Free-App Hero/CE 2.0 released for iOS

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Rev.StuartCampbell 15 Jun 2011 12:48:00 367 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://wosblog.podgamer.com/2011/06/15/first-there-was-fah-now-there-is-a-2-0-of-it/

Released to commemorate featuring over 750 quality free games, Free-App Hero 2.0 is a major update that implements multitasking and list caching for much greater speed and ease of use, as well as many other improvements. The Core Edition is now a permanently free app with all the content of the normal version, supported by ads which can be disabled (at no cost) for a week at a time with a single click, meaning you can get hundreds and hundreds of genuinely good games, untainted by crappy Lite versions or freemium shit, without ever having to lay out a penny.

There will now be a short pause followed by an outpouring of uninteresting hate.
  • Jeepers 15 Jun 2011 12:49:19 13,181 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wasn't this guy a journalist once?
  • nickthegun 15 Jun 2011 12:51:18 60,148 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I use the free version. Iz good.

Will upgrade.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• AcidSnake 15 Jun 2011 12:56:38 7,282 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    (pause)

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• StolenGlory 15 Jun 2011 13:00:18 318 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Rev is someone who I find to be an abrasive cunt whenever someone says something he disagrees with.

With that said though, the app seems like a worthy purchase so i'll grab it methinks.

Not because I like you or anything you understand.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Jun 2011 13:01:57 38,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I used Free App Hero for a little while, but even with the reviews to pick out the best games I still find the vast majority to be complete dross. There are some quality games out there, but it tends to be the paid for apps that are worthwhile.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• kalel 15 Jun 2011 13:05:25 87,931 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it different to this?
  • Deleted user 15 June 2011 13:08:29
    Spam, he should be banned.
  • Widge Moderator 15 Jun 2011 13:09:15 13,676 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah there is still a massive amount of turd, but then gems like World Series Of Poker turn up.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Jazzy_Geoff 15 Jun 2011 13:09:51 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heard you on the radio Stuart :)
  • Clive_Dunn 15 Jun 2011 13:32:39 4,780 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does he get paid per response on this thread ?
  • Ziz0u 15 Jun 2011 13:38:08 8,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Would get an iPad version for free iPad apps.

• speedofthepuma 15 Jun 2011 13:49:50 13,293 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got a lot of use out of this app, I have found very few games that actually stick around for a while, but for what it does, the app is great.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Rev.StuartCampbell 15 Jun 2011 13:54:45 367 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:

There is an iPad section now, though it's still a bit preliminary. Better iPad support (both in terms of FAH itself and covering iPad apps) is top of the list for v2.1.
  • Rev.StuartCampbell 15 Jun 2011 13:55:34 367 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mad-hacker wrote:
    Jeepers wrote:
    Wasn't this guy a journalist once?
    Only in the same way that bleach can wash your hands.

Thanks! Bleach gets your hands, really, really clean.
  • Ziz0u 15 Jun 2011 14:44:09 8,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
    ZizouFC wrote:

There is an iPad section now, though it's still a bit preliminary. Better iPad support (both in terms of FAH itself and covering iPad apps) is top of the list for v2.1.

Cheers :)
  • lucky_jim 15 Jun 2011 15:02:08 5,308 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know everyone usually queues up to slate Stuart whenever he posts here, but try using his app for a few days before doing so. It's very good. I've tried other ways of keeping on top of stuff that's temporarily free, but (afaik) everything else is just some kind of automatically aggregated list, it's extremely useful having all the crap filtered out. I've probably saved the cost of the app dozens of times over by now. I've since recommended the app to my brother and a couple of mates, all of whom were sceptical at first but have since thanked me for doing so.

It'd be nice if it showed us discounted non-freebies though, but I imagine that'd be a pretty massive undertaking.
  • Rev.StuartCampbell 15 Jun 2011 15:35:52 367 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd love to do 59p Hero too, but it'd be way too much for one person to handle every day. You should see the whining I get now if I take a Sunday off occasionally, still posting freebie recommendations but without the reviews. I do post price-drop tips on both WoSblog and SavyGamer, though.

And yeah, FAH is the only human-filtered freebie tracker. All the others are just auto-scrapers, the most any of them do is strip out some stuff according to ratings. (Which means missing out on tons of great games, because they're not well-known enough to have ratings.)
  • StolenGlory 15 Jun 2011 15:41:42 318 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rev

A quick question to tap on your knowledge of iOS/mobile gaming; is there a free app/game which is similar in anyway to 'Lords of Chaos' or 'Chaos' from the ZX Spectrum days?
  • lucky_jim 15 Jun 2011 15:59:04 5,308 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd also like to know the answer to StolenGlory's question, if anybody knows. I think it's "no" though (although the Spectrum emulator has a Julian Gollop Collection as an in-app purchase which you might want to check out StolenGlory).

I can't understand why nobody's made an iPhone version of Chaos with asynchronous multiplayer. It'd probably be the single greatest thing that's ever been achieved in the history of humanity.
  • StolenGlory 15 Jun 2011 16:02:09 318 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @lucky_jim

Completely agree on the need for an iPhone version of Chaos with all those features you mentioned and thanks for the rec on the JG collection; i'll have a snoop now.

And... Kadoosh:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/chaos-zx-spectrum/id428750231?mt=8

• lucky_jim 15 Jun 2011 16:10:08 5,308 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In terms of vfm, you're definitely better off getting the emulator and then the JG collection. Also, you get Laser Squad with it, which apart from the obvious presentational stuff, really hasn't aged a day.
  • Rev.StuartCampbell 15 Jun 2011 16:11:10 367 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been pestering Julian Gollop for ages with respect to doing something like Rebelstar/X-Com/Chaos on iOS, but he doesn't appear to be interested. The thing I'd absolutely love to see, and which would be such a totally perfect fit for the format it's just ridiculous, is a revival of the stupendously brilliant Email X-Com.

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/excom.htm

Why nobody's done it yet is an utter mystery to me - the closest thing is Mecho Wars - and sadly none of the iOS coders I know have the time at the moment.
  • StolenGlory 15 Jun 2011 16:14:42 318 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rev

Why can't he just farm out the coding duties to some other folk and rake in the easy royalties?

Ergh, dammit Julian!
  • Rev.StuartCampbell 15 Jun 2011 16:20:54 367 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Beats the heck out of me. I don't know who owns Email X-Com now, but to do something similar would presumably be straightforward enough.
  • redcrayon 16 Jun 2011 00:52:06 4,558 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't get the level of abuse on EG sometimes.

Rev. Stu's free App thingy seems like it might be of interest to EGers, why spam up the thread with hate about it because you've disagreed with the guy in the past? Play the ball, not the man etc.

• Rufus 16 Jun 2011 01:30:06 1,754 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    I don't get the level of abuse on EG sometimes.

Rev. Stu's free App thingy seems like it might be of interest to EGers, why spam up the thread with hate about it because you've disagreed with the guy in the past? Play the ball, not the man etc.

Mmmmmm, yeah ok, this.

Rev gave me some real unnecessary shit a while ago for asking a very genuine, straightforward question but to be honest, the amount of hatred he gets on here I wouldn't be surprised if he confused me with one of the 'haters' and misconstrued my question as some trolling / flame-baiting.

Whilst I don't own an iPod/iPad etc, it looks to be a genuinely decent app that can get you some great games. Maintaining projects like this must take quite a lot of work too. I'd be a hypocrite if I said it was spam as I've got my own thread that promotes my youtube channel.

Fair play Stu, I hope the app is going well man.

• el_pollo_diablo 16 Jun 2011 01:55:35 2,088 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rev,

It's my most used app. Thankyou.

But the latest version crashes out on my touch 3rd gen. I'm not on the latest iOS but can check of need be. But please can you fix it?
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous