• Page

of 19 First / Last

• ModishNouns 23 Jun 2011 15:27:18 4,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Faceman wrote:
    generica wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Your crackpot simplifications don't belong here.

What happened to this forum? I wanted to make a brief point that there is a relationship between crime and inequality and rather than blame the individuals involved we should also be critical of the government. Obviously it is very nuanced, obviously crime is not the sole responsibility of a government, but I think it is important to point out the role they play, particularly with a story like this which has the effect of deflecting attention away. If this is a discussion about who to blame then my contribution is to say the government plays a big part. Assume there is an asterisk attached which takes you to the point *obviously it is a bit more complicated than that. I mentioned not wanting to sound like a cliché in that first post, I knew it was a simplification, but I assumed people were clever enough to understand that I was trying to make a broad point. Instead I'm being made to feel silly. It's madness.

So to summarise your point: the government should ban balaclavas?

That's a view I've held for a long time but no one ever listens.
  • Chopsen 23 Jun 2011 15:27:46 15,723 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Faceman wrote:
    So to summarise your point: the government should ban balaclavas?

You obviously like face, man.
  • kalel 23 Jun 2011 15:28:19 86,344 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    generica wrote:
    If this is a discussion about who to blame then my contribution is to say the government plays a big part. Assume there is an asterisk attached which takes you to the point *obviously it is a bit more complicated than that. I mentioned not wanting to sound like a cliché in that first post, I knew it was a simplification, but I assumed people were clever enough to understand that I was trying to make a broad point. Instead I'm being made to feel silly. It's madness.

MADNESS!!

The deeper discussion was more about whether committing a crime should in itself mean you lose the right to not have a crime committed against you.

You were the only person talking about causes of crime, and again, I think you chose the wrong discussion to bring it up in.
  • generica 23 Jun 2011 15:29:37 4,273 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe, but as I say, I wanted it to be a brief point.
  • cianchristopher 23 Jun 2011 15:29:50 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime...
  • Khanivor 23 Jun 2011 15:30:05 40,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Four people breaking into a house sounds a bit excessive, unless it was some giant mansion. What perchance the people living in the house were about to have some violence visited upon them for matters not necessarily related to defending an Xbox.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2011 15:30:05
    You know what causes petty crime? Liberal nonces going on about how the perpetrators are victims of "poor socio-economic conditions". In western society we have structures in place that mean people don't have to burgle others to survive,

But certain people, including an alarming portion of the legal system, give them a green light to do what they want because it's not their fault, the poor little flowers. They can't help it if they are too stupid or lazy to achieve things the same way everyone else does, by earning it.

Home invasions should be handled over here the same way as they are in a lot of the states in the US. If you trespass on someones property with the purpose of harming them or stealing from them then you are fair game for whatever happens to you.
  • Brodie 23 Jun 2011 15:31:39 187 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    Brodie wrote:
    Four guys break in to my house.

I'm in, and so is my petite wife.

Should I let them take the stuff I've worked hard for, possibly attack us, make us feel like shit in our own house?

Or should I stick/brain/smash the feckers with whatever is close to hand that'll do the job?

Oh noes, somebody think of the socio-economic conditions. FUCK. THAT.

The 2nd one!!

Yeah, cos taking on four guys at the same time after they've caught you unawares is a splendid idea.

No, no it's not. But if it's the difference between just getting done over anyway, or my wife getting attacked, I WILL stand up for myself.

But fuck it, I should probably just offer them a cuppa and help them load the van with my gear eh?
  • Deleted user 23 June 2011 15:32:41
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    You know what causes petty crime? Liberal nonces going on about how the perpetrators are victims of "poor socio-economic conditions".
    Lol, what a spaz.
  • Dolly 23 Jun 2011 15:32:53 3,203 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    You know what causes petty crime? Liberal nonces going on about how the perpetrators are victims of "poor socio-economic conditions". In western society we have structures in place that mean people don't have to burgle others to survive,

But certain people, including an alarming portion of the legal system, give them a green light to do what they want because it's not their fault, the poor little flowers. They can't help it if they are too stupid or lazy to achieve things the same way everyone else does, by earning it.

Home invasions should be handled over here the same way as they are in a lot of the states in the US. If you trespass on someones property with the purpose of harming them or stealing from them then you are fair game for whatever happens to you.

America, FUCK YEAH!
  • Big-Swiss 23 Jun 2011 15:34:07 8,076 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    so should a Ewok kill a whookiee if he tries to conquer Endor?
    or should he get a second Ewok for a threesome?

its calles thread multitasking! all 3 interesting threads of the day combined, and none of them are related to games, now thats how EG rolls.

• AcidSnake 23 Jun 2011 15:34:41 7,214 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime...

Tough on slogans, tough on the causes of slogans...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• ecureuil 23 Jun 2011 15:35:10 76,496 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:

lol :D
  • senso-ji 23 Jun 2011 15:35:58 5,791 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:

You are Richard Littlejohn AICMFP
  • sport 23 Jun 2011 15:36:31 12,545 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Where are you, Smuggo?
  • Big-Swiss 23 Jun 2011 15:37:59 8,076 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    is he rebanned?
  • Genji 23 Jun 2011 15:38:16 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    Brodie wrote:
    Four guys break in to my house.

I'm in, and so is my petite wife.

Should I let them take the stuff I've worked hard for, possibly attack us, make us feel like shit in our own house?

Or should I stick/brain/smash the feckers with whatever is close to hand that'll do the job?

Oh noes, somebody think of the socio-economic conditions. FUCK. THAT.

The 2nd one!!
    If it's four guys, then I would probably just let them take what they want. Especially if they're armed. I'd much prefer to have stuff stolen, to having stuff stolen *and* the shit kicked out of me. It's not worth it.

If I had a gun, or something to enable me to beat four men... well, that's a different story.

That, or a trapped house. Home Alone style.

/rigs bowling ball trap
  • Chopsen 23 Jun 2011 15:38:27 15,723 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Page 1
  • Brodie 23 Jun 2011 15:38:55 187 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Katana on a door return spring?
  • Khanivor 23 Jun 2011 15:39:45 40,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:

Course, the invaders know this so in many cases they go in and shoot the homeowners right away. Result!
  • Dolly 23 Jun 2011 15:39:52 3,203 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In all seriousness, 4 guys taking on a house full of people is surely only worth a high stakes hoard, like a footballers gaff etc.
    You would think this might be a gangster-like related crime or a revenge attack of some description for just an average home.
  • cianchristopher 23 Jun 2011 15:40:45 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Brodie wrote:
    cianchristopher wrote:

Yeah, cos taking on four guys at the same time after they've caught you unawares is a splendid idea.

No, no it's not. But if it's the difference between just getting done over anyway, or my wife getting attacked, I WILL stand up for myself.

But fuck it, I should probably just offer them a cuppa and help them load the van with my gear eh?

Yep! It has to be one or the other of those two choices you've mentioned. There's absolutely no other way of dealing with it, inside of those two extremes.
  • Chopsen 23 Jun 2011 15:42:19 15,723 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The deeper discussion was more about whether committing a crime should in itself mean you lose the right to not have a crime committed against you.

It's not that you lose the right to not have a crime committed against you. Any functioning society seems to run by the rule that if you commit a crime, you loose some rights or other: freedom of movement, freedom from pain, right to life etc. If you are deprived of those rights by a complicated judicial system or by YEEEEEEEEHAAA! ruff justice is really just a question of methodology.
  • Faceman 23 Jun 2011 15:42:37 741 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    spudsbuckley wrote:

Course, the invaders know this so in many cases they go in and shoot the homeowners right away. Result!

Simple solution is to shoot anyone wearing balaclavas. Or trendy hats.
  • Dolly 23 Jun 2011 15:44:05 3,203 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Faceman wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    spudsbuckley wrote:

Simple solution is to shoot anyone wearing balaclavas. Or trendy hats.

/makes mental note to stay inside during the winter months.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2011 15:45:06
    I hope the bastard rots in hell. Anybody who robs you does not have rights.
  • superflyninja 23 Jun 2011 15:45:18 460 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dolly wrote:
    spudsbuckley wrote:

America, FUCK YEAH!
    in fairness if some prick broke into my house, my thoughts would be more on defending my young child/herself. This is someone forcing their way into your home,who knows what they are capable of? First priority would be the protection of your loved ones whether that meant the thief got a beating or not. If they come into your home uninvited they shouldnt have the protection of the law.

Put away those firey biscuits

• Deleted user 23 June 2011 15:45:34
    I'd like to see the fuckers break in to my house, but then again, I live in prison and Bubba could do with someone else to rape. Though he's still a bit sore after Warden NicktheGun wanted to see him for five minutes.
  • thedaveeyres 23 Jun 2011 15:46:18 10,686 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    spudsbuckley wrote:

Unless they have a positive K/D on COD:Blops, they're in for a nasty surprise.

The ones I truly feel sorry for in this regard are the Battlefield players...

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Deleted user 23 June 2011 15:46:44
    ecureuil wrote:
    spudsbuckley wrote:

lol :D

Meh. I grew up on a council estate and I, along with the rest of the people who actually worked hard to improve their situation, are long gone from the place and have moved on to bigger and better things.

And who's left? The same useless cunts who never bothered to work a day in their lives and their useless scumbag kids i grew up with, living in the same shitty houses they were born in 30 years ago waiting to get a council house of their own. A vicious circle of state sponsored uselessness. The welfare system in Ireland is actually a viable means of making a living.
  • Page

of 19 First / Last