Burglar killed in Manchester Page 2

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• RunningMan 23 Jun 2011 14:30:32 2,386 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bit more news on the bbc, 4 men tried to get in. The stabbed guy was carried off and then dumped in the street.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2011 14:30:35
    I hope generica wrote that post on his wood stump.
  • cianchristopher 23 Jun 2011 14:31:31 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dot_Cottons_ashtray wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    I'm quite happy to sit in the camp that says you should be allowed to defend yourself and your property. However, I won't comment and this particular case until I've read some more as stabbed to death sounds a bit...

I read a while back that stabbing someone, even in what might seem like a relatively non-vital body area, can quite easily cause death as it's so easy to rupture a major artery leading to massive blood loss and death. So say you find some guy with his leg through the kitchen window and you just grab a knife and stab his leg to make him stop. If you cut the artery then they could easily die from it without it being excessive.

Mind = blown!
  • generica 23 Jun 2011 14:31:32 4,273 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    generica wrote:

The real criminals are those who create the material conditions which encourage petty crime to exist. I'm sorry if I sound like a cliché saying that but I find this whole story a distraction from that important point. Why does crime exist?

Eh? So it's the homeowner's fault he gets robbed because he had a shit load of expensive stuff inside?

No not at all. I'm talking about governments.
  • thedaveeyres 23 Jun 2011 14:31:35 10,709 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    Link.

I cannot believe Burglars have any sort of rights, even not to be attacked...

I think the law is designed to protect the innocent. I mean, what if you went to the wrong house, were mistakenly on someone else's property, and end up getting killed over what was just an honest mistake? If we could legally kill people who trespass on our property, the worry is that innocent people would die.

There are obviously gray areas and exceptions, like everything else on the planet.....but the one we're talking about was 4 men in balaclavas wearing black entering the house.

Tina Turner impersonators?

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Youthist 23 Jun 2011 14:32:17 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Give it a rest generica FFS. You are talking shit.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Youthist 23 Jun 2011 14:33:07 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dot_Cottons_ashtray wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    I'm quite happy to sit in the camp that says you should be allowed to defend yourself and your property. However, I won't comment and this particular case until I've read some more as stabbed to death sounds a bit...

I read a while back that stabbing someone, even in what might seem like a relatively non-vital body area, can quite easily cause death as it's so easy to rupture a major artery leading to massive blood loss and death. So say you find some guy with his leg through the kitchen window and you just grab a knife and stab his leg to make him stop. If you cut the artery then they could easily die from it without it being excessive.

Unbelieveable!

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Deleted user 23 June 2011 14:34:28
    generica wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    generica wrote:

The real criminals are those who create the material conditions which encourage petty crime to exist. I'm sorry if I sound like a cliché saying that but I find this whole story a distraction from that important point. Why does crime exist?

Eh? So it's the homeowner's fault he gets robbed because he had a shit load of expensive stuff inside?

lolwot?
  • X201 23 Jun 2011 14:36:04 15,157 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thread title has been victim of robbery. Someone nicked the 'h'
  • Ka-blamo 23 Jun 2011 14:37:41 7,295 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh crumbs you're right lol

I was looking and thinking....Bhurglar?
  • sport 23 Jun 2011 14:41:31 12,584 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't imagine sticking a knife into anyone, even a burglar. My bare hands would be enough though.
  • Ka-blamo 23 Jun 2011 14:42:03 7,295 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    /rolls eyes
  • beastmaster 23 Jun 2011 14:42:43 11,199 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This comes up every few years.

There was a program on the BBC a few years ago about defending your property and the steps that have been taken by some people.

From what a remember, it pretty much said that you could do what you wanted "within reason" to defend it. Including actually taking a life. It's happened quite a few times and there's few (if any) convictions. I'm sure someone here knows if that's true or not (or to what level).

The one thing that I remember from the program was how someone (could have been a member of the police) told the story of how one man restrained a burglar, dug a hole in his garden and threw the burglar in. He then filled up the hole with petrol and lit it.

It wasn't so much the story itself but the guy who told it described the guys actions as "excessive".

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Dolly 23 Jun 2011 14:42:46 3,208 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe the burglar stabbed himself in self defence?

Maybe the burglar had a mental tic that he needed to make a sarnie in the middle of every 'job' and he cut his finger whilst slicing a particular hard cucumber, leading to dramatic blood loss?

Maybe the knife was being used to prop open a fire door and the burglar stood on it, causing it to pierce straight through his ninja boot.

Maybe the owners had a cat with a laserbeam on his head and knives for legs?

All plausible explanations.

• kalel 23 Jun 2011 14:43:33 86,426 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Crime is definitely rooted in socioeconomic/culturual issues, but to suggest it's the fault of governments is ludicrously over-simplified at best.
  • Dolly 23 Jun 2011 14:45:55 3,208 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What about God?
  • X201 23 Jun 2011 14:47:40 15,157 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dolly wrote:
    What about God?

Guilty of mass genocide with all of the earthquakes and volcano eruptions that are attributed to him.
  • Dolly 23 Jun 2011 14:49:46 3,208 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Dolly wrote:
    What about God?

Guilty of mass genocide with all of the earthquakes and volcano eruptions that are attributed to him.

Someone should stab the cunt then.
  • generica 23 Jun 2011 14:49:59 4,273 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Crime is definitely rooted in socioeconomic/culturual issues, but to suggest it's the fault of governments is ludicrously over-simplified at best.

I'm pointing out the 'socioecenomic' relationship because I think a story like this is a distraction from it ("who is to blame, the burglar or the killers?" the answer is C). If governments aren't the cause of our material conditions then what or who is? It might be a simplification but I don't think it's wrong to suggest that governments create inequality in society.
  • Dolly 23 Jun 2011 14:51:30 3,208 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here comes the science part!
  • Youthist 23 Jun 2011 14:52:06 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes I can see how you were not suggesting it when you wrote the following:

generica wrote:

• generica 23 Jun 2011 14:53:17 4,273 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I edited that out. When I wrote that I assumed Kalel was saying it was an over simplification to suggest it was entirely the governments fault.
  • Chopsen 23 Jun 2011 14:54:17 15,745 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good to see generica chanelling Alan Parker
  • thedaveeyres 23 Jun 2011 14:54:55 10,709 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love how this is fast becoming a condemnation of the capitalist oligarchic despotism that we exist in as members of a first world economy... do go on.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Dolly 23 Jun 2011 14:55:36 3,208 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This guy reminds me of Student Grant.
  • Youthist 23 Jun 2011 14:55:57 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like how no fault can be laid at the feet of those involved in the entire sorry tale.

• Ged42 23 Jun 2011 14:56:25 7,704 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Are automated gun turrets 'excessive force?'
  • mal 23 Jun 2011 14:57:14 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2000/apr/19/rostaylor1?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Ka-blamo 23 Jun 2011 14:57:16 7,295 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The thread has spiraled into over-analysed uselessness quicker than I thought.

2 pages, nice work :)
  • Page

of 19 First / Last