Playtrade (Play.coms second hand thing)

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Shikasama 16 Jun 2011 15:26:28 6,952 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Howdy

Maybe against my better judgement but I thought I'd share my experience using the Play.com second hand service as a seller.

It's bloody brilliant.

I've managed to shift games I would never be able to move in the swapsies thread here or would be worth nothing trading them into Game or the like and made a very healthy amount of cash doing. Easy to set up and you get into it straight away. Links to orders and stuff that you need to process aren't particularly obvious but you get a good set of tools, including being able to issue your own refunds.

Items stay listed (for free) for 60 days. Play.com charge 10% +50p on your transactions (so if you are selling a console I wouldn't bother) and the cash goes into a Play.com balance. You can have the money transferred to a bank account for a further 5% fee.

To give you an idea of what sort of prices I was getting I'll list what I have sold so far and for how much:

All 360
    Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires: 11
    UFC 2010: 7.50
    Spiderman Shattered Dimension: 15
    AssBro: 14
    Red Dead: 14
    Dead Space: 9.99
    Samurai Warriors 2: 10 (this actually cost me 2.99 from GAME)
    Halo Reach: 14.50

Not a bad little haul. It cost me 1.50 for three bubble envolpes and 1.09 each to post. I think UFC 2010 is just about the only one where I would have got the same in store for my costs.

So I'd recommend it. People can be divvies and rarely leave you feedback, but especially if you are willing to let your funds sit in Play.coms balance, you can do pretty well out of it
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Jun 2011 15:37:43 14,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have used it for several years, both selling and buying and it is great, however always send your items Rec mail. I sent 2 games out recently that didn't arrive, so I had to reimburse the buyer, luckily I send everything Rec mail (1:90 pre game) and got the money back from the PO, it did take a few weeks mind you. I have also been "stung" once where the cunt never sent the game (dead space 2) I had to get Play involved and it is at there discretion if the give you your money back.

The best place for older (albeit newer-older!) game is our very own swapsies thread.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• MrTomFTW Moderator 16 Jun 2011 15:46:57 38,612 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been using Playtrade for a couple of years and mostly send stuff out 2nd class. Its a cracking little service. Better than trading in at a shop or selling on eBay that's for sure.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Shikasama 16 Jun 2011 15:53:04 6,952 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I will say I had a great experience with one particular guy. I bought the RUSE PC version off him for 6.50 but when it arrived (pretty quickly) it had already been activated on Steam, making it useless.

I emailed the guy saying I doubt it was delibrate and probably just a misunderstanding. He emailed me within a couple of hours, told me to keep the disc in case I ever get a key from somewhere and refunded me a flat tenner, which I put towards getting the 360 version for 15 quid from ASDA.

A lot better than my experience on Ebay I can tell you.
  • Oh-Bollox 16 Jun 2011 16:02:11 5,323 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been using it instead of ebay, brilliant service. Made a fair bit of money, all you have to do is actually give an honest item description and the stuff flies off the virtual shelf.
  • Flying_Pig 16 Jun 2011 16:14:06 11,142 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great service - used it to see quite a lot of stuff.

Have only purchased from a PlayTrade seller once, and it was a bit disappointing: Condition was described as Very Good, but when it arrived the case was extremely scruffy and the UMD (it was a PSP game, see) was actually broken.

Aside from that, I think it's great!
  • Deleted user 16 June 2011 16:25:00
    Great service, been using it for years. I can usually sell for more than others as well as I promise to send the next/same day by first class.
  • Gambit1977 16 Jun 2011 16:27:28 10,148 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is this the most friendly advertising email e ever?? ;)
  • Shikasama 16 Jun 2011 16:54:44 6,952 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What I did notice is that you don't necessarily have to be the cheapest. I don't really go in for all of that 10.99/10.98/10.97 stuff, I decide how much it makes sense for me to sell it at andput it up for that price. It might take a couple of days but the listing tends to sell.

Obviously as long as you aren't a mong about it. I'm talking about a quid or two's difference.

Out of interest, do you keep your playfunds or withdraw them?
  • Flying_Pig 16 Jun 2011 17:59:02 11,142 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cloke_silos wrote:
    Like I told you in the email, the game worked, so stop fucking complaining! Besides it was in perfect condition when I posted it...
    Directed at me?

Anyway - I never get chance to withdraw my funds - I spend 'em almost as soon as I get 'em :)
  • Deleted user 16 June 2011 18:30:34
    Been using Playtrade for the last 4 years and I've done a fucking *shocking* amount of sales on there :-/ Current statement shows 4,470 traded O_O
  • Shikasama 16 Jun 2011 23:35:58 6,952 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhythm that is insane. Is that through game sales only or do you sell consoles aswell?
  • Flying_Pig 17 Jun 2011 09:36:28 11,142 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cloke_silos wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    cloke_silos wrote:
    Like I told you in the email, the game worked, so stop fucking complaining! Besides it was in perfect condition when I posted it...
    Directed at me?
    Yes lol
    :(

;)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 17 Jun 2011 10:40:41 38,612 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That 60 day listing thing doesn't seem to be a strict rule. I have stuff listed from mid-2010 on there still.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 17 June 2011 10:42:13
    60 day listing? I've had stuff sitting there for over a year.
  • Shikasama 17 Jun 2011 11:04:31 6,952 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe I'm making that up. i'd swear blind I saw it on the site somwhere. Fair enough though.

Aha! I knew I'd seen it!

"Listings which do not sell will expire automatically after 60 days without any fee charged. You may freely re-list the items. ProTrader listings do not have an expiry date."

Weird that yours have stayed there.
  • Oh-Bollox 17 Jun 2011 22:42:40 5,323 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some of mine have been up longer than that.
  • famous_roy 17 Jun 2011 22:51:34 4,102 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Absolutely awesome service. Sold a ton of second hand games on the last couple months making over 200.

Used to funds to get a 3DS plus Ocarina, not bad I reckon! Not a spot of bother so far, more than I can say for eBay, Game etc

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Deleted user 18 June 2011 00:24:00
    Shikasama wrote:
    Rhythm that is insane. Is that through game sales only or do you sell consoles aswell?

Have sold a few consoles but not many. 1 DS Lite, 1 360, 1 PS3. That only accounts for 500ish of sales - the rest is games :-/
  • oceanmotion 17 Jul 2011 17:43:10 16,001 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Am I missing something or is 10% + 50p not kinda similar to what ebay charges when you take into account, the final value fee and paypal's cut plus paypal doesn't take a further 5% transferring to you bank account?

I thinking of using this but doesn't seem that different.
  • Deleted user 18 July 2011 22:54:51
    Ebay is 10% of the final fee, then Paypal is something like 3%+20p per item, of course on playtrade I believe that you also have to cover the postage costs as well, so I'm not massively convinced its any better than ebay. On paper its actually more expensive and with ebay you have that wildcard where someone pays a silly amount, and you can get feedback easier.

Playfunds are all very good in theory, but at the moment, Amazon and Zavvi are generally cheaper, or Shopto, and Zavvi is massively cheaper if you use quidco and plan your purchases in groups to match whatever money off spending certain amounts they have.

Just preordered 5 items on Zavvi using a 5 off 50+ spend, and the cheapest I could have gotten the items if bought elsewhere was 68.97, using that coupon I've got them for 60.94 and on top of that I'll get another 1.50 or so cashback. If I had bought from play they would have cost me 71.81 with a possible cashback of 1.43.
  • Deleted user 16 August 2011 07:42:48
    Urgh! Bring back Play247!
  • Deleted user 19 September 2011 09:50:40
    Just checked my account and it's looking like I'll hit the 5k mark by the end of the year :-/
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous