in a random turn of events i contacted the seller yesterday about the fact the lens wasnt protected, he was seriously apologetic. So much so he offered this;

He claims on the insurance (luckily he put the insurance at 150, not sure how that's gonna work yet though.) He has driven to my house this morning from Birmingham, refunded me in full AND given me the FD 50mm 1.8 instead for free (I know it's only worth 30 tops but the gesture surprised me!!)

He's just left, lovely bloke, makes a bit of a living off eBay selling used photography equipment, he had trusted a family member to parcel my lens and fucked it up.

It's not the 1.4 but at least I can try out the 1.8 and if I like I can take the plunge later.

I have filed a separate complaint with the post office, what an idiot my postie must be.

Goat is hungry.....

• Deleted user 2 July 2011 12:10:24
    What a nice seller! The ones that care about their online stores are really nice and professional, hats off to them. I'd go nuts having to deal with the muppets that dwell on ebay etc looking for ways to scam, give negative feedback, etc while protected by the "net anonymity".
  • Jeepers 2 Jul 2011 13:13:08 13,183 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice guy - want to name his eBay account ID so we can (hopefully) make him some more cash in the future?
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next