The best Call of Duty game thus far...?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • CharlieStCloud 12 Jun 2011 09:00:08 4,660 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Howdy folks. No, I am not an American cowboy...

Anyway!

I have played a lots of different games recently such as Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Costume Quest, Dead Space 2, Enslaved, Fable II, Mirror's Edge, Stacking and Kinect Adventures and Sports too.

I have suddenly felt like shooting things... in a game of course.

So, after fond times with Call of Duty 2 round my friends at Christmas a shy over six years, I feel compelled to buy a Call of Duty game, even though most of you happily camp around the fire with the Battlefield and Halo series. I don't want them, mainly because my friends do not play them!

I guess I am asking you guys what do you think is the best Call of Duty game thus far; answers on a postcard please.
  • Ultrasoundwave 12 Jun 2011 09:04:38 3,097 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    COD 4.

Close thread.

"Look at banner Michael!"

• dutchspeededup 12 Jun 2011 09:07:27 4,367 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    COD 4.

Close thread.

This is far and away the best one.
  • neems 12 Jun 2011 09:07:52 1,081 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For multiplayer, probably CoD 4 : Modern Combat I guess? Certainly nothing after that. For single player either 1, United Offensive (expansion pack) or 2. Or 4 again maybe.

• sport 12 Jun 2011 09:08:07 12,043 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't care, as long as I'm killing noob faggot ghey jews!!!
  • Vortextk 12 Jun 2011 09:09:12 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Whatever your friends have, since that's who you're going to play with.
  • SolidSCB 12 Jun 2011 09:10:46 5,822 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They're all shit in the grand scheme of things to me. They used to be filler games to me during the early holiday period before something better came along, now I don't bother at all. 4 was the best I played though. The other ones I played after this seemed to be trying to capture what made 4 good, but went over the top and made them miserable bottom of the barrel shit.
  • Syrette 12 Jun 2011 09:32:32 41,799 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Halo

• bad09 12 Jun 2011 09:38:24 5,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh dear you've opened yourself up for the COD hate, just wait until those sad little Battlefied idiots come in with their "people who play COD are stupid" irony :)

Ultrasoundwave has basically ended the thread with MW1, it really is the pinnacle of the series. All games after that are just a reskin of that. Now it's working BLOPs is a lot of fun and certainly the best one since MW1 but still just a reskin.
  • SolidSCB 12 Jun 2011 09:39:04 5,822 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hour of Victory.
  • Mr-Brett 12 Jun 2011 09:40:55 12,676 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has bad09 just double irony'd himself?

Anyway, yes CoD 4 is the best but Vortextk is right, play whatever your friends are playing.

Portable view - Never forget.

• urban 12 Jun 2011 09:43:23 10,892 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Call of Duty 2 for Single Player and Old School Multiplayer fun! (remember actually capturing objectives without having 1 helicopters and 2 airstrikes covering you?)

CoD 4 for Being totally revolutionary in the way that people looked at the longevity of a multiplayer game.

All the rest have been hideous and need buried. Along with this thread.
  • ibenam 12 Jun 2011 09:45:41 1,272 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    maybe he has no friends and so he has a choice ;)

in which case its cod 4!

I, and many others,still play it online to this day - it has the purest online experience without the stupid perks!
  • Dirtbox 12 Jun 2011 09:45:51 76,319 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The one before the series turned into a giant caged cow with a latex clad Kotick fawning obsequiously over it's burgeoning udders while manipulating himself to the sound of it's helpless protestations.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Syrette 12 Jun 2011 09:46:28 41,799 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The one before the series turned into a giant caged cow with a latex clad Kotick fawning obsequiously over it's burgeoning udders while manipulating himself to the sound of it's helpless protestations.

It's too early in the day for posts this good.

• Metalfish 12 Jun 2011 09:48:21 8,688 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably CoD4.

The Silly Thing(TM) is that every game since has made some great improvements but then soured the formula by either throwing the entire toybox at the player, having dull missions or forgetting what made it good in the first place.
  • JBlokeUK 12 Jun 2011 09:52:02 2,309 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Call of Duty 2 is the best one for me.

I like it when he's angry.

• NOSAVIOUR 12 Jun 2011 09:55:47 2,802 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Call of Duty 2 > Call of Duty 4 > Black op's (single player campaigns)
  • thedaveeyres 12 Jun 2011 09:56:25 9,708 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Black Ops, because it's all about the multiplayer and it's the one that has the most online users.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Deleted user 12 June 2011 10:03:50
    World at War was good online aswell as MW.

But Halo laughs in the casual faces of both of them.
  • CharlieStCloud 12 Jun 2011 10:10:03 4,660 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Huh!

So while you all had a little banter, I popped on the Xbox website to find out that there is a 'deal of the week' going on for the Call of Duty games... and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is 14.99!

I shall happily download that although I must say that I am a bit disappointed that Call of Duty 2 wasn't part of the offer... I used to love playing that.
  • Doomspoon 12 Jun 2011 10:21:36 2,353 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I agree that CoD 4 was the best of the series for it's online play. WaW was good on paper but ruined by horrible lag and hits not registering. MW 2 I still had a lot of enjoyment with but it does get silly with all of the killstreak rewards in play at once, also playing it gurantees being bombarded with spam messages from cretins wanting your account details/MS points on 360. It's also had a lot of people cheating on it. Black Ops is the weakest of recent offerings in terms of online play as far as I'm concerned (I only play two modes and they're from the standard playlist). However, in it's favour it's free from the spam bombardment present in MW2, I'm not aware of the cheating so evident in MW2 (it may well be happening, I'm just not noticing it) and although there's still the killstreak rewards they aren't quite as punishing as MW2's (except for the dogs, they're just wrong as far as I'm concerned).

If the OP is after this to be playing with friends it's likely to be the best option to just get the newest (Black Ops) as I'd guess that's what they're currently playing.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 12 Jun 2011 10:40:03 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Black ops mp is the best. Sure it's just COD 4 with tweaks, but it's definitely better.
  • bad09 12 Jun 2011 10:51:49 5,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Has bad09 just double irony'd himself?

Not really as I'm not getting involved myself. Just commenting on the embarrassingly tragic slagging BF fans do around here regarding COD fans, and how they comment on "stupid people" yet showing themselves up as incredibly stupid for knocking people for playing a game that's not their shooty bang bang of choice.
  • JonnyPx 12 Jun 2011 11:32:30 10 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    COD4 by a long shot. It was just so fun, balanced and the maps were terrific. I remember playing the SP in 2008 and thinking holy shit what good graphics aswell! If only the continuations of the series had upped their technical game. I still think that COD4 is the best looking COD, which is kinda sad seeing as it came out in 07. WAW was not as good as cod4, but it was decent. I didn't like the guns as much, nor the maps though. MW2 was fun, but honestly, i preferred the older IW engine in COD4 and WAW. I don't know what it was, it just felt more engaging. Killstreaks obv a bit annoying though lol. Blacks ops I really did not like. Maps were crap, guns I thought were so inaccurate, esp. compared to COD4. Sold it after a few months. The only reason I kept it so long was the wager matches (which were usually fun and had little lag like the main MP), and the zombie Maps which were fun played with communicating friends, but got boring after a while.
  • TechnoHippy 12 Jun 2011 11:39:29 14,636 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For me COD2 then COD4, single player at any rate. Don't do multiplayer.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• BartonFink 12 Jun 2011 11:47:28 34,777 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    COD4 for me followed by COD2. WaW can fuck right off in single player.
  • ripsa 12 Jun 2011 11:54:02 288 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CoD 4. Closely followed BlOps which is pretty awesome now after several patches and some decent extra maps. Treyarch don't have the strongest reputation as devs, but I've been really impressed with the post-release support and continued investment they've put in BlOps. Then again IW could possibly have done the same with MW2 if corporate politics hadn't got it the way.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous