TERA

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Machetazo 17 Jun 2011 10:39:36 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Where did this spring from?! :o GT's video, there linked, illustrates this game's political system and ways that players can progress, outside of the usual loot collection and quests. Players are able to, for instance, enable/disable PvP in zones that they control. I think that's astonishing, but also really smart. The game's control is far more immediate than some MMOs, as the FAQ (found on the official site)'s second question explains:
    TERA’s innovative action combat system allows players to step into a world where their actions, teamwork, and daring combat expertise - not statistics - give them a chance to become true heroes.

The real-time dynamic battle system gives players more control and constant involvement in the action! No more point-and-click or repetitive cycling through a palette of spells and skills. Rather than locking onto targets automatically, the position of your character and the timing of attacks, blocks, and dodges determine the outcome of each confrontation. As a result, combat is more intuitive, exciting, and realistic.
    continues..
    In TERA, players impact the world directly, dictating the flow of the economy and maneuvering through a dynamic political system. Players are free to choose their alliances and enemies, rather than being locked into a specific faction based on their character’s race. Teamwork matters more than race or class, as players face off against an array of terrifying foes that threaten their world.
    The also mention there, that both gamepad control and that of traditional keyboard and mouse will be supported from the outset. I like the look of this game a lot. Hopefully, it'll be as good once it's released in the west, later this year. :)

Tentonhammer got a hands-on at E3, where they were able to take a melee class for a spin. Weaponry with heft - how can this be! :D
  • curtlikesmeat 17 Jun 2011 20:17:39 126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's an interesting video. Not that keen on the Final Fantasy style graphics, but I like that they're attempting new stuff. I would have liked TOR to attempt stuff like this, but oh well!
  • [maven] 11 Feb 2012 22:08:13 5,152 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been playing the beta this weekend, and I'm really enjoying the combat (tried Archer to level 9, and Berserker to 15). General chat is the bottom of the barrel, endless arguments about WoW, TOR, and pedophiles. I just think the Elin are cute (but yes, also creepy in an environment where everything else is hyper-sexualised). The 3rd person mouse-aiming works really well with the skills the classes have; almost all melee classes have semi-AoE attacks, whereas ranged class seem to have lock-on moves for AoE.
    The graphics are really impressive (runs about twice as well as SW:TOR and looks miles better), especially after you reach the proper capital (via the hyperspace Pegasus route :D), which looks and feels like a proper capital city (think Assassin's Creed).
    The UI is really well done, everything is movable and works well out of the box (although it can feel rather busy with the amount of notifications / hints / achievements / help that pops up).

The quest are run-of-the-mill (kill, gather (auto-pickup for quest-items), use) and the world lore seems generic fantasy, with an occasional short, badly lip-synced cut-scene for some main-storylines. Nevertheless, the combat kept me entertained so far.
  • Dr_Mech 13 Feb 2012 12:25:12 1,021 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok watching the Popori character creator videos on youtube officially made me lose my 'man card'.

The sad looking kitten head option made me go, "that's adorable!" out loud.

Currently watching a livestream on Steparu.com of a group taking on a Dragon, looks pretty epic, now just got to wait another couple of weeks until release, since I'm the 'MMO Guy' among my friends it's required to try out most new MMOs that have peaked their interest and Tera online is one of them.
  • urban 6 Apr 2012 16:20:01 10,942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why is nobody talking about this!? 5th and final closed beta test this weekend and I got a code from my super awesome friend in San Francisco.

33GB download YOUCH
  • Fydria 8 Apr 2012 12:11:47 561 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Will have to keep my eye on this one. It is great to see companies finally trying new things in MMO's. Long time coming!
  • uiruki 12 Apr 2012 09:00:18 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The combat seems OK, it starts off very slowly though. Even in a pair, playing as a healer was amazingly boring. The community is a couple of steps worse than horrible, too.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 12 Apr 2012 10:28:43 4,624 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hey chaps we have some beta keys for this weekend's closed beta right here.

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 12 Apr 2012 10:50:02 4,624 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ;)

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 12 Apr 2012 11:02:27 4,624 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm, I tried one earlier and it worked. Anyone else having any issues?

• Whizzo 12 Apr 2012 11:21:34 43,094 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My code worked fine.

Bring forth the action based combat!

And the boobies.

This space left intentionally blank.

• shamblemonkee 12 Apr 2012 11:22:38 14,327 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mine worked fine
  • Spekingur 12 Apr 2012 11:31:10 483 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you have an En Masse account then that account does not work on the tera-europe.com website. And most likely the key does not work on the En Masse account webpage either.
  • Tripnologist 12 Apr 2012 11:37:51 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My code didn't work either, which is a shame.

Edit:
    As Spekingur has said, if your code isn't working, it's because you're trying to enter it on the US website. It will only work on the EU website.

Edited by Tripnologist at 11:44:18 12-04-2012
  • El_MUERkO 12 Apr 2012 12:35:26 16,979 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Create an enmasse account > Click on 'Enter Code' > Enter 'TERABETA'

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

Edited by El_MUERkO at 12:36:09 12-04-2012
  • SClaw 12 Apr 2012 12:49:28 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mine worked fine. Thanks EG.

Ok... so... why did I never hear of TERA before?

It's slightly action, anime style graphics, it's not shitty Aion, dubiously aged cat/etc girls... that's like my dream MMO! I'm so out of touch!
  • [maven] 12 Apr 2012 13:01:55 5,152 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    Create an enmasse account > Click on 'Enter Code' > Enter 'TERABETA'

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!
    That's good for you if you want to roll on the US servers (which don't have any testing / beta-ing going on this weekend). :)
  • Fydria 12 Apr 2012 16:40:00 561 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Fydria 12 Apr 2012 16:40:06 561 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Venatio wrote:
    Hey chaps we have some beta keys for this weekend's closed beta right here.
    Thank you so much :)!

- Edit: Double Post :|

Edited by Fydria at 16:40:42 12-04-2012
  • SClaw 13 Apr 2012 21:44:17 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Boy oh boy oh boy.

A real shame. The combat system - basic action lite - is actually pretty damn good even if a little repetitive. I wish they'd take it... and put it in something which isn't an insane pile of Korean shit.

The colours... the vast menus... the sooooo many systems nothing explains... the stats that seem to mean nothing... the crazy ass directionless tutorial zone...

There is a good game hiding behind a lot of shit, there really really is. But the hell if I'm paying money out to fight past their nonsense to get at it. This game as been westernised in only the most basic sense and the rest of it is pure, pure Asian grindfest. It's a step up from Aion and I think it'll win a small but loyal fanbase of crazy people, so I wish them luck but I'm waaaay out.

Never mind. Was worth a try at the very least.
  • Fydria 13 Apr 2012 23:10:01 561 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Not worth downloading the 30GB or so for Beta then..
  • Balboa 14 Apr 2012 17:56:44 442 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I liked the combat and environment art. Stripper armour is meh. The biggest problem for me was the quest design brings out the arseholes. I had the most fun when nobody else was around.

I hope GW2 doesn't have the same problem. The first had a lot of kill/collect X quests.
  • WinterSnowblind 14 Apr 2012 18:58:44 1,228 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SClaw Pretty much exactly what I was about to type up. Also, is it just me, or does every single MMORPG start the same way? Right off the bat it felt exactly the same as every other MMO out there, nothing appealing about it what so ever.

My biggest gripe is the complete lack of consistency to the art direction. The graphics themselves are pretty good, the humans, elves and big golem people all look pretty realistic.. then you have the raccoon people and anime girl races. You can really tell what aspects of the game they where cherry picking to suit specific audiences and it feels like a complete mess.
  • Whizzo 14 Apr 2012 20:20:33 43,094 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd like to give it a go but it just kept giving me an error every time I tried to launch it, the repair install didn't do anything much either.

Not sure I can be bothered to download all that again.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous