TERA Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• [maven] 14 Apr 2012 22:27:35 5,152 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm really enjoying the combat (but I'll be rolling on the NA servers, fuck Frogster), but how much I'll actually end up playing this is very much up in the air (cf. Diablo 3). Maybe for a month, like SW:TOR, maybe more. We'll see.
  • Raiten 16 Apr 2012 01:12:51 116 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Beta weekend behind and the initial impressions of the game are quite promising, obviously the combat system is where the game shines, easily one of the best combat systems in any mmorpg to date.
    Quest design is pretty run in the mill, same stuff you'd find in WoW/rift and the likes, nothing new there.

Interface is clean and works well, game also takes a effort to teach you just about everything right from the start by pointing you a huge flashing help screen button to click on, while some of the npc's also provide some guidance in certain features.

Regarding leveling and skills, while there's no real talent trees or stat point allocation, customisation comes from adding glyphs to skills to modify them (a bit similiar to d3 in that regard), from adding purchasable/looted gems to your weapon and armor slots with different effects that impact your char directly and lastly from creating your own chain attacks.

Grinding? no more than in the above mentioned games, do not that every mmorpg western or asian is pure grind fest from start to finish no matter how you try to put it, it's just a design no mmorpg with levels is unable to escape. If you want a no grinding for levels mmorpg, guildwars is the only series to go for in that case, allowing you to make a max level charachter instantly. But if killing monsters was the only thing you ever did, tera wouldn't be a bad choise at all.

Plenty of stuff i didn't realy have time to experiment with in depth, but overall Tera shows a lot of potential to be a huge success.

Overall, Tera has enough potential to become a huge success.
  • [maven] 2 May 2012 11:29:29 5,152 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been really enjoying this; got my priest up to level 43 on the US servers.

Quests are passable, but nothing to write home about. The story lines are ok, some of the instanced quests make for a nice change.
    Worst aspect IMO is some dodgy voice acting and missing lip-syncing in cut-scenes. Oh, and area chat! :D

The combat and the art are really great. The zones (and usually the monsters, with of course some re-use and recolouring) vary a great deal, even just in sub-zones, and the world is huge. And pretty!

I'm curious to see this will fare in the subscription MMO market-space. As it's run on a much smaller scale (from the infrastructure needed, not the amount and quality of content) they could well be able to run profitably with a smaller subscriber base.
  • uiruki 2 May 2012 12:13:26 3,675 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People are saying that this only becomes fun at 20 or 30. This seems mad! I'm still tempted to put the cash into the American version as I could do with something to play while watching videos etc. What server are you on? When does playing healer become fun? I played a mystic for a couple of hours in beta and couldn't stand how slow it all was.
  • [maven] 2 May 2012 13:02:04 5,152 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    Without oversimplifying, I can't see this doing well at all due to the timing of Guild Wars 2 and Mists of Pandaria coming out relatively soon.
    I feel as if both are fairly far out (if the state of the beta is an indication, I'd put GW2 into autumn, and Pandaria after that). But of course, they're the "big hitters" in the same space and compete for the same people (with GW2 of course having that enticing "no sub" model).

rodpad wrote:
    There's really no buzz about this game within the overall MMO fanbase.
    I agree. Not sure whether that's marketing (or lack of), over-saturation or something else (timing, D3 coming out, etc.)...

uiruki wrote:
    People are saying that this only becomes fun at 20 or 30. This seems mad! I'm still tempted to put the cash into the American version as I could do with something to play while watching videos etc. What server are you on? When does playing healer become fun? I played a mystic for a couple of hours in beta and couldn't stand how slow it all was.
    They added a prologue which gives you a level 20 character of your chosen class to try out the higher level abilities in a small zone. I see why they've done it, but it's also rather confusing being dumped there with many abilities you don't know and a BAM (Elite) fight.
    I'm on Valley of Titans, which oddly hasn't had queues since the launch proper (not that it affects me as I never play at US prime time).
    I tried Mystic during the beta and didn't get on with it either (and hated the pet sounds). Priest I'm enjoying quite a bit, but you need to get used to the fact that you're a magic-based melee-AoE class (pull many mobs!). The healing in groups has been quite fun, you have a "lock-on" on heal for 1-2 targets, as well as area-based heals (the more powerful one has a short range, so you're torn between getting close to the melee & tank clump and not getting swiped by that huge monster as a clothie). During this, you keep up your buffs, manage mana, CC or do some damage.
  • uiruki 2 May 2012 13:07:33 3,675 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fair enough. Healing with Mystic seemed to entail dropping balls on the ground, which while interesting wasn't exactly a rush! I'll see how I feel later. A class I can solo competently would he nice - do you have any issues with the long distance connection?
  • [maven] 2 May 2012 14:22:24 5,152 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most of the time (95%) it's felt absolutely fine, although the game doesn't show your latency anywhere I can see.
    The few times where things felt laggy, I'd attributed to general launch day server hick-ups.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 2 May 2012 14:50:47 25,510 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's an odd one, this.

Played a bit of the beta and it has the most enjoyable MMO combat I've played and some of the best looking scenery around, yet that's then combined with the nonciest paedogay character design ever.

Teddy Ruxpin and sexy kids? Really?
  • curtlikesmeat 5 May 2012 13:01:34 126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know, I haven't tried this but I find the thought of my character being a Beaver / Small fluffy thing with a sword three times its height, strangely appealing!
  • uiruki 6 May 2012 11:55:20 3,675 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ended up getting this, though I picked up the American version since that's the version all the English speaking forums I've seen are playing on. Played up to nearly level 20 as a Berserker, and having fun with the 360 pad controls.
  • M83J01P97 6 May 2012 12:24:53 6,570 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So is this actually any good? The Giantbomb quick look basically summed it up as being very 'meh' and just more of the same in a pretty world. As much as I'd like to get into a new MMO I'm not really wanting to play yet another WoW clone, which this seems to be?
  • Kostabi 6 May 2012 12:31:42 4,903 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm really suffering from new MMO shiny with this. I rarely play past the first free month of anything but always want to try them out.
  • uiruki 6 May 2012 12:59:39 3,675 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll probably play it for a month or so. It's a good time waster, and playing with a pad doesn't feel like you're gimping your abilities at all, either. The Berserker class has the whole "charge up enormous attack" thing that Monster Hunter does really well, too.
  • Raiten 6 May 2012 14:24:37 116 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    as opposed to western wow/rift etc grind fests? GW2 is equally grindy on pve side of things, no getting around that.
    GW2 and Tera tho have something that elevate them above the typical WoW "clones" and WoW it self, the combat systems are improved and in Teras case, almoste compleatly different from the said clones, which makes combat more enjoyable. But to put it short for you M83, yes it's a relativly good mmorpg, worth a try definetly.

Uiruki, you should try lancer, first time in a long time a class which makes tanking fun. You'd propably also get some of that monster hunter vibe from the class.
  • WinterSnowblind 6 May 2012 21:58:55 1,226 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GW2 differs from WoW in quite a few key areas and doesn't really have any grinding at all, the game takes a very seriously anti-grind approach (leveling is largely irrelevant, you scale for events, always progress at a set level, quests feel more alive, most are optional, even exploring nets you XP, etc).

The combat in TERA is unique, but not particularly fun and the tedium of the quests and the overall genericness of the world/story really hurt it.

If you're really itching for an MMO, it's worth a go but it feels a lot like Aion to me and I get the feeling most will have forgotten about it by next month. Or next week, when Diablo comes out.

Edited by WinterSnowblind at 22:01:57 06-05-2012
  • Raiten 6 May 2012 22:29:40 116 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Doesn't realy have any grind at all? heh, people sure are good at deluding them selfs to believe core mechanics are something which they are not, i've heard it all before even when WoW was new, people were like "ooh it's so not grindy game" when all anyone did was grind till their eyes poped out.
    I sure hope to god none here will even dare to say D3 isn't grindy.
    all diablos, including D3 is pure grind from start to finish, so if grinding is what you guys are so afraid, don't even think about playing D3 which is based entirely on the mechanics you seem to loathe.

Yes leveling in GW2 is irrelevant if pvp is all you're after, just like the first game you can skip the pve part of things.
    The basics still remain, to proggres, you need levels, to get levels you need to compleat quests and kill a shit ton of monsters.
    To get any basics done, be it crafting or anything, you're forced on the grind. You can try to make it "seem" less grindy, but even the best ways are unable to mask the basic premise of every single level based mmorpg.
    Heck, even mmorpgs without levels are stuck in that ever repeating cycle.

Now to the point, when did grinding actualy become something "bad" ? the only bad thing about grinding was, if it wasn't rewarding, or the mechanics made repative tasks like killing monsters booring.
    Aion, just like WoW, Rift and the likes fall faul on this part, while they work, none had realy engaging combat mechanics to make such tasks particularly fun or enjoyable, if you by any chance found your self in a situation with no quest you were in for a horrid slug fest.

Face it, grinding isn't bad, how it's done defines if it's bad or not.
    GW2 and Tera both have plenty of mechanics to make combat based grind a enjoyable task to be done and in both cases they work damn well. Heck even diablos are fun to play despite the massive grind fests they are, because the combat is smooth and fun and there's plenty of rewards to be had.
  • KaiotakiBun 8 May 2012 10:44:13 7 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A bit disappointed *sigh* :/
  • Fydria 8 May 2012 23:01:43 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've decided to give this a go.
  • Fydria 10 May 2012 07:47:21 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Only level 7 so far, so can't really give an accurate review. So far though I'm loving the combat system, so refreshing to play something that isn't generic in a new MMO. The game itself is absolutely beautiful, not that would ever be a defining factor in a game for me, but it's nice nevertheless.

Quests so far have been quite standard, but there is a main quest story line to follow. Although there was one to kill an evil tree who was molesting pigs (always fun that!).

Community seems quite helpful too, but I guess that's the norm for a new MMO. I've playing on Essenia EU (PVP) if anyone is just starting out, or thinking of it.
  • Fydria 10 May 2012 19:39:19 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Damn queues in TERA :( However it states if your waiting for 10 minutes or more 'you may receive a gift' - Interesting.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 10 May 2012 19:47:40 37,656 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Fydria 10 May 2012 21:27:38 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I feel like I've missed something. :p
  • Fydria 16 May 2012 16:50:19 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It was all going swimmingly until I left the first island. The general chat went from being acceptable in an MMO to absolute mind numbing. There's just far to many kids playing this. Like mentioned previously this game has alot of potential but after the promising events in the story-line quests in the starting area it quickly does everything possible to go off in an entirely different direction.

It's a shame really, because even if the normal quests arn't that strong if you have a good story line it would keep me interested. Ah well.
  • Fydria 16 May 2012 17:43:28 561 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rodpad, your contribution is wonderful as always.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last