iOS 5 & OS X Lion

  • Page

    of 50 First / Last

    Previous
  • KayJay 14 Jun 2011 18:06:26 5,287 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, these are looking good.
    In particular iOS 5.
    I've never really had a problem with the iOS interface but I can see how some might think it's a little bland.

    This update however looks to have ticked quite a few boxes.
    Looks like they have pinched a few Android ideas, but given them a little sprinkle of Apple. I particularly like the iCloud, Notifications & Wireless Sync additions.

    Lion looks ace too and at £20 it's a no brainer. Launchpad, Airdrop and Mission Control are my favourite highlights.

    iOS 5

    OS X Lion

  • Phily50 14 Jun 2011 18:14:44 2,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's been a few UK articles mentioning that the UK may have to wait a while longer than other teritories for the iCloud and wireless sync features.
  • Lexx87 14 Jun 2011 18:21:05 20,869 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    iOS 5 is top stuff some good features there.

    No need for iTunes for one!

    Speak the truth hussy!

  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 14 Jun 2011 18:41:11 14,033 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not going to create an account just for Lion. Don't have a credit card and it offers nothing I need. So I won't get it until I buy a new Mac.
  • Jeepers 14 Jun 2011 18:43:25 13,173 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Reader for iPad / iPhone is long overdue and welcome. As are location-based reminders, which are likely to save me from many a nagging.
  • KayJay 14 Jun 2011 18:44:08 5,287 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Phily50 wrote:
    There's been a few UK articles mentioning that the UK may have to wait a while longer than other teritories for the iCloud and wireless sync features.

    Yeah, I think the US are running a beta type period for iCloud. Should be great when it does arrive (hopefully this side of Christmas).
  • HoriZon 14 Jun 2011 18:46:00 13,498 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We have iCloud now for Apps and Books.

    Music if/when the record company's sort it all out with Apple as the music their side is only for them.

    Wireless sync they have nicked from an App developer who got their App rejected last year:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/apple-borrows-ios-5s-wi-fi-sync-from-rejected-app-submission/
    Almost the same icon too, Apple has no ideas left.

    I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

  • HitchHiker 14 Jun 2011 18:49:36 2,762 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, we won't get the iTunes Match service for some time :(
  • KayJay 14 Jun 2011 18:49:41 5,287 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrok wrote:
    Not going to create an account just for Lion. Don't have a credit card and it offers nothing I need. So I won't get it until I buy a new Mac.

    It will be interesting to see how the "Download Only" from the Mac App store works.
    When I upgraded to Snow Leopard I was able to upgrade both my mac's from the one disk.

    Will I be able to do the same with Lion? Both Mac's are registered with the same Apple/iTunes account so will I be able to do a PSN style 5 machine activation thing?
  • Phily50 14 Jun 2011 18:50:58 2,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When's Lion out anyway? I was thinking of buying an 21.5" iMac soon.
  • KayJay 14 Jun 2011 18:52:27 5,287 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It says "Coming this Fall"..?

    So autumn? August? :/
  • bodhi85uk 14 Jun 2011 18:53:27 179 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    July. I think i read somewhere (probably Macrumors.com) that if you buy a Mac now you qualify for a free upgrade to Lion when its released. Check the Apple website/store though before you buy in case im making this up
  • mrpon 14 Jun 2011 18:54:29 28,493 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The default for iCloud seems to be on. An app suddenly appeared on my Touch after a purchase on the iPad.

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • HoriZon 14 Jun 2011 18:56:57 13,498 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    The default for iCloud seems to be on. An app suddenly appeared on my Touch after a purchase on the iPad.

    Yeah its been on since the keynote.

    You can go to 'Settings/Store' to turn it off or on. iTunes has options for it as well.

    I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

  • mrpon 14 Jun 2011 18:59:12 28,493 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haven't looked yet, anything configurable? Or is it simply on/off?

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 14 Jun 2011 19:00:41 14,033 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bodhi85uk wrote:
    July. I think i read somewhere (probably Macrumors.com) that if you buy a Mac now you qualify for a free upgrade to Lion when its released. Check the Apple website/store though before you buy in case im making this up
    July it is.

    I guess one of the reasons why they go the online route with Lion is to prevent people (like me for example) from just using a friends disc to install the new version.
  • HoriZon 14 Jun 2011 19:01:15 13,498 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Haven't looked yet, anything configurable? Or is it simply on/off?

    Just that :)

    I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

  • Phily50 14 Jun 2011 19:41:30 2,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bodhi85uk wrote:
    July. I think i read somewhere (probably Macrumors.com) that if you buy a Mac now you qualify for a free upgrade to Lion when its released. Check the Apple website/store though before you buy in case im making this up

    Yep....just had an online chat with apple and got this response:

    The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorised Reseller on or after 6 June 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between 6 June 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request.
  • PhoenixFlames 14 Jun 2011 19:51:02 8,899 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't have Snow Leopard - am I gonna need to shell out for that first? Hope not.

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • Kostabi 14 Jun 2011 19:54:34 4,878 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glad they've poached the slide down notification bar from Android, it was one of the things I missed the most when I switched over.
  • Phily50 14 Jun 2011 20:08:19 2,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Once (if!) I get my new iMac, I can send you my copy that I bought if you want?

    *Edit* @PhoenixFlames
  • Deleted user 14 June 2011 20:11:14
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    I don't have Snow Leopard - am I gonna need to shell out for that first? Hope not.
    Type this into google

    "Snow Leopard Torrent"

    Job done.
  • PhoenixFlames 14 Jun 2011 20:14:55 8,899 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Phily50 wrote:
    Once (if!) I get my new iMac, I can send you my copy that I bought if you want?

    *Edit* @PhoenixFlames

    That sir, would be grand :-)

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • Phily50 14 Jun 2011 20:15:46 2,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Phily50 wrote:
    Once (if!) I get my new iMac, I can send you my copy that I bought if you want?

    *Edit* @PhoenixFlames

    That sir, would be grand :-)

    No worries pal. I'll let you know in the next couple of weeks...
  • PhoenixFlames 14 Jun 2011 20:17:49 8,899 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Phily50 wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Phily50 wrote:
    Once (if!) I get my new iMac, I can send you my copy that I bought if you want?

    *Edit* @PhoenixFlames

    That sir, would be grand :-)

    No worries pal. I'll let you know in the next couple of weeks...

    Cheers! I can send you a couple of Blu Rays in return - Street Kings and Punisher - sound good?

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • KayJay 14 Jun 2011 20:30:05 5,287 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you don't want to wait PF I have the SL disk right here.
    I would however appreciate it if you could send it back to me once you've upgraded.

    You know, just in case in can only download Lion once and I need to keep one Mac on SL.

    Let me know.
  • PhoenixFlames 14 Jun 2011 20:32:14 8,899 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kj66246 wrote:
    If you don't want to wait PF I have the SL disk right here.
    I would however appreciate it if you could send it back to me once you've upgraded.

    You know, just in case in can only download Lion once and I need to keep one Mac on SL.

    Let me know.

    Sounds good. Depends if Phily50 doesn't mind now I've offered him some swag?

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • KayJay 14 Jun 2011 20:39:01 5,287 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, didn't mean to steal the thunder or anything Phily.
    You okay with it?

    PM me your address PF.
    I'm golfing all day tomorrow so will get it out to you Thursday.
  • silentbob 14 Jun 2011 20:52:59 28,950 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    Wireless sync they have nicked from an App developer who got their App rejected last year:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/apple-borrows-ios-5s-wi-fi-sync-from-rejected-app-submission/
    Almost the same icon too, Apple has no ideas left.
    So, you're mad at Apple for stealing a logo?

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • Deleted user 14 June 2011 20:58:22
    Yeah, I'm sure apple would never have come up with the app or logo idea themselves :D
  • Page

    of 50 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply