Burglar killed in Manchester Page 16

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• Tiger_Walts 22 Jul 2011 13:35:36 16,607 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CPS have decided that it was self defence. There are still others involved who are to face charges of aggravated burglary.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• DiamondIce 22 Jul 2011 14:20:19 1,185 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mekanik wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    I'd use my family as a human shield if it saved my guitar.

+1

although i would give my dogs a chance to eat the burglar first before throwing the remains of my family at them.

I have always thought of that as a means of disposal. The dogs I mean.

If someone breaks into my house, I doubt too many others will know they are there.

So, we chop them up, and feed them to the dogs. I think the more discerning dog may turn his nose up but my other one will eat anything. That is how I have kept our patio so untouched.

FLOPS! RAM!

• richarddavies 22 Jul 2011 14:25:41 2,735 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Funnily enough I was helping a mate last weekend who has his own business with a job and we got talking and he mentioned this story and asked me if I remembered the burglar who got killed. I said I knew he lived in my town where I live but couldn't picture him. Turns out the guy was in the same year as me at school. Be fucked if I can remember what he looks like though. Im dying to find a picture of him now to see if it jogs my memory but I can't find one.
  • Gearskin 27 Jul 2011 18:10:36 2,045 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Again!?
  • Ka-blamo 27 Jul 2011 18:13:08 7,471 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh dear
  • Vice.Destroyer 28 Jul 2011 00:44:18 5,850 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, well. I wonder what they'll do to that man. 72 years old and stabs the people that tried to rob him. And unless the gun found on the premises was his, I'd say that was reasonable force. I'm prepared to march for that dude.
  • Vice.Destroyer 28 Jul 2011 00:58:55 5,850 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The BBC has not quite got all the facts about 72 year old Cecil Coley killing those intruders. Hopefully he gets off.
  • Genji 28 Jul 2011 01:01:10 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    The BBC has not quite got all the facts about 72 year old Cecil Coley killing those intruders. Hopefully he gets off.
    I hope he didn't get off after the attack. O_o
  • Vice.Destroyer 28 Jul 2011 01:06:32 5,850 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hohoho. But out of interest, Genji. As a member of the british public, where do you stand in the debate of reasonable force when protecting your home and business. Is it reasonable to lash out against a man with a gun with a knife? Or should he be done for murder like Tony Martin?
  • Genji 28 Jul 2011 01:16:55 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    Hohoho. But out of interest, Genji. As a member of the british public, where do you stand in the debate of reasonable force when protecting your home and business. Is it reasonable to lash out against a man with a gun with a knife? Or should he be done for murder like Tony Martin?
    Define "reasonable". In that situation - ie. him with a gun, you with a knife - I don't think it would be a very smart thing to do. Gun beats knife.

As far as prosecutions go, I don't think a murder charge should apply in that situation. As long as it was actually self-defence. Still, I think a large, blunt object would be a bit better for defending yourself and not killing the guy. I dunno.

And don't you dare call me a "member of the British public". I'LL KILL YOU

/breaks bottle
  • Psychotext 28 Jul 2011 01:17:07 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Note to self, do not attempt to rob someone in Manchester.
  • Vice.Destroyer 28 Jul 2011 09:17:40 5,850 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Genji
    I'll be hard-pressed to see it being anything other than self-defence. The guy was playing dominoes in his shop. You don't pick fights with customers in your own shop. Certainly not the guys with guns.

I hope they acquit him sharpish
  • THFourteen 28 Jul 2011 09:28:14 33,857 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah well played that man.

More people need to stand up for themselves, make the world a better place.

I realise thats an easy thing to say, as I doubt i'd have the balls to do so, i'd rather just give up my stuff and take what comes, but on the inside i'd wish i was going all Jackie Chan on their ass
  • glaeken 28 Jul 2011 09:37:39 11,223 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:

Tony Martin laid an ambush for the burglars and shot them in the back as they were running away. We don't know the details of this latest case yet but the Martin one is pretty clearly not covered by self defence.

Personally I think they should have been more lenient on Martin though and gone with a man slaughter charge. When you look at what he had to go through with repeated burglaries from the same group of people I think what he did is understandable. He knew they would be back again if they got away and clearly law enforcement was failing him.

• warlockuk 28 Jul 2011 09:56:57 19,189 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Who the fuck robs a florist?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Vice.Destroyer 28 Jul 2011 10:19:14 5,850 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @glaeken
    I did not know that. This whole time, I thought that he had heard suspicious noises and went to investigate. Bearing that in mind, I'm surprised you wanted manslaughter for him. That sounds like pre-meditated murder to me.
  • glaeken 28 Jul 2011 10:24:21 11,223 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The same group of guys had been robbing him every month or so for some time and from what I remember he knew who they were and the police just did not seem to be able to do anything about it. I think in that situation its actually fairly understandable that he maybe cracked a little under the pressure so that is why I think leniency was in order. I can see in his mind he probably thought he had no choice about his actions.

• Mekanik 28 Jul 2011 10:33:32 3,606 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How long before we see warning signs in shops saying "Danger: Thieves will be Shot and Killed". Would that make it ok then all the time as they were warned in advance?

If it was self-defence (and it really looks like it) i hope he gets off. Sends yet another message out to the scum.

And i sypathise with Tony Martin. Must have been quite terrifying for him being in the middle of no-where and getting these assholes harrassing him so regularly.
  • DaM 28 Jul 2011 11:27:21 13,337 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mekanik wrote:
    How long before we see warning signs in shops saying "Danger: Thieves will be Shot and Killed". Would that make it ok then all the time as they were warned in advance?

I was in Texas a few years ago, and next to the No Smoking signs on shop doors, were similarly style No Guns stickers!

Tony Martin was stretching self-defence quite a bit - what would have happened if a child had walked into the trap (I think it was a shotgun linked to a wire?). Still, if you have broken into someone's house, I think all bets are off....

Remember the 2 guys who broke into Duncan Ferguson's house? I can just picture the look of joy on his face when he realised he could lawfully kick the buggery out of them :)
  • Vice.Destroyer 28 Jul 2011 11:50:35 5,850 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:

I hate to be that guy, but what are you saying? That robbers feel shame? Anything with a cash register is worth a punt if you're a thief. So, in short, robbers would rob a florist.
  • LionheartDJH 28 Jul 2011 12:02:47 19,492 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DaM wrote:

Remember the 2 guys who broke into Duncan Ferguson's house? I can just picture the look of joy on his face when he realised he could lawfully kick the buggery out of them :)

2 guys broke into big Dunc' house? Fucking hell, did they survive? Of all the footie players to rob he'd rank pretty high on the 'risk of death' list.

As for Tony Martin, yeah I too feel sympathy for him and agree with the manslaughter thing glaeken. Maybe he shouldn't have gone as far as he did, but given the circumstances with the repeated burglaries and no action taken by the authorities I can understand where he was coming from. Must be awful to feel so threatened and helpless on your own property.

And yeah don't really feel sympathy for this dead guy with a gun. Not saying the guy should have gone as far as to kill him, but in that kind of situation you're not really going to stop and think, removing the threat is absolutely paramount. Hopefully more scumbags will realise that actually some people won't be pushovers and hand over their stuff just cos you threaten them, and they may indeed cause you some level of harm.

She dives for cheese pasties

• JuanKerr 28 Jul 2011 12:05:44 36,320 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    2 guys broke into big Dunc' house? Fucking hell, did they survive? Of all the footie players to rob he'd rank pretty high on the 'risk of death' list.

From The Guardian:

When Carl Bishop smashed his way into a grand house on a leafy avenue in Formby, Merseyside, successfully evading the security system, he was delighted to find a bounty of champagne and whisky. But there was one 6ft 4in item of anti-burglary technology that he had reckoned without: the Everton striker Duncan Ferguson. Bishop tried to smash a bottle of vodka over the footballer's head, before feeling the full force of "Big Dunc's" fist in his face the thief was confined to hospital for two days. It was the second attempted robbery that Ferguson had foiled in his home; two years earlier, in 2001, he had sat on a thief until the police arrived.
  • LionheartDJH 28 Jul 2011 12:07:07 19,492 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haha brilliant, what a guy!

She dives for cheese pasties

• warlockuk 28 Jul 2011 12:12:18 19,189 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:

I hate to be that guy, but what are you saying? That robbers feel shame? Anything with a cash register is worth a punt if you're a thief. So, in short, robbers would rob a florist.
    You hear about people robbing news agents and all those sorts of places but robbing a florist just seems weird. I guess anywhere with cash and all that, but still - seems like one of the least manly places to rob. I imagine the surviving thief is getting his masculinity heckled on a daily basis on the inside. Of his ass.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• JuanKerr 28 Jul 2011 12:13:41 36,320 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    His next target was a tanning salon.
  • Vice.Destroyer 30 Jul 2011 08:43:00 5,850 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cecil Coley has been released on bail. Those motherfuckers broke his jaw! They broke the jaw of a 72 year old man.
  • Load_2.0 30 Jul 2011 08:56:40 19,445 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:

Blooming idiots.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jul 2011 11:40:26 38,705 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:

Blooming idiots.
    http://www.instantrimshot.com/

:-)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 19 First / Last