Lunchtime Beer Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Dougs 24 Jun 2011 15:45:47 67,829 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    Koozies? That's a great idea!

I have learnt something new today. Thanks Khanivor.

Also known as a stubby buddy in AustraliaLand. I have several. They're ace
  • Khanivor 24 Jun 2011 15:47:59 40,808 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Go forth, young man, go forth and discover the joys of big Stella weed smell!! And report back with your findings

The Stella has gone skunky. Which means a) it smells like weed and b) it's been fucked up by sunlight. Giant clear bottles are not a good thing for beer to be contained in.
  • Lukey__b 24 Jun 2011 15:51:43 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    cianchristopher wrote:
    L_Franko wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    cianchristopher wrote:
    I love large bottles of beer - the 660ml bottles. Fucking awesome!
    The big Stella ones are cheap at Tesco at the moment, think they're like £1.50 or something.

I swear, when you pop the top on one of those and take a sniff, it smells like really good weed.

Totally! I know exactly what you mean.

I'll check 'em out - I love the smell of weed - and I love beer - and I love large bottles of beer - so this sounds like the GREATEST PRODUCT IN THE HISTORY OF TIME
    Go forth, young man, go forth and discover the joys of big Stella weed smell!! And report back with your findings

Haha, my brother and I notice the same thing. It's not just large bottles, the standard bottles stink of weed when you crack em open.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• bigshot316 24 Jun 2011 15:51:45 23,818 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stella bottles are green, and all stella in bottles anywhere ever has this smell for a scond when you pop a bottle.

Sniff it next time you do!
  • Khanivor 24 Jun 2011 15:54:37 40,808 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Duh, so they are. Green ain't much better than clear.
  • mal 24 Jun 2011 15:55:26 22,582 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    2 doombars over lunch.... nom nom
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    2 doombars over lunch.... nom nom

4 pints? That's quite a session!

Re Corona - that be a girl's drink. Men drink beer from pint glasses. Plus it's well known that any drink that commonly is served with citrus is only served that way because it tastes foul without it. Though to be fair, I'm pretty sure a Fosters would be improved with a generous slice of lemon, if not a gill of pure juice. And wheat beers are excepted from the lemon classification (but it does apply to green tea).

There are plenty of decent lagers around. Heineken can be quite pleasant these days. Morretti is rather nice. Peroni if they've nothing else, but it is a little plain. I will drink Fosters if I go into a pub and all they've got is Carling, Kronie, Wife Beater and Fosters though. Although I can always fall back on Guinness if the lager selection is lacking.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• bigshot316 24 Jun 2011 15:56:22 23,818 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmmm..

Either all shops everywhere are storing it wrong or it's just how it is.. I think?
  • smoothpete 24 Jun 2011 15:56:54 31,520 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only twats have lime in their Corona. The mexicans only did that to keep the flies out of it
  • bigshot316 24 Jun 2011 15:57:59 23,818 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I agree, and it ruins the taste!!
  • smoothpete 24 Jun 2011 15:58:46 31,520 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    khani I don't think they are using "skunk" to refer to a weed-like smell. They're using it to mean just plain old doesn't smell nice

edit - yeah they're not at all

"The reasons why light is so damaging to your beer gets technical fast, but basically, the light causes alpha-acids (the key component of hops) to break down and combine with other chemicals in beer to create 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol, a sulfur-containing substance which produces the strong sulfur smell which is extremely similar to isopentyl mercaptan, or skunk spray. Itís easy to see why light-struck beer got its skunky nickname; itís almost the exact same smell."
  • Khanivor 24 Jun 2011 15:59:05 40,808 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    bigshot316 wrote:
    Hmmm..

Either all shops everywhere are storing it wrong or it's just how it is.. I think?

Does it smell skunky when poured from the tap?

Stella's skunky smell is more pronounced then others, which is probably down to its chemical makeup being more susceptible to UV.
  • bigshot316 24 Jun 2011 16:00:48 23,818 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not from the tap, no.

I know I always mention it and I always get chastised, but as shit as Fosters is, Fosters Ice was my favourite light, summery lager ever.
    It was delicious and could be either drunk slowly and enjoyed, but also it was an easy beer to glug!!
  • Khanivor 24 Jun 2011 16:01:15 40,808 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pete, there's a reason skunk weed is called skunk!
  • THFourteen 24 Jun 2011 16:01:23 33,487 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Re Corona - that be a girl's drink. Men drink beer from pint glasses.

its my new way of avoiding horrendous post-work drink hangovers

drink bottles at the same pace everyone else drinks pint

sure fire winner
  • Lukey__b 24 Jun 2011 16:01:57 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Pete, there's a reason skunk weed is called skunk!

Not because it smells like a skunk.

Edit: Actually, I've never smelt a skunk but I don't imagine they smell at all pleasant.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• smoothpete 24 Jun 2011 16:02:45 31,520 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just to clarify, I'm talking about it smelling like weed. Not caused by sunlight.

You're talking about it smelling like Pepe Le Pew's arse. Caused by sunlight.
  • smoothpete 24 Jun 2011 16:05:01 31,520 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Khani, your mission this w/e is to get sprayed by a skunk. Full on in the face. Only then can we resolve this confusion.

(and no, skunk weed is called that because it has a strong smell, but not because that smell is similar to what an actual skunk spray smells like)
  • Dougs 24 Jun 2011 16:05:51 67,829 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

its my new way of avoiding horrendous post-work drink hangovers

drink bottles at the same pace everyone else drinks pint

sure fire winner

Poof! A bottle for that long would be flat....
  • Khanivor 24 Jun 2011 16:06:23 40,808 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's the same smell. The reason Stella, Becks and many other beers smell like skunk is because of sunlight. The reason some weed is called skunk is because it smells like skunk. It's the same kind of smell hence the same word being used.
  • smoothpete 24 Jun 2011 16:08:12 31,520 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No it fucking doesn't!

"a highly offensive smell that can be described as a combination of the odors of rotten eggs, garlic and burnt rubber."

• Khanivor 24 Jun 2011 16:08:14 40,808 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    (and no, skunk weed is called that because it has a strong smell, but not because that smell is similar to what an actual skunk spray smells like)

Well the next time I'm driving down the road and catch a hefty blast of weed I'll pull over and go find the plants. And ignore the black and white animal with the quivering tail :)
  • Lukey__b 24 Jun 2011 16:08:49 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've had beer that has gone bad and smelt kind of eggy. That's what I imagine 'skunked' beer is. Not at all nice.

I've never has a bottle of stella that hasn't smelt of weed. But then it's only bottles and not cans , so maybe there is something to Kahni's theory. I can't think why only the bottles would smell of it and not a can.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• Khanivor 24 Jun 2011 16:13:32 40,808 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pete, it does. I've smelt plenty of skunk, both of the flora and fauna type. The smell is incredibly similar. I think you're just having me on, tbh.

Lukey - cans are impervious to UV, which is why you don't get the skunky smell from canned beer. There's also a connection to why you typically get limes with clear-bottled beers like Corona.
  • Lukey__b 24 Jun 2011 16:18:41 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Pete, it does. I've smelt plenty of skunk, both of the flora and fauna type. The smell is incredibly similar. I think you're just having me on, tbh.

Lukey - cans are impervious to UV, which is why you don't get the skunky smell from canned beer. There's also a connection to why you typically get limes with clear-bottled beers like Corona.

Of course. Had a bit of a brain blank there.

I wouldn't have thought the two smell similar, the animal and the plant. Skunk weed doesn't smell bad and I thought the whole thing with the animal is that it smells awful.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• PazJohnMitch 24 Jun 2011 16:21:22 8,087 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wish I had not entered this thread.

/Has yet to have a day off this month. Closest is a mere 6 hours one Sunday. Unless you count waiting 12 hours in Beijing airport for a ridiculously delayed flight as a day off.
  • megastar 24 Jun 2011 16:23:10 17,186 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tuborg is the best coz it has a trendy ring pull and everything!!!
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Jun 2011 16:25:10 8,087 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    megastar wrote:
    Tuborg is the best coz it has a trendy ring pull and everything!!!

I hope that is sarcasm.
  • kalel 24 Jun 2011 16:26:36 87,775 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've had experience of both types of skunk and they really smell nothing alike.
  • Faceman 24 Jun 2011 16:26:45 741 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am quite liking Bud '66 at the moment.

/hangs head in shame
  • Page

of 5 First / Last