EA's Origin Store

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Zaiz 16 Jun 2011 22:37:11 370 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    http://store.origin.com/

Generic discussion is a go. Anyone tried it?

(in case you were wondering why the conversation below happened, I clicked the link to original domain owner and thought it was EA making a bad link to their international store)
  • Whizzo 16 Jun 2011 22:40:41 43,094 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The link to Origin International is presumably because they used to own origin.com but EA bought the domain from them.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Khanivor 16 Jun 2011 22:43:32 40,554 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So is Origin just the rebranding of the shitty online store EA have had for a few years?
  • Deleted user 16 June 2011 22:44:02
    Yyyyyeah, there's no stupidity there, just a redirect to the people they bought the domain off.
  • Whizzo 16 Jun 2011 22:45:56 43,094 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Wayback Machine confirms it.

Considering EA's history them not already having that domain makes me a little sad.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Zaiz 16 Jun 2011 23:06:16 370 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I incorrectly assumed they meant that was the link to Origin's international store and they used autocomplete or something. Go ambiguous grammar! Much less fun.

It also looks like Direct to Drive, but I don't want to download the client because it is probably PC poison.
  • kingcrowbar 17 Jun 2011 07:21:56 916 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is just a re-branded EA store/EADM (EA Download Manager) though, why the fuss? Did none of you use them before? The layout is exactly the same, just the logo has changed as far as I can tell.
  • magicpanda 17 Jun 2011 09:19:44 13,346 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The prices are shite. I refuse to pay more than 30 for a PC game. 35 at a push if it's AAA.
  • Tremendosaurus 17 Jun 2011 10:03:44 1,197 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Magic Panda wrote:
    The prices are shite. I refuse to pay more than 30 for a PC game. 35 at a push if it's AAA.

Agreed. No daily deals? No launch celebrating specials? No fucking thanks.
  • kingcrowbar 17 Jun 2011 10:29:21 916 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair most steam prices are hardly bargains. Recent stuff like Duke Nukem Forver and The Witcher 2 are 50 Euro unless there is a sale on. EA have had sales often enough too on their store.
  • rtk79 17 Jun 2011 11:46:14 493 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tremendosaurus wrote:
    Magic Panda wrote:

Agreed. No daily deals? No launch celebrating specials? No fucking thanks.

In my own experience (and, perhaps importantly, in my currency), prices on the EA Store are usually a little cheaper than Steam. And they do have sales and deals. I preordered Battlefield 3 from them with a 50% discount around Easter (they were celebrating some game-convention or other).
    And the Steam daily deals (which have been fairly dreadful) are recent enough that it shouldn't really count in the discussion. Who knows what EA have planned ? Isn't Origin still in Beta ?
  • PenguinJim 17 Jun 2011 15:31:12 5,836 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ME3 preorder is 21.10 on Origin in my country. :D I'm almost tempted, that's cheaper than ME2 on Origin!
  • Deleted user 17 June 2011 15:39:27
    Not great - preordered the new Alice game for PC;

*No preloading allowed, it has taken 6 hours on an 8mb connection to download 9gb.
    *Promised preorder DLC codes not sent, been on online support for over an hour now whilst they jump through hoops about it
    *The online manual is just generic crappy one all EA games have
  • Dirtbox 7 Jul 2011 18:40:10 77,756 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://i.imgur.com/ifEUP.jpg

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• oceanmotion 7 Jul 2011 20:54:42 15,840 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    EA Summer Showcase Now Live

Might get some new game announcements. Crysis on consoles, Respawn Studios, BF3 etc.
  • magicpanda 16 Jul 2011 19:39:10 13,346 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/#section5

We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use. Once you have redeemed your Entitlements, that content is not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable for other Entitlements or for cash, or other goods or services.
  • Derblington 16 Jul 2011 19:41:10 21,503 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you've not played any of those titles or used your account for 2 years, would you really care if that happened?
  • oceanmotion 16 Jul 2011 19:48:12 15,840 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    While it does say that in the ToS, many people have said it's never happened to any EA games they have owned through the download store. I guess a similar ToS existed before the rebrand. Any downloadable game is a gamble in my books anyway.
  • WrongShui 16 Jul 2011 19:49:00 6,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes?

I ain't touched BF2142 in years but I'd like to think I could if I wanted.
  • Derblington 16 Jul 2011 19:50:26 21,503 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And you've not used your EA account either?
  • WrongShui 16 Jul 2011 19:55:50 6,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only for Bad Company 2, which I could of got on a console.
  • Derblington 16 Jul 2011 20:05:49 21,503 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Doesn't matter, you only need to make a post on a forum and it shows the EA account is active.

The same terms have been included in EA Downloader, EA Link, EA Download Manager and now Origin - they're just re-brands of the same thing, essentially, as it's been upgraded. In the 6 years (?) it's been running, it's never actually happened. People are just making a fuss about it now because it's something to do.
  • magicpanda 24 Aug 2011 09:25:28 13,346 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is interesting.

EA's Origin is creepy and watches you sleep!
  • FooAtari 24 Aug 2011 13:29:35 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ^^

Was just about to post that. Have little interest in using Origin as it is, and that just reinforces things. Although to be fair, I'm not sure what data Steam collects... I should really find out.

Edit

Valve's policy is similar and comparable to most online services I suppose. However, it seems to me that Valve employ a little more control over what data they collect and how it's used or who has access to it. And there are also at least some options to opt-out of some aspects of it.

They are little more explicit in what they do with it, where as EA seem to be saying, we collect whatever the hell we want and do what we like with it, other than allow third parties to personally identify you with it. Unless I missed things Valve seem to only collect data relevant to Steam and the games on it, EA collect as much info about the configuration of your PC as possible.
  • Clive_Dunn 24 Aug 2011 13:35:10 4,778 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Origin does appear to use a lot of system resources, it was regularly causing my CPU usage to jump to 50% or so across 4 cores every 5 seconds.
  • bad09 24 Aug 2011 14:32:17 5,783 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    This is interesting.

EA's Origin is creepy and watches you sleep!

I seriously doubt that means they scan your entire PC snooping around at what you have installed or what your are doing, that is a huge invasion of privacy that would get them into all kinds of trouble. It probably just references the software you install from them and peripheral hardware and software usage is just the same as Steams hardware survey and clocking your playtime it's no big deal they know I have a 360 and PS2 controller and play games far too much.

I doubt big brother has come knocking just yet, no matter how big they are they are just a bloody games publisher after all.
  • Futaba 24 Aug 2011 15:22:05 3,507 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isn't Origin mandatory for BF3 PC users? :\

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• LFMartins 24 Aug 2011 15:31:58 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think BF3 will force you to run it to Origin, EA already said that even retail copies will have to use Origin.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous