Carrier Command: Gaea Mission

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Ged42 9 Jun 2011 16:38:15 7,642 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New E3 trailer for a new Carrier Command game subtitled Gaea Mission from the developer of the Arma series.

I hope this is good, I haven't played a good game of the ilk, since Hostile Waters.

[edit] Also the website
  • TechnoHippy 9 Jun 2011 16:47:09 14,640 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Could be interesting. Although a decent modern Harpoon would get me more excited.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• thedaveeyres 9 Jun 2011 17:02:19 9,715 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    C...C...Carrier Command? Really? Like the old Amiga one? OHMYFUCKINGGOD

/squees like a 16 year old virgin at a Beatles concert

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Carlo 24 Sep 2012 17:11:19 17,913 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Preorder is up on Steam. With a discount!!! http://store.steampowered.com/app/65740/

Official Site: http://www.carriercommand.com
    Youtube presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkbJNqRy7Fg

Why has this thread only got a couple of posts... no one care about this?

Edited by Carlo at 17:18:02 24-09-2012

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 24 September 2012 17:21:40
    Interested in this - had the original on the Atari ST (couldnt afford an Amiga).

Unfortunately mine was one of the early versions where you didnt have the option to speed up time when moving between islands. Meant you had to sit around for ages doing nothing!

Anyhow I digress. Ill keep an eye on this for sure but I always worry that these classic games get dumbed down or made more arcadey.
  • Carlo 24 Sep 2012 17:28:11 17,913 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hope it does get dumbed down a bit, it was hideously difficult IIRC. The presentation shows sliding scales of difficulty, in a similar way to Civilisation by the looks of it.

They appear to have put a bit of a story mode into this too... Quite like the idea that you'll have to switch into a First Person Shooter for some of it, although you can play it like the old version (as a sandbox).

I can see this being quite popular with me.

PSN ID: Djini

• RedSparrows 24 Sep 2012 18:01:21 20,757 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loved the old one. Was shit at it \o/
  • YenRug 28 Sep 2012 11:24:22 1,756 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is an impressive bit of PR:

http://www.carriercommand.com/retro-reviews.html
  • S.J.Rogers 28 Sep 2012 11:28:06 3,557 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Loved the old one. Was shit at it \o/
    This..!

I had it on the Atari ST also...
  • Dirtbox 28 Sep 2012 11:32:30 76,340 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looking forward to this and I have to agree with

Carlo wrote:
    I hope it does get dumbed down a bit

It was a hell of a learning curve to play and I didn't have a manual at the time so it was nigh on impenetrable.

This is the version I grew to love.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• RedSparrows 28 Sep 2012 11:32:37 20,757 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    360 as well?

PC all the way, I reckon.

I was so bad at CC, I don't think I ever captured more than one island.

I wonder what they have added to this.
  • Maturin 28 Sep 2012 11:34:18 2,735 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think I'll grab this from Steam over the weekend. I loved the ST original.
  • Maturin 28 Sep 2012 11:37:27 2,735 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Could be interesting. Although a decent modern Harpoon would get me more excited.
    I know you posted that ages ago. But take a look at Naval Warfare Arctic Circle - very similar to Harpoon. http://www.navalwargame.com/
  • D_arkTrooper 28 Sep 2012 12:05:45 1,285 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Really hoping this turns out to be a quality release, but this little snippet from Impulse Gamer (even though I've never heard of them before) doesn't sound promising....

"Carrier Command: Gaea Mission suffers from a classic case of 'Duke Nukem syndrome'. This game had a rather extensive development period (news of a remake has been buzzing around for about a decade) and just too much hype for anyone to expect that it would live up to all of their dreams. It sports quite a lengthy campaign so you won't be finishing it in a day, but with the poor gameplay, bugs and issues you'll face along the way, you may not even end up finishing it."

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• monkehhh 28 Sep 2012 12:08:31 3,130 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As it's from the Arma people I imagine (even hope) it's a huge, glorious mess.
  • YenRug 28 Sep 2012 12:37:29 1,756 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    "Carrier Command: Gaea Mission suffers from a classic case of 'Duke Nukem syndrome'. This game had a rather extensive development period (news of a remake has been buzzing around for about a decade)
    What a load of rubbish, just because people keep on saying they would like to see a remake, or developers claim something they're working on has been influenced by it, does not mean it's been floating around in development hell. Bohemia Interactive have been actively developing it for around 2 years, with steady progress, not like 3D Realms' 10 years with nothing to show for it.

and just too much hype for anyone to expect that it would live up to all of their dreams.
    What hype? There's been no repeated claims of "Oh, it'll be out next Autumn." (repeat ad infinitum) or claims of "It'll be the best thing ever!" followed up with excuses about changing game engines. BI have just been doing normal PR and behind the scenes, like most modern games do.

It sports quite a lengthy campaign so you won't be finishing it in a day, but with the poor gameplay, bugs and issues you'll face along the way, you may not even end up finishing it."
    Well, I can't say anything about bugs, other than I know BI have a reputation of releasing games with a fair amount of bugs and then patching to death afterwards.

It sounds like the writer at Impulse Gamer has let his imagination do the writing for him, presuming that all the talk of Carrier Command remakes/sequels have all been down to one company all of this time; in reality, it's just been loads of hot air/wishful thinking followed up by someone who decided they would do it for real and persisted at it.
  • D_arkTrooper 28 Sep 2012 21:51:45 1,285 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So has anyone had this off Steam yet? I think it went live at 7pm (U.K time).

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• riz23 28 Sep 2012 22:14:44 1,053 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm waiting for my 360 copy. I don't know why I ordered it on console. I'm hoping it's not a travesty. Fond memories of the original and Hostile Waters (which I still have).
  • Deleted user 28 September 2012 23:45:31
    No demo on 360 yet ?
  • Dirtbox 29 Sep 2012 00:45:56 76,340 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    D_arkTrooper wrote:
    So has anyone had this off Steam yet? I think it went live at 7pm (U.K time).
    Going to wait for some reviews before buying. It's got an extremely high tits up factor.

• Dirtbox 30 Sep 2012 06:57:37 76,340 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Okay, what the fuck is this primative, utterly generic, linear corridor FPS with horrific voice acting and bad animation?

It's like Chrome, if anyone remembers that. And that isn't a particularly good thing.

• Clive_Dunn 30 Sep 2012 07:13:19 4,762 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What happened to waiting for reviews ?
  • Dirtbox 30 Sep 2012 07:54:59 76,340 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I decided to review it myself.

• monkehhh 30 Sep 2012 09:17:50 3,130 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The main character is seemingly voiced by the comedy mockney Saints Row guy, the indoor sections seem to last about 30 metres before the next door, the movement is your standard Arma shit-fest where your character seems to have legs that are a foot long so he has to move them at 5 times the normal speed, you get one gun ('rifle') at the start with one setting ('shoot'), you're a team of 3 conquering an archipelago (no idea why).

The outdoor sections in the Walrus look nicer as the Arma engine can do scale pretty well at least.

I'm only up to driving around on the second island - I was expecting some crazy sandbox battlefield game, not got it yet.

Edited by monkehhh at 09:18:11 30-09-2012
  • Scimarad 30 Sep 2012 09:31:59 8,501 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @monkehhh

I think the 'Strategy Game' option is effectively the original Carrier Command whereas Campaign slowly introduces the various features. I've not played it much so far but I was glad to get out of the FPS bit - That was bloody awful! Also the main male character's voice actor is SO irritating!

My brief go at controlling the Walrus(es) was much better, though.
  • monkehhh 30 Sep 2012 09:33:25 3,130 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Scimarad That's a point, I only tried campaign so far.. maybe strategy is amazing ;)
  • Dirtbox 30 Sep 2012 10:11:45 76,340 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    God I hope so, because that 'campaign' is just dire.

• monkehhh 30 Sep 2012 10:53:00 3,130 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had a brief moment of fun.. put it in strategy mode, took a Walrus on to the island, fired my carrier's big gun at it from 1km away, switched back to the Walrus and watched it explode (after about ten adjustment shots).

Strategy seems more like it, but it's still so dry-ly presented and dull and lifeless.. and it expects you to have done a fair bit of the campaign to know what you're doing.
  • Dirtbox 30 Sep 2012 11:14:59 76,340 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I won't be buying this.

• monkehhh 30 Sep 2012 11:36:07 3,130 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One more go.. swiftly coming to the inclusion this is a steaming turd though.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous