Battlefield 3 - Gaming/online chats times (pew pew) Page 512

• Page

of 514 First / Last

• Tryhard 26 Mar 2013 11:01:28 3,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Like I said earlier in this thread,in BC2 if I had some time off from the game,I'd struggle for about 3-5 games after coming back.With BF3 I have had long periods off and came back and just picked up where I left off.

I don't think I saw an enemy tank the 10-15 minutes the round lasted,they were all just laying around with JAV's or stingers in bushes.Which is not clever when I repeatedly kill them with proximity scanner and thermal vision on my Abrams.
  • Madder-Max 26 Mar 2013 11:04:15 11,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone tried the Wake Island marathon? Saw a u toob video where 2 guys get buggies and race round the island trying to stay alive! Looks like fun

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Alastair 29 Mar 2013 16:55:22 15,799 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    More good rounds last night.

Nothing outstanding to report, but I am really enjoying it. :)
  • Madder-Max 29 Mar 2013 21:17:59 11,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got endgame yesterday and enjoying it. Air superiority is an easy way to get the jet unlocks. Just go for the bases and don't expect to get any kills! Came second in one match with 0 kills and 10 deaths! Just can't get on with the controls no matter what config.

Ctf is good fun. I get lots of kills waiting for enemy squads to rush the flagf and then mow them down. Mobile aa is good fun and its good having the manual fire option for ground supression.

• Madder-Max 29 Mar 2013 21:19:31 11,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted

• ecureuil 29 Mar 2013 21:22:25 76,829 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still annoyed about the ridiculous stinger buff. It completely removes the fun of being in a helicopter. It's even worse in that they did nothing to stop jets being totally dominant.
  • Madder-Max 29 Mar 2013 21:29:23 11,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only if u can fly them though! U need a team mate to spot incoming missiles if ur in a chopper to time the flares right

• Alastair 30 Mar 2013 13:06:27 15,799 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like the stinger buff - I am crap in choppers and like the easy kills.
    For the flares it's easy enough to hold the lock until the flares disperse.
  • ecureuil 30 Mar 2013 16:10:15 76,829 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You must surely see how unbalanced it is though? Not really fair that rubbish players can kill helicopters with zero skill, when a far more skilled helicopter pilot can do nothing about it. Better players should be rewarded not punished.
  • andytheadequate 30 Mar 2013 16:30:23 8,189 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We could remove stingers altogether and return to the circle strafing chopper pilots of bc2 who were impossible to shoot down. For the sake of balance, it is always best to err on the side of making the choppers underpowered rather than overpowered , otherwise it can completely destroy the game on certain maps.
  • motti82 30 Mar 2013 16:44:02 2,890 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would counter the stingers by allowing the choppers to have their second set of flares back. Even ECM jammers don't do much anymore.
  • andytheadequate 30 Mar 2013 16:47:45 8,189 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Another way to counter it is to have more AA guns that require the player the aim rather than lock on.
  • Madder-Max 30 Mar 2013 17:19:52 11,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A chopper pilot who knows what they r doing can stay airborne for ages. Flare timing and utilising the landscape are key to breaking line of sight for the lock on.

I like the stingers cos I can't fly choppers for shit. Tried the fire from sky co op as pilot and kwpt falling into the ground.

• ecureuil 30 Mar 2013 17:29:08 76,829 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The greatest pilot in the game can't stay airborne for ages if everyone is shooting stingers at him. It's not a matter of skill, it's literally impossible because you can only flare/ECM once every so often, and stingers can lock on immediately from a mile away. Their range is ridiculous. The only way to stay alive is to hide back from the main battlefield, which goes against everything the attack helicopters are supposed to be. Stingers worked perfectly as deterrents, they're not supposed to be one man javelins, but that's what they are.
  • Madder-Max 30 Mar 2013 17:34:12 11,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah but its satisfying as fuck to take out a chopper with more than one pilot though!

• Alastair 31 Mar 2013 17:55:53 15,799 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I suffered a lot in BC2 from circle strafe chopper pilots like Andy mentioned, so I don't feel much sympathy now. Plus, I don't think *all* the ground troops are aiming stingers up in the sky so the pilot has a chance to survive by dripping low behind a ridge - it's happened to me a few times.
    Plus, fuck it, I like getting the kills, so basically it doesn't bother me. :)
  • ecureuil 31 Mar 2013 18:02:50 76,829 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well it wouldn't bother you if you don't use helicopters would it? As someone who's actually pretty good in them, it's really shitty to see them become so useless. Play Oman or Wake Island and take the helicopter out as the US side, you'll have 4+ stingers flying at you the second you get near land. If you don't do an immediate 180 and fly back towards your boat you will die, no matter how great of a pilot you are.

It's also pretty crappy from an infantry point of view. I used to like teaming up with a friend, we'd use teamwork to deal with a tricky helicopter. Sometimes we'd have a soflam and javelin, sometimes we'd use a tank and the laser seat, sometimes we'd co-ordinate with stingers ourselves. Back then you'd need to time your shots and get the distance of attack right to stop it escaping before its defences recharged. Now it's just a race between every player on the team to see who can stinger it out the air the quickest. It's so dull. It's an attempt to get it closer to Call of Duty where skill doesn't matter as much. There is less reward for teamwork and actually being good at the game.

Edited by ecureuil at 18:05:49 31-03-2013
  • Jazzassin 1 Apr 2013 09:49:28 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    The greatest pilot in the game can't stay airborne for ages if everyone is shooting stingers at him. It's not a matter of skill, it's literally impossible because you can only flare/ECM once every so often, and stingers can lock on immediately from a mile away. Their range is ridiculous.
    And are you supposed to be able to stay airborne for ages if everyone is shooting Stingers at you?

Before the buffs the Stingers were completely useless and pointless. And it's a delicate balance that goes further than that anyway.... if you make the choppers too hard to kill, then tanks become death traps.

Edited by Jazzassin at 09:56:47 01-04-2013
  • Deleted user 1 April 2013 10:47:41
    Aftermath any good? Half price today.
  • captbirdseye 1 Apr 2013 11:05:23 4,997 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only worth it on the PC as the maps are designed for 64 players.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2013 11:16:07
    Same old then, will leave it as on 360. Bored of looking for someone to shoot on maps like Caspian border as everyone ls in the air.
  • TVoJ 1 Apr 2013 11:28:27 1,916 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's wrong Imo. Aftermath is only bettered by endgame. The maps are fine for 360, it's armoured fist you wanna stay away from.
  • ecureuil 1 Apr 2013 12:28:58 76,829 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jazzassin wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    The greatest pilot in the game can't stay airborne for ages if everyone is shooting stingers at him. It's not a matter of skill, it's literally impossible because you can only flare/ECM once every so often, and stingers can lock on immediately from a mile away. Their range is ridiculous.
    And are you supposed to be able to stay airborne for ages if everyone is shooting Stingers at you?

Before the buffs the Stingers were completely useless and pointless. And it's a delicate balance that goes further than that anyway.... if you make the choppers too hard to kill, then tanks become death traps.
    Maybe not everyone, my point was just that everyone carries them now because they're so powerful. In truth, just one guy can do the job because he can fire a second shot long before your countermeasures return so you have to retreat from the moment you get the first lock-on sound.

Stingers were never useless, they served as a deterrent. Once the chopper flares away your stinger missile, he's open to attack from your own helicopter, jets, and javelins. It will also cause him to retreat. They were useless in terms of getting kills but they were more about forcing a retreat than about easy kills. If you're capping a point and a helicopter comes over, use the stinger and you'll scare him off so you can capture without getting everyone annihilated.

I have no problem with them getting a buff FWIW, helicopters were overpowered at one point but they've gone too far the other way now, and I swear ECM just plain doesn't work on stinger missiles sometimes.

Edited by ecureuil at 12:29:24 01-04-2013
  • macmurphy 7 Apr 2013 12:15:55 999 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm back home, is there still a regular 360 night? I'm 'Carpark karaoke' if anyone wants to add me for games.

On the stingers, I like it. I'm ok in a chopper as well, but they are a nightmare when some chopper guru just circle strafes and destroys you. They are powerful now, you can do a bit of damage then you get out. As you say because you couldn't get kills before with stingers, no one really carried them. I think when they were testing the game they probably worked in teams and used javelins a lot, but people hardly ever use a soflam in a public game so javelins are useless, stingers are useless and choppers were just hammering people.

I much prefer it this way.
  • Alastair 8 Apr 2013 08:30:34 15,799 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played a quick round of CQ Conquest Domination last night and had a total blast. Managed to get put in with a decent squad of Frenchies who stuck together and bothered to revive fallen teammates. I just followed them round an basked in their glory. Well, not quite, but they definitely helped.

Also played some CTF with Simps on Friday night - it's much better playing *with* someone. And having someone who understands how the game mode works.

Also, I completed the Co-op missions. Need to go back and do a few of them properly in order to get the achievements though... Simps - did you check out Youtube yet for Drop 'Em Like Liquid?
  • Alastair 12 Apr 2013 11:00:52 15,799 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    More Close Quarters Conquest Domination last night. It's a good way to get quick kills with a particular gun to unlock shit and get the service star. Plus it's pushing up my Recon score.
    :)
  • ecureuil 12 Apr 2013 12:39:48 76,829 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was trying to find Condom games last night, hardly anybody plays it anymore. The only servers that had spaces (that weren't empty) were 500% Ziba, and I don't want to play a 700+ ticket game on Close Quarters. :(
  • Alastair 12 Apr 2013 12:45:41 15,799 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You're right, there aren't that many servers. I forgot to check how many tickets we were on, but it wasn't more than 300 per side. Pretty sure it was just 200 actually. The two rounds I played were 23 and 24 minutes.
  • AgentDaleCooper 8 May 2013 18:33:26 596 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Question for those with Premium and all the DLC - which of the map packs released have the best map layouts for Team Death and Squad Deathmatch? That is apart from Karkland and Close Quarters, which I already own.

I ask because the DLC goes on sale next week and I'm thinking off grabbing two sets.

Cheers!
  • ecureuil 8 May 2013 19:21:29 76,829 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hardly anyone seems to play the DLC maps in team deathmatch. On 360, at least. It sucks because those maps have some really great TDM arenas. All of the Armored Kill maps are so good for TDM, and from End Game, Nebandan Flats is especially good in TDM. I couldn't recommend any if those are the only gametypes you want to play, there's every chance you would constantly struggle to find ANY action on those gametypes, even if you filter for every region. Don't know what the situation's like on the other platforms though.
  • Page

of 514 First / Last